Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jan 2012 Surgery Buddies

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Jan 2012 Surgery Buddies

Hi all,

I'm still spinning from the shock of having to have another op. Saw my bc nurse last night at a support group meeting so made a bit more sense of it but you're still in the land of limbo. Just take each treatment with outcome unknown until you know it - that's the hardest bit. If they said "this will fix you" you'd cope. But that's the nature of this beast isn't it and we're all in the same boat. I know I sound a bit depressing this morning, I haven't slept much, I'm going to pop in to work today to show willing and distract me. Also have to tell kids about another op which is the most horrible part probably.

Hey ho,

Sassy x

Mary,

Where were you treated? I think it is unusual to have the intro=operative assessment from what I can see on here. I was in winchester.

Lynda

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope can join you all,had mx 10th Jan.

Guest user
Not applicable

Lynda
EXACTLY ..i had been told that it was unlikely that the nodes were affected so it was a real shock...and yes i was probably still woozy from the anasthetic (my spelling has gone aground too).
Mary M.

TTM: there is a program available on line which he used which takes age into account as one of the factors. But I think grade, size and spread are the main things. I agree write things down so that you remember, and take someone with you if you can because it can be a lot to take in. I would also add don't be scared to ask for time to make the decision if you need it.

Mary M; thank you. I felt so stupid at first collapsing into tears over that when I hadn't over the diagnosis. But in hindsight I think it was also possibly the after effects from the anaesthetic, and the fact that it was unexpected. I would have been better if they hadn't been so positive the nodes were clear before.

good luck to the ladies having surgery tomorrow.i have mine next week at the end of al of you.reaaly getting anxious now drinking too much wine than is good for me.
had pre op assesment yesterday blood presure really high(can't think why) but otherwise all ok.
Had to have more blood test as have rare blood group and may be called back for more if antibodies in it whatever that means, as i said good luck all you ladies thinkin of you debbie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Lynda
not illogical ...i felt the same ..first diagnosis was a shock but I'd started to get used to it...sort of knew which way i was heading and the positive node has put me off course (good thing I'm not a cruise ship)

Mary M
(to distinguish me from other Marys because other Marys are available)

did he consider your age with your treatment plan then. or is mainly grade nodes and stuff main things.
sorry for so many questions.

i am going to write my questions down for when i go, because as soon as get in room with doctors my mind goes blank sometimes with everything they are telling you and forget half of stuff i was going to ask.

TTM xxx

They give you different tablets depending on whether you are pre or post menopausal.

Also of course your normal life expectancy is different depending on your age. So for example if you are 30 you might have 50 years left to have a recurrence, but if you are 60 it would be less.

lakeslover - that helps a lot! thankyou. when i go i want to understand stuff so i know what to ask about.

mine is ER+ - Consultant surgeon has mentioned hormone therapy but will be discussed in detail with onc she says.

why does age make a difference, with the tablets?

TTM

Guest user
Not applicable

All the best for tomorrow for Jo and Mary and the rest of the buddies.

Hope you all have a nice evening

Alanaa xx

Hi

Ok it was 18mm lump, G2, ER+ve, sentinal node positive but remaining 13 nodes removed and all negative.

So on the good side the cancer was relatively small, and ER+ve which means taking Tamoxifen can produce a good improvement in survival rates. I am 50 but pre-menopausal, age makes a difference.

On the bad side the node was involved, but good that it was only 1.

Grade is important, my Onc said if I have been grade 3 he would have recommended chemo anyway as it tends to be more agressive.

He also said that if no nodes have been involved he would not recommend it.

I fell inbetween. He did give me survival rates with and without the different forms of treatment so that I could make an informed judgement because I asked him directly. I felt he was very balanced, gave me time to talk it through, offered me more time to go away and think about it if I wanted to, and didn't pressurise me either way.

Does that help at all?

Lynda

hi lakeslover,

just reading your experience so far and what your further treatment will be. what was results of your op, grade nodes etc. and what were all the factors looked at, you mentioned age size of lump etc. i havent met onc yet and wondering what to expect.

hugs TTM xxx

Hi fran,

Sorry to hear about your positive node. I know what a shock it is. I'm not sure why but for me it was actually worse than finding out about the cancer in the first place (totally illogical I know).

I hope the appointment tomorrow is OK. As you say best to get it over with, and I am sure you will feel a bit better when you know exactly what you are facing.

