1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jan 2014 New Year Newbies?!!

Spanishcarla

Re: Jan 2014 New Year Newbies?!!

Hi laine24, your situation is similar to mine.  Started my  FEC-T just before Christmas!  Had my mastectomy on 14 November too and full axillary clearance because 2 nodes were positive.  Took 5 visits to nurse to drain my seroma, it will go eventually.  I'm 49 with two children, 8 and 16.  I'm on the FB page 'January Newbies', please join! Debbie X

Joanne1973

Hi all new year newbies. I know you are all getting ready to start treatment and are probably feeling very anxious and scared. I wanted to wish each and every one if you the very best for 2014. You are all in the best place for support and advice.  I am having cycle 2 of ec in Friday. 

Keep strong, take it one small step, day, cycle at a time. 

Love and warm hugs to you all

🙂 Xx

minig

Oh Laine I do feel for you. I have a 7 year old and also had to tell him about my diagnosis when he knew his nanna died of cancer 2 years ago. I was given the book Mummys Lump by my nurse which really helped and he seems to be dealing with it well so far. Sorry to hear that you feel isolated after your move. But we're all here to support you and if you like you can join our private facebook group - just message Jolou71 with your name. We tend to post more on there now. Best of luck with your first chemo today - not the best new year's present is it? Lots of love, Nicky xx

Jaine

Glad you found us.  Most of us are waiting to start chemo and all feeling a bit anxious about it!  But we will get through it together.  We have a group on Facebook if you are on it.  Happy New Year let's hope it it a good one for all of us

laine24

Hi everyone just found this forum which is bril tho still working out how to use it. I  start my first chemo fec t x6 tomorrow and dreading it! then i'll have radiotherapy then because one of 2 lymph nodes were infected i'll  have remainder removed ( I think)  I was diagnosed end of oct, had a mastectomy 14 nov and having to go to the seroma clinic every week.  Hardest part after getting over the initial shock, as picked up through an early mammogram was telling my 8 year old, especially as he knew both his grandmothers and an aunt died

of cancer.  Having moved house back in august away from friends and brilliant neighbours feel quite isolated. Feeling very shell shocked 😞 . Although 48 wish my mum was here to give me a cuddle and tell me it'll all be ok! 

Jaine

Hi Minig - I am having 6 Fec as well.  I am triple negative, (metaplastic) didn't even ask why they had chosen that.  There is isn't any specific treatment for my kind of cancer, it seems like zap it with something and hope for the best!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi minig. I too had a delay with my chemo dates because of the Christmas period but am due to start on 3 Jan. Hope you hear soon.
Jaine

I am waiting for my dates too.  Just clearing up after Christmas, my daughter, grandson and two kittens came to stay, they have gone now, but left their mess behind.  It's great they are behaving like normal!  Hopefully I will have a few days before treatment of feeling physically fine which I do now, a month off work, healthy eating and getting back into exercise have done wonders for my physical well being, if only I could do the same with my head!  Ah well perhaps the cold cap will numb my brain!

minig

Hello everyone, I've been away for a week over Christmas with limited wifi so couldnt access the forum. Back home now and seen we have lots of new peeps on board. Welcome everyone! Just a reminder that if you'd like to join our private facebook page just private message Jolou71 with your real name and she will add you to the group. 

I've been told I'm starting chemo first week of Jan but not had an appointment date through yet so getting a bit frustrated as I want to get cracking now. I hate all this hanging around not knowing, and its so hard to plan when you have small children to arrange childcare for and a business to run. Grrr!

I've also been worrying that I'm only having 6 x FEC when most people seem to be having FEC-T. I have grade 3 IDC with vascular invasion & micromets in 2 out of 4 nodes, so I want to make sure they throw everything at it! Its all very well talking about 10 yr survival rates but my youngest is only 2, so I need a few more years than that! 

Left a few messages on answerphones at the hospital today but think everyone is away until the new year. So now channeling my energies into soucing the perfect wig LOL! 🙂

Hope everyone is doing ok under the circumstances? I know it can feel a bit low after the excitement of Christmas when you're waiting to start chemo in the new year.

xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi rainbow welcome to the forum ..i had masectomy was told i need 6 treatment chemo which starts on 10th jan ..not looking forward..im 59 yr now because her2 positive been told beed herceptin for a year and radiotherapy .. just dont feel happy about it all xx hopefully you got over shock info on phone xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Jan 2014 New Year Newbie's?!!

Thanks Jane. I may try to have a chat with the physio I was seeing before I was diagnosed, to get some advice. When I last saw him he wouldn't give any treatment and he recommended that I take up any hospital physio post-op, as he won't have access to my full medical records whereas they will; which makes sense.
Thanks for the pm info, I have done that now.
x

Jaine

Hi Rainbow. Sorry to hear your appointment was messed up and you had to hear the results over the phone.  I had a similar experience expecting only radiotherapy but then being told told I had  to have chemo.  It knocks you for six doesn't it.  I have to have chemo because I am triple negative.  I would be asking your GP to refer you for physio it can't help having that to worry about  when you are trying to deal with the bc.  

