1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jan 2012 Surgery Buddies

Re: Jan 2012 Surgery Buddies

hi ratina
hope all goes well for you tomorrow, we will all be thinking of you.wish it was my turn have ti wait until 27/01 so another 10days. take care and let us know how you after you op debbiex

Hi ladies,

Sorry lynn123, I didn't wish you well for today and you probably won't read this until you get home - but know we were thinking of you. Debh (Deb) have a good night tonight and I'll see you tomorrow. All the best to to everyone having surgery this week. For those post surgery - take care of yourselves and to those expecting results - lots of clear nodes and clear margins.

Hugs, Tina

Getting my op on Thursday, mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes. Have been OK to this point but now feeling apprehensive. I may have misheard but do the drains stay in for two weeks? I thought the BC nurse said that the district nurse would be calling to see me for about 10 days. That seems a long time. Also I was wondering how soon I would be able to get in the shower.
Thanks
KC

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening fellow surgery ladies

Bertha how lucky for you that you did not get any drains at all. Mind have to say mine are not sore just a bit in the road, especially when my cat gets the notion it is a new toy for her. Hope to get them out tomorrow during the check up.
30nov66 my thoughts are with you for your results and do hope they are all good news for you.
Same to you Emma, will be thinking of you.
Margaret and Twinky68 all the best for you pending surgery and once again I will be thinking of you.
Hello Lelly61 nice to see you posting again. I have read some of your previous notes but on a different thread. Hope you are doing okay and that you keep positive.
Singingbird I have been out on Saturday for the first time - not easy leaving your comfort zone but I have to say it was just fine. I am using a slightly bigger fleece with a pashmina drapped round as I can't use my soft boob until the drains are removed. I wonder what kind of bra you are using?

Hugs to you all

Alanaa

Only just joined the site; too scared to look before! Had WLE to remove DCIS on Dec 9th but results showed that not all removed so went back in for Mx and sentinal node removal on Jan 9th and been back home a few days. I know some of you are still waiting for op but hope I can be included in Jan 2012 buddies. The op was OK and I dont think the post op pain has been as bad as after the WLE but it does feel very sad to have lost my breast and I've been very weepy on and off when I think of whats happened. The exercises from the physio were scsry at first but are definitely getting easier. I've got a softy breast for the moment and have ventured out a couple of times for a walk and chat to the neighbours with it on I think its great and a good cover up for the moment.

Hi 30Nov66,

I am now nearly 4 weeks post WLE and ANC. Still a bit swollen but it is definitely going down and much less painful now. I am still off work though, I get tired easily and still can't concentrate on anything (except the cancer!).

Rads planned for Feb which is feeling like a long time to wait.

Hi All, Posted once on here a week or so back. My Mx and sentinel node op is next Monday 23rd. Have been fine up to couple of days ago but have gone down with all the fears and feelings and trying to remain positve for family and friends etc. It's hard! Alanaa thank you for your post, it's really helped and I must just get things back in perspective!! All the best and hugs to all who have their ops this week

Guest user
Not applicable

I havent gone back to work yet either.
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

S i had the same surgery as you but 2 days before you,I had clips which were taken out 6 days after surgery,started to feel less sore once those were taken out,then nurse just put surgical tape over scar/wound,took those off yesterday and had 1st shower since the op,felt great!still feel bit achy.
I got some results last week,that the margins were clear and hadnt spread to lymph nodes but then got told i had grade 3!!Getting rest of results on Tuesday to find out what treatment i need next ,was told last week there would be a possibility of chemo as i had grade 3 so am all prepared for that news.....not worried though,just want whatever is needed.
Good luck for Tuesday too
Emma xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

I week and 2 days past my lumpectomy and SLNB - still quite painful. Was told to have a week off work but I can't see me going in tomorrow somehow!
Anyway know the avergage recovery time for this?

Now I'm also fretting about getting resultson Tuesday - just don't know what to expect!

Sx

Hello BB i know this is a really worrying time for you but you will get through it . I had my MX in september and am undergoing 6xFec now . its the waiting for the results thats the worst part , but keep strong and try and keep positive .Here if you need me

Sending Hugs
Jackie
xxxx

Hello All ,

Good luck to all those having surgery this week.

