Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUNE radiotherapy anyone?

316 REPLIES 316
Louann

Re: JUNE radiotherapy anyone?

Hi al

I'm very pleased to say that since ending my rads on 30th June my skin has not got worse but instead has improved daily. I'm still tired but the side effects that I was told would happen haven't. I'm going away for a lovely weekend this weekend and will be tempted my the hop tub, fingers crossed I don't cause my skin to go backwards.

I hope everyone else is ok and that you are all healing nicely.

L xx

Kayak Jan

Hi
I finished last Tuesday and like many of you the reality is starting to hit home. I coped with it all with many wobbles along the way but now I don't have the focus of getting through the next treatment or hospital appointment. I don't miss the appointments or feel lost or abandoned as I was warned I might feel. I am sooooo relieved I don't have to go into that building again for a while. But I don't really know how I feel yet. I am exhausted emotionally and physically tired but think mentally I am somewhere in limbo. I can't get back to normal because I have changed too much. I no longer know what normal is.
I am so thankful I found so much support and good advice here on the forum.
Thanks 😀
Jan
jky03

Im 11days post rads now Louann and frankly the reality of finally completing the treatments has hit...few tears and relief plus the realisation of what ive "lost" along the way. How much we change and adapt from how we were before'it' and knowing a new normality awaits is quite daunting at times...but it is a future. Im in a kind of grieving stage i guess...didnt have time to think through properly over past 17months as constant treatments, admissions, appts etc...but now im reflecting and coming to terms with how much my life has changed.
But im also excited about my future..im more optimistic, tolerant and looking forward to things again.
Take care all.
Jo.x
Charys
Community Champion

It's an odd place to be Louann, I find myself tearful on and off.....the tiredness, the emotions and 'enormity' as Kim said. Suddenly, there is time to think, 'normal life' is there waiting for us, but we don't feel 'normal' really and ready to approach it in the same way as we did. Well. Not ready just yet anyway......

Kim555pink

I'm just reaching 3 weeks post last radiotherapy now, so I'm guessing most of the June starters have finished or very nearly finished. I'm guessing it's back to picking up where we all left off at the time of diagnosis, with or without various tablets and injections for the next few years.
Wishing you all the very best for a happy and healthy future and thanks for the support you've given me 😊
Xxx
Kim555pink

hi Louann, it's quite common to get tearful without a particular reason (well I say that - we all have a reason but you know what I mean!!) I think it's the enormity of what we have gone through sneaks up when you least expect it. Hope you're feeling better now xxx
Louann

Hi all 

I hope you are all well, I don't know why but I've been quite emotional today. I thought I was getting closer to being back to normal but I keep finding myself in tears and I'm not sure why. Not sleeping at all well so that maybe why, I've just downloaded the 5th series of Suits so hopefully I can relax this afternoon while watching it.

Big hugs to you all xx

Snow Leopard

Sorry message below was in reply to much earlier post about creams. I don't understand how this forum works... You reply to a post but then your reply is not posted under the post you were replying too! 

Pat xx 

Snow Leopard

Hi all, I only started rads last Wednesday so only 3 sessions in, but the nurse said to use E45 if that is any help. Apparently some creams have microscopic bits of metal in (no idea why) but that can mess with the rad beam. E45 has no metal in. 

Pat xx 

Charys
Community Champion

,.......indeed.....and only 52......very sad. A great loss, and so many majorly talented people lost this year. 

Louann

I am so very sad tonight to hear the very sad news that Caroline Aherne has passed away. Such a talented young lady😢😢 such a lost to comedy xx

Charys
Community Champion

I think you have the wrong end of the stick Anita, I was bemoaning the fact that everyone was finishing their RT and then leaving the thread......then that would leave the two of you last people on your own. I didn't think that was very fair as would leave you unsupported , so was encouraging people to stay to help you out on the last week of yours. I was , I thought, being thoughtful. An lol wasn't because I would find this funny, otherwise why would I be encouraging people to stay? It was more light hearted 'laugh out loud' to lighten the comment I was making to leavers. Anyway, enough of this....tennis beckons. I think I will leave everyone to it on this thread. My humour seems to not aid situations on this forum . I laugh a lot in real life, and care about people a lot, and it's not translating to this place. 

