69236members
363525posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Re: January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Hi all ,Sarah so pleased that you had good news enjoy your time off before yoy go back to work.Tweasel your rads will be fine the worst thing is the tiredness but that will pass.Went to see cardiologist and she said the fast heart rate had been caused by low HB and the chemo she gave me a tip to help me if it starts again and that was to take one beta blocker and that might stop me going into A and E .I`ve just got a new breast prosthesis which is lighter than than my other one and I can wear it all day without any soreness .Going to pampering afternoon on wed which I`m looking forward to I`ll let you all know how it goes.Hugs Sandra

Sarah - that's fantastic news. You must be so relieved 🙂 Are you going back to work full time, or on a phased return? I'm starting rads on Wednesday so just need to get that out of the way, then it's just Herceptin until next March. The stiffness and aching are a bit of a pain but as you say, it's not for ever. Enjoy the rest of your time off before going back to work xx

Good Morning Ladies! Both the results on my neck ultrasound and arm biopsy came back as fine! hooray! I have to have the neck nodule scanned every three months for changes but apart from that I am good! What a relief, it has been the worst week waiting for the news I only got yesterday afternoon but I am beyond happy and am going to go back to work now on the 18th and embrace life, I feel this is my second chance to live it and it feels very good indeed! Bless you all for your kind messages, I hope everyone is doing well also? The Herceptin makes me achy and like an old woman but I can definitely cope with that,as it is not for ever! Have a great weekend all of you and if any of you are going through a bad patch then just send a message out on here and we will all support you through it and give you strength, Thankyou all of you for doing it for me! Sarah 🙂 x

Hi all hope things are improving for you all.Katy I had a left mastectomy and 15 lymph nodes removed last nov.and I was just pleased to get the BC removed it was such a relief when the consultant came in after the operation and told me he had removed it all and the cancer was gone.Hope you feel the same afterwards.Sarah good luck for Tuesday hope all goes well and you get good news will be thinking of you.Lisa thanks for the advice about my chemo arm I`m applying aqueous cream twice a day and massaging it well to see if that helps.I`m going to see cardiologist this Wednesday so hoping he can help me to prevent anymore trips to A and E with the fast heart rate.Hugs to all Sandra

Hi ladies good to hear from you this week.  I'm just back from our family week in the Algarve, such a lovely time albeit very hot at 38 degrees most days.  One good thing was that I didn't have any hot flushes - chatting to my reflexologist about it yesterday she thinks this might have been because I was soooo chilled out and relaxed.   

Great to hear that some of you are returning to work soon, although appreciate that you may not be so keen.  I spent today at work interviewing for a new team member - I was really pleased to note that I managed to stay alert for the whole day, an improvement on when I last went in two weeks ago.

My mastectomy and recon is on the 11th August - I wish it would hurry up and come.  I must confess to keep looking at my boob and reminding myself that it won't be there in two weeks time - not sure that this is at all helpful but that's where my mind seems to be dwelling.  People keep saying won't it be good that all the cancer is gone but they seem to miss that it's a part of me that's going too - does this resonate with any of you?  

Good luck for your busy week next week Sarah - I'm not on herceptin so can't comment I'm afraid.  Hope the scan results are good.  

Get you Lisa - zip wiring and kayaking indeed, excellent - I'm off to Thorpe Park (theme park) with my 13 year old son next week for a wild day out, thought I'd better fit it in before the op.  

Love to all and hope you have a good weekend.  Katy x

Wow Lisa, your holiday sounds amazing, so glad you had a good time and made the most of the trip. Hot flushes are a pain though aren't they?! Good luck for your back to work next week x

Hi Sarah, good luck for all your hospital appointments next week, hope everything is ok. I have my herceptin next week too (Wednesday), no. 6... a third of the way! No idea why your nurse has to stay for two hours afterwards, mine just does it and goes, she's here about half an hour in total. Last time she did it really slowly because the time before it was administered fast and I was limping with the pain the next day, but this time I had no pain at all.
Good luck for your return to work, it's a big step but a good one to be returning to normal!

I took my boys to the pool today and I actually did lots of swimming, probably about 45 mins in total, and compared to when I went at end of June it was so much better, less pain across my chest and more mobility in my shoulder, it's good to notice the changes in recovery. In June I could I only do a few mins before it was too uncomfortable. I'm shattered now though, think it used my entire energy quota for the day!

