cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Injections

11 REPLIES 11
Snoozysuz

Re: Injections

Thanks Sue, just something else to add to the list of questions I have when I start chemo on Tuesday. Luckily I also have a friend whose a nurse so I'll just pester her if need be lol x
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi

Please don't panic, it appears that not everyone has them. I think it depends on what treatment you have. I'm on TC chemo, 4 cycles every 3 weeks. I have injections on days 3-7, to boost the white blood cells which was put in to place by my consultant. If you need them, the nurse will go through it with you when you start your treatment.

They are not painful at all, it's just I don't like doing it myself! Now have a lovely friend/nurse that comes round to do it for me.

Sending hugs

Sue

Snoozysuz

Hi everyone, excuse my ignorance, but what injections are these? I start chemo on Tuesday but haven't been told anything about injections I have to do myself. Now I'm panicking even more!
Kath64

Hi

I had first treatment today and will have district nurse to come and give first injection on Wednesday but will have to do rest myself. Not something I am looking forward to!

Kath
Happyboobs2

Well done to the ladies who manage their own injections however please accept that there is many of us who would rather not.

xx

OnceWild

I had the injections for 7 days after each round of EC. Was delighted when my needle phobic hubby offered to do them for me as I didn't want to bother District Nurses/ wait in for them wondering when they might be able to pop in. We got it off to a fine art which included me holding the part of my tummy still with a tissue over my face! This way hubby couldn't see me grimace and I couldn't see him brace himself! Hardly ever hurt thank goodness and was therefore a positive experience for us both - hubby glad to be able to help and also pleased with all the praise he got for being so brave! 

blueash
Community Champion

I was horrified at having to do this but I must have a sterner nurse than the rest of you. She told me they teach 8 year olds to do it and I ought not to waste their time with something so trivial. So she talked me through it and I got on and did it - well actually my husband has done most of them because I hesitate and he just takes over.

Does everyone have these injections? Only on one thread a few are having very low bloods and i wondered if they were getting them.

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi all

Interesting to hear it's not just me. 

Have now found a lovely friend/nurse who is willing to come out and do this for me.

I get the impression that the nurses have such a large case load that they are being pressured from above, and encouraging us to do this ourselves. Shame these people have got no idea how hard chemo is in the first week.

Just a thought.....if you contacted your surgery, would a nurse there be prepared to come out? Not tried, but was going to be my next call.

Take it easy

Sue x

Happyboobs2

Hi Leanne,

yes it is very stressful at a time when you really don't feel very well.

It was the weak link in my treatment, everything else ran very smoothly and efficiently. I hope you are ok and get your strength back quickly.

xx

leanne

I'm having exactly this problem getting it done at the GPs.  They seem quite taken aback that I don't want to do it myself and are leaving it to me to sort out all the appointments.  The nurse at the GP's can't do me on Wednesday so I'm going to have to find a drop-in centre to get injected in apparently.

Happyboobs2

Hi, yes I had problems with this, over the 20 injections I needed I was forgotten on at least four occasions, very stressful especially over the weekend when I didn't know who to turn to.I would have done them myself but it was a powder that had to be mixed with water and the needle changed, rather archaic I thought.I would have coped with a made up syringe.
Good Luck
xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Injections

Hi

Anyone else experiencing problems with getting their 5 injections carried out by the district nurses? This is not something I feel I can do myself but the nursing team seem to be very reluctant to come out and help me. Suggested today that I go to the surgery and get it down! Can't even get out of bed lol. It's upsetting that professionals don't seem to be very sympathetic at this difficult time.

Annoyed

Sue x