Lynda

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies,
Mary I had a snb and wle on 28th Feb went for my results yesterday and 1 out of 4 nodes was positive. They already said I had to have chemo and rad and 5 years of tamoxifen but now have to have another op and to remove all nodes..wish they had done it there and then but they didnt. So thats why i joined this thread. My lump was 32mm anyway was a bit upset yesterday but they were all lovely and they were shocked that they had found one of nodes to be positive as well. But they said best to get them all out as a prevantative measure..which is what i want really just waiting for my date, which should be next two weeks.
I'm meeting the onc tomorrow to tell me all about the treatment, i said could i put it off but my bcn said i will have to go eventually so i said that i'd go tom.
I'm sure it will all be fine in the end..I'm just thinking i'm going to have a few bad months and hopefully thats it and start living my life again.fingers crossed.
Love fran

No problem, I bet there are lots of us.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Lynda,
feel better already i knew someone out there would have a similar experience....

Mary

Hi Mary,

I was the same aas you, went in for WLE (18mm lump ER +veand SNB and as it was positive they did ANC while I was under. Whilst it was a shock because they had appeared pretty certain the node was not affected on reflection (4 weeks post op) I am just glad they did it all at once and I didn't have to go back for ANC later.

For me the 2 week wait for results was the longest 2 weeks of my life, but in the end only the sentinal was positive, and the margins were clear.

If it helps the next step was a discussion with the oncologist over whether to have chemo and rads or just rads (and Tamoxifen in either case). It really was a 2 way discussion over the risks and benefits (based on ER status, grade, size of tumour, age, and type of chemo). In the end in my case the benefits were relatively small and I decided just to have Rads. There was no pressure from the oncologist for either option as he said I was vey borderline. Now of course I just have to live with my decision and hope I never have to say what if.

Good luck with your results

Lynda

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone. I'm back from surgery....are we allowed to swear on here? Am I allowed to say **** ****** **** ******* etc etc ?
I went in with a 8mm lump, non aggressive,follow up radiotherapy and then 5 years of anti-hormone stuff and have come back with a positive result on my sentinel node and therefore immediate, there and then, full axillary clearance and the word chemotherapy crept into the post surgery discussion. I am thoroughly and totally and completely p***** off.
Now have to wait just over 2 weeks for my follow up appointment where i will find out if further nodes were positive and if my margins are clear....i am not taking any notice of optimistic pronouncements from now on....my surgeon said she was 'surprised' to find a suspicious sentinel node...what other surprises are there going to be?
Sorry to be so cross but I darent be really cross anywhere else than here......hope you will understand....i know lots of you out there are in the same place.....and I know that it was better to have the axillary clearance all at the same time instead of having to go back for more surgery so i should stay positive (ha!) about that!
kisses (bisous) to you all...
Mary

Hi everyo

You are all so inspirational I was diagnosed with stage 1 invasive DC earlier this week after an exiscion biopsy which came through screening process. I first surgery was on 3rd jan and i am going next week for sentinel nodes biopsy and wide excision. I am reassured by your comments I feel afraid that I will have panic attack and run away or cry loads so it is reassuring to know that this is a normal reaction Good luck everyone with your surgery and i would love to be a surgical buddy x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

First time post on this thread - have been on september chemo thread though as have had my chemo. Just wanted to join in so that if I can be of any support to anyone I can be. I had my mx on Monday 16th with full lymph clearance. Came home yesterday. I was absolutely petrified and cried all the way to theatre - but it was just the fear of the unknown and it was fine. All went well and although a bit swollen and bruised, the district nurse came and said my scar is looking good. Have my softie in my bra and honestly you could not tell I had only one boob! Feeling positive and soooo glad this part is over - I am now 2/3 rds through with only rads to go. I cannot believe I have come this far and would say to any ladies who are worried about chemo / surgery - it is tough but do able! Please feel free to pm if you want to ask me anything at all. Ali xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

First time post on this thread - have been on september chemo thread though as have had my chemo. Just wanted to join in so that if I can be of any support to anyone I can be. I had my mx on Monday 16th with full lymph clearance. Came home yesterday. I was absolutely petrified and cried all the way to theatre - but it was just the fear of the unknown and it was fine. All went well and although a bit swollen and bruised, the district nurse came and said my scar is looking good. Have my softie in my bra and honestly you could not tell I had only one boob! Feeling positive and soooo glad this part is over - I am now 2/3 rds through with only rads to go. I cannot believe I have come this far and would say to any ladies who are worried about chemo / surgery - it is tough but do able! Please feel free to pm if you want to ask me anything at all. Ali xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for all your kind comments ladies. Had a call from my surgeon who wants to see me tonight though he did add that I was not to worry !!
Will be thinking of Jo and Mary plus all the other ladies for the next few days and sorry to hear your news TTM so big hugs to you as well.

