Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it bone mets ?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Is it bone mets ?

Hi Marie,

It's a worrying time. Have you had any results yet? 

I was digging the garden one day in mid March and was suddenly in so much pain I couldn't do anything but go to bed. The next day I felt fine until mid afternoon and I had to go to bed again for a couple of hours although there was a lump in my back. I assumed this was a pulled muscle and the reason I had had the pain.  After that the pain disappeared then a few days later my left knee swelled like a ballon and I could barely put my foot on the ground. I left it for a few weeks thinking it would go down but it didn't so I visited the GP. She ordered a knee xray, an ultrasound scan and physio. The pain got steadily worse especially at night. I've had no results yet. The physiotherapist gave me a stick as I was unable to walk more than a few steps but couldn't start treatment until the results of the xrays and scan arrrived. The pain continued to get worse. Both the GP and physio think I have sciatica but the GP explained that as I have recently had Breast Cancer they can't start any treatment in case its mets. 

Like you, it hadn't crossed my mind until then. I now take tramadol and paracetemol 4x a day. Sometimes the pain is unbearable and othertimes it's not too bad. But it's the uncetaintity and waiting that gets you down.

I do hope your results were clear.

Hugs

Jane

Highlighted

Hi Guys

I woke up with really bad lower back pain a couple of days ago.  Because it was so sudden I wasn't worried about mets immediately but now it is crossing my mind.  Did anyone else go from no pain to sudden pain or is the build up more gradual?  I haven't done anything that could explain it. 

Luckily I have a bone scan for density tomorrow so I can ask them to look for anything more sinister.

I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing but once the idea pops up it's hard to stop thinking about it....!

Highlighted

Any news ?
My scan 2nd may

Highlighted

Tee Cass, I know what you're going through. I've had pain in my spine for a few weeks now - worse when im not active, doesn't feel muscular at all. Ive been to see my oncologist who didn't seem overly concerned - nothe sure why not? Anyway, I've persuaded him to send me for a scan and the waiting is killing me...it's reassuring that there are lots of women living with secondaries. Anyone else had this kind of back pain?
Highlighted

BHello teecas, well I had pain radiating from back of neck to shoulder, then was told the bone mets were in my spine hence pain!

ramade xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Carolyn, Laughing at your explanation that the cancer was partying in your hip. I always say that the cancer cells set up camp in my lungs and invited friends to camp out too!

Highlighted

Tee Cass
I had trouble putting weight on hip and leg and backache ..even went to a chiropractioner for six weeks who treated it as a trapped nerve.
Hope your scan results are clear .don't jump to the worst yet xxx
Highlighted

Thank u for ur reply
That's were I think mine are and I have been putting down to sciatica
What were ur symptoms ?

Highlighted

Hello teecass
Yes bone Mets are a rear kick up the rear end ..mine were after eleven years ...got hip.pain thought it old age, moving house and dx with sciatica and amitripiline pills ...but oh no the little blighters were partying in my hips, pelvis, spine and femur ...but its a new way of life now but its just take a day at a time ...
Hugs xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi TeeCass

Its not surprising you are having a melt down, it's the anxiety of it all and many of us say it's the uncertainty and the not knowing that is the worst part - even more so than the treatments themselves. I think it only lessens once we know what's happening, either treatment wise or disease wise and even then never goes away completely but we all seem to get on with living with the new 'normal' - whatever that may be for us. I have been living with SBC for over 9 years now so I have adjusted over time, however still have ups and downs as we all do, especially around scan (and results) time.

As to what my symptoms were I just had what I thought was a slight muscle strain at the top of one of my thighs and this only was noticeable when I was out running (at the time, not doing it anymore!). I was due a routine follow up mammogram from my primary and a local recurrence was found. I was then due to have a mastectomy and further treatment but a bone scan, done beforehand to check for spread, showed bone mets. Only one hot spot and one actual met at the time but I didn't have a clue that I had them so it was a real shock for me and the family. I really thought I had had it then but over the years I've had various treatments, some more intrusive than others and luckily not in any pain even though my bone mets have spread further over the years when treatments have stopped working.

Keep in touch and fingers crossed for your results. 

Nicky x

Highlighted

How do u stay so strong and go on ?
I feel like it's over already my mind is forever thinking it's gonna get me it's even been a contributing factor to the end of my 7 yr relationship - 2 weeks ago !

Highlighted

Thank u
What were ur symptoms of bone mets before being diagnosed ?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi TeeCass and I see you've had a lovely welcome from one of our resident long timers! I have also been living with bone mets for many years now, 9 in fact although over the past 4 years I have developed liver mets. However both have never caused me any real problems in my day to day life other than the pesky hospital appointments and various treatments I have had over those years! It will feel like your world has ended but once you adjust to the possibility of bone mets (I see you haven't had a firm diagnosis yet) you will learn to live with the new normal. Do come back and let us know how the scan goes. Fingers crossed it is wear and tear but if bone mets are diagnosed you will see from our Bone Mets please join in thepread that there are  many ladies living for many years, getting on with their lives, with bone mets - and other mets.

Nicky x

Highlighted
Community Champion

TeeCass, I have lung mets and Mets in most of the lymph nodes in my chest. My mets showed up after 10 years. A few years ago one bone met showed up in my spine, but it has remained stable. The forum can be quiet on the weekend, I'm sure you will be hearing from some bone mets ladies!  Please don't let statistics scare you! I have been living with mets for 11 1/2 years!  FF

Highlighted

Is it bone mets ?

I can't believe I'm back !
Diagnosed nearly 6yrs ago
Now waiting for a scan for pain in hips and pelvis
Never ever ever crossed my mind it could be bone mets
Put it down to sitting too long, sciatica , old age, etc etc every excuse u could think of - why did it not cross my mind ??
Think it started 2 yrs ago now - the trigger point was one night a pain around my ribs woke me up and that rang alarm bells
Scared is not the word many info gratefully received xxx