71.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implant expansion during chemo...anyone had this...???

15 REPLIES 15
riversidedawn

Re: Implant expansion during chemo...anyone had this...???

I'm only a B cup too - used to be C before kids, and went down probably to A during chemo when I lost weight but that's all piled on again now! We had to rush to fill it in one sitting because of radiotherapy. I had about 100ml put in during the op, then 150ml the other day.

Smurf77

I've no idea how many more, my surgeon said maybe 3 (including the reduction of fluid at end) but the doctor that does the saline injections said he'd be surprised if I needed more than one more as it's already almost same size as righty. I should add I've still got adolescent breasts ie an A cup or at a push a B cup. Going back in 4 weeks and will be seeing them both together at that appointment so should find out then.

Paha I like your reasoning behind Dolly!

I wonder if you can buy a name book for breasts...??
riversidedawn

Glad it went well. Do you have more inflations to go? Mine's been about 12 days now and no pain. I am aware of it and not comfy to lie face down on a hard floor, but sleeping on my front is fine. The port is annoying.

Mine's Dolly as it will give Miss Parton a run for her money!! Looks rather large compared to Droopy but apparently it might shrink with radiotherapy, if it doesn't then surgeon will take a bit of saline out to get as even as possible.

Amazing how the lumps and bumps go with a bit of filler isn't it?!

Smurf77

Hmm, I can't believe how easy that was so I'm waiting for the pain to set in or something to go wrong...

It's called John after John Merrick, The Elephant Man because it's lumpy and bumpy (or it was before today)

I'm going to rename it once it's full size and has an areola so will wait and see what the finished article looks like in a few months time.

Why is yours Dolly?
riversidedawn

Hope it goes well Smurf77. I was the same, excited but nervous. Surgeon kept on telling me to breath as I was obviously holding my breath throughout! Mine's now called Dolly - why is yours John??

Smurf77

Having John expanded this morning and I feel sick with nerves and excitement.....EEEK!!

Looking forward to the day my left boobie is bigger than my belly again 😂 😂 xx
riversidedawn

I had my expansion last Thursday, 4 weeks after surgery. Surgeon wanted to make sure scar was fully healed first. As I had rads planning the following Monday she decided to the full 150,ml in 3x 50 at one sitting - would normally be over several weeks! Feel fine, boob is pert but am told it might shrink during rads so keeping my optimistic hat on! I finished chemo 10th April and had expander implant 20 may, pumped up last Thursday - whatever that date was as I've list track lol
riversidedawn

I had my expansion last Thursday, 4 weeks after surgery. Surgeon wanted to make sure scar was fully healed first. As I had rads planning the following Monday she decided to the full 150,ml in 3x 50 at one sitting - would normally be over several weeks! Feel fine, boob is pert but am told it might shrink during rads so keeping my optimistic hat on! I finished chemo 10th April and had expander implant 20 may, pumped up last Thursday - whatever that date was as I've list track lol
Smurf77

I was read this and thought why did they wait 5 weeks to start my chemo after my surgery then I remembered I had IVF and my eggs frozen in between - yet more joy of the BC gift!!

How does it feel after being expanded, is it very painful? I was only an A/B cup before mastectomy so I can't imagine they'll need to pump John up much as he's already half the size of my good boobie.

x

evs_71

My plan was to have chemo first and then surgery, but FEC didn't work, so surgery brought forward. Anyway 5 weeks ago had expander implant fitted during mastectomy and had it expanded during surgery and twice since. Restarted on T chemo yesterday and due to be expanded in about 4 weeks, which is just after my next chemo. My consultant just said to watch with dates so that expansion didn't coincide with low blood count period as they are sticking a needle into the skin, so a risk of introduing infection. Good Luck. I'm quite small, so it shouldn't take much more expansion, and already looking ok with a bra on, just a bit perkier than the natural boob 😉
Smurf77

Bloods suitably scolded and behaving themselves for now...

Thanks for the heads up re: expansion, I saw my oncologst last Thursday and she was like 'why did they say I'd want you to wait' so, thankfully John will be expanded for the first time next week - I don't know whether to be excited to not be so lopsided or scared of any pain it might cause...oh well, only 7 sleeps to get through!

xx

riversidedawn

All my infections appeared at day 8 after chemo just when immune system is at its lowest. I literally woke up feeling totally rubbish, unable to get up. High temperature feeling hot and cold. Also very red boob. It was pretty obvious! Hope your bloods behave now!
Smurf77

Very helpful thank you!

My Breast team implied oncology would want to finish my treatment (chemo then rads) prior to the expansion so that's something to clarify tomorrow with my oncologist.

How did you realise you had an infection if you don't mind me asking? I spent Sunday night in hospital due to low temperature and the docs said I was neutropenic so had to spend the night with iv antibiotics, they did feel around to see if there was an infection but couldn't spot anything obvious..?!

Good luck with your expansion tomorrow 🙂 x
riversidedawn

Smurf, bit of a long story, but hope it helps!! I had mx and implant sepetmber 14, got a infection. Then after 2 boubts of chemo had to have it removed in December. Continued with chemo to April then had expander put in in may. Hoping to have it expanded tomorrow as rads planning on Monday the start on 1st July.

The breast needs to be at its finished/ optinmal size for rafs planning ad they take very detailed measurements.

Is that waffle any use to anyone,? Good luck/!
June_BCC

Hello Smurf77

While you are waiting for replies could I suggest that you give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are there to support you through this, lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Smurf77

Implant expansion during chemo...anyone had this...???

Has anyone had an expander implant expanded during their chemo before?

I am only a 3rd of my way through my FEC-T treatment and recently asked my surgeon if I could have John (my implant) expanded during my chemo as I am getting a little fed up with the lopsided look, I really don't want to wait until November when treatment is due to end but he was quite vague with his reply. I appreciate that my chemo and radio must take priorty over reconstruction but I'm struggling with not being given a definitive answer...is there anyone else on here in this situation??

I have an appointment next week with oncology so I'll be asking them too (hoping) for an answer...fingers crossed for helpful feedback!

Thanks S x