Is removal of all lymph nodes necessary when slnb only finds one micromet?

I had surgery on 7/4/14, WLE and SLNB. My lump was 8mm, ER+ and I am told I need hormone therapy and radiotherapy. My surgeon examined 3 lymph nodes and one was found to have a micromet. Whether or not I needed a further op to remove all the nodes was discussed by professionals at my hospital and the verdict was no. At first I was very pleased about this and I have found out that recent research has shown it probably makes little or no difference in cases like mine but there does seem to be some controversy about this and not all professionals agree. After being told it was my decision at the end of the day, I have become very worried about whether no further surgery is the right thing to do. Has anyone been in a similiar position? Is it common not to go for full clearance?

Hello Jem14

While you are waiting for replies could I suggest that you give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are there to support you through this.  Lines are open to Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator