Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jane RA

57 REPLIES 57
Highlighted

Re: Jane RA

Bless you JaneRA.

So very sad to read the news. We first met in Jan 2004 when I was diagnosed and joined the BCC Forums. These forums - Thank God for them, because you are right about what you said - they were a lifeline for us who utilised them and continue to use them.

Thoughts are with her partner and family just now.

*onepearlyb*

Highlighted

Jane was inspirational, thought-provoking, straight talking and informative.

I often read her posts, full of admiration for her no-nonsense approach. Her views were always worth reading.

For over five years, I had the honour of knowing her through this forum and another one.

It feels like there is a void. I will, like many, miss her posts.

Pollyanna

Highlighted

So sorry to hear about Jane. I have had many 'conversations' with Jane on here. She was so helpful when Lisa (my daughter) was fighting her battle and then again when she died suddenly in 2008.
I have really missed her posts. I am sure she would hate all the fuss but then she probably didn't realise how much we all loved her opinions, her comments and her knowledge.
My condolences to her partner
Sue

Highlighted

I first ran across JaneRA when we were on taxotere together nearly six years ago. Since then, many women I have met through the chatroom have died and I have mourned their passing because they were nice people and their deaths were undoubtedly devastating for their families and friends. What makes JaneRA's death different from all but a handful of these deaths is that it is not just a private loss but a public loss as well.

As others have said, she had the skill with language and campaigning spirit necessary to ask the hard questions. She was a fierce critic of woolly thinking, which I think is a good thing since cancer patients are very vulnerable to false hope. When a new wonder drug was touted, Jane was always at the ready to point out any serious problems or limitations to the benefits that the PR didn't mention. She was equally ready to question non-conventional treatments.

Jane was a firm believer in evidence. Although at first she was very hostile to any arguments that diet and exercise might make any difference to survival, gradually, in light of the evidence, she noted that it might make some difference, although she remained rightly hostile to any idea that such measures could cure cancer.

Of course, Jane also brought a great deal of attention to the lack of progress in tackling triple negative breast cancer. A fitting memorial to Jane would be a campaign to focus attention on this type of cancer, which, as Jane noted in her last letter, disproportionately affects younger women.

Highlighted

I will raise a glass to you Jane.

Rest in Peace.

My condolences to Jane's partner.

Love Debsxxx

Highlighted

I met Jane through the Breast Cancer Care Forums early in 2004. She had been diagnosed with Breast Cancer in October 2003, me in December 2003.

I knew from her postings that she was intelligent, forthright and had refreshingly different views about breast cancer, but I was a bit scared of dipping my toe in the water and engaging in discussions with her.

But I did, and it was enlightening, liberating and enjoyable. There were stimulating debates covering Pink October, dairy free diets, complementary therapies, positive thinking, the cancer charites, breast reconstruction, assisted dying, doctors, breast screening. Jane's views were always incisive, thoughtful and she had a gift of succinctly expressing the views that so many people shared, but perhaps could not communicate so effectively.

Some people strongly disagreed with some of Jane's views, but I believe most of them still liked and respected her. I think we all experienced a frisson of excitement when we saw a new post from Jane.

Jane was diagnosed late with the type of Breast Cancer which we now know as Triple Negative. She worked to raise awareness of this variant of the disease with breast cancer charities and she provided immense support and advice to other people diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer.

It was a great pleasure for me to have met Jane in person at Breast Cancer charity meetings and I enjoyed a visit to Jane's and her partner's home in 2008. We planned to meet again earlier this year, but sadly, it was not to be.

It has been a great privilege to know Jane and I will miss her. My thoughts are with her and her partner.

I spoke to R this evening on the phone and she has asked me to pass on her gratitude to you all for your love and support for Jane.

Highlighted

Oh dear...I was waiting on this and didn't realise it would hit me so hard. Jane and I were both diagnosed with triple neg 6yrs ago. Neither of us though we'd be here now. I am so sad and also so angry that I've sat on my butt for the past 6yrs and let life pass me by. I shall never forget Jane.
My thoughts are with her partner and family. Josie x

Highlighted

Another wonderful lady has left this world too soon.

Words fail me, I will miss her strong posts but feel she is out of pain now, something she was suffering for a few months.

Condolences to her partner and family

P x

Highlighted

I hadn't expected this so soon. I met Jane a few years ago in London at a BCC event, and she wasn't nearly so intimidating as she could be on the forum. There wasn't much that Jane didn't have a view on and it was usually a strongly held view, but i do know that when i saw her name on a post, I always read it, because it would always be interesting.

I hope Jane that you found some peace, and my love and best wishes go to your partner family and friends.