Take care all xx

Good Morning Ladies, Lisa it is amazing that you have been to Canada and reclaimed your life back! So pleased you had a wonderful time and were able to do lots of sporty things 🙂  Carmen I admire your weight loss, I had a few good weeks and then it went downhill because my daughter made some strawberry jam with big chunky strawberries in it and I fell apart! What a lame excuse though as I should not be eating sugar anyway but it certainly tasted good on crusty bread!!  Sandra, are your veins any better now? It is not something I have experienced so sadly I have no,wisdom to share with you 😞  I am having my Herceptin injections at home but the nurse has to sit with me for two hours each time afterwards, does anyone else have to do this? Apparently it's all to do with their insurance but seems a mighty waste of time to me! My itinery for next week is Monday- meeting with my oncologist, routine only. Tuesday - ultra sound and Biopsy on right arm. Wednesday - ultra sound on left side of neck! Yep the last one is a new one! I had what they call a 'hot spot' show up on my neck during chemo and they want to keep an eye on it. A hot spot shows up as something concerning but then turns out to be something unconcerning if that makes any sense, they now monitor it for change of shape and size. Thursday is the day my Grandaughter comes to stay - hooray! And Friday is Herceptin day so all in all I have a full on week, I am also selling my house, viewing others and planning my return to work in three weeks. - it's business as usual here! Have a great weekend all!! Sarah 🙂 x

hi all,

well sarah, not too long now. Hope you are staying positive. Xx

Sandra, my veins have still been quite hard and tight with depressions under my skin where they are. I gave just been rubbing them a lot as that seems to ease the tightness and keep twisting my wrist, which also seems to help. They are slowly improving so I'm hoping time will sort them out.

well done Carmen! Wish I could say the same. On my hols at the moment so simply adding to my weight but going to make a real effort once I get home. Haven't weighed myself in ages so no idea how much weight I've put on, but gone up a good dress size so think it's at least a stone. Glad you have a date sorted for your implant, a brief step backwards but will be worth it in the end. Xx

but don't care as I have had an amazing time in Canada. Been zip lining and kayaking, ha ha didn't think I'd be doing a few months ago! Have tended to get tired much quicker than normal and the hot sweats have been a real pain as it has been quite hot here, but it has been great having some real family time after this year!

but hey ho back to work on Tuesday 😞

lisa

xx

Hi all,
It's gone quiet on here again!

Meeting with my surgeon went well and I'm provisionally booked in for my replacement implant on 1st October. She said it's a 1.5 hour op and they'll be keeping me in overnight. I'm nervous but excited at the same time, as I know it needs doing and will improve the look/feel but not looking forward to the recovery, which she says will be very similar to first op.

That's great news Carmen! Well done you xx

Ooh and I've lost my chemo belly!!! I've been following (ish) the slimming world plan for the past 7 weeks and am back to my pre diagnosis weight... yay! 🙂

Hi everyone,
Not been on this site for a while but it's good to see you all still posting.

Sarah, hope everything is ok at your ultrasound next month, I'm sure it seems a very long time to wait. My husband had ulcerative colitis and its not much fun so thinking of you xx

Sandra, sorry to hear you're still suffering with your mouth and veins, and hope that the cardiologist can help you too.

I'm doing ok, the tamoxifen makes my joints ache, especially my right hip and knee, and makes me move around like a proper old woman at times! The herceptin is going ok, the nurse comes out to the house to give the injection which makes it simple for me. School holidays are wearing me out! Post chemo fatigue and two boisterous boys don't mix well!!! My hair is slowly returning, have noticed it getting thicker over the past two weeks, I have half eyebrows and a few lashes. And on Monday I go to speak to the consultant about the surgery to replace my expander implant with a silicone one, which she reassures me is a simple op but still feeling very nervous about it and the impact on my boys as we are just starting to get back to some kind of normal.

Take care all xx

Sandra - my onc nurse gave me some cream for my veins. Cant find it at the mo so not sure what its called! Will have a look and let you know if I find it but there is cream available x

Thank you for this extra information Lucy, really appreciate it! Sarah 🙂

Hi Shennar
I am posting this information from our clinical team here at BCC about the bisphosphonates so thanks for bringing this important news up:

Commenting on a major breast cancer study into bisphosphonates, led by researchers at Oxford and the University of Sheffield, Samia al Qadhi, Chief Exectuive at Breast Cancer Care, adds:

“This study on bisphosphonates is good news for women with breast cancer. Treatments such as aromatase inhibitors can cause bones to become frail and sometimes fracture. Bisphosphonates can strengthen the bones, which will help women tolerate and complete aromatase inhibitor treatments.

