68474members
360285posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

1,050 REPLIES 1,050
Highlighted

Re: January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Hi everyone and a very happy new year

Wow, I've been back at work a year now, where has that time gone!  I'm doing well, still 'enjoying' the Tamoxifen' and waiting for a date to have my implant 're done' as it went really hard after the radiotherapy. Planning a family holiday to the US in August as yet another celebration - it's not hard to keep finding reasons to celebrate being alive I say, I certainly look at my priorities through a different lense these days.

Much love to all still rreading this

Katy x

Highlighted

Merry Christmas to all the January Gemstones 2015, I too am doing well Tweasel, I hope you other ladies who I shared so much with are doing well too x
Highlighted

Hi ladies. I don't know if any of you are still active on the forum, but I just wanted to wish anyone reading a very Happy Christmas. Hope you are all doing well xx

Highlighted

Hi! I dropped in on your thread early January just as I'd started the January 2016 starters thread.
Tomorrow I start round 4 - my first dose of the dreaded T!! It's so good to look at your posts and see you all one year later talking about hair and holidays. I'm starting to see the glimpse of light at the end of the chemo tunnel!
Wishing you all the very best and I hope you will all enjoy the taste of hot cross buns and Easter eggs this year!! Xxx
Kim xxx
Highlighted

Ha ha glad to hear you are embracing your new hair Katy and Sarah!

i have decided to keep mine short, so much easier to look after than the long thick hair I had before! It has been lovely how many positive comments I have had about it too!

it was really curly too at first but relaxing now, more wavy than curly. Silver linings! 😉

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, how lovely to hear from you all and with positive outlooks on our journey, well done everyone.  I'm back at work full time now, just taking the tamoxifen and grumbling a bit about the side effects, just keep reminding myself that it's keepine me safer.  I too have short grey curly hair rather than my dark blonde wavy style - to be honest I'm loving it, I found a lovely chap at Toni & Guy who was trained by Macmillan to work with ladies who had lost their hair, he made my first haircut a lovely experience and showed me how to love my new look.  I am so more laid back than I ever was, particularly at work - I don't 'sweat the small stuff' and when people get agitated about things I have a new perspective, silver linings eh.  So hope you all continue to get stronger, it's a long road to tread but I was and am immensley lucky to have you all there in 'virtual' land.  love and hugs Katy x

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, lovely to hear from you all and so pleased you are all doing so well! I have two more Herceptin to go so end of April for my finish date. I am back at work and doing my best to get on with life, only real symptom is tiredness still but I think that's the Herceptin still doing its work on me. Hair is grey and curly and short instead of brown, straight and long but I am learning to embrace it and I try to leave the house believing I am a female George Clooney though I most definitely am not!!!  What a journey ladies, bless you all for your stories, tips, support and strength. - I wish you all the brightest of futures x Sarah 🙂 

Highlighted

How lovely to hear from you both .Teasel and Pumpkin. Was feeling a little lonely.

Tweasel - thought I was the only one still having treatment. I finished mine 3 weeks ago - Perjeta x 18 and Herceptin x13. They decided to cut the Herceptin short because the results of biopsy after mx were so good. I too am waiting to have Hickman Line out although it is a struggle as it is now  4 weeks since last treatment  and one since saw the onc. I hate the line as it causes me a great deal of discomfort. Am desperate to go to the spa and on holiday so am trying to chivy them on.

So good to hear that you are both moving on. I don't work now so am just trying to get some energy back to catch up on all the jobs that have been overlooked over the last 15 months.

Really admire those who are getting back to work.

Agree that the difference in a year is amazing. Yesterday really cheered me up as it was so bright and sunny.

Hope everyone else is doing well, would be lovely to hear from some of you.  Marli xx

Highlighted

Hi tweasel and everyone,

glad to hear you are finally at the end of your BC journey.💕

funny I was just thinking myself yesterday how different everything is this March, compared to last year! I spent yesterday gardening, I got loads done, whereas last year depending upon where I was in my chemo cycle I wouldn't really have been up to much at all.

i do worry about it coming back elsewhere, especially when I get achy bones or a bit of a cough, but I try really hard to park those thoughts. And I am learning to live with the menopausal effects of tamoxifen, but hey ho was heading that way before BC! 

It may sound corny but it has made me not just take everything for granted and try and 'seize the day'!

looking forward to hearing from you all

lisa xx

Highlighted

Hello ladies - it's been a long time since there were any posts on our thread. I've just popped in to say that I had my last Herceptin on Thursday, so apart from having my port out in a few weeks that's me done!  I can't believe how quickly the last 14 months have gone - January 2015 seems so far away now.

