Itching ears - help please - is it the fault of Arimidex?

I have a terrible problem with itching ears and eczema in the ears. I am wondering whether it is a side effect of Arimidex. Has anyone else had this? I have tried everything!! Aqueous cream, E45, Vaseline, Simple Derma Intensive Relief for eczema and dermatitis, cortizone cream from the doctor, Otimize spray,and more…

Please, please… has anyone any other suggestions? This constant itching in my ears, night and day is driving me mad!

Hi Christiane, I take Arimidex but do not have this problem. But my husband does. Two questions. Do you wear spectacles? Could you have an allergy to the bits that go round your ears? He has to wear titanium specs but even those ones began to cause problems even after years without problems. Can you also ask your GP if you can try NIZORAL shampoo, because of all the creams he tried nothing sorted out the problem. But the shampoo has worked wonders. He also tried wrapping micropore round the ends of his specs to see it that helped, by stopping contact of spec ends to his ears. It drove him crazy too. Worth a try perhaps if you have tried everything else. Love Val (Scottishlass)

Thank you,Val(Scottishlass), for the idea of the shampoo to help my itchy ears. I have only used it for 2 days and already there is a great improvement. I would never have thought of using it in my ears - but I suppose it is logical. I already use this shampoo for an itchy scalp - so I suppose it is logical to use it in my ears - but I would never have thought of it. Thanks for the idea - and so far, so good! It is lovely to have some relief from the itching. X

Hi Christiane, He didn’t really wash his ears with it but we noticed his ear problem got worse when he shampooed his hair in the shower with any other kind of shampoo. He only uses Nozoral now. No other shampoo. I also buy “Pears” soap as it appears to be kinder to the skin than normal soap. I am no chemist but think that Pears soap has different ingredients than others so you may like to give it a go too.I am amazed that you noticed the improvement so soon. Just so pleased it has helped you too. LOve Val X

Well - What I am doing with the Nozoral seems to be working. I smear a bit on each of the ears, then wipe off the excess and then I put some moisteriser on them (Simple Derma Intensive Relief). I have had relief from the itching for 2 days now and most of the scaliness has gone. It’s like a miracle!! I can’t believe it’s stopped itching so quickly either. I have had the itching and scaliness ear problem for a long time and it was getting unbearable. It was continuous - night and day. Nothing else seemed to be working so now I’ll continue with the Nozoral/moisteriser combination for the time being.

I will also try Pears soap for bathing too.

Thanks for your ideas, even though I am not doing exactly what you intended with the shampoo! XX

Hi Christian, As long as it’s working that’s okay. Nothing is more annoying than an itch. Thanks for the feedback. Love V X

I’m back again with my itching ears. Unfortunately all the remedies did not completely clear the condition and a couple of months ago it came back with a vengeance. It was driving me mad. Could not sleep. Felt like scratching my ears out! I think it was brought on by stress as that time was particularly stressful.

I now have found a solution, accidentally. A chillow pillow! I put my head on it at night and now I can’t bear to go to bed without it. It keeps my head cool. That must have been the reason for the eczema in my ears. Relief at last.

I just thought I would share it with you in case anyone is suffering from this condition too.

Christiane x