“A key finding from this study is that bisphosphonates can also lower the risk of the breast cancer spreading to the bones - the most common area breast cancer spreads to - as well as reducing the risk of dying from breast cancer in post-menopausal women. We know how terrified people are that their cancer will spread so any drug that can lower this risk is very welcome.

“Bisphosphonates do have side effects as well. They can cause low levels of calcium in the blood and flu like symptoms. They can also irritate the gullet and on rare occasions damage the jaw bone.”

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Sorry Sandra, I meant no ideas! X

Good Morning Ladies, the date for my ultra sound and biopsy is the 4th August which seems such a long way away when it is such a huge deal but sure it will come round soon, just need to keep busy, busy! Has anyone read the article in the Independant newspaper today about Bisphosphonates controlling breast cancer and only costing 5p a tablet but not on the governments list of drugs to give us? Why is it that if the government won't find such a small amount that we cannot do it ourselves? I feel so frustrated reading this and need to see if there is any way we can buy them direct from the manufacturers, I certainly would for one, the other thing I read recently was that the Pill can also help slow down bad BC cells from growing, has anyone else heard this? I hope you are all well ladies and getting on with life, Sandra sorry but I have ideas to help you with your hard veins, it sounds miserable but hold on to the fact you have been told it will go eventually if you can, luckily it is not forever. Take care Ladies, Sarah 🙂 x

Hi all I went to see the consultant RT yesterday and the dry mouth I`ve had for last 5 weeks has not been caused by RT but the chemo and it could be 4 to 6 months before it goes so I`ve got something to look forward to.The arm were I`ve had the chemo is still not good my veins are all hard and look horrid anyone got any idea what cream to use on it he says it could be 4 to 6 months before it goes and I didn`t ask him about cream the BCN didn`t know.Still feeling sleepy in the afternoon .Hugs Sandra

Sarah, just read your post - sending hugs and thinking of you. We are all here for you . Shell xx

Hi sarah I have sent you a message which I have posted on the welcome to forum thread ollisj6 we talked a bit back in January I must have been having a mad moment re post you will find it there love judi x 

Thank you so much all of you lovely ladies for your kind words and positivity, what strength it gives me and what wonderful people you all truly are x is anyone else struggling with a set back at all? If so then my love and best wishes goes out to you as well, keep positive and keep fighting! 🙂 Sarah x

Hi Sarah,
Sorry to see your news, not been online last few days as flat out with my son leaving primary school and leaving for our holiday.
Just to add to everyone else's support I am sending another big fat virtual hug to you. I know what you mean about turning to the forum. I think we can all be completely honest here.
I really hope you can keep your positivity, and let's hope for good news soon
Lisa
Xxxx

Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear that you have these worries to contend with. This forum is a great place for saying exactly how you feel and not have to worry about upsetting anyone else. You sound like an upbeat, positive lady but it's hard to maintain that sometimes. Sending you a big virtual hug xx

Morning Sarah 'early bird' - just you keep on posting and we'll keep on listening, always here for you.  We're off on holiday on Tuesday for a week - if i'm not online please be assurred that I'll be thinking of you.  Love Katy x

Good Morning! Marli, Katy and Sandra thank you so much for your support and good wishes I really appreciate it, funny that after I got the news and was sat at home trying to digest it that the only thing I could think of to do to help was post to this site because we have been through so much together and I knew the support would be here for me, and it was! bless you girls and I truly mean that, I find it easier to post my thoughts here than with my family, if my children see me being strong than they seem to adapt too and become strong with me, the reality is a bit different and I know some if not all of you can relate to that. I will keep you updated as to what happens next, have a lovely relaxing Sunday ladies 🙂 Sarah x

you will get there in the end Sarah this is just another bump in the road.Hoping your ultrasound and biopsy shows something easy to treat or it dosen`t need any treatment.The sooner you have the ultrasound done the better as the worry is awful for you.Giving you big hugs Sandra

Sarah, sending you love and prayers and a very big hug, Katy x

Sarah - so sorry to hear of your new troubles. Am not going to say "Don't worry" because that is not possible. Hope your ultrasound happen very soon and that they rush the results through. Why do Herceptin and steroids not go together? You have enough to deal with without the tummy troubles.

