73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

crystalbella

Re: January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Hi ladies,
Su yes i did am ok thanks but have had a rough time. Had anti sickness but at 4pm it hit me! Ended up calling the help line after 8pm as couldnt keep tablets down and heart was pounding.
Still not able to eat much but managed a bit of fruit. Real shock to our systems I think.
Got to keep strong girls, one day at a time.
Hugs to u all x x x x
san1952

hi su day 3 today and it`s been the worse day still nauseous and my mouth very sore.I`m drinking loads of water taking maxalon and using prescribed mouth wash hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow one day at a time hugs Sandra

MrMunch1

Hi Sanrda (san1952)

How are you getting on after your recent dose?

Love Su

XX

MrMunch1

HI Crystalbella, 

Didin't you start yesterday?  How did you get on?  Are you ok?

Love Su

XX

MrMunch1

Hi Lou,

You sound similar to me, I feel I got of lucky compared to Sarah amd Emma.  I found it impossible to keep my eyes open yesterday afternoon and this afternoon, dog's didn't look to happy when I woke up and it was 30 minutes after 'walk o clock' - don't worry, I made it up to the little monkeys!

I did get quite bad heart burn this morning, I feel trembly, but nothing specific, shaking hands, trembly shoulders, but temp is fine.

I put some of mine down the the sedation on Thursday along with chemo yesterday Lou, so I'm sure your Wednesday general anasthetic would be having an impact.

Don't think I'm imagining it, but axillary clearance scar and whole area feels very sore, I rang the Breast Cancer Care helpline and they said that sometimes the E in FEC can flare up scar tissue - great!

Did my first jelly belly injection today, I did it!  It smarted for a bit, but I can defo do it again and again and again!

Long may your minimal SE's continue Lou.

Su

XX

MrMunch1

Hi Sarah and Emma,

So sorry to hear about how sick you have both been.  Woman Sad   Have you both taken advice and looking at alternative meds now?

I feel very lucky to have got away lightly, I feel nauseaus, but no vomiting , I did start on all of the sickness meds though, even though they told me only to take them all if I was feeling sick.  

I'm find smells yucky, so have changed some of my products.  I am so very incredibly tired, so much for the insomnia.

Sorry you two, I hope you both feel a lot more human soon.

Big long soothing hugs

Su

XX

MrMunch1

Hi Kessel,

I wasn't sure if your post was directed at me, but here goes . . . . Don't worry about the PICC line at all, the only reason it went wrong for me is because I have tiny veins, when the lovely nurse checked my viens with the ultrasound, she warned me that they looked very narrow, but we tried anway, the tube failed to go in to one vein at all, and then the second attempt (different vein) went in about 10 cm but refused to budge.

When i was waiting to go in, I watched the woman who had hers done before me, and she came out smiling with her husband, not holding her arm funny or anything.

Kes, you will be fine, most people are fine with it, just not people like me with freaky veins!

The makeup, I decided to go for it in November, as soon as I realised that Chemo was on the cards because of my age, then my decision was reaffirmed when I got my sentinel lymph node biosy results (positive). I had my eyebrows and upper and lower eyelashes done.  I am very glad I had them done, In hindsight the eyeliner treatment is not for the faint hearted, not painful, but watching someone come at your eyeball with a needle is pretty daunting (even after BC diagnosis!). The eyebrow tatooing was so not painful I honestly fell asleep for some of it.  The lady that did mine was such a perfectioninst she used all sort of weird tools and stuff to draw on my face for an hour before she started tatooing - they look great, she was great.  I know that it is not for everybody and it was expensive, but I think of it as 'retaining an element of controll', some ladies cold cap so they can keep their hair, I chose semi permanent makeup to help me look what I think of as 'more me'.

The only thing is Kes, because I planned ahead, and had my two sessions long before chemo began, I didn't need Oncologist letter to confirm that it was ok to have the tatooing done, the minute you start treatment and you disclose your situation to the therapist they want a letter, I have heard of oncologist refusing a letter on the grounds of infection.

Nice to chat to you Kes, shame the circumstances are not better, but we all all together here.

