7 REPLIES 7
Anita

Re: Is this normal 6 months on?

Oh yes Charys thank you x

Charys
Community Champion

Hi Anita,

Saw this thread recently and wondered if it was helpful to you?

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Living-with-breast-cancer/Rib-Pain-from-Radiotherapy/td-p/3...

Anita

Hi Charys yes we were going through treatment at about the same time so although it's not good that we're both not where we want to be 6 months on it is good to know that it's not out of the ordinary. I had no problems with my nipple during radiotherapy so I was really surprised to start having trouble with it now so then of course your mind goes into overdrive & you think something else is wrong. I'm so fed up of my ribs being painful after doing anything even slightly physical. Perhaps we are just too impatient to be back to normal when as most people say we never will be again. Thank you for replying xx

Charys
Community Champion

FHey Anita, 

long time no see. I'm reply to you because I feel exactly the same way, and I know we were so close in treatment...kind of 'chasing each other along'. I have a perpetually dry, crispy nipple ( my onc seemed unconcerned and said keep smearing with Vaseline) , that peels off every few days. I have a fair amount of pain across my shoulder, under the arm, and across the top of my chest....accompanied by fluid build up and my ribs where the rt was done are definitely jittery along with the muscles above them. I too thought that by now things would be back to normal, but definitely not.....so....I don't have any answer for you....but don't know if it reassures to hear that I am the same ? I don't know if it's normal, and I've posed a few questions myself on the forum abut things like my thin and peeling breast skin and so on...and how I seem to have so much scar tissue that I can't  feel what is right and wrong anymore.....but you certainly aren't alone in having such issues six months on.

X

Anita

Thank you Minniemoocher for replying. It's very reassuring to know it's normal. I'd been doing fine so I was just a bit worried when I started getting unusual aches & pains. I don't want to stop exercising as there are obvious benefits to that but equally I don't want to be in pain the next day. I think I'm just at that stage when I'm still worrying about every ache & pain which I know will get better with time. Wishing you all the best. X

Minniemoocher

Hi Anita. I have just come onto the forum after a few months just reading other posts as I want to ask for some advice re exercise 12 months after mastectomy & silicone reconstruction.

I will still send my own post but I just wanted to say to you that things will settle & change a lot for you in the next 6 months. I was very impatient with my recovery but looking back I couldn't have gone any faster than I did.   I still have some issues with numbness, aches & pains & general weirdness but I am back exercising and generally take less notice of the twinges. I don't think we will ever go back to 'normal' but you will learn to live with the oddness and aches and they will improve with every month that passes.! I think i've done a few too many press ups at the moment, hence the reason I want to post !

Regards

BonitaE_BCC

Hi Anita, 

I am sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable and in pain. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Please note the Helpline will be closing at 12 noon Friday 5th January and will remain closed until mid-morning on Monday 9th January.

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Anita

Is this normal 6 months on?

I'm 6 months post radiotherapy & although I got through that with relatively few side effects, I don't feel I'm moving forward as I'd hoped. The radiotherapy affected my ribs & now when I exercise I feel OK as I'm doing it but then the following day I get aches & pains around the ribs. My other boob is also uncomfortable some days & that worries me also & the affected boob is still painful & last week I noticed my nipple was becoming dry which I haven't had before. I just want to get on with my life, which includes wanting to exercise & also not feel anxious when my body doesn't feel like I think it should. Does anyone feel like this. Anita X