cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implantable port fitted after 2nd FEC caused thrombophletis

4 REPLIES 4
Nikki49

Re: Implantable port fitted after 2nd FEC caused thrombophletis

I had my portacath fitted a few days before chemo. I had 6 cycles of fec-t, starting in September last year and after hearing what happened to many of the girls in my group I am so thankful I was given the opportunity to choose. My mother is a retired theatre nurse and told me to have a portacath. When I received chemo I didn't feel a thing. Hope this helps, good luck x
Franci

Hi Macky
The reasons an oncologist would recommend a Port or picc line are if you have a very long course of Chemo, because your veins are too thin or there has been a problem like mine.
Before I started Chemo my oncolobgist looked at my veins and said they looked large and strong enough so did my first chemo nurse during my preassessment. I now wish I had been offered the port from the start as my arm reacted so badly to the cannula after 2nd FEC. Each person is different.
I haven't used my port yet so don't yet know how it'll be. But from what I have heard from others it's much easier. I hope this helps in your choice of which method to go for.
Good luck my dear. I pray you have a smooth journey ahead.
Franci x
Bluesky123

Hi, I'm due to start cemotherapy soon and have been worrying about having to have a port or picc line fitted. I know very little about it, only what I've read on line, are these methods used if there is a problem with cannulating a vein? I'm just not sure what to expect. Macky.

Kess

I had problems with my first EC and so had the Port fitted just before my second. They couldn't use it on the second in the end (too much swelling) but it was fine for the other 6, and made it go much easier.

My arm was only mildly impacted but it took about 5 months before it was almost back to normal.
Franci

Implantable port fitted after 2nd FEC caused thrombophletis

Has anyone had their implantable port fitted after starting chemo? How was it for you? Did your following chemo through port go smoothly?
I'm having 3xFEC and 3xDocetaxel cycles.
2 days after 2nd FEC (1st July) my hand and lower arm veins became inflamed. Oncologist diagnosed thrombophletis. So I had a port fitted 3 days ago. 3rd FEC on 22nd Juky. My arm is getting better. Can anyone tell me how long there arm took to heal?
Will chemo still affect my arm veins even afyer it goes through a port? Any info or helpful advise would be great.
As now with two affected arms one from Axillary clearance and the other by this I need reasurrance I'll get stregth to arms back.
Thanks so much
Franci x