Had a bit of a scare around delaying op due to bood counts ( already had Chemo) felt fine and full of energy but after chemo and 2 lumpectomies my body is not in best of health regardless of how I feel.
I had my MX on 12th in the end. Back at home on the 13th. No Drains.

Just now have the agonising week wait to see if I have clear margins for the 3rd time ....... not sure what is worse the results or the waiting...

Welcome to those that have recently joined.
BB

Guest user
Not applicable

Im a little late in joining this thread as I had a lumpectomy yesterday, just praying now for clear margins.

Thinking of everyone still to have their surgery, the plus for me was I met some lovely ladies and we were able to share our nerves and worries together.

Jayne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi thought I would join this thread - although have posted elsewhere. Had WLX and SNB on 12th Jan, to remove a tumour near nipple plus area of DCIS. Home on 13th - now having weekend in bed to recover. Surgeon has done a "nipple" slice to see if nipple is clear, so currently I still have it. Go back for results next week. My operated boob is blue, (from the dye used in the snb procedure,) black, ( heamatoma/ bruising I think,) and swollen like a pumpkin and is currently bigger than my other side ! - only thing I can bear to wear is an m&s light secret support top which is amazingly comfy and great tip from my BCN - wore post surgery bra for 1st 24 hours but had to take it off as I swelled up. Taking loads of pills ( 2 types of painkillers,) plus arnica which I found helped after my c sections. Odd coming out of hospital without a stomach full of stitches and a sore boob instead and house filling up with flowers but no baby ! Was totally freaked by the hospital/ surgery ( worth checking what your hospital policy is on having OH wait with you pre surgery if you want him there as I did and got told it was a women's only ward so all men had to leave.) Feel no sense of relief that the cancer is out as I need three lots of clear margins, (nodes, tumor and nipple slice,) to avoid more surgery, and feel waiting for these results is like waiting for diagnosis all over again. The sorest part of me is where they've done the snb, although I have a vague burning sensation behind the nipple.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck Twinky and mgsm.
Twinky, am sure you will be fine by Thursday but if you are still not feeling great by Monday may be worth a quick chat with your BCN. I was due to have my mx and recon today but got a really bad tooth infection on Monday. Told my BCN Tuesday and by Wednesday my surgeon had postponed the op having consulted with my dentist as I needed a root canal yesterday. His concern was that an infection could possibly lead to septicaemia and my body rejecting the implant, although a very low risk he didn't want to take the chance. He commented that a mouth infection is more serious as it gets into the bloodstream quicker. Although I was gutted initially I know it is for the best and just have to wait another couple of weeks. More concerned now as, for the first time ever, the anaesthetic did not work at the dentist despite a real cocktail and even trying one right into the open tooth so petrified I will have a problem for the mx though I was fine when I had the SNB. Also petrified I will catch something else so wrapping myself up in cotton wool until 30 th.......
Take care, don't want to alarm, just share what I have learnt this week
L xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm off to Toulouse tomorrow afternoon (its a 2 hour drive) to stay overnight in a hotel so i can be there first thing Monday as my appointment for my wire location thingy is at 10.15. Am assuming they will keep me in cos i live so far away and then my actual op (lumpectomy and snb) is on Tuesday...so i'm not logging on tomorrow.
Nervous.....i've been so bad tempered all day...my husband has booked into the hotel for 3 nights so he doesnt have to drive backwards and forwards ...i'm hoping i will be home Wednesday with a better temper......best wishes to everyone else who have ops in the week...will catch up Thursday if all goes well.

Mary

Guest user
Not applicable

good luck for thursday Twinky.....you will be so glad when its been and done........
Emma xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good to hear from you Alanaa and reassuring it wasn't too bad an experience. Not long until mine now (Thurs) and trying not to fret too much. Had a bad throat the last few days. Tried hiding under the duvet for two days but it's still not totally gone. Managed to miss all the bad bugs over Xmas but being under a strain since diagnosis I was bound to pick something up. Doubt if it's bad enough to postpone surgery so trying to get plenty of rest & fluids. Don't know why an MX has to feel such a big deal but it does. I'll be glad to get rid of the cancer though so shouldn't complain! Been wondering how BerthaB & Newc43 (both on the 12th) got on. Bit early to hear from them yet.

