Is there a link with the pill and tn / bc

Hi all diagnosed with tn bc in Feb 2012 with nodes involved, had lumpectomy, 3x fec, 3x tax, and 28 rads, age 40, before being diagnosed i was fit and healthy. The reason for my post is i don’t have any explaination as to how i got it with no family history, not over weight, i exercised and drank very little. the only thing i think i may have done was take the pill, was just wondering if there was a majority of people with breast cancer who took the pill. Just had my 12 month mammogram all clear, take care x

Hi I was dx march 2012 tn aged 41…I too have no family history, went to the gym 4 times a week, didn’t drink much, ate healthy, not over weight, don’t smoke, came off the pill 10 years ago, breast feed both kids…did everything right. I always wondered with mine, whether it was having a baby when I was 39 and it kicked off some sort of hormone problems that triggered the cancer.
Theres no point beating ourselves up about how we got it, as we will never know the answer. Have you asked to be referred for genetic testing for the brca gene mutation, I was told I didn’t need it as I have no family history, however I contacted prof Ian smith at the royal marsden, who said anyone with tn should be tested, he put it in writing and I showed my bcn. I am now waiting to be tested, at least then if there is a faulty gene I change take some preventative measures and also for my kids.
i am due my first mammo on the 11 th of this month, I’m pretty nervous and I really do not want to get back on this roller coaster. However I have been regularly examined since finishng rads, surgery etc so hopefully nothing will be there…everything crossed.
have you made any changes to your life, ie diet etc?..lots of people talk about going veggie, no dairy, low fat…etc its hard to really know what to do?
anyway, good luck for tha suture and god bless x

Hi Katty, thanks for your post, just finding it frustrating really that the don’t know what has caused it all the answers seem to be don’t know!! the bcn told me i don’t tick any boxes for it but i must have ticked something. I asked my bcn about genetics and she told me they wouldn’t do it because i have no family history, i have got my 12 month check up with the surgeon on wednesday so will mention it to her. As for having your child at 39 i had mind at 24 still got it. I have made changes to my diet and lifestyle i very muched lived life in fast lane with work, home and my son, so i do try and have some me time to relax and dont stress too much if i haven’t hoovered. Don’t eat red meat, drink green tea, lots of fruit and veg and low fat. I also take quite a few herbal items. I walk around 15 miles a week which really helps with my mind. Best of luck with your mammo try not to worry think its more a reminder of going back to that horrible day. My bcn looked on computer for me so went on tues got results on thurs it may be something your nurse could do save waiting 1 - 2 weeks. Take Care x

Hi Lea,

You started two threads on this topic, and I answered on the other thread. In case you haven’t seen it, I’ve copied and pasted my reply, for what it’s worth!

Great news you got the all clear after your year of medieval torture.

I am no expert but have read a few bits and bobs about causes.
As you were triple negative your cancer was not one that fed off hormones, therefore logically it probably had nothing to do with being on the pill. The only life-style issue linked with breast cancer is alcohol. Otherwise it attacks the super fit athlete and the couch potato equally. It is just bad luck, and the experts really have no idea what causes it in people without family history.

Good luck for the future. xxx