Is it worth taking iron?

Hi, I was wondering if it’s worth it, or if it’s okay to, take iron supplement whilst on Chemo. I was reading how chemo impairs the bodies blood cell production in the bone marrow, and also considering how fatigued it’s making me feel. Perhaps some extra iron might help. But I’m hesitant in taking anything in case it interferes with Chemo. Does anyone have any advice on this please?

Hi Helm,
I don’t have the answer, but I do know that before you take any supplements you should ask you oncologist first in case there are any problems with it…

Hi, my onc allowed me to take Floradix, which is natural dietary iron supplement from Holland and Barrat. You do have to ask your onc first tho, we are all different and the docs opinions vary on supplements. I found it a great tonic. Po

Ask and see, but it might make the constipation worse, lol, xxx

Definately ask your Onc. but I was prescribed Iron tablets due to my low blood count like Juliemb has said be very careful because it does cause cronic constipation, they can give you something to help you stay on top of that whilst taking the Iron supps. Hope this helps xxx

I would definitely ask your Onc because if you are able to tolerate/overcome the constipation it might avoid the need for a blood transfusion. My red cell count plummeted from the start of chemo and I had to have a transfusion, but I was unable to take an iron supplement because my constipation was so severe from the chemo.