Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 64 too old?

9 REPLIES 9
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Is 64 too old?

Hi Maggie

Go for reconstruction if thats what you want. But just wanted to say (after reading Cathy's post) that I've found my lightweight prosthesis very easy to wear...not like a harness, not horrible and just absolutely fine. Never wanted a recon. and have found living with one breast really OK (don't like having cancer though.)

best wishes

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

If you want to have a recon why not, you're not old. Don't worry about what people think, it's what you think that's important.

Take care

ForumMember

Hi Maggie

I can understand your concerns but at your 64 it is hardly past it, is it, besides which if you can have an operation which boosts morale by making you feel better, this will have a direct impact on your wellbeing. Good health is about so much more about being fit physically - it is about your emotional and psychological needs too. My mum had a bilateral mastectomy when she was in her 60's. Then all you got were two horrible rubber prosethis that she put in her bra. Her bra then weighted a ton and was more like a harness - she hated it. The prosthesis used to move about and she would end up with one in the middle of her chest and the other round the side. She would have most definitely had the op had she had the chance. She died a few years ago, not of breast cancer - she lived a good many years after her op, but of heart failure. Go for it , girl!!!

Cathy
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Go for it - you are never too old. I had my reconstruction last October and it has been great.

Thinking of you - let us know how it goes.

Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

hi there i say go for it i had breast cancer 5yrs ago without reconstruction, i went for it last year the same 1 as ur talking about and its the best decision i have ever made absolutely no pain, i was 51 on monday doesnt matter ur age its how u feel good luck

Maggierg

Thanks for your encouraging comments everyone. I guess my dilemma is putting my body through this trauma for cosmetic and emotional reasons rather physical health reasons.

Abismum, glad your happy with your result. Wish I'd had your option but immediate reconstruction was not recommended because of need for follow up treatment.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maggierg,

I had mx and immediate LD recon last Nov. at age 60. I too was worried about being thought silly, but I did not have any negative reactions from anyone. My surgeon was very happy to do the op. and said he had no reservations at all, he had done recons on older ladies.
Go for it, I have no regrets.

Guest user
Not applicable

my father had a heart bypass at 83, which is a lot more serious surgery - it involves stopping your heart and cutting through the breast bone and stapling it all up again afterwards, plus veins being grafted from your leg to your heart. He's still alive at 88

so if I were you I'd go for it

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maggie

I'm not your age, or even had surgery, but I can't see why your age should stop you at all

From my understanding, your healing might be a little slower as we get older, but everyones skin is different.

My Mum recently had a hip replacement at 67, and has healed as well as anyone I know,

Good luck with your operation, Rebecca

Maggierg

Is 64 too old?

Hi, I have recently put myself on the waiting list for a diep flap reconstruction. Its something I would really like but wonder if my age will be against me, i.e. skin elasticity etc. I am still on Herceptin but should be finished by time of op. I still work part time and am in good health.

Anyone out there around my age had this surgery? Any regrets?