Is it best to have implants before or after radiotherapy?

Hi, I am due to have a double mastectomy on Monday (14th Jan). I will also need radiotherapy on the right side. I have decided to have implants, but am not sure whether to have immediate or delayed reconstruction. I am very concerned that the right implant will go hard after the radiotherapy. Have other people had an implant followed by radio therapy and what happened? Also, what have others been advised - is it best to have immediate or delayed reconstruction if radiotherapy is needed? Thanks so much.

Hi Sarah,

Sorry that you haven’t had any replies as yet, you may get more response if you post in the ‘Reconstruction’ forum. I have also put for you below the link to BCC’s publication regarding reconstruction and the area of this site where reconstruction is discussed.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction

I hope this helps. Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Sarah,

I too an sorry your post has been missed - this happens sometimes when the forums are busy. I have not had implants, partly as my plastic surgeon was of the view that they should not be used before radiotherapy. HOWEVER other plasic surgeons have other opinions. Might it be possible for them to use a temporary implant (saline filled) on the side that needs rads and then replace that later? I feel sure your surgeon would not be offering this option if s/he felt it was unsuitable for any reason, but you still have time to ring them up (via their secretary) to ask your questions, and even up til the day you can change your mind if you are uncertain about immediate reconstruction on that, or both sides.

I hope all goes well for you and you get a great result.

Hi Sarah

I had implants before being diagnosed, I am half way through chemo and I am having radiotherapy when chemo has finished. I have been told that the radiotherapy will damage the implants and that they will need to be replaced once all this is over.

I hope this is of help to you.

Gail xx

Thanks so much. I meet with my surgeon again on Thursday and will decide then. Am thinking I will probably go for delayed reconstruction to avoid any worry about it being damaged.
Thanks Again
Sarah