Take care everyone
Big hugs xx

hi twinky68,

lots of hugs for tomorrow and will be interested to hear your mx guide.

i have had op, but need further wle so will join you ladies on this thread if i may. planned for next week.
so after been there done it; wisely advise not sure about!, i am safely back in the land of clueless and scared!.

TTM xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Crumbs.....just woke from a nap when I had the most hideous dream (about people having chemo) to the sound of what I thought was footsteps coming up the stairs. As hubby is working 2.5 hours drive away and I'm home alone felt a bit panicky for a moment. No intruder I can happy report although the visions in my dream might take longer to dispell. That'll teach me for not going to bed at a sensible time and taking a nap during the day!

Anyway, good luck to you Mary (peanut). You'll be up very early tomorrow for a long journey. My hospital is about 30 miles away but only takes about 25 mins by two motorways. I won't leave here until about 4pm tomorrow. Not sure when Kitcat's surgery is timed for but I am assuming I'm last on the theatre trip list!

Can't remember who is 'on the table' Friday to wish them luck. Will report back soon and don't forget to follow my step by step Idiots Guide to Surviving an MX which will start on the car journey to the hospital (no I won't be driving...lol).

Hugs all round

Jo x x

Guest user
Not applicable

I was hoping to spring clean also Twinky but my OH had arranged before xmas and before diagnosis to have hall, stairs and landing decorated and new carpet. I didnt want to cancel so decoraters still here along with a lot of dust!! will be finished tomorrow and carpet down Fri.
Got to leave at 6am for surgery tomorrow as hospital in Kendal and Im in Lancashire so hopefully all will be clean when I get back!!
Good luck Lelly hopefully you wont have to wait too long.
Thinking of everyone
Mary xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning

Just got back from having my hair cut. Now trying to decide whether I can be bothered to colour it! Poor lelly61....what a nightmare time for you! Just hope all the dental problems stop soon do that you can have your surgery. Big hugs to you. I'm still in spring cleaning mode but might take a nap later to make up for staying awake until a silly time. Arranged to go out tonight for food with a friend and have a music session afterwards. This means another late night but I can sleep in tomorrow as I don't have to be at the hospital until 5pm (I am last on the theatre list). Mind you...might have to set the alarm for my last meal....breakfast!

Good luck to all of you waiting, and well done to those who have been there, done it and now wisely advise those of us who are currently clueless & scared!

Twinky x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning Ladies

poor Lelly I do feel for you. I had a lot of bother with my top teeth so got a nice set of fals ones last year and never looked back. Mind you at this rate my house will turn into a spares department with teeth, boob and maybe hair as well if I need further treatment.
The waiting is just horrid but hopefully it won't be to long now for you.

Best wishes to you one and all for upcoming treatment this week.

Hug from Alanaa x

Good luck to everyone having there ops in the next couple of days ((((((((((((huge hugs))))))))))) to you all. What a good idea 30nov66 I would be up for a meet up am in middlesbrough myself but prepared to travel. So sorry about your tooth lelly going to the dentist is one of my fears hate it will keep my fingers crossed for you as I know how bad the waiting is.

love jennie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Poor you lelly! I hope you manage to sort it soon, and of course stay here with us anyway! Big hug,

Sassy x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to all having their ops over the next few days and sorry to hear about those who face further treatment. Haven't posted much on here recently as having a bad time as op keeps getting postponed and I just want it over with. On top of that I am suffering terribly with raging toothache (reason for postponement) and feeling really guilty about work. Strong possibility that following my latest trip to the dentist yesterday, my surgeon will postpone my op further so may slip into February now. Hope I can stay with you lovely ladies though for the virtual hugs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck today ladies, lots of love to you all.

Just treat it is the time that you allowed to be totally spoilt and waited on hand and foot!!

Hope it goes well.