Anything else, just ask, let me know how the PICC goes.

Big hugs

Su

XX

Emu11

Thanks sue xxx
Emu11

Hi Sarah, best ring them to be on the safe side, I was told if my temp went above 38 I must ring.... Hope you are better soon, big hugs,
Emma xxxx
Codiesue

Shenner and Emu, I feel for you that is just how I was first time please ask for Amend next time it helped loads. You need to take it one hour before chemo and then you get 2 to take home for next 2 days, still had nausea but did not vomit every hour like I had done. You have done well to eat a weetabix I didn't eat or drink fro 3 days so hopefully yours has passed. Stay strong Sue xx 

Shennar

Hi Kes, the picc line is done through a local anaesthetic so don't worry, you cannot feel anything, it takes a bit of getting used to seeing it in your arm but they do cover it up with waterproof plasters and ask for a bandage stocking to put over it if they don't give you one, I don't have to look at mine at all now! Arm will be a bit achy for a couple of days but carry on doing everything as normal, I do including washing hair and having a bath. Best of luck, it sounds scarier than it is! Sarah x
Shennar

Hi Emma, same thing for me! I posted my last posting a bit too early, I started being sick at 4pm and stopped at 9am this morning, all night long, I too thought of phoning the hospital as could not keep the anti sickness drugs down but decided against, now wished I had! Have kept some tablets down since 9am now but feel dreadful, temperature is 38.6 so keeping an eye on it, all I want to do is sleep too be honest
Emu11

Hello ladies, what a day and night!!... Spoke too soon yesterday I think, started to have bad nausea at 2 pm ish then I took more meds to get on top of it, then I started vomiting at 6 pm to the point I couldn't keep water down and brought my next set of meds straight back up....... Phoned help line and ended up in hospital last night... I had injections to stop the vomiting and that worked almost straight away, had bloods taken and they came back normal, the dr seems to think I was sick due to not keeping on top of my meds bit I disagree.... I have a phobia about vomiting and took all the meds as instructed.... They said they will review my meds before next chemo cycle. Have eaten a weetabix this morning and kept it down so fingers crossed that's it.... Apart from that I'm still smiling xxxxxxx
san1952

well done Emma first one done only 5 more to go.Now we now what happens it won`t be scary next time.hope you have a good sleep tonight and remember to take one day at a time hugs Sandra

kessel

Hi have just started reading Jan Gemstones & your post caught my eye - sorry to hear your situation x - firstly the eyebrow make up and the pic line - I am having one fitted next Wednesday following my pre chemo assessment - any advice as I'm worried about the line - is it done using anestetic? Any questions to ask chemo nurse ? Tell me about the eyebrows? Hugs - Kes xx
womblemum

Hi Sarah, feeling surprisingly well...nausea and sickness has been kept at bay by the tablets and the only thing has been indegestion! I was tired this afternoon but a couple if hours snoozing on the sofa and I felt much better. I have been a bit light headed but that could be a mixture of chemo yesterday on top of a general on wed afternoon. Really hope things continue like this.

Hope everyone who had treatment this week is doing well.

Love Lou xx

Codiesue

Well done Emma, hope ypu continue to feel okay. Sue xx

chascat

Hi ladies, just wanted to chip in in response to Peta's post. I have been on Tamoxifen for nearly 3 years following chemo and radio, I checked with 2 different oncologists and several pharmacists (including the hospital pharmacist) regarding interactions between Tamoxifen and grapefruit and all were quite clear that there were none. I was told any interactions legally have to be included with the instruction leaflet and the pharmacist should also make you aware, I dont know about during chemo, I was never told it was a banned food by my onc and I did ask, suggest you ask your medical team if you're unsure. Hope you're all coping well with treatment, it will be over before you know it. Take care CC x

Emu11

Hi everyone, First FEC done... Not as bad as I thought.... Lots of syringes, 8 in total so that was a bit scary..... Felt only light headed during the session and slight nausea on the way home.... Still feel light headed and nausea has kicked in so have taken some additional anti sickness tablets. Hopefully that will keep the nausea at bay.... All in all I am feeling better than I thought I would.... Big hugs and well done to all who started treatment .. Emma xxxxx
Emu11

