Insomnia.............

Hi

At present I am suffering from insomnia! I can get to sleep but staying asleep is almost impossible…by 5.00am Im wide awake! I have tried going to bed later, earlier, I dont nap during the day - I even tried Nytol which worked for a bit. I am getting quite frustrated with it!
I told my nurse last week and she just asked me to see how I go this week
I dont know if im worrying over my blood results (today) kids going back to school (today) or my parents movng to spain (possibly November) Or even a combination of all.
I would consider myself to be an upbeat happy and jokey person. I like to make others laugh! but this sleep deprivation is an added bummer!

The upside my cat enjoys early morning cuddles and the kids brekkies are ready!
Oh and OH gets a cuppa in bed!!!LOL
I hope everyone is ok…
Take Care
Mel
xxxx

Hi Mel,

I asked my GP for a mild sleeping tablet and something to keep me calm soon as I was diagnosed because I knew I would be a nervous wreck for awhile… she gave me 2 different tablets to take as needed. The only time I used the sleeping tablet was for 3 nights after chemo cos I was so wired from steroids… I don’t like to take meds but I feel so much better when I can sleep. Also if I get quite low emotionally a good night’s sleep helps with that too. Hope u get it sorted soon… u need to rest expecially wiith little ones to tend to.

hugs,
Lee

Hi Mel

Ah sorry you are having a tough time right now, with sleep and worrying about your bloods. Posted on other thread for that wishing you luck today. Think you should persist asking docs, onc or nurse about getting something to help you sleep, as you need your rest especially when having your chemo. There must be something they can prescribed for you in the interim. I have to say, it is probably a mix of everything happening in your life and you are probably stressing about it all much more than you think which is stopping you being able to sleep. I was a nightmare between my tests and being told had bc and then waiting for other results too, and wasn’t sleeping at all well. Keep pestering them til they give in. With your kids too, you need sleep, I know I do, running around after them all day.

I really really do hope that your bloods are OK today and that you can have your second chemo session tomorrow. Think pyschologically you need it to happen to help you as well. Keep smiling and be positive and fingers crossed everything OK today.

Let us know how you go.

Take care and lots of love
Dawn
xx

Insomnia is a nightmare. I am not sure if mine is down to chemo, Zoladex or general stress. Trying to deal with cancer stress by going to support group and that really helps. Just had 3rd epi and nurse gave me sleeping tablets for first time. Took one last night but did not zonk me as much as I had hoped, was still up throwing covers on and off on several occasions. However, I wonder once the steroids finish it will work better. They cause me acute insomnia and maybe the sleeping tablets cannot overcome that. Don’t want to get hooked on them, but felt the time was right to try and only let her give me 5.

Hi Sinclair,

I can totaly sympathise with you.

I had my 2nd FEC Thursday, sick as a dog Friday. They forgot my perscription for ingestion so had to make a big real effort to go to my GP for some as this another horrible problem - but it is doable… and as for sleeping, well im tossing turning, up & down. thank god poor OH is on nights! I have my last steriod before 4pm but this stil does not help. my brain is on overtime but my body well lets just say it is very tired! I am at the moment getting about 4 - 5 hrs disturbed sleep!
I think that as you say once the steriods have finished it may be better!!!

Hope it gets beter for you
Thinking of you
TC
Mel
x

I have had really bad sleeping probs and have tried the pills with lots of help from gp I now have at least 2hrs non stop sleep a night whoopee… Have you a radio or i-pod ? I plug in at night and find that I can at least chill to that and it doesnt disturb OH there are some really interesting progs at night world service radio 5 live try it out…If you can at least relax and not pace the house and of course there are other things to do in the middle of the night IRONING HOUSEWORK not my scene I’d rather lie and listen to the radio…

Hi Mel,

just a thought, what time are you taking your second dose of steroids during the day? If you take them any later than 2pm this could possibly be the cause of your insomnia. I was warned not to take them any later than 2, and the one time I did there was hell on! I couldn’t stay asleep for love nor money!!! Now, I always make sure I have an early lunch, around 12.30 and take my steriods then. Thankfully I’ve never suffered with insmonia since.

If its not likely that the steroids are the cause, have you tried the old faithfuls such as a nice warm bath with lavender oil or a warm milky drink? Perhaps your doc could prescribe a sleeping tablet that may me stronger than the Nytol? You prob are more stressed out than you maybe realise too and am having trouble ‘switching off’.

Take care and I hope you get a good nights sleep asap,

Kelly
-x-