Never mind......have a good final few days and very best wishes for the future to each and every one of you. Life's not fair sometimes, but it's how we come out the other end of traumatic challenges that make us the people we are . Xxx

Anita

I called you a meanie - slightly softer than calling you mean - because you put Anita & Libby will be on their own lololol. - doesn't that mean something like 'lots of laughing out loud' or have I got that wrong? If it doesn't mean anything like that then I'm blaming Google & you're not a 'meanie' at all.

Charys
Community Champion

Yeah, but what did I say....That made me sound mean? I really don't understand. You said this a few days ago....'I'm having boosters within the 15 days not after - well I hope that's what's happening.' I was just saying that when you said this I thought this was an unusual treatment plan. 

Anita

Boosters were never mentioned Charys. They explained tonight that sometimes treatment is changed when it is reviewed.

Charys
Community Champion

Ey....what did I do / say ??? I was trying to think of you all getting lonely as the last finishers on the thread.

regarding the boosters, maybe they said something like ' you'll have 15 and 5 boosters' and it sounded like 5 of them would be the boosters? 

Anita

Oh Charys you meanie - but I don't get why I was told 15 sessions at first planning meeting & then wasnt told either that was wrong or something had changed. The appointments might be shorter but the waiting wont be as they always run about an hour late & that's what makes it tiring. Late one tonight 7.20 but going with a friend so that will be nice to chat whilst waiting - see some people are nice to me Charys!! x

jky03

Btw Jan..i had the lightheaded and nausea episodes but during first few sessions then this eased...weird.
jky03

Hi all...
Hows everyone doing..guess all nearly at the end now..Jan...
Welldone Louann...fantastic getting through so many.
Those having boosters..Anita, hang in there, i was lucky and didnt have them thankfully so can't really know what thats like.
So 8 days after finishing...was ok for first few days, but then Bam!..hit by fatigue bus but only short lasting...i seem to be great upto 4-5oclock then tire easily. My skin became more sensitive, sore, inflammed and developed a lumpy rash that was a little painful..only in small area to top of breast. This eased with antihistamines. My wound is showing signs of healing now too. Hopefully on way to recovery.
Problems with hearing & Tamoxifen...now stopped for 2 weeks, anyone else noted this?.
Booked a cruise for end of August..back to work September..moving forward.
Take care..have a good weekend ladies.

Kayak Jan

Hi all
I am off for number 13 of 15 this morning. Doing ok. Have some blistering on my scar so was given a gel yesterday and due to pick up a prescription for cream today.
I have been lucky with times etc mine have generally Been at 10.15 every day which I have appreciated as I have an hours journey each way. I managed to drive myself for first 8 but now need to be driven. About 20 minutes after session I get very light headed and disorientated. I also feel sick. This lasts about 15 mins then I am ok. Really weird and not conducive to driving!
Great to see so many people have finished. Like Charys I would love to hear how everybody is getting on. Look after yourselves and be kind to your bodies we have all been through some very challenging times.
Sending hugs
Jan x
Charys
Community Champion

Well done Louann.......hang around and let us know how you continue to respond or not respond over the next few days ? You've had such a long run of things, amazing that you've done so well. Loads of people have finished their RT and disappeared.....poor Anita and Libby will be left on their own lololol

Anita, when you said the other day that your 15 sessions included boosters I didnt think it made sense, as 15 is the standard  level treatment and boosters are always ontop. The good thing is that the rest of your skin has now had all the Rays it will be getting. Also the boosters are much quicker to do, less physical setting you up and measuring. X

Anita

Fantastic Louann. I was expecting to finish tomorrow after 15 but found out today I've got 5 days of boosters next week so my mood has dipped a bit today. Got to psych myself up again for next week. X

Louann

Hi all,

Well that's me finished 25zaps done and dusted, such a shame though that none of my normal team were there today. It was very strange having a complete different team with different ways. 

I'm hoping that the next few weeks are better than I am anticipating.

Good luck to everyone over the following weeks.

L xx

Libby

Only started putting cream on both tonight. It's not all over but is noticable. Hoping it might look better tomorrow.  Can't think of anything I am useing or wearing thats different.