Think you need some complementary therapies to help you through this.

Will be thinking positive thoughts for you all the way.  Hugs Marli xx

Morning Ladies, I was looking forward to returning to work next week but after a CT scan due to stomach pains (which I now know is a flare up of Ulcerative Colitis which I last suffered from about six years ago) I have also been told they have spotted something under my right arm which needs further investigation so I am now waiting on an ultra sound and a biopsy. I had 36 lymph nodes removed from my right arm and half were cancerous, apparently this 'something' was present in November when my BC was first detected, I have been told it has not grow any bigger but has changed in shape hence the further investigations. I feel a bit like I am at the beginning all over again to be honest, it is now a worry. The colitis has caused me lots of stomach pain and other miserable side effects but because of the Herceptin it is not now as simple as giving me steroids which in the past has cleared it up, I have been told the chemo treatment has probably been the cause of triggering it off again, so now I have Oncology and the Gastro Departments of the hospital to familiarise myself with! Oh well, it's chin up and be the strongest person you can be time all over again! I honestly hope you ladies are doing well and your lives are returning to normal, I will get there in the end! 🙂 Sarah x

Hi ladies, hope everyone is feeling ok at the moment. Sandra - how lovely to have a new granddaughter 🙂 I also have fluff on my head but still some completely bald areas too, so the wig will be around for ages I think. I'm going to get a shorter one this weekend as the one I have now is too long and thick and makes me really hot. I found out yesterday that I will be having radiotherapy so just waiting to see the radiographer to find out the details. Hope everyone is well, sending hugs xx

Hi all just got back from a week in London to see my new grandaughter which was really great it had given me something to look forward to while having my chemo and radiotherapy.Still feeling tired and now getting the hairs on my chin back so tweezers out again.Eyelashes starting to come back and I`ve got fluff on scalp so still using my wig( I call her wendy ).See my cardiologist next week about my fast heart beats so hoping he can give me something new to try but I suppose I will have to have all the tests again to see if my treatment has caused any damage to my heart.Still got my dry mouth the gp has given me a new spray to try and I`ve got wax in rt ear never had wax before so need to have it syringed.thats all my news for now Hugs to all Sandra

It was cancelled due to the nuclear meds marli. I'm needle phobic and having a cannula put in when not needed was a pain. Have lovely marker pen drawn all over me lol I know it will be another week away. Least I get to watch big brother final at home, every cloud lol

Hi Bonkers, echo everyone else, poor you.  Hope you get a new date very soon.  Katy x

Bonkers - sorry to hear that your op was cancelled at the last minute. How annoying when you were mentally prepared for it. Hope you don't have to wait long for it to be rescheduled xx

Oh dear Bonkers that's a real pain when you are all psyched up for it. Hope it's rescheduled soon.
Lisa
Xx

Oh Bonkers, that is awful. I would have been devastated if that had happened to me. Did they tell you why they had cancelled it. I went down at 8am and I thought that was good so if any delays they would be later in the day.

Hope they get an appointment sorted asap. xx

Went in for my op today had cannula in stockings fitted already to go down to have nuclear meds and op got cancelled. Not sure how I feel about this, relieved in one way but annoyed in another as was all prepared. Just waiting for a phone call now to reschedule. Hope everyone else is doing good x

Hi ladies - just checking in and hoping that everyone is ok at the moment. Bonkers1974 - good luck for your op today. Will be thinking of you xx
Haven't heard from Sandra for a while, so hope everything is fine. I had my seroma drained last week and will need it done again soon as it's quite large. It's uncomfortable but not painful though, so not too bad. Still waiting to hear if I will be having rads - hope to find out this week. I'm on holiday this week, which is probably why the weather is rubbish 😞 Just pottering around at home though so it's not affecting any plans. Love to all xx

Afraid can't help with how much pain you will be in afterwards. I had a lumpectomy so much smaller op than you and just the one wound. But I am sure others can advise. I am sure you will be offered an array of painkillers to help out!! But understand your concern over sleeping as I had to  sleep on my back as I found it uncomfortable slepping on my side, as i normally do, as it moved my sore boob about!

BUt this didn't last long.