Yay well done xxxx
Codiesue

Well done Shennar hope it continues to be good for you xx

Shennar

Hi Lou, how are you feeling on day two now, have you noticed any changes at all? I hope the treatment will be kind to you! Sarah x
Shennar

Hello Emma, first one is done, I feel fine, got home and then walked my dog for two miles! Only thing I can note right now is my wee is pink! Nurse in tomorrow to give me an injection, lots of anti sickness tablets I have been sent home with, round two is on 7th February. Felt really down about my thyroid biopsy but feel uplifted again because I have something inside me now killing the dreaded C word. Onwards!!!!! Sarah x
crystalbella

Good luck to all the ladies for tomorrow - we can do this!
Su - sounds like today went well 😊 great to hear
XXX
Emu11

Thanks Peta xx
Emu11

Thank you sue xx
Emu11

Well done Lou on your first FEC.... Glad it went ok xxxx
Emu11

Good luck Su xxx
Emu11

Good luck shennar, look forward to hearing from you tomoro xxxx good luck with your biopsy and good luck to everyone who starts tomoro xxx
marli

Yes it is the Paxman machine. Yesterday was the first one was the more modern one, yesterdays is older. It obviously works better than the replaceable one. Got lots of advice regarding care etc and found some brush on powder if you develop bald patches so hoping to hold out. Have got my wig from last time for emergencies although I can get a new one. Hope you have the same success. x

Codiesue

Good luck all of you starting chemo tomorrow and i hope you are all lucky with minimal side effects. Sue xx

MrMunch1

Hi lovlies!

Marli, I had local and sedation - it's ok, not awful at all.  It is quite sore now though, but I think it is because I have a cold and am coughing and sneezing a lot - OUCH!   I 'm glad you are doing well without one, long may it continue.  XX

Lou - you must be so releived, well done.

Peta, thank you for popping in and giving us such useful information.

Good luck to those of us starting tomorrow.

XX

Peta

I'm from the October thread, I've had 3 x FEC and 2x doxetaxel (also called T) and have my final T on Tuesday!

Firstly love, good luck and best wishes to everyone starting out!

I was okay the day I had chemo - the side-effects kick in after 2-4 days for most people so you may get a sneaky bonus weekend in if you are in today or tomorrow.

The drinks question. A cup of tea is fine - normal PG tips, builders, earl grey and seem to go down well. Coffee is fine too, instant, ground and all those.

Grapefruit - the fruit or the juice and even the squash is apparently very bad for you, it makes side-effects worse, so don't eat or drink that. Apparently grapefruit is banned on Tamoxifen too so it's going to be a very long time until I eat another one for breakfast.

I really liked the frozen pineapple. I also ate frozen melon and frozen raspberries - the cold and the tang are very refreshing on the mouth.

Good luck and best wishes - Peta
womblemum

Thanks Marli, well done you on trying the cold cap when it didn't work for you 5 years ago ( and so sorry to hear you are going through it again). Are you using the Paxman machine (or similar) this time? Hope you are feeling as well as possible after yesterday. Take care Lou x
marli

Well done Womblemum. Hope you keep well, everyone reacts differently to the Wonder drugs.

I have used the cold cap twice now (2nd yesterday). Hair fairly intact shedding individually not clumps. I( too was surprised I tolerated it well.

Had chemo 5 years ago using the cap that had to be replaced from the freezer and it did not work and by this stage had lost all of my hair so am quite hopeful this time. Take care . Marli x

womblemum

Also meant to add, I tolerated the cold cap this time and managed the full 4 hours.. Hopefully I can keep going with it and it does some good, but I've tried anyway xx
womblemum

Hi lovelies

Well only 5 more to go...had my first FEC today and it went really well. I had Emend before we started and the mixture of wonderdrugs (as I have now decided this is what chemo is!) All in all about a litre a fluids went in...and yes I have got pink wee!!!

I have been left a mixture of anti sickness tablets and steroids for the next few days so all I can do now is wait and see.