I hope you are all doing well. It would be great to hear how everyone is getting on xx

Highlighted

Happy New Year everyone!

hope it's a healthy one!

good luck Kim, just remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.  If we can do it, you can.

lisa xxx

Highlighted

Happy New Year to you Kim and so sorry you find yourself on this journey but if you need any info, support or just a cyber hug then reach out to us January Gemstones, we have a lot of knowledge between us all now and will be here for you as we are for each other. Be strong, have faith!  Sarah 🙂 x

Highlighted

Happy New Year everyone . We are well and truely moving forward.

Kim - wishing yu all the luck on your comiung "journey". You can do it and keep smiling and positive.  Maril x

Highlighted

Happy New Year January Gemstones - you are my inspiration!
Kim (from January 2016 starters) xx
Highlighted

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wishing you love, happiness and above all - Good Health for 2016!

Love Sarah 🙂

Highlighted

Happy new year to all gemstones.We have all had a really bad year but we have got through it.The next year must be better.Hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Happy Christmas everyone! 

Thank you to you all for helping me through my BC journey.

let us all enjoy this Christmas, we are all in a much better place now!

have fun

lisa xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies. I can't believe it's almost the Gemstones first anniversary. I received my diagnosis on New Year's Eve and wondered how I would deal with everything that was to follow - when I look back now the past year has just flown by. It's just Herceptin for me now until March. 

I just wanted to thank you all for the fantastic support over the past year, and to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year xx

Highlighted

Well it is 1 year today since I started my chemo and still ongoing with Perjeta and Herceptin until February. Thought of myself as a Gemstone as started so late in december. Have been reading thread regularly and its

lovely to hear that everyone is getting back to work.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year.  Marli x

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Just came on here to wish you all a wonderful Christmas and the best ever year in 2016!

Love and hugs xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, I've just posted in the January 2016 starters - just wanted to offer all those ladies our support as they start their journey.  I had a routine mammogram yesterday on my right breast, it was almost a year to the day after my diagnosis and it brought everything flooding back making me stop and think just how far I have come.  I've been back at work for three weeks now, I'm enjoying it but realise that I am nowhere near as calm and relaxed as I was before, I really need to get a grip on this as I know that I could so easily become wound up by the pace of it all.  

We go on holiday to Lanzarote next Monday, we decided to see in the new year in style as last year's party was such a wash out.  I am very excited as have never been away fro winter sun before.

Thank you everyone for being there day and night for all of us, whenever I hear of someone being diagnosed the first thing I recommend is getting on the forum, so so powerful.

Wishing you all a very lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year, love Katy x

Highlighted

Hello January Gemstones,  it is over a year since I joined this forum and I would just like to thank each and every one of you for your support and also posting your own journeys to share with us including the good and the bad bits,  it has been hugely helpful and comforting to know I was not on my own during this awful year and to share, stories and tips and advice has been invaluable. I will say a prayer for all of you on Christmas Eve and hope that 2016 is the best of years for us all. I will still keep looking on here from time to time to here how you are all doing, no news is good news though!

MERRY CHRISTMAS !   And A  VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!    Sarah 🙂 x

Highlighted

I am glad that those of you a little way behind all us January gemstones are finding our posts helpful! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

i am having my first proper cut on Friday (have had a little tidy up already) and colour, going for the silver fox look as I have grown so much grey back in! This is for my works Christmas do which I missed last year due to this pesky BC. So really looking forward to it! There's a group of us going to a glitzy masquerade ball.

Glad to hear more of you are resuming your normal lives. I've been back at work for a few months now and feels as though I was never away now, really back in the swing of things. But in a good way. 

This Christmas is going to be so much better than last eh girls?

wishing you all the very best,

lisa

xx

Highlighted

I have been reading too and agree with Ele x makes me really happy to see you are all doing well and hopeful for the future .
Highlighted

Hi folks, I am a little way behind you all as just had my last chemo and have rads in Jan, but just surfing other threads and wanted to say what lovely positive posts from you all!

To read about returns to work (though I'm trying to avoid that as long as possible!), haircuts, getting your fitness back etc is just such a breath of fresh air and has really made me feel hopeful that those days aren't too far away for me.

