Is this considered triple negative?

My mum was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ducal cancer of the breast today. The FNA of a lymph node in the armpit also contained the cancer. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer. It was only weak er+, pr- and her2 -. As its only weak er+ is this considered triple negative? The nurse said that as its only a small biopsy, when they get more tissue it may show more receptors? Anyway my mum is having a CT scan first (apparently the norm when starting chemo before surgery), an MRI of breast, then the chemo.

The worst part is the CT scan. So worried about that.

Has anyone had the procedures in this order? At what point do they decide to operate? I believe at the end of the chemo or earlier if not good response to chemo.
The consultant said chemo first to see response of tumour and how effective it is, not because they assume it’s spread beyond lymph node.

Dear Daisy1975
You are quite right. Weakly positive is often considered as triple negative. Mine certainly is. When i was first diagnosed with breast cancer I was only Her2 -. Now, three recurrences later i have worked my way to completely triple negative. But as the nurse said, they will get a more accurate picture of your mother’s status once the tumour is removed and assessed.
It is good that your Mum is having the CT scan. The procedure is easy enough, it is the waiting for results which is hard. I have had a number of scans and so I know how you feel about waiting. But once you know what you are dealing with, then you have the knowledge required for the best treatment. On my current recurrence I did scans then chemo. I am soon to have another scan after five cycles, to see where things are before my oncologist decides what next. If your mum has chemo first, she can expect another scan, after a number of cycles, to see how things are progressing. Your mum could join a chemo thread for lots of support while she goes through it. And she has you, which is a major blessing.

Best wishes
bumpkin

Hi Bumpkin

Three recurrences? That must be hard to deal with. Does it keep returning in same area? Any idea why?

What is it that makes triple negatives hard to treat? I understand it’s the inability to starve the cells of oestrogen/progesterone, but is it this alone, or is it due to them usually being a particular cancer type (such as basal)?

They did mention her scan half way through to see if tumour in breast has shrunk.

What are you having Chemo and not surgery or have you had surgery already?

Daisy

I was under the impression that her+ was not a good thing as more likely to recur but is it a plus point because it can be targeted?

It’s amazing that someone in your situation can be so encouraging to others, a very special trait. I caught up on your journey before your reply as I’ve been reading lots of posts.

We see the oncologist on Monday to discuss the chemo. I’m not really well read up on the drugs yet. The consultant who gave us the results never mentioned triple negative or any of the receptors until I questioned him. I was devastated to hear it was cancer and now even more so knowing that its pretty much triple negative. I know the nurse said we’ll get a better picture once they remove tumour but I’m guessing it’s unlikely to change.

Trying hard to stay strong for my mum but I just feel like moping about which I know is no good. I’m such a worrier and in a way wish that I didn’t research these things but unfortunately I need to know everything.

Thanks for all of your help and so sorry that you are going through all of this. It just seems so wrong. Xxx

Thank you so much Bumpkin. You have given me a lot to think about. I don’t mope about when my mum is here - I don’t want her to see that. I prefer her with me as I am then strong and positive for her.

My fear, like most people’s, is that the CT scan will reveal it has spread.

Really good point about the statistic as of course they are at least 5 years old. Never thought of it that way.

You have such an admirable and the right attitude to it. I have been telling myself that I should be making the most of time now as at the moment she is here! I read a post where someone said they were rinsing every last laugh out of their sister and having plenty of wine and meals. Sounded like the right attitude. I guess we can cram 10 years worth of happy times into a couple of years if we try.

I wish you all the best and I’m sure we’ll chat again. Hope you enjoyed your walk. Sounds lovely.

Daisy
Xx