Charys
Community Champion

....but you weren't putting cream on both at the start? Is it the whole breast or could it be a small area is being 'hit'

by the Rays? 

Washing with anything different in the chest area?  Different bra with different fibre composition?

Sorry, just turning investigator now lol

Libby

Hi Charys

Yes mammogram was done both sides. The redness has only been mentioned today and this was my 8th one. Have started putting cream on both sides now. It's not sore but does look a bit red. 

Charys
Community Champion

Hiyer Libby, 

was It red before the treatment or has it happened since the RT? Have you started putting cream on both sides or something ? Odd that isn't it.....your mammogram was done both sides right ?

ok, someone tell me, the skin round my nipple area has now cracked and is weeping....it's a teeny tiny area.....it's less painful than it wa a could days ago. Shall I clean and dress and monitor? 

Libby

Hi all

I have just got back from my 8th Rad treatment out of 15. Today the Radiographer was concerned that the boob that is NOT being treated is quite red and she can't understand why. Its not painful and I hadn't really noticed it before. I am seeing the Doctor at the hospital next week to see how i am getting on. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Louann

Charys I've only been told 5years so far. Not sure if that will change later xx

Charys
Community Champion

Only 5 years Louann.....you planning on dipping out of of tamoxifen before the 10 year mark ? 

Once finished, everyone, we need take care for a few weeks.....apparently 'everything can catch up with you'.....x

Louann

Well done to Charysi and Jsib on finishing your treatment so far yay.

only another 2 for me can't wait to not have to go to the hospital each day, although I'm sure that will be strange enough in itself. Onwards and upwards as they say I'll see you in the tamoxifen thread for the next 5 years lol.

Thank Charys for starting this thread and for all the support from each and everyone of you xx

Louann

Well done to Charysi and Jsib on finishing your treatment so far yay.

only another 2 for me can't wait to not have to go to the hospital each day, although I'm sure that will be strange enough in itself. Onwards and upwards as they say I'll see you in the tamoxifen thread for the next 5 years lol.

Thank Charys for starting this thread and for all the support from each and everyone of you xx

JSib

Hello everyone..

so 20 rads done and my treatment is finished... Seems a little unreal yet- I am so used to going to the hospital (chemo, surgery twice, then rads) it's strange to think I won't have to go back again until the check up in August... I'm red and sore and I know it will get worse before it gets better but I'm still feeling happy, if a little apprehensive. 

Best of luck to everyone still having regular treatment, hope the side effects are minimal and the outcomes are good, it's not pleasant but yeay for everyone kicking cancer's backside...

Anita

Yeah fantastic Charys xx

Charys
Community Champion

Thanks Kathy, for dropping onto the thread with your thoughts, it's kind of you. 

Last boost done early this am. I shall really miss the staff at the unit, and although I won't miss the after effects of treatment, it feels odd to not have a daily scheduled event from now on in. I was warned that things could get worse before better skin wise, but apart from the small area of problem I am told the skin looks 'good'. Incredibly shattered however, crossing my finger for sleep here on in. The unit have said I can ring them at any time over the new few weeks with any concerns. Also told to keep covered in the sun this summer, and use strong sun protection for a few years. 

How are the rest of you today ???

Kacey0804

Hi

I had 15 rads + 5 boosters to the tumour site. I was told it was because My consultant was not happy with the margins, and as one of mine was 0mm I guess that is why I had them. I am 55 so don't think it is to do with age. It is funny, but my skin held up very well until about a week after my last booster and then got very red, sore and started to peel around my lymph node scar rather than my tumour scar. As my rads team were excellent at making sure I was lined up perfectly each day, I am sure they targeted the right area for the boosters, but would have expected the tumour scar to suffer not the lymph node scar. On the bright side I feel more back to normal now 18 days post rads, so good luck ladies. You will get there.

Kathy

Charys
Community Champion

Hiyeeerrrrrr, oh I didn't know that, that not everyone had effective results from RT. I have a line around the breast, one side normal skin and the other side red. So, number 18 done......the stabbing pains are all normal, and the onc pronounced that I had done 'very well with rt'. Although , she thought at first my skin had gone bright red and come off round the nipple area because that was where I was having the boosters, whitch it isn't. She wouldn't have said I'd done well if she'd seen the miserable whiner I've been at times at home lol my peeled off bright red area isn't broken skin, so hydrocortisone cream it is. Louann I think if I'd had as many as you I'd be behaving like a wounded child right now lol

All ll coming close now to the end....what joy it will be. I am told I will have a follow up to check my skin and any rads after effects after the Summer, and then follow up with the surgeon some time after that.