Hugs to everyone. The January op list is growing daily!

Twinky. Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

just try not to think about it too much,but just think about afterwards.....feet up in hospital,nurses looking after you.....resting......and it all being over
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lynn i think i probably wasnt much help,i was chatting to a friend this morning and she has had lots of surgery and still is sooo frightened of being anaethatised....she said she still cant get used to it.....
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Emma. My imagination is running away with me.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

rrr Lynn you will be fine,i had the same operation as you last week,the anaethatist puts a fine needle in your hand,which doesnt hurt and i hate needles....there was just a strange feeling moving up my arm.....then next thing i was in recovery and it was all over.....
Emma xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
Having a lumpectomy and senitnel node biopsy on Monday 16th january i am so scared about the anisthetic ..cant eat or sleep terrified have been lucky and never needed an anisthetic before, can they sedate me before hand??
lynnxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good afternoon Ladies

I had my mx on Tuesday and got home last night. Drains are still attached but should come out in a few days.
To be honest it has not been as bad as I thought it would bee. Had a wee cry before the op but once I woke up again and all was done it just felt as if a great weight had lifted. My prof is just unbelievable good and gives such support and confidence it made all the difference after the surgery.
Feeling pretty good so far and not sore except a wee bit tired.
You are all in my thoughts and if anybody would like to chat about pendin mx do feel free to message. It was a far more positive experience than expected and I do hope it will be the same for all of you who have to go through this.
I found using a pashmina disguises the missing boob very well and does look rather fetching.

Hug to you all from Alanaa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies
I am sat here as I have been every night since diagnosis with a vodka in my hand and thinking I should really go to bed as I have work in the morning but I am thinking of you all and sending much love and hugs because I know we will all be ok and get through this!! Science is a wonderful thing and progress is so fast that we will all be here next year saying what has that last year been like!! Tough yes but we will get through it!
Best wishes to everyone and raise your glass to our future!
Mary xxx

Hope you ladies are all well.laying here not able to sleep gets you thinking all types of things.only 2 weeks now till my surgery but seems along time at the moment. Debbie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there - can I join please?

Had my surgery on the 6th Jan, lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. Waiting for results on 17th Jan. Good luck to you all and mega virtual hand holding from me!

S x

Guest user
Not applicable

Not long now, thank you all and I'll keep you posted. Good luck Bertha

Hugs and xxxxx
Di

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to all those due to have their surgery in the next few days. Was due to have mine 14th but delayed until 30th as I have a very bad tooth infection and my surgeon says there is too much risk for the implant. Gutted as the waiting has been so hard but know deep down it is the right decision. Now worried I have to lock myself away a further two weeks so I don't get anything that could further delay things 😞

L x

Hi Ladies,

Lovely to meet you today Tina its comforting to have met somebody I will be in hospital with. Surgery on 17th Jan full MX dreading it but we are all in the same boat and we will all come out of it at the other end. Good luck for all those ladies waiting for ops and hugs to you all.

Debh xx

Hi all,

This is my first time of posting have pmed a few people but never posted but thought my experiences may help. I was dx in september had 1st WLE and SNB in October. Had 6/14 nodes involved and was told I had grade 2 lobular invasive carsinoma but they could not get clear margins. I had a 2nd WLE and ANC on 28th November. Another 11 nodes were all clear but margins were not so was advised MX. This totally terrified me and begged for immediate recon (I still need chemo and rads). Saw the PS on 28th December we had a good chat and he ask how I felt about a double prophylactic mastectomy as lobular has a very high risk of reacurrence in the other breast also this type is very hard to detect. To be fair from day one I have wanted this option if the only option I was left with was MX as I dont want to go through this night mare again (I know nothing is 100%) The PS and I agree on a double mastectomy with immediate LD recon with implant on good side and expander on the bad and as PS said if rads messed up my bad side he could redo. This was done on th 4th jan. I am not going to say it has been easy. I had a mini break down on my way into theatre and was going to flee the hospital dont know were I thought I was going lol. Was in a quite a lot of pain when I woke up but this was soon sorted by the amazing nursing staff couldnt get out of bed for a couple of days. but am a week on now out of hospital after 5 days still on paracetamol and cant sleep on my stomache but glad I have done it and have this part over with. Do the exercises, gently, every day without fail as this really helps. The main thing id like to say is its not as bad as you think the fear of the unknown really cracked me up. Hope all your ops go well and if anyone wants to ask me anything at all by all means do and I will answer you as honestly as I can.

