1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is wearing a bra a good or bad thing?

5 REPLIES 5
Blessing

Re: Is wearing a bra a good or bad thing?

Can't tell you if it's good or bad, but I'm glad it's not just me! M and S do a range of soft cotton Tee bras with moulded cups which I wore initially all the time (£8? each) (My LD flap March 30th) but got back into underwires before the summer - work in a school and my rolled up newspaper under arm gets quite tender by the end of the day - but I feel more supported generally (36D)

Ive turned up in an array of bras for my surgeon since and he's never passed comment on the type (he did like the M and S ones though and asked me where I got them..... very sure a legitimate q!). However the BC nurse told me to wear unwired, soft bras straight after surgery to help form the flap into the shape I wanted. I then wore soft in the day and sports bras in the night right up to about June. Shapes coming well - due for finishing off in Oct.
Love and empathy
Blessing

RevCat

Hi there, I had an LD flap done in Feb this year and have finally escaped from sports bras hurrah! I was told that the hidden support vest tops are OK and have a few of those, also a couple of mastectomy bras by Royce which have the advantage of having a soft lining (even if I'm lucky enough not to need the pocket). Probably depepends what size you are too?

Hope you find something comfy - the Royce ones don't look too functional if you know what I mean!

pinkrose

Not a daft question - I also had LD flap surgery last November and was told not to wear under-wired bras until I felt comfortable doing so and and the swelling had gone down. I have got some soft, very boring though, non-underwired ones which I tend to wear during the day and the underwired lovely pretty ones when I go out or under certain clothes. I think it's what you feel comfortable wearing. I can't wear underwired ones for long as I'm lop-sided at the moment (waiting for a reduction and uplift) and they do start to feel uncomfortable after a while.

Hope this helps!

Rachel.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi.. i was told to wear a non wired bra.. all mine were lacy frilly thingys.. but went to matalan and they do some very soft tee shirt bras.. no wires.. and they are so comfy .. wanged all the ribbon and lace in the charity bag ... now got a draw full of comfy sensible ones.. they are great.. and... you cant tell one boobie is smaller than the other one ... angie

Slendablenda

I was told by the BCN that it is a good idea to wear a soft, non-wired
bra as much as possible at first to support the breast after surgery if you can - a size bigger cup than usual because of swelling. Worked for me.Whatever feels most comfy for you I would think.

sallieannie

Is wearing a bra a good or bad thing?

Possible daft question alert!

I had an LD flap in November and am still a bit sore under my arm and around my side, and wearing a bra is still a bit uncomfortable. I do occasionally wear a very soft, non-wired one when I go out but take it off as soon as I get home.

I was just wondering (in general) if it is a good thing to wear a bra, and if so if I should be trying to get back in the habit of wearing one. I know wearing a bra can make your clothes look better, give you a better cleavage etc. And I guess if you have large breasts a good bra is supportive and it can be more comfortable than going without. But if you look and feel okay without one, is there any reason to wear a bra? Is there something I'm missing, or am I okay to carry on going bra-free?

I did ask one of the nurses after my surgery but she looked at me like it was a bizarre question and just said do whatever's comfortable.