Sassy xx

Off for my pre-op assessment at 10am. Nurse said I would only be there an hour which sounds a bit optimistic given the usual waiting around. My neighbour's daughter works in cardiology so she might be able to speed me through if she's working today. It's quite a small hospital so every time I go I see people I know either working there or as patients.

Then packing my overnight bag ready for tomorrow. Going to take my iPad as nurse said you can use iphones and I can turn the iPad on to silent. Hope that will be allowed.

Hoping to only be in overnight but will take my charger just in case it's longer.

Spent the last couple of days like Twinky68, getting my hair cut and spring cleaning.

This might be a daft question but would it be OK to wear deodorant before the op tomorrow?

If we can't all meet up later on we could always have a virtual group hug at our computers with a glass of wine and some nibbles.
KC

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Yes I'm up for a big group hug somewhere in the country in July. Looks like there's 3 of us off to theatre on Thursday (which is now tomorrow as it's nearly 3am....but I'm not calling it tomorrow yet because I haven't had tonight's sleep yet...lol). I'll be in good company with Peanut & Kitcat (crumbs....those names are making me hungry). Thanks for the advice on clothes. My Mum is sending up her woolley 'poncho' but I won't be wearing a big Mexican hat. Got the iPod loaded and will take a charger so the only flat thing is half my chest and not all my technology. Will post from my hospital bed to reassure those still waiting for surgery that it's not as scary as it seems.....will call my posting The Idiots Guide to surviving an MX ( like the range of yellow & black fronted books you can buy that teach you how to do most things) so look out for that post!

Suppose I'd better go to sleep. Got all sorts of things to do tomorrow including a hair cut and then a self colouring session back at home ( economising...lol). It's not insomnia that keeps me up until this hour but instead have been busy clearing out drawers & stuff in the bedroom and generally spring cleaning the house ready for when I'm not quite do capable! Hubby is also missing (away working....not AWOL) so no nagging to go to bed at a normal time!

Right, night all

Twinky x x

Guest user
Not applicable

30nov66

What a splendid idea to have a gathering at some point this year. Not sure about you but I live in the North East of Scotland and I presume most of you Buddies are further South, but have legs and happy to travel.

Love to you all

Alanaa

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks ladies,

I'm not alone then!

Lets target July 2012 for one helluva party somewhere, whatever state we're in, wherever we are, us Jan Op babes will be together for real hugs, sympathy and maybe even a wee glass of something!!! Shouldn't be too difficult to achieve should it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/

Love to you all,

S xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Leeds39 and all you other lovely ladies,

I;m with you Leeds - scary time! But we'll not this bugger out and then some!

s x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all, it me back at home.

I waited virtually all day on Thursday for the op, finally going along to theatre at 3pm (nothing to eat since 8 pm previous day!). OH was with me right up to virtually the pre-theatre door! The op was successful, full right mx and SNB, the surgeon taking 4 nodes out which he informed me were negative. He was surprised that I remembered his name when he saw me in recovery!
Same as alanna, if anyone want to pm me about this I will talk about it. Good luck to Twinky and Debster for this week and good luck to BerthaB for your results.

Margaret May, don't think about staying positive for your family and friends, this is happening to you, not them and they will stay positive for YOU, and please keep in touch with this thread, because I have got great support from everyone on here, with our 'virtual hands'. I told the anaesthetic nurse about it and she thought it was a brilliant idea. (I did have a few tears pre-surgery, but I'm allowed to.
To Kit Kat, it's exactly as singingbird said - my drain came out today, I had an extra day in hosp because of it as I didn't want to come home with it, not fair to my family. The district nurse will visit me on Thursday to re-dress the wound, and boy, it isn't 'arf itchy under the dressing!!
alanaa, I got a sports bra from Bravissimo, the ladies in that shop get special training from BCC and Macmillan, you can even go back with your bra and softie and they will adjust it, I feel pretty lopsided at the minute with mine!
I intend to be off work for as long as I can, for 'emotional healing' as ABitRandom says. My one concern at the minute is, my OH doesn't want to look at me yet, any ideas ladies? It was a big step for me to look at myself but my lovely staff nurse Beth came with me into the bathroom in the ward and was with me for about 20 minutes. She described 'me' to me then let me look in the mirror, and it's like everyone else says, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
This is getting to be far too long, almost a blog. but one last thing to Leeds39, chin up girl, stay in the circle for your virtual hugs.
Cheers (ooh I forgot to ask when I could have a drink! Pooey!)
hugs and xxxxx
Di

