69236members
363529posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Re: January Gemstones 2015 (January starters not on Facebook)

Hi all,just seen orthopeadic consultant and I`m booked in for a lt hip replacement on 11th jan 2016.Hopefully this will improve my life.Seeing plastic surgeon aweek on friday about the fatty lump under my arm due to mastectomy.So everything is happening at the moment Hugs Sandra

Hi Katy,

as the others have said I think we all found the end of treatment emotional, and I think this is very common. I was quite lucky that I went on holiday almost immediately after finishing radiotherapy, it had been planned before my original diagnosis, so that was a huge focus for me. Then on return I started back at work on a phased return. This gave me plenty of things to stop my mind wandering! So I think keep busy and try to do something positive each day.

i find odd things bring it all back and I have a panic moment, but I work hard at some displacement tactics -  forcing these thoughts away with focussing on the positive and on future events, planning trips etc.

had quite a setback recently when a friends niece was diagnosed with a recurrence, her first diagnosis was just a month before mine. But got my head round it now and managing to stick to my mantra of no point worrying about anything until I have something to worry about!

so good luck with getting on with the rest of your life xxxx

wishing everyone a lovely weekend. I am at friend's wedding, proudly showing off my new short hair! Ha ha no fannying about straighteners etc this time

lisa xx

Hi Carmen and Sandra, thanks so much for the advice, walking does sound like a great idea and I'll certainly get some 'happy' music into my playlists for those not so good days.  I like the idea of cleaning out cupboards, there are certainly plenty at home that could do with it.  Good luck for the remaining herceptin jabs and have a lovely weekend. x

Hi Katy,
Congratulations on finishing treatment, I know how deflating it can feel... like all your support has suddenly gone. I felt that way when I finished chemo but with another 10 herceptin to have I'm not entirely alone yet!
Good idea to take a bit of time for yourself before going back to work. The only tip I have for emotional/mental recovery is to find something that takes your mind away from thinking, it can be anything that you enjoy... I try to go for a long walk most days with my iPod and headphones, I find I'm absorbed in the music and the activity and it is so mentally relaxing. It's hard to stop the gremlins from invading your thoughts but statistics say that the majority of us will be just fine from now on...
Good luck, it's good to hear from you xx

Katy congratulations you have finished all the treatment.My advice is to take one day at a time you will have good days and days were you feel down.I find it helps me to have a walk if I feel down and remember we are all still here to help each other.Sometimes in a morning I wake up early and start to think about what has happened so I get up and clean a cupboard which makes me feel better.The BCN are still there to help if you have any problems.Good luck and hugs Sandra

Hello everyone, good to hear from many of you and how you're getting on.  I finshed my 15 sessions of radiotherapy today, effectivly the end of treatment other than tamoxifen.  Where I thought I would be cheering from the roof tops I actually felt quite emotional and tearful when I left the hospital and the team wished me luck with getting on with the rest of my life.  I can see now how you are all feeling about your first mammogram - the build up must be immense.  So I sat outside St Thomas's looking accross at Big Ben and had a little cry then I picked myself up and decided it was time to walk on to the next stage.  I'm not planning on going back to work for at least a month while I get the radiotherapy out of my system and start to take some exercise to get fitter - any tips for my mind recovery most welcome.

Have a lovely weekend all and thanks for still being there.  Love Katy x

Like you Lisa, I really like my hair short, I get lots of compliments. I also try to be positive but the gremlins creep in when I'm not expecting them, especially at the moment!
Tweasel, sorry to hear your brows and lashes aren't coming back quickly enough, I'm sure they'll catch up. Glad you enjoyed look good session, I did too, it gave me a lot more confidence in using make up!

Hello ladies - it's lovely to read all your updates. Hope your op site settles down soon Carmen. I had seromas too and it's such a relief when they are drained - much more comfortable. Hope you are taking it easy. I don't know when I will be having a mammogram, I'm at the hospital tomorrow for my Herceptin so I will ask then. I lost all my fingernails in the end - they didn't come right off just broke away really low down. They are coming along ok now though, wish I could say the same about my brows and lashes! I went to a Look good, feel better workshop last week and can highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't been to one. The goodie bag is great 🙂 Look after yourselves everyone xx

Hi Carmen,

Glad you are getting your energy levels back and I am sure the tenderness will lessen more and more as time goes on.

My mammogram is 10th November but I haven't been given a follow up appointment so I am not sure if it is all done as a one stop clinic - my original appointmet last year was. 

good luck for yours - better sooner methinks, less time to dwell on it!! good luck everyone else too xx

working hard at remaining positive - which I am most of the time but do get get the odd mini panic moment when least expecting it.

Just been looking at some post chemo hairstyles on line and loving the pixie cut looks!! my hair is about 3.5 cm now and has gone really curly!! but i like it and planning on keeping it short - at least till I fancy a change!!

