Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implant following unsuccessful lipomodelling

12 REPLIES 12
Julia

Re: Implant following unsuccessful lipomodelling

Hi TracyH

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had. In the end I decided not to have implants.  My last operation (in August) was the third attempt at fat filling on the reconstructed breast and an uplift on the "good" breast to ensure they matched.  After the mastectomy in July 2015 and three further operations, I am fairly happy with the result.  My surgeon and I discussed a possible final fat filling in a year's time once everything has completely settled down, if I wish.  From an aesthetic point of view, with a bra on, you cannot tell I've had a mastectomy.  With no bra, there is a big difference in nipple size but apart from that, pretty well matched.  On physical side, my reconstructed breast pulls to the left when I move my arm which is annoying but apart from having botox injections, they could not do anything about this.  It also feels very tight running from the front of the the breast into the armpit.  But I have kind of got used to it!  Good luck with any further operations you undergo.  It's such a long process...!!! 

Julia

Hi Dawn

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had. In the end I decided not to have implants.  My last operation (in August) was the third attempt at fat filling on the reconstructed breast and an uplift on the "good" breast to ensure they matched.  After the mastectomy in July 2015 and three further operations, I am fairly happy with the result.  My surgeon and I discussed a possible final fat filling in a year's time once everything has completely settled down, if I wish.  From an aesthetic point of view, with a bra on, you cannot tell I've had a mastectomy.  With no bra, there is a big difference in nipple size but apart from that, pretty well matched.  On physical side, my reconstructed breast pulls to the left when I move my arm which is annoying but apart from having botox injections, they could not do anything about this.  It also feels very tight running from the front of the the breast into the armpit.  But I have kind of got used to it!  Good luck with any further operations you undergo.  It's such a long process...!!! 

tracyH

Hello Julia
I had a bilat mastectomy with LD flap and implants, they deflated and necessitated replacing the surgery etc cost us £20k, the new implants done NHS are seriously painful, consultants have described them as being oversized, I feel as though I am carrying a bag of laundry on my back with exceptionally painful fronts, think twice, what about the DIEP, would that be a better option I am researching it at the moment BUT few consultants do it on NHS and we cannot afford another £20K, yet the NHS will pay for a hip replacement!
riversidedawn

It's a pleasure to know that my experiences may help others x
Julia

Thank you for all that information Dawn!
riversidedawn

Hi Julia, my friend is delighted with her new boobs. No loss of nipple sensation, in fact it's more sensitive than before!! She says they are comfortable about 5 weeks on. The good side has a little more bounce than the bad one.
Julia

Sorry Dawn, thought I had replied to you but is showing as separate post! Not used to these forums..
Julia

Hi Dawn

Thank you so much for all that information!  That really helps and has given me hope..

One question, do you know whether your friend has discomfort from the implants?  As I have a significant amount of pulling, tightness etc from the reconstruction, am concerned that if I have implants that will be further discomfort.  But I would really be keen to have something that I'm happy with and for both breasts to match!  Also, has the implant in the "good" breast resulting in any loss of feeling do you know?  Think I would be keen to have an implant in both as well if I go ahead as it might stop the normal "gravity" in one and not the other!!  Just had my first mammogram on the other since the cancer and awaiting the result...  Will decide what to do after that.  Thanks again! 🙂

Julia

riversidedawn

Hi Julia I had mx with immediate implant recon back in Sept 14, unfortunately it got infected during chemo so had it removed. After chemo I had a tissue expander implant put in - the idea is to stretch the skin in order to take a permanent implant later, this might be an idea for you to discuss with your surgeon. I had the expander put in in May 15, had radiotherapy in July which did tighten it, but had my permanent implant put in 3 weeks ago and it feels so much better. Yes it's a bit harder and firmer than the natural one (which my surgeon uplifted at the same time) but so far the result is very good.

A friend of mine had a mx the year before me with no reconstruction. She then had a DIEP flap but that failed, so had LD flap. The intention was to have an implant later on, but the surgeon decided fat flilling like you describe would be enough. Like you she was terribly disappointed. GOOD NEWS - I recommended her to see my surgeon who put in an implant and also a smaller implant into her good breast. She is now the very proud owner of a pair of pert 36Cs when she used to have As! She was back on her horse within 2 weeks of the op and feels fantastic.

I hope that gives you a bit of reassurance - discuss all the options with your surgeon, or seek a second opinion. 

All the best Dawn 

Julia

Thank you for your reply.  I wish I'd had an immediate implant.  As the surgeon thought he could recreate without using an implant but just fat transfer, it was left.  I already have constant tightness so wondered whether an  implant on top of this would make the discomfort even worse.  

Thanks again.  

Julia

Yvie178

Hello Julia

I had an immediate implant reconstruction in Feb 14, using an acellular dermal matrix.  I think the main thing you need to consider is that your reconstructed breast will always feel different to your real one.  I am aware of my implant, and even now if I cut bread or try and do press ups it is uncomfortable.  But saying all that I would still do it again.  I also had some lipo fat transfer to a massive dent I have above the implant - luckily most of this has survived. 

Lizzy_BCC

Hi Julia, 

I am sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time and have had some hard decisions to make. I am sure users will be along soon to share their experiences and offer their support soon.

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about the procedures and offer a friendly ear. I have placed the opening times below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Julia

Implant following unsuccessful lipomodelling

Hello

I wonder if anyone could help with my enquiry.  I had a mastectomy last May with immediate reconstruction (muscle taken from the back) but no implant.  My surgeon suggested just lipomodelling to create the new breast once I'd healed from the mastectomy.  In September I had the first lipomodelling taking fat from my thighs.  Within 3 weeks most of the fat had reabsorbed back into the body although I was left with a small amount.  Had a second go in February.  This also had reabsorbed and I'm a lot smaller than the other untreated breast (although I am only a 34C size).  I have quite considerable tightness and muscle constriction which makes my breast jerk to one side.  The surgeon suggested that he would put in an small implant if this second lipomodelling op didn't work.  

I have read that implants can feel like foreign objects.  Although i would like the procedure, as I already have tightness and restriction am wondered that if I go ahead, the discomfort will be even worse.

Have anyone had a similar experience please?

Thanks for reading.

Julia