cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jan 2014 New Year Newbies?!!

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted

Re: Jan 2014 New Year Newbies?!!

Sorry crystalbella,but we are the New Year Newbies from last year.  We're mainly through active treatment, but I'm sure there's a 2015 January group you can join.  We formed a facebook group and it has been an excellent support - we even met up for a spa weekend at the end of the year.  Hope you get as much support as we found - you can get through it - we are proof 🙂 Good luck

Highlighted

Hi everyone, start my first chemo FEC-T 16th and spotted this thread. Have stage 3 grade 3, mastectomy dec 5th with lymph clearance.

Thought it would help to know there are people out there going through the chemo process the same time as me! X
Highlighted

Hi jolou71 thanks for replying, I'm on FB so that would be great if you can let me know the details so I can join, I have a few questions!! Will be good to meet you all and compare notes! Thank you xx
Highlighted

Hi linserellasnd welcome hun. It's quite quiet on here now as most of us are chatting on our own group on Facebook. If you're a fb user it would be lovely if you could join in. Let me know and I can sort you out. There are a couple if ladies in there having chemo before surgery so you should be able to compare notes xx
Highlighted

Hi I'm new to this forum but started my chemo on 7th Jan so think this is the right thread?! I'm on FEC-T for 6, 3 FEC down and start the Docetaxol next. Halfway scans show the tumour has grown slightly but I'm told this isn't uncommon. I'm having chemo first followed by surgery then radiotherapy. It's Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (ER+). It would be good to link up with others at a similar stage in the journey x
Highlighted

Hi Trina,

Are you taking the steroids at 6pm? When I have chemo I am having steroids 3 times per day for the first 2 days, then twice a day for the next day and then just once a day for the next day. I was advised not to take the steroids after about 2.30pm so that it doesn't affect my sleep too much. I also take ondansetron twice a day for first couple of days after chemo. What medication have they given you? Take care.

Katie
Highlighted

Hi Katie

No extra meds but I have the numbers to call if I need extra. Fingers crossed I won't need them. The nurse did say not to take the meds before bed  because of the sleep issue so I take them about 6pm. Hormones also playing up. Having some sweat problems (beginning of menapause?). Have appt to see gp re blood sugar later so will ask. No doubt he will say it's my age! (I'm 50).

Thanks

Trina xx

Highlighted

Hi tfitz,

It could be the steroids that are keeping you awake at night, the first few nights after each cycle I have trouble sleeping, constantly wake up and then I need the loo coz of all the water I'm drinking. Glad you are feeling ok, hopefully you should be ok without the meds, were you given any extra meds that you could just take if you needed them? Katie x
Highlighted

Well, finally had my first chemo on Tuesday. It was a very positive experience & the nursing staff were fab. \so far the anti sickness meds have done their job but my last doses are tomorrow so I have no idea what the weekend will bring.

The diabetes has mostly been under control apart from tonight when it went to 19 where it has mostly been 11 since the treatment. Will keep an eye on it. The worst part for me so far is all the peeing from having to drink so much fluid. Getting up in the middle of the night is fine but I just don't get back to sleep. Was awake 1-5am this morning. hubby made me a cuppa at 3am, bless him.

Going to make final choice on the wig Saturday morning. Posted pics on facebook of the first session and all comments were positive so I'm feeling confident that I shall pick the right one. Unfortunately my friend who came with me has gone down with a bad cold courtesy of a five year old so it will have to be the husband for second opinion. Oh dear!  I had the cold cap during my treatment & have nioxin treatments to use so I'm hoping the wig will just be for special occassions 🙂

night ladies

Trina xxx

Highlighted

THank you! Blood sugar pretty much under control at the mo but it will be monitored more frequently by the docs. With tablets I've got it from 20 to approx 7-9 (depending on time of day). Like you, if I'm sick, I shall eat what will stay down. Usually ready salted crisps! Trina xx
Highlighted

Thanks Katie. My chemo was delayd until next week. Consultant wants my hearts tested before we start. Bloody hospital couldn't organise a proverbial in a brewery! Will PM yu when I find out how too! Thanks Trina
Highlighted

