cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itchy Skin following Mx diep recon

16 REPLIES 16
Rlmbsupermum

Re: Itchy Skin following Mx diep recon

Hi Rosie, I am coming up to six weeks post op and thought all was going well, I have a bit of fluid behind abdo scar but told to massage with e45 but this week my boob has gradually grown in size. I have now realised it is really swollen and tight, feels like after my original masectomy/implant surgery, like someone sitting on my chest. I just wanting you to know i share your pain with the deep itch that you know you shouldn't scratch but can't help it. I took a Piriton when I started getting a rash and this helped. I find e45 the best bit have to make sure it's really rubbed in xxx
Steph J

Hi Whitelily 

I admire your bravery in not giving up , it must have been very scary and worrying leading up to the  last op . I really am sending you lots & lots of postive best wishes although I think your own postivity will get you the success you deserve . 

Glad all went well for you  today . you might have to wait a week or two for swelling to subside .

. My tummy is still swollen but mainly in the pubic area .. I did liken it to a cod piece ha .. so obviously dont want that look to last forever lol . 

Take care Steph xxx

whitelily

Afternoon ladies been for another check up today all drains out now thank goodness just swelling and bruising which will hopefully go down in the next week. Rosie how exciting to have your bra fitting and get new bras! Anyone who hasn't been through this wouldnt understand that, I  can't wait to get to that point I will be just as excited it makes you feel like you are moving on and progressing. Very glad your wound is improving also. Steph not even thought about nipple reconstruction yet I never actually got around to having one last time. I had the LD done in 2014 and within 6 months the expander had developed a capsular contracture they removed this for a permanent implant and I then had 2 lots of lipofilling which didn't work as it re absorbed I then developed another capsular contracture last year so knew it would have to come out. Once you start on the reconstruction journey you have to see it through even though I had had enough of surgery I felt I had to try. I have always had a severe scarring reaction from the radiotherapy and have lymphoedma in my arm so felt I was giving myself the best chance by trying another op using my own tissue x

Steph J

Hi Whitelily 

Iv just told Rosie ...Doctor has given me an antihistamine instead of a steroid cream just because steroids can thin the skin . I guess that  was sensible as I  hadnt thought of that and I wouldnt want to take risks and damage the skin . So hopefully it will be ok soon . 

Glad you starting to pick up but it is only early days so be kind to yourself , especially as youve already been through this before . What a shame .. how long after original LD did it start going wrong ? And do you have to have a nipple recon still ? 

Double hugs for having to go through all this twice ...keep your chin up Steph xx

Steph J

Well done Rosie ..and glad it was a success . My sports bras are from M&S and I do have a soft one too . I think Im treading on egg shells at moment by sticking to the sports ones .. so frightened of not feeling supported . Although I have gone a night or two without one in bed mainly due to the itchy skin . 

I went to GPs earlier on but she didnt think steroid cream was a good idea due to risk of thinning skin ..so I was given antihistamine . Anyway hopefully it will settle down soon . 

Iv been a good girl today and cut back on my goodies ...I didnt have any biscuits or sweets until teatime when I had some as a dessert ha .. Didnt go out for a walk though lol . Thats on my to do list for tomorrow .

Anyway let me know how you feel wearing your new bra .. speak soon . Take care Steph xx

rosie14

Hi Steph I plucked up,courage yesterday and went and asked in M&S for an appointment for a bra fitting! It was 3.45pm and she had an available slot at 4pm! So I waited! The lady was lovey and after she had measured me fetched many bras for me to try on. Naturally I am between sizes she estimated between 36/38 b but we settled on 36c. I don't quite fill the cups completely but it is soft and padded and felt much more comfortable than the crop top. It is called a sumptuously soft non wired. She asked me if I wanted to wear it and I did I felt lik,wa child with new shoes!!!! I have ordered a second as there was only one in my size in the store it arrives after midday today! I will still be wearing my crop top at nights for the considerable future!😌
White lily on the wound front it is now improving daily! Hope your check up,went well! Have a good day ladies!xx
Steph J

Sorry Rosie it was you that mentioned bra fittings ... memory span of an ant Im afraid I have to look back sometimes and read the threads again ..x

Steph J

Hi Rosie 

I totally get you .. Im the same with massaging the scars ... its a weird feeling and Im scared of rubbing too hard or not enough ha  ... dont know whether you read my other comment about me worrying my new boob will be flattened and out of shape by wearing these sports bras all of the time ha  .. 

One of the ladies on here asked about when it is time to have bra fitting ... in truth I hadnt thought about it . Now I have and I dont know the answer . All I do know is that Im not ready to let sports bras go even if I am squashed .. they give me a sense of confidence and also if Im pottering around the house doing light housework I put my corset back on because I worry I might strain my tum lol ... Mad or what !! 

As for walking out ..Hands up totally guilty . I hate the cold and damp weather so yep Im in the lazy gang too !