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,
Good luck to those having an op soon!
I got my results today grade 3 36mm and there's more but I need time to understand it all. I had clear margins but there's always a but 1 out of 4 nodes had cancer so have to have another op for full auxilary clearance. I'm trying to be positive too but having a bad day today a bit scared but smiling for the children.
Thanks again
Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to Kitcat and Twinky for op thurs same day as me.
Sorry 30nov that you have to have further surgery but at least you will know it will be all gone.
Also good luck to Melinda for tomorrow.
Best wishes xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello to all of you

Nov66 you poor lamb, my heart goes out to you but you will get there. Keep your chin up the good times will be back soon for you and all of us.
Twinky will be thinking of you tomorrow and good luck to you.
I found a soft cotton material top without sleeves and a big fleece with a pashmina (hid the missing boob rather well) was comfy and no bother to get on or off.

Best wishes to all who will go for surgery/results this week

Love from Alanaa xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

I would also really like to join and support all.
Diagnosed 21st Dec (not the best Xmas present I have ever had 🙂
MX & Lymph clearance booked for 20/01.
Best of wishes to those that have had their ops and also for those that are waiting
xxx

Good luck tommow Twinky!

Buttoned up tops, lots of layers and a zipped up top, oh yes sturdy boots/hoes so you don't slip!!

Axx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Big hugs for 30nov66....sorry to hear you've got to have more surgery. Nearly time for me. Got a bag half packed but not even sure what to wear when I escape from hospital (any sensible suggestions from those who had ops earlier in Jan).

Twinky x

Hi 30Nov66,
I'm having my nodes removed and mastectomy on Thursday and, like you, I was pretty worried about the nodes being involved. However, since then I've read quite a lot from people who have been in this situation and they've come through it well and are quite a way down the line.

So I am sure that you and I will both do well. One thing the surgeon did say to me was that he could try to do less radical surgery but I might need another op if he didn't take enough so I asked him to do the larger job so that I didn't need more surgery later on.

I've set myself six months to get any further treatment and hopefully be out the other side, I thought it would be an achievable goal with an end in sight.

You're welcome to join me.
KC

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear all,

I had my results today - not what I had hoped for. Margin not quite clear so taking a bit more and tumour in 1 of the 5 nodes they took out. So now I have another op to remove all the nodes. I can't quite take it in & I'm not sure what all the implications of this is. I'm trying to find something positive to hang to - I have that feeling again like I'm just in a bad dream.

Sxx

Hello All

Alanaa, re Drains - I think it is the way I wrote that !I had a drain initially but what I was trying to say is that I was released out of hospital without a drain!

Kitcat- good luck for Thursday, the Drain thing depends on you. Re shower I also had a waterproof dressing and was told I could have a shower.

singingbird - after the MX I also look down and find it kinda sad. The softy is good though. Trying not be seen by the kids as well. Suddenly mummy is very shy when getting changed.

Re work I was told 3-4 weeks for all 3 ops so far.

Hugs,
BB

Had my surgery (WLE & SNB) yesterday (16th NZ time) and it went well. Preliminary results showed the sentinel node looks clear, but full results next week.

The boob itself is not sore, but I have a swollen, black & blue armpit. I also get to wear some rather sexy (not) surgical stockings for the rest of the week and it is mid-summer here!

My surgeon has told me a minimum of 2 weeks off work, mostly for emotional healing. He is really nice and understanding.

Good luck to all those still waiting surgery. Try not to worry too much. Listening to relaxation style music helps when your mind is going crazy. Another resource I found was this self-hypnosis audio file - scroll down the page to "Self Hypnosis - Dr Bob Large". It encourages you to relax and anything is worth a shot. The actual hypnosis part starts about 2 mins in:
http://www.calm.auckland.ac.nz/17.html#2_5

Thanks singing bird, I'm pretty sure I must have misheard what the nurse said, I guess it's easy to do that when you have a lot on your mind. Good luck to everyone having ops in January.
KC

Hi Kitkat, about the drains, I think it seems to vary how long you have them in, because mine came out on second and third day while I was still in hospital.From what the nurse said it depends on how much fluid collects.Hope this helps, even if its not very definitive. I was told I could shower once drains were out and I had a showerproof dressing on. What luxury, a simple shower!
x