Love, Jennie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
I am having Mastectomy, lymph node clearance and reconstruction on 18th January. Dreading it all. Diagnosed 24th November so seems waiting ages.
Thinking about you all
Jayne

All the best for tomorrow, Newc43 and BerthaB.

Angel, great news that your margins were clear and there was no lymph node involvement 🙂

Had my pre-op today and met debh, she's a lovely lady and having surgery the same day as me. I hope she joins this thread.

Healing vibes to all who have had their surgery already and hugs to everyone who is anxious about their ops and future treatment.

Ratina x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angel....good you have clear margins & no more surgery! Try not to fret about the possibility of chemo. We'll help you through each step x

Twinky

Guest user
Not applicable

Alanaa hope you are well and good luck to Newc43& Bertha B for tomorrow. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Got my results today from my surgery I had last week,all of the cancer was removed successfully with clear margins,so no more surgery and it definately hasnt spread to the lymph nodes so that was a relief,but i was told it is Grade 3 so i may have to have chemo,will find out definately next Tuesday.

Got my date for NXP &auxillary node surg
ery 27th Jan scared.

I'm now signed up for surgery. Diagnosed on 6th Jan, lumpectomy and SNB on 16th Jan.

I have presumptive grade 1 invasive ductal carcinoma, with oestrogen and progesterone receptor positive.

Guest user
Not applicable

Wow, Angel 18, sounds so quick for you but probably the best thing as the waiting is the worst and it sounds as if you are progressing well so great to hear.
Welcome to all the other new ladies and best wishes to all those undergoing surgery this week.
Lots of virtual hugs and hand-holding xx

Guest user
Not applicable

yeah healing fine....just so tired.Mentally i feel great,was so relieved once i had had the surgery,just waiting on results now for what my further treatment will be.Luckily I only had to wait 12 days from diagnosis to surgery,its all happened very quickly for me.Good luck to everyone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Diagnosed 20th December and I've a lumpectomy and SNB scheduled for 17th Jan.

This websire/forum has been a godsend to me so far (diagnosed 20th December)and eveyone is so supportive. So I'd like to join in the vitual hand holding and good luck to everyone waiting.

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angel18....hope you're healing nicely x and welcome to Debbie (Mollie43). Some of us still have a bit of a wait and mixed feelings (wanting it to be over but not wanting it to be done if you know what I mean...lol). Deep breath & lots of hugs. Don't forget to come back here after surgery to let us know you're ok and give advice. I shall be posting from my hospital bed (lol wonders of modern technology) so up to the minute details for anyone wanting to follow a simple (surgeon's words not mine) mastectomy & aux clearance.

Hugs

Twinky x x

i would like to join you all, diagnosed 20/12 had mri 28/12 and saw consultant 05/01 who said it had spread to lymph nodes.
having full mx and node clearance then chemo and rads,havn't got a date but will be in the next 3 weeks so in jan.hope you are all keeping chins up as much as you can debbie x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi i had lumpectomy and SNB last wednesday the 4th Jan,so good luck to all those waiting xx

All the best for tomorrow Alanaa, we'll be thinking of you 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Lots of hugs for those who start their surgery this week:

Alanaa on 10th
Newc43 & Bertha B on 12th
Lelly61 on 14th

Keep us posted with your progress and for those having to wait another week...keep your chin up, we're nearly there x

Twinky

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck everyone xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Alanaa,

Yes I agree, but it's better to get rid of this horrible thing. I've put my trust completely in the surgical team who I think are wonderful.
I'm looking down the tunnel to 18 months from now when I can have a recon. Think I'm going to have a TRAM flap (I think that's the procedure). I look at it as having a tummy tuck at the same time! Lol!
Di

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Di

believe you me I am not eager to be at the front of the line but at least it will be over and done with soon.

Alanaa

Would love to join you all. Having mx with lymph node excision on 23rd. Virtual hugs and hand holding to all January Surgery buddies.
MM X