Is the first WLE ever successful?

I’m due to go for a WLE on Tuesday to remove a high grade DCIS approximately 15mm (I’m also having a fibroadenoma that is right by the side of the DCIS removed at the same time.  I’m not entirely sure if that measurement includes that or not as my DCIS wasn’t visible on either mammogram or ultrasound and was only discovered when they noticed a few cells right on the edge of the biopsy for the fibroadenoma).

I’ve been reading many of the posts on here and it would seem that WLE is never successful first time as everyone seems to have had at least 2 before they get clear margins.  Is that right?  My surgeon said it was 80/85% who only need one surgery but that doesn’t seem to reflect the reality of what I’m reading.

To say I’m nervous about Tuesday is putting it mildly so I’m just wondering what the real chances are that I’m going to have to put myself through this again?

Hello Crystaltips

I can see why you are concerned after reading posts on the forum regarding DCIS.

I expect that the stats quoted by your surgeon are pretty accurate. I came to to forum to seek advice and support of other women in a similar position as my case was unusual and I expect that many women who have a straight forward WLE for DCIS don’t feel the need to  join the forum so the perspective is a bit skewed.

Fingers crossed for clean margins for you on Tuesday and even if you are unlucky I can from experience say that second time around is a little easier as you know the routine. Please let us know how you get on.

Xx

I didn’t get clear margins and after 2 attempts (plus an infection, I had a mastectomy and reconstruction. There must be people who do have successful WLE, otherwise I doubt the procedure would continue to be performed.

I know I’d dcis is ever found in my other breast, I’ll ask for mastectomy straight away.

Hiya, your diagnosis is very similar to mine, I was having a fibrodenema biopsied  and they found some DCIS and Invasive cells on the edge of it, they removed it all in one op with clear margins, the majority of us don’t have to go back for a second, DCIS can be hard to see on imaging and can be scattered about your breast which is often why they have to go back in , the op is fine and I was in and out within a few hours and feeling good, you will be surprised by how straight forward it is! Xx Jo

Hi, 

i had Wle and was successful first time round too. Had SNB with 1 node positive, when clear margins op was done and full node clearance after chemo this also came back clear .   ??? don’t worry xx

I had a successful WLE 2 weeks ago. But I definitely felt the need to join the forum - I did that define the op.

I’ve just been diagnosed with low grade DCIS following a bleeding nipple and a microdochectomy. I’ve been told I will need a further operation or mastectomy. I wondered about successful conservation operationso compared with mastectomy?

Hi Coralie. I was diagnosed with h8gh grade DCIS at the beginning of September and so far I have had a WLE and a second operation, a cavity shave, today to try and obtain clear margins. I think a mastectomy happens when the DCIS is over a large area of the breast or if there is more than one area of it. A mastectomy can also take place if clear margins around the DCIS cannot be obtained. It might help to call your BCN tomorrow and ask why a mastectomy was mentioned. Also you will find massive support on this forum, whatever type of treatment you receive, as there will always be someone with a similar experience to you. Good luck xx

Hi crystal tips. I’m having a WLE on 5th Dec following a microdochectomy for 7mm DCIS still there. They are taking away the nipple this time. How was your recovery and how did you cope with radiotherapy?

Hiya Ali49. Sorry late reply. I only just saw this post. I joined forum but didn’t see this. I’m having my WLA on 5th Dec and radiotherapy 3 for weeks first week in January. How was your recovery time on both operation and radiotherapy? I’m scared they won’t get a clear margin.

Hi Coralie, recovery has been ok after both ops. I didn’t have my nipple removed. No pain at all for a week after my first wle but then got soreness and shooting pains. I called in to see my BCN and she gave me one of the hospital bras which she told me not to take off even at night - that and regular paracetamol really helped. After 2nd op I had very little pain or discomfort at all. They got 3 clear arginine on my first op so the cavity shave was to achieve the last one which they did thankfully. I hope you are coping ok. The waiting is the worst part!! I will let you know about radium when I start xx

I had WLE on Tuesday last week, and the breast nurse rang to say I have clear margins (DCIS intermediate) so it is possible! However, I will need further treatment of some sort but must wait until tomorrow to find out what. Best of all possible luck. 

Hi I have just had the results of the Path reports after a 2 lumpectomy and have been told I didn’t have a clear margin on one of the lumps so have to have further surgery on Monday. I am now a little worried that they may still not get it all and chemo was also mentioned whereas originally it wasn’t. I am now a little scared as to what further procedures are needed

I’m having my WLE on Monday, also now concerned about getting clear margins. So much of this seems so uncertain compared to other areas of medicine, some of you have been through so much considering this is referred to as Non invasive BC.

I had a WLE on Thursday for Grade 2 DCIS spotted as 35mm  area of microcalcification on mammogram ( I was one of a 50% trial of over 70s being called for routine mammogram in my area so I should help the stats!).

I was told 1 in 5 chance may need further surgery. Won’t know for 2 weeks also whether I will need R/T,

The whole procedure was very efficient and despite being on the afternoon list I wee’d, downed an egg sandwich, mug of tea and a bag of crisps and was declared fit for home.  Very bruised but no pain or even discomfort. Only took 2 paracetamol the first night. I am a bit technicolour (!) as advertised but I’ve felt fine.