Louann

Good luck with your last one tomorrow Charys I bet you can't wait to be finished.

ive been given some Intrasite gel for my itchy skin and some more gel pads. The radiographers said to me today "well you certainly have a lovely square shape red burn mark on you, at least we know we were always targeting the correct area" they said that not everyone are effective by radiotherapy but I certainly have been lol.

Well almost there myself now can't wait to Thursday evening.

L xx

Charys
Community Champion

Saying that......I'm not going to be begging for another one....... Lol

Charys
Community Champion

Yep, last one tomorrow, very early 7.50 :0( haven't had today's yet....that's not till nearly 4... So the last two boosters will be close together. I guess they are all indivdual....and some boosters are good for, some aren't etc. Etc. 

Anita

11th for me today early one, back home just after 8am so after doing some shopping can have a lazy day watching tennis & footie. It felt a bit more intense today, maybe as it's my last week. I wouldn't worry Charys everyone's treatment plan is personal to them. I'm having boosters within the 15 days not after - well I hope that's what's happening. Is tomorrow your last day? X

AnnDaw

Hi Charys I'm asking about boosters as they haven't mentioned them to me. I'm on number 8 of 15 tomorrow so I will ask.I'm 56 maybe I'm over the age limit then lol.xxx 

Charys
Community Champion

Still don't understand why I'm having 4 boosters, must ask tomorrow, everyone else seems to have 5. They flippin hurt! Well , mine do anyway but that could be the position right at the top on the ribs and cartilage and thin flesh area , and tomorrow is gonna be the hardest to drag myself to the unit. I was also told that it was 'something to do with age' having the boosters, I am 47. X

good luck everyone for the week ahead.......one step closer.......check back tomorrow. 

Mumoftwo

Hi, I had 5 boosters and was told it was because I'm considered "young" (I'm 49!). It targets the tumour bed where the tumour once was. I finished just over two weeks ago but the booster area was far more painful and sore than the rest of my breast. Thankfully it has virtually fully healed now at last! Michelle x

Anita

I should have said ' the area where the tumour was' as of course it's been removed! X

Anita

Ruth I'm not a hundred percent sure of this but I'm sure someone will put you right if I'm wrong. I think boosters are more focused on the area of the tumour whereas the other is general breast area. It seems a lot of people have 15 & then 5 more booster. So if your down as 15 like I am either you're not having or don't need the booster or like me it's already included in the 15. Do ask them though if you're not sure or worried about anything.

I agree with Charys my tiredness hit me on Friday after my tenth session but again I feel the same as I don't know whether that's because of the radiotherapy, the travelling back & forth every day, the lack of sleep or the emotion. I thought I'd feel good on Friday knowing I only had one more week to go but it was almost like oh God I've still got another week to go. Wishing everyone well for next week xx

Ruth Hill

Hello ,Ruth here , what are "boosters" I'm on my second week of 3 tomorrow and my back and my lumpectomy scar is like sunburn on the inside. I have been using aveno dry skin cream it's lovely .

no one has mentioned boosters to me ?

Charys
Community Champion

Hiyer,

for me being tired started after number 10, but as many others have said ( including people I talk to at the unit) they can't tell what is lack of sleep, what is from the emotional and physical sapping of daily visits, and what is actually from the RT itself. 

X

Anita

Ouch ouch & ouch again Charys you poor thing. Mine is red & warm to the touch but nothing else yet. I ache though around the ribs like I've done a gym workout. Really hope they can suggest something for you on Monday. X

AnnDaw

Hi Charys sorry to hear you are having problems with your skin. I started a course of 15 rads on 17th June and have had 7 so far. I was told not to use aqueous cream so I use a cream called double base gel and so far so good.I don't quite know when or if I should be having any side effects yet as don't feel any different. When does fatigue set in? I know we are all different but knowing what to expect helps. Xx