To pm Joanne find a message from her and click on her name you can pm her from that page (I think!)  

Jane

Jo_BCC

Hi Rainbow1

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  Because it's the Christmas/New Year period the forums are a bit quieter than normal but I am sure someone will be along soon to offer you some much needed support.

In the meantime if you need to talk to someone in confidence then please do give our helpline team a ring.  Calls are free, the opening hours over the next few days are below.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000

Monday 30 December 9am–5pm,

Tuesday 31 December 2013 9am–2pm

Normal opening hours resume on Thursday 2 January 2014 (Monday–Friday 9am–5pm and Saturday 10am–2pm.)

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi.  This is my first post. I have been reading the December Newbie's and this  thread and I'd like to join your group, please.

My BC was not detectable manually (no lumps/discharge etc); I was 51 (have just turned 52) and had pressed my GP for a referral to a BC screening/team, on the advice of my physio , who was treating me for a perceived  trapped nerve after I presented (again!) to my GP complaining (again) of muscle/joint aches and pains, which included neck/shoulder discomfort/limitation of movement (had difficulty getting some clothes on/off ; much to the amusement of a dressing room assistant when I got stuck with a dress half-on/half-off in a changing room & had to ask for help), and  I also  had  bothersome and worrying (to me) aching in my left armpit/breast. GP did his own examination and found nothing, but reluctantly agreed to refer me to a BC Unit. I totally expected the BC checks to be negative and was then going to ask for further investigation on my neck/shoulder as I had suspicions of a rotor cuff tear. Questions to GP about the muscle/joint pain seemed to fall on deaf ears and I felt like I was seen as a neurotic middle aged woman.

However. mammo/ultrasound and biopsies were done 2/11/13 & results 12/11/13 indicated a 2cm invasive ductal cancer in my left breast. Lymph results were clear. I had a WLE/SNB 6/12/13 and was anticipating/preparing mentally for radiotherapy as follow up.

Doing the recommended exercises, I had managed to regain my pre-op mobility level in my left arm/shoulder -  up until Xmas eve, since when I feel that I have a lump under my arm, it is sore/painful/stinging and more than uncomfortable to do the exercises and mobility has reduced 😞  

A hospital visit Friday tells me there is a slight swelling in the armpit area but no fluid to drain and the wounds look to be healing well, albeit a little pink in the SNB area. BCN advice is to take pain-killers and continue with the exercises. GP has prescribed antibiotics as a precaution and has advised to rest...I am still  trying to do exercises without overdoing it. Neck discomfort is getting worse.  BCN says I will automatically get a physio letter at some stage.

When I left hospital after surgery. I was told that my follow up appointment would be 24/12,  I phoned 16/12  as I hadn't had a letter to confirm and was apologetically informed on 19/12 that appointments for ladies who had surgery 6/12 had not been made; they had messed up. However, I was given some results info by phone (!!!) .  Having anticipated surgery followed by radio, I was shellshocked, panic stricken and despondent to be told that the good news is " we won't need to recall you for any further surgery; lymph nodes/margins clear". (Yay!) "However, HER2 is positive ( I am triple positive)... So you will need herceptin & therefore chemo.  As well as hormone treatment and radio." 

A lot to take in by 'phone, and my voice deserted me to a squeak, but at least the wait was (sort of) over. Fortunately, two of my daughters ( 19 & 22) were at home when I took that call and were brilliant in consoling me, but I still feel awful guilt at having burdened them with my reaction to the news at the time. My 2 year old granddaughter reduced me to floods when she looked me in the eye and asked "OK Nanny?" that day.

Anyway, we have had a lovely family Xmas despite the "elephant in the corner".

My appointment to see the surgeon has now come through for  7/1/14, and my oncology appointment is the day before - 6/1/14 (!?}. BCN I saw Friday says Onc will discuss/explain my results and treatment plan; I have asked for a copy of the report to be sent to me before then. I am not confident this will happen, but we will see.  Surgeon 7/1 will check wounds and go through results too.

I'm having many mini-wobbles, at the slightest thing (certain songs/TV ads etc) and so fed up with smiling and nodding when people tell me to keep positive grrr. I know it (chemo etc) needs to be done, but certainly don't feel happy about it.

I'm also told that the neck/shoulder,muscle/joint aches and pains are unrelated to the BC; I still have them.

Sorry to sound so down and for writing war & peace!

I do have better days and admire the strength, determination and positivity of all of you ladies.

