Is the chicken fillet better than the softie?

HI Girls

I am 33 and had a mastectomy nearly two weeks ago and although very stiff am quite impressed that its not too painful.

I was given 4 softies when leaving the hospital which I have tried wearing. The thing is, is the chicken fillett better, I mean does it fit better as the softie is enormous and doesn’t lie flat on my chest?

Also, when I look down when wearing a vest I can see my scar and also very obvious I have one boobie, is it less obvious with the fillett. What sort of tops whould Ibe buying. It has all happened so quick, I haven’t a clue what to buy.

All my tops are quite low so need a new wardrobe for home wear and work. Its going to cost a fortune!!!

And what about swimming, you can’t get swimming costumes under your neck can you?

I can’t believe how much I am worrying about clothing.

Mandyx

Hi Mandy

I had mast 31 Jan and wore my softie for a while until scar had settled. I have now got my (chicken fillet) which I got through my bcn and it is very comfortable indeed and looks so natural. It also feels natural but heavy. When I first got mine I felt balanced again if that makes sense. I buy my bras through Amoena who do fabulous underwear and also swimming costumes. The low neck thing is a problem it depends on where your scar is some seem higher or lower than others, mine is quite high. If you check the Amoena website you will see that they do a camisole top that fits your bra which I think is they way I will have to go in the summer.

Hope this is helpful

Karen

XXX

Hi Mandy

Glad you have got over your mastectomy quickly and are feeling a bit better. Don’t worry about the clothing issue, it is quite normal to want to look ok. I was in the same position and felt that as long as I looked ok to the outside world, I did not worry too much. I can give you a few tips that helped me. The softies are best post surgery until the scar has settled. You will then want to try a silicone prothesis, which should be fitted and supplied by your BC nurse. I was fitted with an Amoena light prothesis, which is very comfortable, feels totally natural and is not too heavy. I had some of my unwired bras fitted with a pocket by the hospital, do enquire whether your hospital does this. Alternatively Nicola Jane does a cheapish pocketing service or you can buy proper mastectomy bras from Amoena, Nicola Jane etc. They all have websites and offer a return service and you can always chat to them before buying. I am afraid that they are much more expensive than normal bras, but they are a bit higher cut in the front and often have a slightly elasticated top as well, which prevents the scar showing when leaning forward. Or take Karen’s advice and get a little camisole. I understand that M & S and Debenhams also carry a few mastectomy bras, but the ones I have seen are not exactly pretty. I am lucky that my scar is fairly low, so I can continue to wear all my normal low cut tops etc. but it is a bit trial and error to make sure your bra does not show. I am also a regular swimmer and have bought fabulous swimwear from the above organisations and use a silicone swim prothesis. I even wear a bikini and feel totally confident, although I obviously have sacrring under the arm, but how often do you wave your arms about!!!

Good luck with your hunt, and try and be patient, as it will take a while to find a bra and prothesis that you feel really comfortable with.

Best wishes

Birgit

The softie was too light for me and kept riding up and going lopsided. I have an ostrich fillet rather than a chicken fillet, but it is comfortable. I bought pocketed bras from Ameona as I don’t like the silicone against my skin. My swimwear and swimform are as Amoena. Browse their site. They had a sole on when I looked and of course you don’t have to pay VAT if you have had a mastectomy
Good Luck
xx

Hi

I had a mastectomy too, my scar is midline. i tend not to wear v low cut things but even medium v neck can result in more being shown than i’d like. i have worn the odd scarf tucked in and have thought about sewing a soft filmy fabric across the v of the bra to look like a camisole or across the v’s of some tops.

My softie had a life of it’s own and would make unscheduled appearances despite being pinned in but i had to use it till the wound healed and seroma settled. i was so glad to have the silicon jobbie fitted by BC nurse which does look much better and but is a bit hot and sweaty - i need to stitch pockets into what i have plus order some bras from the above companies - tho few do E cup (yep it’s quite a large prosthesis ostrich sized??!).

Take care

jennifer

Hmmmm, I’m a 32DD cup andam very disappointed in Amoena/Nicola Jane etc. They have hardly anything (bras or swimwear) in my size. It’s very upsetting post mastectomy when you can’t easily find nice underwear or swimwear.

I have now bought a swimsuit and a tankini from M&S both in my size, with a bra fitted inside them, and will get the hospital to put pockets in for me.

I get along fine with my prosthesis, Mandy, and it is very comfy. No-one would know I’ve had a mastectomy. Tops are a little difficult, because mastectomy bras have to be full cup and tend to show under low cut tops, but on the whole, I don’t find having had a mastectomy too limiting.

xxx

Take your time at the fitting to try them out and you’ll find one that suits you.

I found the Natura ones felt right for me and have requested the ones with the sticky back as you can wear them in pocketed bras or you can stick them to you (it’s very clever, it’s not like a glue, think more like velcro, hard to explain, feels really natural against the skin). So you can do as you please with them.

Phone your breast care nurse and see if they could show you one when you’re next in.

Mine are on order. I should get them this week. Sadly the guys I work with (we’re computer programmers) are coming up later in the week and I know they’re going to phone to tell me my boobs are ready when they’re all up here, that could be funny :slight_smile:

And as I’ve chosen to be a B cup I can get away with simple sports bras too.

I’m happy.

Oh and the silicone warms to your natural body temp really quickly.

Angie

Hi all

I was told that John Lewis will pocket bras that you have bought from them, although I haven’t tried it out yet. I had my mastectomy 3 weeks ago, a softie works fine, pinned in a M&S t-shirt bra although I did have to remove some of the padding, maybe that would help you Mandy?

love

pauline

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your great ideas, feel a bit better now. I presume I should wait till I get my fillett before buying any mastectomy bras.!

Interestingly, my BCN is applying for a McMillan grant for me so that I can buy some new bras and clothing which would be a great help as I went part time to spend more time with my daughter and I am on a tight budget until next year when she starts school and no more nursery fees. Its worth investigating if anyone is struggling with clothing.

I keep having the image in my head that it will be obvious in swimwear, I’ll just have to wait I suppose.

Mandyxxxx

Luckily I think I am at an age and shape that no one will want to look at too closely!!!

There’s special swimwear and you can get swim prosthetics for a tenner each so don’t worry about that.

I’d ask them if they have any bras for you to try at the fitting as they did for me.

I actually tried the softies in my new sports bar (£4 from Asda and a great fit) but found the softies extremely irritating, first time I’ve tried them. I can honestly say the chicken fillets are 100x better.

Angie

Mandy, definitely wait till you’ve got the prosthesis before you waste any money on bras, I got my prosthesis Monday and as I had to be in London yesterday anyway went to John Lewis for a bra. Don’t know if my scar is particularly high, but there aren’t many bras where the top of the cup comes up sufficiently to cover the top of the prosthesis - which extends up to about where your straps start. If you’re not comfortable with underwires the choice is really limited. And yes, it’s a great improvement on the cuddly toy they send you home with, I ended up gutting mine and putting pebbles in it, and I still couldn’t get the #### to stay down.
Does anyone know - can you get a swim prosthesis on the NHS as well as the other? I’ll ask the bc nurse when I can get hold of them.

Lyn