Implant in good side

Hi, I had ld recon about 18 months ago and uplift on good side. However I am still uneven and although look ok in bra not so happy without one. Surgeon recommends implant in good side and increase size of recon (expander and port still in). Has anyone had this done and what was it like? I am a bit worried about having implant in case it is uncomfortable, but assume as people choose to have boob jobs it can’t be too bad. Have booked op for 2 weeks so am getting cold feet and wondering whether it’s worth it. ie. going through the pain, no driving and if I get ill again is it a waste of time (sorry but has been playing on my mind as was diagnosed 3 years ago). Any advise would be welcome.
Thanks

Hi Michelle

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences it may help to talk this through with one of our trained members of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you share your feelings and concerns with someone who can offer you support and information. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

Sometimes just talking things through can really help so please give them a ring.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi Michelle

Think positively,healthy mind,promotes healthy body.I had a lumpectomy in June 2007(my third primary cancer)followed by radiotherapy,no nodes affected,although all removed on left side to ensure all ok,which they were.I am now slighty larger on the affected side due to the radiotherapy and uneven.I am booked in for a fat transfer(via lipo from my thigh) to go into the affected breast to improve symmetry and the healthy breast is having an implant put in to create a nicecosmetic finish.Doctor advised would never put an implant into a breast affected with cancer as it cannot be checked correctly via mammograms hence fat transfer.I am not worried at all about this and I am getting quite excited(although I will be a little nervous on the day) as the end result will be fuller ,perky breasts than I even had before,with liposuction thrown in(wonderful)Honestly Michelle I was first diagnosed at the age of 30,8 years ago and at that time,truly believed I would die as I had a high grade rare triton tumour in my left thigh,followed by extensive chemo(which was horrific),then radiotherapy,truly the worst 2 years of my life,however on her ward rounds every day my Oncologist Prof B said there were people on the wards with a better prognosis than me,however I would live and they probably would not as I always believed I would survive(after the initial shock) and they did not and that the power of the mind was something she and a lot of her team truly believed in.Michelle go ahead with your op,dont think about getting sick again,the worst is over,the day you are told,nothing beats that(and you know that).Good Luck

Hi Michelle,

The only personal experience I can add to this is that I had a skins sparing mx and immediate LD recon 4 weeks ago, I didnt have enough fat/tissue to re-fill my cancer boob so they put a small implant in. I’d only ever thought about cosmetic surgery as something I would like but probably wouldn’t bother with. So far I have had no trouble with the implant and my doc was happy to put an implant into that boob (maybe because there is no breast tissue left inside the skin). He told me the other day that he will do an uplift on the other side (not sure when but prob not for sometime) and that may involve an implant. Having had such a major op as the mx and recon the thought of more surgery is more than a bit scary but as my cancer boob now looks pretty fab (excepting it has no nipple yet) I can see that having the work done on the other side I might well end up with better boobs than before and that seems rather nice having had to go through all this stuff and chemo to come.

Its a personal choice I guess but if you’re not happy with how you look now maybe go for it. As you say women have cosmetic surgery all the time to boobs with little problems for the sake of vanity not because they are trying to balance themselves following some major incident/surgery etc.

If I can recover from the mx and recon then I’m hoping the implant and uplift on the other side I’m hoping will be a walk in the park.

Best of luck, xxx

Hi Michelle I had an implant on my good side when I had my expander and port removed and the permanenet implant on mastectomy side .
The good side caused no probs at all just a ibit tender the mx side still very tight and uncomfortable now but massaging it every day x