Hiya tfitz,

I'm one of the amazing august maisies. I was browsing the forum and found your comment re being type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed the same a year before chemo and that on its own knocks your life for 6 without having bc and chemo at the same time! My gp was brilliant and supportive at all times and basically said we deal with priorities and right now the cancer and chemo are the priority, we will deal with the blood sugar properly after this. Some days I felt so bad that to eat anything was a challenge without worrying about whether it was good for my blood sugar or not so I ate more or less whatever I could face. However, diabetes is always in the back of your mind so it's not easy to throw caution to the wind, so I would say just be as sensible as you can but don't beat yourself up if you slip a bit, just focus on getting through chemo and get your gp in the loop, they should be very supportive as there is only so much one can cope with at a time. Hope this helps and your journey goes as well as it can through chemo and beyond, take care and hugs, will be thinking of you xx
Highlighted

Hi tfitz,

Sorry to hear that you have 2 major things to cope with at the same time.

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for almost 30 years now so am in a slightly different place than you but I will help you in any way that I can. With my first cycle of FEC I was pretty good and coped much better although believe me it is difficult to keep your blood sugar under control with the steroids that you need to take, I was very lucky and only had minimal side effects (luckily no nausea or vomiting which I was very relieved about). I had my 2nd cycle of FEC last wednesday and felt a bit nauseous for the first night but have been fine since then although my blood sugars have been much harder to control this time I have found (but this could be due to me being more complacent about them).

If you want to send me a personal message on the forum and I can answer any questions that you may not want to post in the group forum. I hope everything goes ok for you tomorrow and if I can help in any way that I can please let me know.

Take care.

Katie

Highlighted

Hi Katiecjm

I'm a Feb newbie. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic during the pre-op stuff, so not only is the breast cancer a pain, I now have the diabetes to manage too. I take tablets to control mine & have adjusted my diet (under duress).  How has the chemo affected your diabetes?  I start FEC-T on Tuesday so bricking it a bit!

Thanks xxx

Highlighted

Hi I'm 54 but don't use Facebook!
Highlighted

Hi had my first chemo on 29th jan, can I join face book group please
Highlighted

Hi, I have just had my first cycle of fec-t this morning. Would like to join you're group. X
Highlighted

Please can I join the FB Osage
I'm 59 with newly diagnosed lobukar Grade 2 bc. No secondaries found but having chemo FEC to shrink tumour. First cycle was it good bur second cycle yesterday is better. No nausea and vomiting yet

I'd live some practical advice and support. Kate. Chemocat x
Highlighted

Hi I was diagnose in Dec with Grade 2 lobular invasive cancer. I've just had my second FEC chemo and am ok. I would live to join the Jan newbies for support and advice at this overwhelming time. May thanks
Please can you send me the link. X
Highlighted

Hi gelly, I sent you a message on fb as it won't give me the option to add you as a friend, which I need to do to add you to the group. I'm hoping you can add me instead Joanna xxx
Highlighted

Would like to join the Facebook page, have sent my details
Highlighted

Thanks jan u to x

Dawn

Highlighted

Thanks. I go for echo on Monday at Wythenshawe hospital and then same day to The Christie for blood tests and to see Dr. Will be a busy day hopping across Manchester. Hope my satnav doesnt let me down.  Hope you go on ok. xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Tiz. Good luck to you too. 3rd Feb is my birthday! xxx

Highlighted

Hi Jan57

i start my furst chemo session on the 3rd of feb like you im feeling apprehensive good luck hope it all goes well for you

Dawn x

Highlighted

Yes we are the January Newbies.  Most of us have had one dose, and some are starting next week.  Most activity goes on Facebook, if you are on it.  The group is private so your other friends don't see posts on the group.  I have found it very helpful and supportive, it makes you realise that you don't have deal with things on your own. 

Jane

Highlighted

Hi Jan and welcome! You are definitely in the right place hun! I'm a day ahead of you in that I start Monday. Had my preassessment today and got to see the chemo unit which has helped calm the nerves a bit. Going to try to have a busy weekend to keep my mind off it. Sending love and positive thoughts to all newbies. Joanna xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jan57 and welcome to the BCC forums

You are on the right thread for starting chemo in January and I am sure your fellow users will be along with support, in addition, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you. Please feel free to call 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Here's a link to the BCC 'Treatments' section of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campa...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Hi, I'm also new to this forum. Not joined any forums before so not really sure what I'm doing yet. Start my first chemo on Tues 28th Jan and am feeling quite apprehensive. Hope that hearing of other peoples experiences and hints/tips might help. Is this the January chemo monthly thread?

