68.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to delay start of radiotherapy?

8 REPLIES 8
Jayne_m

Re: Is it possible to delay start of radiotherapy?

Thanks for the recommendations - will check them out. I was determined not to let BC stop the florida holiday which like you Kay was already planned. in fact we told the kids (teenagers) about the holiday and my BC in the same coversation which was great as they quickly realised that I planned on being around for next year so wern't as scared as they could have been.

I expect to be tired and fully plan to use that as an excuse to escape too many park days - not really my thing but doing it for the kids, I would rather be spending money in the outlets or having a nicely chilled vino by the pool....roll on May!
Kayteeb53

Thank you all for information and tips!
kay x
southpool

Hi

I delayed my rads by a month to go on holiday, both my oncs said it was ok as long as I started within 8/9 weeks of finishing chemo. The holiday was the best think I could have done, felt much better for the break after chemo & it meant I went into rads relaxed & stronger. Be warned though rads will leave you tired so don't be shocked like I was if you feel knackered.

Hope that helps
S x

Kayteeb53

We are staying in Sonesta suites on I-drive. We prefer not to stay either Disney or Universal as the free transport doesn't interchange. Also on I-driVe there are loads of restaurants to walk out to in the evening. No driving so all can have a glass of something!
kay x
carrie35

Hi I can recommend Disney Port Orleans hotel riverside as a great location. If you can upgrade rooms to Par Terre or Oak Manor anbask for a room on lower level and nearest to the restaurants. You can use your condition to help get this request. At this hotel it's beautiful and quiet and you can get a boat down to disneys market place. I prefer it to the more expensive hotels but if you can afford it then aminal kingdom is the one to be at, it's very expensive but has giraffes outside the windows in the most expensive rooms as well as other animals.

carrie35

Might add lovely to write a post that wasn't about Cancer!

Jayne_m

Hi Kayteeb53

Like you I am having 6 x FEC and my last one is 10th January - we are also going on a big family holiday to Florida in May (might swap notes on where you are staying as we have booked flights but struggling with hotel!). I asked onc re radiotherapy and he said it can start 3 weeks after chemo and I am sneaking in a week in Lanzarote at the end of March after rads which he is happy with too so I am sure you will be fine for May - we want a resort hotel as we anticipate I will not have the energy to to the parks every day so will need somewhere nice to relax in between...

Jayne x
catseye

Hi Kayteeb53,
I'm afraid I don't know whether or not it would be OK to delay Rads. I assume this would mean finishing Chemo in February and having Rads late May/June? This does seem a bit of a gap, and you should really have a chat with your Onc about it.
If it's any help though, I too had six weeks of Rads and felt very tired 2-3 weeks afterwards, (most people say the tiredness peaks at two weeks), but otherwise really quite well. It is nothing like as hard as Chemo. So, unless your holiday is likely to be really strenuous, it could be that you would be better off getting the Rads out of the way first. I think if it was me I would enjoy the holiday more once all the treatment was over. You would just need to be very careful to avoid the sun on the treated area, and swimming should probably be avoided if your skin is still sore.
Kayteeb53

Is it possible to delay start of radiotherapy?

Hi all, I am currently undergoing chemotherapy, 6 cycles of FEC. Just had 3rd yesterday and I estimate I should have my last chemo early Feb. I have been told by my ONC that I am advised to have 6 weeks of radiotherapy, followed by 5 years of Tamoxifen.
i understand and agree with all the good reasons for the treatment, but do have a question about the timing
i am due to go on a big family holiday to Florida in May (booked before my DX). I understand there is usually a month wait to start radiotherapy after chemo (NICE guidelines), this would take me to beginning of March to start that means I would finish only 3 weeks before I am due to go
Purely selfish I know but this is a big family holiday that all are looking forward to and I would only be 3 weeks post rads.
has anyone deferred the start of their radiotherapy for a while with their ONCs agreement?
thank you
kay