1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implant issues or something more scary?

10 REPLIES 10
powerjen

Re: Implant issues or something more scary?

Hi there,
so sorry to hear your news, lets hope the chemo and rads works well for you.here's hoping for clear scans for you. I know how hard it must be telling your kids, my daughter is 12 in October , when I had bc in 2008 I did my best to shield her but she asked me if I was getting the same treatment as jade goody because she also had no hair!
as Annie said in the above post, you can still have good outcomes with a recurrence, try to hang onto that, sending you best wishes xx
i have not yet got my result grrrrrr !

Bakeswhenstres

Powerjen, I would definitely push for a fine needle biopsy, my consultant said they always do one no matter what the scans showed. She also is completely mystified why my MRI looked clear, you could see the tumour as a little black hole but apparently it should have lit up like a belisha beacon when they gave me the contrast injection, and it didn't.
So I was hoping Wednesday would at least leave me with a timetable for treatment, but not yet. It is a recurrence of the cancer, grade 3 again, don't know hormone and herceptin yet. Now I'm getting a battery of tests to check whether it has spread anywhere else, including various bloods, CT, PET and bone scan. Oh and an ECG as the tumour is attached to my sternum right over my heart. Have told my parents the ECG is just to check general fitness prior to treatment - can't cope with having them panicking further at present. So my follow up appointment with the oncologist isn't for four weeks, then he said it would probably be a further 2.5 weeks before I actually started treatment. Seems a long time to wait.
When they do treat, it's be medically to start with, as the tumour is stuck to the breastbone and has to be shrunk. Chemo and rads together - can't quite get my head around that one. Then surgery, probably have to have the implant removed but the surgeon's promised me a nice reconstruction.
Wednesday evening was also the night I told my two children, aged 8 and 12. My older girl is taking it hard, she was up late last night asking me if I was positive I wasn't going to die. How do you answer that one? I don't want to make promises I can't keep - all I could say was that the doctors were going to do their very best and give me as much medecine as possible to try and make sure that doesn't happen.
Powerjen, have you had your results yet? Hope you have had better luck than me - fingers crossed for you.
powerjen

Hope all goes well on Wednesday for you x

Bakeswhenstres

The aspiration was to determine whether it was just scar tissue related to the implant, in which case she would have recommended leaving it alone, or whether the implant had actually ruptured slightly and the lump was a silicone granuloma, in which case it would need to have been removed. I don't understand why both the MRI and ultrasound appeared clear and didn't really get an opportunity to ask yesterday, they were so keen to get this biopsy done asap. Plus once chemo had been mentioned I kind of went into panic mode! I plan to ask on Wednesday though. To be fair, they always were planning on a fine needle biopsy.
powerjen

Hi there, sorry to ask but if the mri looked good, why did the consultant do an aspiration? i thought maybe they could tell what was going on from the mri, if my result comes back ok should i ask for a biopsy ? so sorry the news was not better, you will manage to fight this bugger again, you did before. as annie said the outcome can be good , i share how you feel though i don't know how i will be if it is a recurrence
take care x

Bakeswhenstres

Latest update - MRI scan looked good, but my usual consultant did a fine needle aspiration to check whether it was scar tissue or leaking implant. Went back today to be told they found breast cells that shouldn't be there which may well be a sign of a local recurrence. They did a bigger biopsy today, but we're now making noises about the full rounds of chemo, surgery and rads again. I don't know if I can handle all that again and am still reeling after having gone in expecting good news today.
Thanks for your comments Annie, it's something to hang on to that there are still really good outcomes possible at this stage.
Powerjen, hope it goes well for you, let us know how it goes.
powerjen

hi folks,
yeah the breast mri was like medieval torture! needle in on 3rd attempt.Not as much a pincushion as bakes when stressed. Results 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for your input Annnie, so sorry you had a recurrence.Fingers crossed for you bakes when stressed, i guess there a lot of goodies coming out your kitchen just now!

Annie22

Hi both,
I found a lump in my reconstruction, but it wasn't tender at all. For me, it was cancer growing in the reconstruction. I had a lumpectomy, chemo, rads, herceptin and now 18 months in to 5 years of hormone treatment but the worst is over - except that I have a very strange boob.
I managed to keep my implant (despite scare stories about it possibly going hard under radiotherapy).
I asked about an MRI at the time and my onc. said it was only useful if the biopsy on the new lump had shown it was cancer, as it was to check there was nothing else and no spread (which there wasn't).
I hope that for both of you it is scar tissue, but just wanted to say that even if it isn't there are still really good outcomes
Good luck
Annie

Bakeswhenstres

MRI scan was today. Feeling like a pincushion - took two pinpricks to get a blood glucose level and two attempts to fit a cannula! Also had to run three of the sequences twice because I was breathing too much! Results in a week. Lots of baking planned as a distraction.
Any news on your scan powerjen?
powerjen

hi, as you said in my post we are both awaiting MRI, I am 5 years since diagnosis and they think my lump is scar tissue . I hope your MRI shows nothing to worry about
x

Bakeswhenstres

Implant issues or something more scary?

No offence, but I hoped never to be back here again! Nearly six years since diagnosis, and I found a hard, tender lump very near the old cancer site. Have seen consultant and had an ultrasound, and she thinks it's probably related to my implant. Now awaiting an appointment for an MRI as they were unable to do a biopsy as planned in case they ruptured the implant.
It's just so hard to face all this again, and as far as I can gather, best case scenario still involves surgery to remove the old implant and a decision as to what, if any, reconstruction I want to replace it with.
Anyone experienced anything similar and can offer some words of wisdom?