Well done all for getting to where you are and hope you all have a great Christmas etc, and thanks so much for continuing to post as things improve! X
Highlighted

Hi katy, I had my hair cut at Toni & Guy and they were brilliant. Its really good as they work with Macmillan & so you dont have to explain everything to them about the chemo etc! I went in for a chat and booked in for a tidy up. Didnt need much as hair so short but she explained how I could do different styles. I was over the moon. Ive been back since & had it coloured. Have to say they were brilliant. So hope you find them the same. Have to say never thought id enjoy the normality of a hair cut so much!! Xxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone, I also went back to work this week Monday to Thursday and not full days but it has certainly worn me out but the plus side is so glad that I feel like a normal person again and have joined all the commuters once more standing on cold platforms waiting for trains! I have just had my 11th Herceptin and it has been miserable this time, lots of chest, neck and back pains and also this weird feeling in my chest like severe heartburn which I have never suffered with so assume this is what heartburn feels like! Some weeks I have sailed through Herceptin with the mildest of symptoms but this time it's been relentless. I have an oncologist three monthly appt on Monday so will chat to him. I hope you are all looking forward to Christmas this year and all that cooking and present opening, I know I am! Love and good health to all of you.  Sarah 🙂 x

Highlighted

Hi all, I went back to work this week, I'm working six hour days to start with as I ease myself back in.  I felt very welcome but quickly realised I'm not as fit as I'd like to be.  My biggest challenge to myself will be not to dive in too quickly, to enjoy this time that I'm not under too much pressure.

sandra having your haircut must have been so nice - I'm going next week. I found out the Toni and Guy salons have stylists trained to work with ladies who have lost their hair so hope it will go well.

hope everyone is looking forward to a great Christmas, lots of love Katy x

Highlighted

hi all had my first hair cut yesterday it got rid of all the baby fluff and made me feel good.Still getting weird feelings on the arm were I had mastectomy wonder if that stays forever ?Hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Fantastic news Sandra, enjoy the cruise you really deserve it xx

Lisa, it sounds like your mammogram was clear too - YAY!!! but it would have been nice of them to let you know there and then! 

Well done to everyone who is back at work and good luck to those who are about to start back xx

I have my annual check up with the breast care nurse in a couple of weeks and my three monthly oncology review just before Christmas, I'll have had 12 of my 18 herceptin by the end of the year (two thirds of the way!), looking forward to a fabulous and healthy 2016!!! 😉

And of course good luck for all those mammograms!!!

Highlighted

Wow fab news Sandra! You enjoy that cruise you deserve it.😊

I have to wait 3 weeks for the results  of my mammogram Katie, but feeling hopeful. The radiographer wouldn't let me go until the consultant had checked my mammogram to see if they wanted to do any more tests. They didn't so assume there is nothing they are particularly concerned about.

i have been back at work a while now and feel it has done me a world of good to be back. But have put my work in perspective, it really isn't the be all and end all now! Just a way to pay the bills!

Also enjoying getting back into exercise, really started to feel fitter again the last couple of weeks. Think my body really starting to recover now. Have lost a few pounds but going to make concerted effort after Christmas. Going to really enjoy Christmas this year! 

Glad you are benefitting from your course, not sure there is anything like that where I live. Agree with you that being able to share with others that have been through the same journey is probably most useful.

it is so good to hear how everyone is starting to reclaim their lives!

big hugs 

lisa

xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, long time no post, apologies.  I went to ground a bit while I gave myself some space to come to terms with all that has happened over the past eleven months now that treatment is finished (except for tamoxifen).  I also took myself off to the seaside for a couple of days of ‘me’ time; I walked on the beach and gave myself lots of time to put some things to bed and to make some plans – I felt really good afterwards. 

I’m part way through a course called Moving Forward run by Breast Cancer Care – it’s four morning sessions with other ladies who have recently finished treatment and we are covering topics such as diet, exercise, relationships, menopause symptoms, recurrence etc, and to be honest the most powerful thing is being in a room with ten other women who, just like you guys, absolutely get how I am feeling and thinking.  If this is your thing then I’d urge you to have a look and see if there is a course running near you.

Sandra I am so so made up for you, what a great milestone to reach and what a brilliant way to mark it!  You have been such a great support on this thread; hope you have the most wonderful time.  I am waiting for the date of my first mammogram and will be thinking of you when I get the wobbles!

Carman, great news about the scan result, another thing to perhaps stop worrying about.

Lisa, sorry if I’ve missed it, have you got the results of your mammogram yet?

I start a phased return to work on 30th November, how have others found going back?  I have a mix of happy anticipation and trepidation at being unsure how I will cope physically, mentally and perhaps most of all emotionally…  Sarah, have you started yet?

I've started increasing my exercise and must admit to feeling a lot brighter, I have however decided to save the dieting until after Christmas and our new year holiday away.

Love and massive hugs which don't have to be so gentle now, Katy xxx

Highlighted

Brilliant news Sandra, I am so pleased for you and well done that you are treating yourself with a cruise! Happy Days 🙂 Sarah x

Highlighted

Wow Sandra - that's great news. The cruise will be a real treat after what you've been through this year. 

