Inverted nipple (one side) started in pregnancy

Hi, I’m new here and extremely anxious. I’m 33 and have a 6 week old baby who I’m exclusively breast feeding. My left nipple became inverted when I was 37 weeks pregnant. At my post natal check this week, my gp has referred me to a breast clinic. She examined me and couldn’t find any thing abnormal, no lumps or dimples etc. I have itching to the breast/nipple but suffer with eczema so don’t know if it’s related or not. I also have a 2 year old. I’m really worried now that the nipple inversion is something suspicious. Gp didn’t seem overly concerned but I’m panicking. I’m also worried because I’m Breastfeeding my baby and don’t know if I should be feeding from that side. I’m kicking myself that I didn’t get it checked out sooner but things have been a bit hectic with baby and Christmas etc. There is no family history of breast cancer as far as I know. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any advice? I’m so worried.

Hi Helroe and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you have this worry, whilst you await replies please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your concerns through. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to the BCC information about referral to the breast clinic which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/referral-breast-clinic

Take care
Lucy BCC