Have been doing a few exercises, in between typing,  to try and reduce the armpit/neck/shoulder discomfort which has caused to me to be up at this early hour in the first place and now also feeling better for having got all that off my chest.

Can you please also tell me how to pm you Joanne to join the fb group.

Thanks

Guest user
Not applicable

hi i did then i tried to add you im not sure what im doing wrong i will ask my daughter come have look ...xxxxx

Jolou71

Hiya mags welcome to the club no one wanted to join. If you are on Facebook and want to join out private group there, send me a private message and I'll sort you out.
Staystrong, did you get my last pm hun? I'm hZcing trouble finding you on fb xx
Guest user
Not applicable

welcome mags i start chemo 10th january then herceptin . the forum is great for information. not looking forward to chemo xx

Jaine

Welcome Mags...  Sorry you have to join us, I think most of us are trying to concentrate on Christmas and put thoughts about chemo aside till January,  unsuccessfully in my case, it keeps coming to mind.  I don't have a date yet, but have seen the oncologist and am expecting a letter shortly. 

Jane

Janet_BCC

Hi Mags1705,

Welcome to the forum.  It's very quiet at the moment but I'm sure other New Year Newbies will soon be along to welcome you as well. 

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Mags1705

Hi, could I please join your group I was diagnosed with BC on the 7/11/13 after finding a lump in my right breast myself. I had a lumpectomy on the 29/11/13 and I'm due to start chemo on the 16/01/14, I had a invasive ductal grade 3 tumour, lymph nodes were clear, radiotherapy to start after chemo and hormone therapy too. I'm a 49 year old mum and grandma, feeling nervous about chemo, however I find the top tips to help you through chemo interesting to read. Its nice to know we're not alone and have the support of each other. Lv M x

nickynew

Thanks for the messages of support, I will be on here more often and also the facebook group from now on. We are trying to get away for a week's holiday before I start treatment but cant find anything or its too expensive over new year. xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi to all newbies if it wasnt for the forums i would have gone mad this is a lonely time even though we have family and friends it feels we are more of a team as going through the same stuff. had masectomy in october start chemo in jan 10th sick to my stomach with the thought but trying remain positive im 59 cant believe this is happening also feel sorry for family im usually the strong upbeat person ..its hard ..hugs xx

Grannyjacks

Hi Nickynew. Welcome to the thread. The thought of Chemo is very scary but reading some of the posts from ladies that have already gone through their treatment is giving me some comfort as it doesn't seem as bad as I imagine. I too suffer a lot of anxiety which seems to come in waves. Things that I would normally take in my stride are being blown out of proportion. I feel sorry for my family just now as they're not used to seeing me like this or maybe they've always thought I was nuts.... I hope your anxiety passes and you can have a great time over the holidays. Great big hug. Jackie xxx
Grannyjacks

Hi Pie134. Welcome to the New Year Newbies. Good you have a date to star treatment so just have a great time over the holidays and take a step at a time. Great big hug. Jackie. xxx
Joanne1973

Hi Nicky, your story sounds so similar to me. Grade 3 idc, WLE and snb with further excision to clear margins, lymph node s clear and triple neg. (And I'm 40).  I know it's scary.  I'm a bit ahead of you, I'm having 3 cycles of EC and then 3 of docetaxel (no line....yet!)  I had my first dose on 13th Dec, a bit rough with nausea and vomiting that hadn't been well controlled by hospital, but 9 days later and I'm back to normal pretty much, still feel a bit tired but doing my normal everyday stuff and looking forward to Christmas

Believe me Nicky, you can do this. You'll have good and bad days but my advice to you and everyone is to take this one step at a time, don't think too far ahead, deal with your next step before you think beyond.  

Welcome to the newbies, am sure you'll be warmly welcomed, any questions don't hesitate 🙂

Sending you a warm hug

XxXX

nickynew

Hello everyone. Iam starting chemo 6 x TAC on 17th January and am absolutely terrified. Will also have a port fitted which means further surgery and GA.  I was grade 2 IDC after biopsy but now grade 3 after WLE & SNB in December. Had to have a further re-exision on 11 December. Have clear margins and nodes clear but am triple negative hence the strong chemo stuff. I feel like I receive further bad news each time I meet my consultant or oncologist. Im a young 52 and otherwise in good health but this has knocked me sideways and I cant stop feeling anxious. Would be good to join the January thread and keep in touch with others that are going through a similar challenge. Nicky x

Jolou71

Hi Pie and welcome aboard! Glad you have got a date. Now you need to have a fabulous Christmas before you take the plunge! X
Pie314

Hi all.

I just went and posted in the Jan 13 thread without realising. Doh! I thought there were a lot of posts for something probably quite new!