I havent had chance to get E45 or Vaseline yet but I will tomorrow and I might try massaging with a pad too . 

Love all the advice ..thank you its good to talk xx

whitelily

Morning ladies Steph I also used bio oil in the past and it gave me quite a rash I wont be using that again. Regarding the tram reconstruction I guess it is similar to diep just that they use a bit more muscle and different blood vessels first few days were pretty tough but starting to feel a bit better now am back home so far so good trying to take it easy have a hosp appt today for check up. I had a failed LD from two years ago so look like a patchwork now luckily I am the only one who sees. Rosie so sorry that you have had wound problems what a nightmare and you don't need it on top of everything else we have had to go through hoping you are on the mend though I know it's a long road it must be very frustrating X
rosie14

Good morning Steph I use make up pads to apply and gently massage the E45 into my scars then I don't get too much left over!Also I can't bear touching the scars!🙀
I know what you mean about the eating I am worried that I wil put my flat stomach back on! Trying to get more active by waking more but it is difficult with the weather being so cold and damp!

Steph J

Hi Whitelily

Well E45 and Vaseline it is ...so fingers crossed .

Next challenge is to knock off the biscuits , crisps and goodies . Too much time at home !! ha .

How are you finding the tram flap ? xx

whitelily

Hi Steph yes I use E45 on my previous operation scars but Vaseline on the newer ones. I had a tram flap a week ago. I just use gauze in the bra at the moment on top of the Vaseline I suppose you could use cotton wool pads as you say it can be greasy but it does soothe the area and stop any itching x

Steph J

Hi Whitelily 

Thank you for your advice ...must admit I never thought of vaseline . Rosie has suggested E45 too ...so two simple products for me to try . Do you need to put a tissue or anything inside your bra though with the vaseline being greasy .

I really do appreciate your reply ..xxx

Steph J

Hi Rosie 

Ill give the E45 a try ..its cheap enough to bin if no good ha ..its driving me mad . If it was under the suture line I could accept its the healing but its the skin around .. arggghhhh is all I want to say !! 

But I guess in the scheme of things I shouldnt complain . 

And yes my abdo is still very tight .. in fact I was starting to wonder if Ill be ready to go back to work in March ?? My new breast doesnt feel heavy .. I have a tenderness on the chest wall ..but Iv read on here that could be where the rib was broke which makes sense . 

As for advice on bra fitting ... No one has even mentioned a fitting or time ...yep Im still in sports bras and crop for bed . In fact glad youve mentioned it because this might sound daft but because the sports and crops are tight .. wait for it .. I was thinking will these bras make my new breast a funny shape ...as in not round but flattened .. And I know Bridget Jones knicks .. lol theyve been quite a change for a thong girl ha . Mind some might say at my age I should be growing old gracefully ha ha ...not a chance .

Im very interested in any advice you come across over whens best to move on with underwear .. doing stuff etc . Its good to talk . Im 7 weeks post op myself now . I must admit Im keen to get back to normality but Im a bit scared of doing too much and putting myself backwards . Thanks for speaking to me XXX

whitelily

Hi Steph have you tried just plain old Vaseline? This is what my PS advises and I find it really soothing on and around suture lines also less likely to cause a reaction as it has minimal ingredients x

rosie14

Hi Steph I had my DIEP surgery 7 weeks ago and one of the plastic team nurses told me to use E45 cream on the scars! The only itching I have has been internal from the healing process and from some of the dressings I have had on the part of my abdo wound that opened. Hope you become less itchy soon! Does you abdomen and chest still feel quite heavy and tight? Has anyone advised you when to go for a bra fitting? Imagine still wearing my cro tops and Bridget Jones underware!😔

Steph J

Itchy Skin following Mx diep recon

Hi ladies 

I was wondring if anyone has experienced similar itching on skin around  suture lines . 

I was advised to start applying cream and massage my scars once they had healed . Im now six and half weeks post op . Luckily I have experienced no wound healing problems .

So as advised I started to use bio oil to both boob and abdo , unfortunately the bio did not appear to suit my boob as I dveloped what looked like a allergy rash ..so I stopped and started with aqueous . I did carry on with the bio on my abdo because it was easy to apply and rub without drying out . 

On one of my follow ups the Consultant asked me what I was using on my abdo and I told him , he said he was not overly happpen with colour of suture line so he advised me to use another cream ...and probably best advice was to use something Id always used . 

Hence I went back to a Garnier lotion for dry skin which I used prior to surgery . But all I can say is there is no rash but Blimey my skin above and below abdo suture line itches like crazy ...as does some of the skin on my boob but not the actual suture line .. And once the itch kicks off it doesnt want to stop . 

Has anyone any ideas on a product that I can try ? Id rather avoid going out and buying random things ..  . However I dont mind buying something recommended and not bothered about price too much ...obviously dont want to waste money either . I was thinking of an antihistamine cream .. but there is no rash or redness ... FRUSTRATED ... Steph xx