Highlighted

I 've been missing Jane's posts already. As Bahons said several pages ago 'I feel that breast cancer has lost a powerful and distinctive voice'. I was pretty scared by her on the forums at first - her frank and forthright style, and her ability to argue about ANY point!But when I met her i just loved her.She was much softer than i expected, and so funny and gutsy. She managed to challenge all those assumptions that we take for granted in living with cancer.
My sincere regards to her partner ( I can't imagine how you will face the prospect of going on without her- there must be a great big hole in your heart)and her family and friends.
I too hope that she has been proved wrong, and is now in a much better place and enjoying being pain-free.
Much love and thanks to you Jane
Jacquie xx

Highlighted

I too have followed Jane's postings always informative always honest she will indeed be missed.condolences to her family and friends. kittyx

Highlighted

I had missed Jane's posts lately, and was so very sad to hear the news. I learned so much from her about cancer and treatments in general, and about triple neg in particular. She was a great source of information, and her posts were thought provoking and challenging and heart-wrenchingly frank. My thoughts go to her partner and family. x

Highlighted

to jane's partner xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx more love and thoughts really i suppose, i feel at a loss but want to help so much but i know you'll be inundated xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

it's just so rubbish and so wrong,

i never met jane but feel i knew her very well from the discussions (jane - I nearly always sided with you, sometimes!)

i wanted to meet and talk with her loads as i too have the same regional reccurance that she had and i know that is what will kill me but it's never acknowledged as secondaries and i so desparately wanted to talk with jane about this .. but our timing was out ..

to jane's partner xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Just want to add my condolences to Janes family and friends. I have missed her posts and even though I often didn't share her point of view, her posts were always informative and interesting. At least now she is out of her pain.

Linda

Highlighted

Hi,

My Mum was re-diagnosed with what appeared at the time to be recurrence of triple negative (but then turned out to be borderline HER+). JaneRA was diagnosed at about the same time as Mum. She was an invaluable source of information at that time and I often used to search her out in the posts as I could always rely upon her research and knowledge.

My Mum passed away on the same day as JaneRA.

With love.

Psyche
xx

Highlighted

Hi

In memory of a fiesty, straight talking, well informed lady who had the courage to stick two fingers up at this disease and carry on regardless and help and inspire others. You were a true inspiration Jane and I loved your straight forward, no cr*p style, thank you, wherever you are.

Sending love and condolences to loved ones and friends who have shared Jane's life.

With love. Cathy x

Highlighted

I’m so sorry to hear that Jane has died. I didn’t expect it just yet but was very aware she’s not been commenting on the site.

I want to thank Jane for sharing her knowledge and encouraging us to think about issues pertaining to breast cancer. The way she challenged has been an inspiration - I’ve always admired her ability to coherently tell it like it is! Although none of us ever wished to be here, I feel privileged to have read Jane’s posts and on small occasions shared conversations with her during the past two years.

I already miss Jane and losing her is a tremendous loss to this site. However, I carry many of her words in my day to day life and am grateful that I shared this small bit of cyberspace with her. She’s made me question my own notions about bc and look at the issue completely differently to where I began.

My very best wishes to her partner, her friends and family.

And Jane, thank you!

Gill x

Highlighted

I was so sorry to hear of Jane's death. She reassured and scared me in equal measure. Such a force for life and for good. I shall miss her. I send my love to her partner and family, and my thanks for all her advice and her indomitable spirit.

Goodbye Jane and thank you

Dilys

Highlighted

Am very sorry to hear this news. Had been worrying how Jane was as she hadn't posted for a while. She was full of knowledge,strong opinions and honesty. She will certainly be missed on here whether you agreed with her opinions or not.
xx

Highlighted

I feel so very sad - my love goes to Jane's partner and family - I would like to say thank you to Jane for her helpfual and insightful posts which always helped me - and she gave me a lesson on a london meet on chemo options - which had us both in stiches - so sorry - so sad - jayne x

Highlighted

Jane was a huge part of these forums - always with intelligent and well thought out comments to make (even if I didn't always agree with them) She was a real force in questioning current cancer care and treatment, her passing is an enormous loss to us all. Thinking of her partner and all her friends at this difficult time.
caroline

Highlighted

My condolences to Jane's family and friends. She will be missed on the forums for her thorough and extensive research on the evidence regarding most issues to do with breast cancer. I also, like many others it would seem, enjoyed reading her opinions on different issues. Her frankness and sometimes very blunt style of writing would often stir up quite a heated debate and I, on a few occasions, would disagree with her. But like others have said, that is good thing. The world is full of "yes men" and people who will sit on the fence in case they cause offence and rock the boat. Jane did rock the boat on many occasions on here but it was no bad thing as I am sure it made many of us consider our views in more depth and even inspire some to be more proactive with their own treatment and challenge the status quo.

RIP Jane

Cathy

Highlighted

This is so sad - I have read Jane's postings and you could always rely on her for an honest, straightforward and well informed approach to issues raised.
What a legacy to leave - we are many of us better informed because of her postings, even tho' we never met her.
RIP Jane.

Highlighted

Rest in Peace Jane.

My condolences to her partner and family.

Thistle
xx

Highlighted

I never normally contribute to sad threads like this one as a rule ..... but janeRA you are an exception to my rule! I never met Jane but do you know what I don't think I will ever forget her either - telling it as it is - gone, but you won't be forgotten Jane. Love xxx

Highlighted

Such sad news, such an inspirational lady. My thoughts are with the family.