Anyway, I start neo-adjuvant chemo on the 8th. The wait for a date has been hell but glad I finally have one. Even if it's later than I'd hoped.
Grannyjacks

Thanks and glad that you've got your 3rd op over. Take care and have a great Christmas. Jackie. xx
minig

Glad to hear you're back home Jolou. Take it easy. Hello to all our new members too! xx
Jolou71

Send me a pm staystrong with your fb name and I'll check hun xx
Guest user
Not applicable

no t sure if i got added on facebook ..im hopeless wi computers lol

x hugs to all

Jolou71

Hi Joanne and welcome. We also gave a Facebook group which you're more than welcome to join. Send me a personal message and I'll sort it out. We're a lovely bunch if I do say so myself!
Grannyjack, you gave been added. Look forward to seeing you over there too! X
Joanne1973

Hi ladies, can I join please? Am really a December Angel but think I feel better over here if that's ok with everyone?

Basically, grade 3 IDC, two lumpectomies, lymph nodes clear.  Had my first dose of EC on Friday 13th (good job I'm not THAT superstitious!!).  Chemo was fine, but didn't have maximum antisickness meds so had one night in hospital to be rehydrated! But 6 days post and I'm back to normal just about. Just feel like I have a bit of an ongoing hangover. Next dose due 3rd Jan, so with everything crossed and keeping away from people and their nasty bugs, I should be ok for Christmas. I'm 40 with two young daughters 12 and 10 (imminently to turn 11!)

I'm sending all you ladies lots of love and warm wishes.  It is a scary journey we are all on but with a bit of love and support from the forum we can get each other through. So I send a big gentle hug to each and everyone of you.  Be kind to yourself, 

Joanne xxx

Spanishcarla

Glad you've got over round 3. Now enjoy Christmas! X
Jolou71

Morning lovelies! Home now and feeling much more human. Think the dregs of the anaesthetic have finally left my system. Hoping drain will come out today. God I hate those things! Have I added everyone who has asked to join to the fb group? If I've missed anyone send me a quick message and I'll add you xxxx
Jaine

Hi GrannyJacks.  The waiting is on  of the worse things.  There is just something about feeling quite well and knowing that you need treatment that is going to make you feel a little bit (or a lot) unwell that is quite unsettling. Sleep l am trying to cut down on the coffee, get some exercise everyday, doing breathing eexercises and not doing  too much.  Not easy around Christmas.

Grannyjacks

I know what you mean it's better thinking that you've no choice but to go through the treatments but if it stops this horrible disease coming back its worth it. I also start chemo on 10th January then Herceptin for a year 4weeks radiotherapy and 5 years of hormone treatment. Im quite worried about the chemo but reading posts from those that have gone through it, it sounds doable. And it's not such a stress when you know the treatment plan, but I'm having yet another night of not sleeping. Going now to search for some tips on dealing with this. Can't seem to switch this brain of mine off!!! Jackie. xx
Grannyjacks

Great news Mand... Good luck with your treatment in the new year. xxx
minig

To anyone new joining here, just to let you know we also have a private Facebook group. To join send a message to Jolou71 and she will add you to the group. x
minig

Great news Mand! You must be so relieved. Good luck with the radiotherapy. X
Guest user
Not applicable

good news mandi...just found out i start chemo 10th jan then radiotherapy then herceptin ..i said to the oncologist i wish i didnt need treatment and she said you dont its all preventative ..now im thinking i would rather it sounded a bit more like yes better you get it and get rid of the cancer ????

ashbymeadow

thats really good ..so pleased for you.It is also good to hear that sometimes we can be given good news.I do believe our confidence has been shattered and this helps us all to be restored.Hope that doesnt sound too corny .Whatever it is meant to reassure us all .Sleep well

Jacqui

Mand

Hi all you lovely ladies that sent me good wishes. I feel a bit bad coming on to give you the news but it was good news. I DON'T have to have chemotherapy - I am so relieved. It has been such a yoyo of emotions being told yes, no, yes! I just need 4-6 weeks of radiotherapy, tamoxifen for 10 years and reconstructive surgery in May/June. My thoughts are with you all and I will pop in to see how you are all going and dealing with your treatment. Love Mands xxx
Grannyjacks

Hi Mandi. Hope all goes well. I felt just like you a few weeks ago but you do feel better once you know one way or another what's happening. It's the uncertainty we're not good at dealing with but you will find the strength you need to deal with anything. Good luck and keep us posted. xxx
Jolou71

Hi mand hope all goes well this evening. Let us know how you get on xxx
Mand

I am sitting at the hospital now waiting to see the consultant and he is running behind with his appointments! Not helping me as I am nervous as hell !! Mands xxx
ashbymeadow

Do let us know Mandi how you got on with your resuts.Thinking of you.xJacqui
Mand

Thanks Minig, I'll let you know the outcome X
minig

Good luck this evening Mand. I was in the same situation last week & I actually feel better now for knowing, even though I do need to have chemo. Let us know how you get on. x