Jan

xxx

Highlighted

hi jolou71

Ive just had confirmation on my 1st chemo session on the 3rd of feb but facebook site sounds interesting i am on facebook

Hope everything goes well for you

Dawn x

Highlighted

Have just sent you my facebook details

Highlighted

Hi Dawn and Gellybean. Welcome to the new year newbies. Can't help much with questions myself at the moment- my first is on Monday, but I've been picking up loads of advice from others like yourselves who have already been through first cycle. If you would like to join our secret Facebook group just send me a private message and I'll sort it. Some of us are still popping on here to chat with those bit on Facebook and leave our 'words of wisdom' for anyone else looking for others experience. Love Joanna xx
Highlighted

That sounds very positive thank you

Dawn x

Highlighted

Hi, will have 3rd session of FEC on monday. The nausea they will give you tablets to control that. Tiredness yes, 1st week is the worst, 2nd week is better, 3rd week is nearly back to normal. STill have early nights though. Just listen to your body and rest when you need to. My hair started falling out 12 days aftr 1st treatment and by day 19 i had the hair of a 95 year old woman so shaved the remnanat off. STill got eyebrows and eyelases at the moment! Metallic taste in the mouth for the first 10 days too. Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Hi all

Have only just located monthly feeds im starting FEC chemotherepy i have been told at the upmost i will have nausea, tiredness and deffinate hair loss just wondered how everyone else coped with being on this treatment

many thanks

Dawn

Highlighted

Hi, I am new to this forum. I started chemo on Dec12th and will be having 3rd FEC on Monday if bloods are okay. Have been neutropenia on first two cycles. Only just accepted that this is really happening to me and I am not just a bystander.
Highlighted

Thanks Pie314, I am finally starting to feel better!
Highlighted

Hi Becla and Liz. Welcome to the gang that no one wanted to join. We're a really friendly supportive bunch. We chat here and on our private Facebook group which you're welcome to join if you like. Just click on my name at the top of this post and send me a private message and I'll sort it out. Most have had their first dunking by now with a range of experiences and some of us (me!) are still waiting to step into the unknown. Look forward to chatting with you over the coming months. Love Joanna x
Highlighted

Hi if you private message Jolou71 she will add you to fb page xx

Highlighted

Dear Liz-4

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  I'm glad you have found it helpful so far.  I'm sure the other January members will soon be along to welcome you to this thread.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Welcome to Becla too (our posts crossed).

Highlighted

Hi. Had first FEC on 15 Jan and doing ok. Sick for first 12 hours and v tired but picked up enough to see Chicago Saturday evening! Feeling fine now 🙂 Heard people mention fb page, how do we join please?? Thanks xx
Highlighted

Hi just wondering if possible to join the Jan Newbies. Had first FEC on the 16 th . Not q as bad as imagined. Grade 3 BC her2+ so will be having Herceptin after FEC completed. Thanks for all the hints and tips received so far.
Highlighted

Ladies if you're experiencing sickness after FEC 1 speak to your oncologist about Emend, it's been a god send for many of us on this site.
Highlighted

It's the anti sickness they are going to change.  Have to see me just before my next cycle. 

Highlighted

Jane, what are they changing for your cycle? The anti nausea meds? I'm hoping they can give me Emend or something stronger before the sickness starts as I don't want to go through a night like that each and every cycle.
Highlighted

Hope you're still feeling better minig xx
Highlighted

Your experience sounded similar to mine.  The actual chemo was an anti-climax, only it did take 4 days to sort out the sickness.  I am feeling more human, and have an appetite now.  Just have to watch I don't eat too many silly things.  They are changing the regime for the next cycle.

Jane

Highlighted

Hi Scrappy, Sorry to hear you've been admitted. Hope you feel better soon. You asked how my first FEC went. The actual infusion was fine & felt ok for about 6 hours then I was very sick through the night but after an anti-nausea injection (as couldn't keep the meds down) I was fine & touch wood been fine from the following morning. Just finished my meds yesterday & feel good this morning. Hope it stays that way. Take care xx
Highlighted

great news x
Highlighted

Great news - I'm going home! Hope everyone else feels as good as I do. 🙂