The portacath is great, it was very sore yesterday, but the surgeon left the needle ready for today so that probably made it feel worse than it really was. Although the op took a lot longer than I expected (2 hours) and I was quite groggy this time.

Anyway onwards and upwards.... good luck to all of you who are starting chemo tomorrow - stay positive 

Much love and hugs 

Lou xx

marli

Hi Su - glad your line insertion went well. Did you have a general anesthetic or local and sedation?

Think I am going to try to delay my Hickman, on advice of chemo sister. We got in ok yesterday so will try again next time. She is  not sure if we can do it through to the end but will wait and see. She says I will prob be having Herceptin by injection although I want to discuss that with oncologist as do not know a lot about this method.   Marli x

MrMunch1

Hi ladies,

Hope you are all well.  Good luck to all who start tomorrow, I'm sure we will be comparing notes after our first doses.

I had my Groshong Line fitted today, it took ages!  Staff were lovely, aside from my hair being matted with blood and a bit sore, I feel ok.

Onwards, upwards and forwards!

Su

XX

marli

Emma - will be thinking of you tomorrow. Remember my first on 5 years ago , came home and sat waiting for something to happen and nothing did. We each have different reactions so please try to make use of the good times and if the worst happens deal with it then. I had EC and was never sick, even halved anti-sickness because it caused awful constipation with knock on effects. Chewed crystallised ginger on the very odd occasion when felt nauseous. Know you will be sick of hearing this, but trying to stay positive really does help. 

Shennar  - hope your biopsy results turn out well. Sure tomorrow will go well.

Thinking of you all. x

Shennar

Good luck to all who are starting first chemo tomorrow, me included. Look forward to sharing experiences, thoughts and feelings. A big hug to you all x ps. Another biopsy for me next week as I may have it in my thyroid too now, fingers crossed it comes back ok 😞
Emu11

Hi Marli, my first FEC is tomoro so I'm feeling slightly nervous.... Will let you know how my SE's are tomoro...
Big hugs,
Emma xx
marli

Thanks Emma - fish and chips by the sea sounds so yummy. I live in the North East and only about 20 miles max.from the coast but weather been a bit cool and SE's meant need to be near a loo!

How are you feeling, when is next treatment? Marli x

Emu11

Hi Marli, we had a short break in Matlock bath... Would recommend it as it's beautiful..... In spring time it's great for long walks....I also love Devon and Cornwall, can't beat fish and chips by the sea and clotted cream tea....... Heres to finishing treatment and booking a short break ...
Big hugs
Emma xxxx.
marli

Just been trying to arrange early appointments for next 2 sessions which takes me to the 4th session. Suddenly seems so do-able.Hope to havea  short break in between so something to look forward to. All holiday plans for 2015 have had to be put on hold so short breaks in UK are the way I think.

Hope everyone is feeling well. xx

MrMunch1

Hi all you amazing ladies.

Sorry your 8 hour marathon session Marli - means to an end I guess. Love the gold star idea - so gonna do that!

XX

marli

Every time I have a session I stick a Gold Star on my calendar.

Try to surround myself with things that make me smile - latest is a mug with a photo of my Pliates Friends "Girls on Tour " in Edinburgh received  for my birthday.

Got to stay upbeat and positive. lol x

Emu11

Hi Marli, 8 hours, wow, you are amazing, keep smiling .... Thank you for the info on the green tea.... Before we know it we will be at the end of our journey 🙂 will let you know how Friday goes.
Big hugs,
Emma xxx
marli

Hi Emma so glad that today went well and your are feeling so positive. Yes , the wards are much more cheerful  than you expect.

Had I second session today (8 hours, quite a marathon but went well). Asked the oncologist about green tea and her reply made more sense - it is to do with free radicals which are supposed to help wipe out cancer making cells! She is also happy for me to take my hair, skin and nails supplements based on the same criteria. She is quite young and seems very up to date.

Chemo nurse is happy for me to keep trying to use veins and delay Hickman line if possible. also said Herceptin can be given by injection, but need to discuss that with oncologist.

All in all a productive day. xx

Emu11

Good luck Su xxxx