Is this a daft question?

I’ve just realised I know nothing about this disease or how it works.My sister asked me why don’t they stop your ovaries if your cancer is hormone positive. She said its like having a flood but not turning the tap off,just putting a bucket to catch water. I am very er+ 8 pr+5 and her- . So I’m just on tamoxifen. Been on it nearly four months (primary and secondary in bones diagnosed at same time this June) I still don’t know if it’s working. So my question is why didn’t they put me through menopause (I’m 47) when to my brain now seems logical ? Is this a daft question?(I haven’t started menopause )
Helen x

On these forums there’s no such thing as a daft question :slight_smile: … not if it’s cancer-related anyway.

After the menopause, the body still produces oestrogen  although the ovaries have shut down!  There’s an explanation on the CR-UK page here,

cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/breast-cancer/secondary/treatment/hormone-therapy-for-secondary-breast-cancer

I couldn’t find anything on the BCC website but maybe one of their staff can post a link.

I had had my ovaries removed before menopause, (for benign cysts) but I was still diagnosed with hormone-positive bc and bone mets six years later.

Tamoxifen is a well-established treatment, I hope you can soon be reassured that it is working well for you.  I don’t know if you have any scans or blood tests - if a bone scan is stable, that is encouraging.  Blood tests can include testing “tumour markers” (CA15-3), this is a good indicator of what the disease is doing, for many of us with bone secondaries.

I actually had my ovaries removed toward the end of my Tamoxifen treatment for primary bc. Simple keyhole procedure, out  of hospital the following day. Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed and nearly 11 years after primary school I got bone mets  dx. I have been stable for 3  years on Femera and bone juice, with a couple of rads blasts. A part of me believes that my hormone treatment is working well as it’s being helped by lack of ovaries but that’s just my feeling. You could bring it up at your next clinic appt if it’s something you are interested in.

That was primary diagnosis, not school! :smileyfrustrated: predictive text!!

Hi 2catlady,

As others have said there’s no such thing as a daft question, and you might find it helpful to talk this over with one of our Helpline staff.  Just to remind you of the opening times- 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  0808 800 6000.

I’ve also attached a link to our factsheet on ovarian ablation:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc27_ovarian_ablation.pdf

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi,thank you lovely ladies for the advice. Blood tests said tumour markers were up but BCN said that can happen with treatment .i’ll ask doctor next time I see him about ovaries .or I’ll get hubby as I always cry as soon as I get into room,one day I’ll be the rational person I used to be.
Thank you and take care,Helen xxx