Lisa

xx

Thanks Lisa. I must admit I felt nothing with biopsy but actually dreading this one but like u say it will be quick. The other thing is how much pain was everyone in when they woke up, I'm having an immediate recon with muscle taken from my back. Not sure how I'll sleep with that wound on front then one on the back lol

Aha know what you are talking about now Kathy!

yes I had that done - actually had it done the day before. Have to admit wasn't pleasent because of where it is - but is very quick and nowhere near as uncomfortable as the breast biopsies.

try not to worry about it as will all be over quickly.

take care

Lisa

xx

Thanks for advice on nails. Nuclear meds is just the needle or injection before op it goes in near ur nipple, whilst asleep they inject a blue dye. More worried about the injection really as hate them!!!

My nails went white in different amounts up to half way down. Took great care taping them and wearing gloves when in water. Husband had to get my medication out of the packets for 3 weeks. Try not to use them for little jobs as this loosens them more. Kept trimming/filing them so I didn't catch them because that really hurt.

Good news for you too Tweasel.

I haven't heard of nuclear meds either. Although have had scans for bones and bone density in my nuclear meds department. x Good luck. x

Katy - good news from the oncologist who seems a really helpful fellow demonstrating squats, Enjoy your holiday in Portugal and build yourself up for your surgery. Marli xx

Hi All, really pleased for your good news tweasel and Katy! Katy you can now relax for a while and enjoy your holiday.
Sorry kathy I don't know about nuclear meds either.
Lisa xx

Hello lovely ladies. It's good news from me - removed lymph nodes and breast lump were clear. What a huge relief. I had a large seroma that my surgeon drained - 220ml. It was painless having it drained though and it feels much more comfortable now.
Katy - that's great news that the chemo has done its job. Hope the 2 weeks until your holiday passes quickly.
Kathy - sending my very best wishes for your op next week.
Marli - sorry you are feeling uncomfortable. If you have a seroma it should feel much better if they drain it. My surgeon said it will probably refill and need to be drained again, but it feels much more comfortable now.
Bonkers1974 - my fingernails went brown and then white, but haven't lost any so far. A couple felt like they were going to come off, but weirdly they seem to have reattached themselves. I'm definitely going to lose one of my big toenails though 😞 I still have no eyelash or eyebrow regrowth, and just silly wispy bits of white hair on my head. I'm not sure what nuclear meds are, so can't help with that one.
Sending big hugs to you all xx

Hope u have a fab holiday Katy good news about your op. Marli glad u didn't loose ur nails, did they go completely white? Think I might be in process of loosing mine they are not loose but gone really white!! My eyelashes still haven't come back nor has eyebrows. Has anyone had to have nuclear meds along with their op as this is the bit I'm dreading x

Hi Ladies, just back from seeing my oncologist who told me that the cancer has responded well to the chemo and could hardly be seen on the MRI scan I had a couple of weeks ago.  So I'm all ready for surgery in August - hoorah.  I've also been told that I have dry eyes despite as you say Marli they keep watering, apparently the tears they are producing are poor and that's why the eyes dry out.  I've been given drops and ointment so hope for improvement soon.  We laughed about the fact that my thigh muscles have gone rock hard and don't want to go out on my two mile walk each day - the oncologist demonstrated the squats he suggests that I do regulalry to work them back to fitness!

Good luck for your op next week Kathy.  Marli, hope you feel better soon - just picturing you sewing in the pockets to your bra, reminds me of good old maternity bras with breast pads!  Tweasel hope you're doing Ok too.

Suck a good feeling to be chemo free, Imogen and I went to Tate Modern on Monday and have a lovely Mum and daughter day out.  Off to Portugal in two weeks, can't wait.

Love to all

Katy xx

How is everyone else.? Hope your hair, brows and lashes are growing well in the sunshine !

My nails are just about recovering, didn't lose them but they needed taping down when they started to lift. Got an ingrowing toenail now so going to chiropodist.

Hope you are all well. xx

Just read your comments re eyesight Katey. I had strange vision for a while inc.out of focus and watery eyes. Saw pharmacist who suggested they werre dry even though watering. Gave me some eye drops  which did the trick and they are fine now.

Tweasel - how are you feeling now after your op. I am finding more discomfort now since drain out, it feels sore and burny . Seeing BCN on Friday for her to check to swelling due to fluid before my clinic appt on Thursday.

Just sent for some sew in pockets for my bra from Nichola Jane to transform my front-fastening bras. Can't wait to wear a bra - need it to tuck my Hickman line in.