Hope everyone is doing ok at the moment xx

Highlighted

Hi all had good news today my 1st mammogram was clear of BC.So we have booked a cruise for december it will be our first holiday since being diagnosised.Good luck to the rest due there first mammogram hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hooray Carmen!! 🙂 Sarah x

Highlighted

That's really good news Carmen, what a relief! Xx

Highlighted

Carmen good news about your scan I`m so happy that it turned out not to be a DVT.hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Thanks lovelies, had the scan today and No blood clots thankfully. Assuming its just muscular, but they said I did the right thing in getting it checked out and to go to go if it doesn't improve over the next few weeks. While I was in with the nurses I encouraged them to check their breasts!!! They were quite shocked that I'd had breast cancer at my young age and assumed I had family history...
Highlighted

Ladies, best of luck to you all for your mammograms and Carmen fingers crossed for your DVT results, let's hope it's not a blood clot, we all just need positive news now 🙂 Sarah x

Highlighted

Carmen sorry to hear about your suspected DVT keeping my fingers crossed that it is not.I think youv`e had enough without that as well.When is your mammagram due ? mine is 18th november.If everything is ok we are going on a cruise beginning of December which will be are first holiday abroad since finding the BC.So let us know how your scan goes will be thinking of you Hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi all,
Sandra, good to hear you have a plan in place for your surgeries, hope your big toes aren't too sore.
Sarah, what a drama of getting a back to work date! Good luck for next week x I'm just behind you with my herceptin, I have no. 10 on Wednesday.
Lisa, your afternoon tea treat sounds lovely. Good luck with the weight loss x

I'm also at my one year mark, yesterday was one year since I found my lump, so I celebrated in true medical style -I had to go to a&e as I have a suspected blood clot in my leg. So they gave me anticoagulant injections and have referred me for an appointment with the DVT clinic next week. Apart from that I'm doing ok.

Good luck for all your mammograms xx
Highlighted

Hi all,

funny you posting about it all being a year ago since your journey began, Sarah. I went out with some friends yesterday for afternoon tea at Betties in Harrogate. I wanted to celebrate with them that I had got through the last year. They have both supported me and it was a year since they took me shopping in York, before my surgery, for post op bras but also for new glam pyjamas and nice toiletries for my hospital stay. We had such a laugh that day despite everything that I was preparing for! So it was nice to treat them a year on. 

Now building up to first annual mammogram too, Sandra. Mine should have been next week but has been postponed until the 17th. I am actually quite calm about it at the moment but will stil be glad when all over and done and have results!

i hope you are all getting your energy back. I am slowly improving my fitness and have now started to make a concerted effort to lose weight - problem is I love my food so much! But hey ho if I can get through chemo I should be able to stick to a diet ha ha!

good luck to everyone else going through annual checks

please keep posting everyone, good to hear how everyone is reclaiming their lives and to know we are all still here for support with any minor setbacks

lisa

xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all well and doing brilliantly, it's just over a year since my original diagnosis and on the 2nd December it will be a year since my surgery, four more to go then I can say I'm in remission! I hope everyone has rejoined the real world or are getting towards that time, I finally go back to work next Thursday after three months of my employer going backwards and forwards with start dates, medicals and interviews, it has taken so long all my enthusiasm about going has up and left me now!! Sure it will be ok when the big day comes....... Have just had my 10th Herceptin injection and experiencing all the weird neck and chest aches and pains, also a bit down but I know these are all side effects so I need to get a grip and soldier on! How are you all ladies? I do look on here a few times a week to see if anyone has posted,I still consider this forum and the January Gemstones my go to place when I need a reality check, it is like a warm comforting blanket and reminds me that I am certainly not alone! I hope you are all doing really well and looking forward to a happier festive season this year!   much love, Sarah 🙂 x

Highlighted

Hi all just lost the last 2 big toe nails which makes my feet feel lighter.Saw the plastic surgeon and she will remove the fatty lump under my lt arm were I had my mastectomy in feb or march after I`ve got over my hip replacement.Due my first mammagram on 18th of this month which of course I`m worrying about.Good luck to all who are due this month,Hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Great news Karen... So pleased for you xx

Highlighted

Fab news, Karen. so pleased for you xxxx

Also good you are getting some positive plans Sandra xxx

Hugs

Lisa

xx

Highlighted

very good news Karen so pleased for you Hugs Sandra
Highlighted

That's excellent news, really pleased for you. X

Highlighted

Hi all,
Had my mammogram today and as I was having an ultra sound on my surgery side to check the seroma, they reviewed the mammogram straight away... So happy to say that there were no nasty gremlins hiding in there, it's such a relief to be told it was clear and hoping that next year's isn't as emotionally stressful! Sending happy thoughts and wishing you all the same positive outcome xx

Hugs, Karen xx