Insurance Policy Death or terminal illness

I would like to know if others are in the same situation. I purchased life and terminal illness insurance not critical illness. Having been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in 2015 in my spine following my lumpectomy in 2011 I am unable to claim for terminal illness as the insurance company request that my consultant confirm I am not expected to live for 12 months. It is of course good news that my consultant believes I should be alive for another 12 months; however I don’t believe the consultants should be put in this situation as they are not 100% sure either way and if they were asked is the patient expected to die within the next 12 months the consultants may be less likely to complete this section on the insurance form as I’m sure there must always be doubt - we all know that Cancer is different in everybody and it is unfair to categorise a time length. Is Terminal Terminal or 12 months?

Hi I have just had my claim accepted but I have bone, pleura and liver mets. Secondaries in the bones can be treatable for many years so it isn’t classed as terminal (less than 12 months).  I have had bone mets for 3 years which are still stable (fingers crossed!). My Onc can’t predict my situation but I have progression and there is limited treatment left, particularly as I am triple negative. Hope this helps a bit.  Take care xx