Highlighted

So very sorry to hear this and it is a shock even though expected. Jane you will be missed so much on here Eileen

Highlighted

So sorry to read that Jane has lost the battle. She was indeed a very inspiring person, her posts were well written, controversial but informative.

Condolences to Janes partner, friends and family.

Jane u will be missed on the forums with your knowledge and posts.

Love
Dawn
xx

Highlighted

......just so very, very sad to hear the news.

Highlighted

Jane is already sorely missed. Condolences to R and their friends, of whom Jane thought such a great deal. She was a rare person andl eaves a gap in our "cyber lives".

R.I.P.

Highlighted

What a loss to us all, she was wonderful inspirational and a fighter on behalf of all us with bc. My thoughts are with her family and partner.

So very sad. Anne

Highlighted

such sad news ,i remember jane when we with secondary cancer were on as we called it "the naughty table"at a bcc in london we had a laugh and im so sorry to hear that shes passed . bet shes sorting out heaven ! much love and prayers to her partner and family .xx

Highlighted

I am really sad to hear this. Jane was such an articulate, inspirational, courageous lady, and I'll never forget the time I posted up on BC Pals, a message saying how frightened I was when my mum had a scare, and Jane wrote such a beautiful, reassuring reply. She will be sadly missed by all who those who knew her, I just wish I could've got to know her a little better.

My thoughts are with her family and friends. Rest in peace, dear Jane x

Highlighted

I was so sorry to hear this about Jane.

She was the most thought provoking poster I have ever come across. Jane's comments on ANY topic were always worth hearing.

Her frank, and sometimes controversial, views were always compellingly put. I never met Jane, but I feel that breast cancer has lost a powerful and distinctive voice and the that the world at large is a duller place for her passing.

My thoughts are with her partner and all those who cared about her.

X

Highlighted

I am so sorry to read the news. When I was first diagnosed it was Jane who pointed me in the right direction for the info I was seeking and gave me sound advice. Her web site was an inspiration and like others I wondered why we had not heard for a time. She will be sorely missed. Condolences to her partner and family she was a one off and an inspriation.
Nonny

Highlighted

In spite of how Jane often wrote about facing her own mortality, it's a shock to learn that death has finally overtaken her. Her judicious complaints in the teeth of this terrible disease have defined these forums for me. I enjoyed her company the few times we met - once to view a photography exhibition of dying and dead people after which we had a cheerful lunch in the sunshine. I will remember her for her courage, honesty and rationality in circumstances which presented a constant challenge to these principles. My sincere condolences to her partner who must be devastated.

Highlighted

This is very hard news to accept.

I met Jane on several occasions, through BCC events. On the first occasion Jane, Dippy Kate, HeatherLou, LynnC (FitBrit) India1 and I went for a drink afterward - a normal group of women in a cozy pub doing a normal thing. Half of that group are now gone. I will always remember us there - just getting on with life. Noone would have guessed the awful circumstances each one of us had to live with. I know Jane would be the first to recognise the irony of the fact that she is gone whilst others of us are still here, living with secondary disease. Jane didn't fit into any of the normal categories and was very much alone with her disease. These forums really need characters like Jane, to campaign and to question.

My very sincere condolences to Jane's partner and friends.

Wherever you are now Jane, Rest in Peace. I will miss you.

Jenny xx

Highlighted

This is just awful. I wont say rest in peace jane because i know it rattled you.

A lot of things rattled you and you weren't afraid to tell us.

We miss you and your forthwright honesty. I personally hope that you are proved wrong and are in a better place, free of pain and happy.

Julie xxx

Highlighted

I'm so very sorry to hear about Jane's death -- my deepest condolences to her partner, and to her friends and other family members. May her dear soul rest in peace. Marilyn x

Highlighted

I miss Jane too, she was a very special woman. Sincere sympathy to her partner and family.

Love
Jane x

Highlighted

I'm so very sad and sorry to hear of Jane's death. The fact that her death was not unexpected doesn't make the shock any less.

My condolences to jane's partner and to her friends and family.

What a very, very sad loss.

Highlighted

I was wondering, as we hadn't heard from Jane in a while. Her posts were always intelligent and well thought out. I didn't always agree with her opinions, but I always respected them.

Another one gone to this disease.

My condolences to her partner and family.

xx

Highlighted

An inspiring woman.

A sad loss to humanity.

Condolences to her family.

Highlighted

I have missed Jane's articulate intelligent and thought provoking presence. My thoughts are with her partner and family. RIP
nicky

Highlighted

So sorry to hear this sad news, Jane was a wealth of knowledge which she shared with so many of us.

She will be greatly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go to her partner and family.

Janx

Highlighted

So sad to hear that Jane has gone. My thoughts are with her partner.

Rachy xx

Highlighted

So sorry to hear, I too had missed Janes posts, you could always rely on her for an honest opinion! Sincere condolances to her family. Di

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thank you for letting us know, I had feared the worst when Jane hadn't posted for so long. May she rest in peace. x

Highlighted

On behalf of all the moderation team here at BCC, our sincere condolences go out to Jane's partner and family at this sad time.

Jo, Facilitator