Onwards and upwards girls!!

xxx

Hi all,
Was at the hospital yesterday to have my seroma drained, they removed the drain last Thursday but as the drain had a clot in it they said it was likely that I would get some fluid building up. The scar is still quite tender and its all a bit sore if I do too much but I'm recovering my energy nicely.
Had a bit of a shock at lunch time as the appointment for my mammogram came in the post, wasn't expecting it quite yet! But the appointment was for this morning so I missed it!!! Phoned them straight away and they've booked me in for Tuesday, although nervous think it'll be good to get it out of the way! Pretty sure I'm going to cry at some point during it!
I know what you're saying Lou, it's hard not to stress even though all the treatment we've had should mean everything is ok! Good luck for 26th xx
When's yours Lisa?

My nails are still sore Sandra but I only lost three of them in the end.

Take care all xx

Hi ladies,

Certainly much quieter on here nowadays... a  great sign that life is getting back to normal (whatever that is!!).

Carmen - glad the op went well and hope the pain is getting more bareable.

Just made my appointment for my first annual mammogram - 26th October and results on 9th November - can't help but feel a  little aprehensive even though chemo, radio and next 10 years  of tamoxifen should mean all is fine.  Just want to hear those words come out of my onc's mouth !  

Anyway, fingers crossed and good luck to all those with mammograms coming up in the next few weeks

Take care all

Lou x

Hi all how are you all doing?.It`s been 4 months since all my treatment finished ans still having a few problems.My mouth remains dry but spray from GP does help and OC said it could take 6 months to clear I`m just hopeing it does.Nails still falling off .Waiting to see orthopeadic consultant next week to see if my lt hip is ready for a replacement hopeing it is as walking has become worse.Dyed my very short grey hair and that made me feel happier still having to wear Wendy( my wig) when out.Due my first mammogram in november which will be good to get out of the way.Hugs Sandra

Yes just got the appointment for mine. That will be another hurdle out of the way, fingers crossed!

xx

Thanks ladies xx

Pretty much what the surgeon said too, "it's all over now" as I was blubbing on her... next stop first annual mammogram!

Take care xx

so glad all gone ok. I am sure the pain will ease a bit more each day and will soon be gone.

so onwards and upwards now! Big hugs 

lisa

xxx

That's great news Carmen, so pleased for you! It's all good - normality is beckoning you! Sarah 🙂 x

Hi Sarah,
Thank you for thinking of me. The op went really well the new implant is so much better than the expander. More natural shape and feel. The pain isn't too bad but gets worse throughout the day, bedtime can't come soon enough! My appetite has gone and all I want to eat is cheese and crackers! But I'm sure that will come back soon enough.
Lisa, the surgeon was a bit worried about my cold but the anaesthetist wasn't concerned thankfully.

Hope you are all well xx

Hi Carmen, have been thinking about you today and hope your op has gone well and that you are recovering nicely. Take care as always,  Sarah 🙂

Oh no Carmen! Hope you are over it soon. Xx

i have been getting achy joints too, but just put it down to age as I head ever faster to the big 50!

enjoy the rest of your weekend

xx

Hi Sarah and Lisa,
Thanks for your good wishes for my op. Have developed a cold this weekend so now worried that they'll cancel it, will phone the team tomorrow to check.

Sarah, I don't get any neck or breast pain that I've associated with the herceptin (and I was pleased to discover that I'd actually had 8, must be a chemo brain thing that I couldn't remember!)
Lisa, I didn't have rads but would seem reasonable that you may still have some soreness from them.

My main se are joint pain, particularly in my right hip, GP says it seems to be soft tissue rather than bone related which is good, a few hot flushes and a fuzzy headed feeling... all of which I'm blaming on tamoxifen!

Last week I went on the Younger Women weekend run by breast cancer care, it was fantastic... So if any of you are under 45 take a look, it's really worth going on.

Love to all xx

Hello!

good to hear an update, but I think it is a good sign that we are all getting on with life again now we aren't posting so often!

I'm not having herceptin so just my daily tablet of tamoxifen. I seem to have got the same brand each time so can't compare their side effects. But I think my body is adjusting as my hot flushes have eased, especially at night. Or it could simply be better at night because it is so much cooler now!

sarah, you mention Breast and neck pains, has anyone else experienced these? As I said I am not on herceptin but I have had a really sore Breast at times, I put it down to after effects of radiation.

carmen, good luck with your latest op! Understand your nerves but will soon be over and will be worth it!

hope everyone else is getting on ok

big hugs!

lisa

xx

Hi Carmen, yes it's been a while since any of us posted! Glad you are not getting any side effects from the Herceptin, I have my 8th one tomorrow at home and must admit that the week before the next one is due I have some really bad breast and neck pains which disappear once I get my next "fix" of Herceptin. It makes me anxious about why I'm having them but the doctor said it is normal and some get them and some don't, I am still loosing toe nails as well and my finger nails come off in ridges so they are super short. Hairs growing back nicely but is so short I can't do a thing with it and it's black and white! Runny nose still an issue as well but apart from that I'm good to go most days! Good luck with your expander implant, sure you will sail through it and after chemo, it cannot be any worse that's for sure, I hope it's all a breeze and you are home in no time at all. Hi everyone else, I hope life is being good to you now and soon this journey will be in the back of your mind rather than the forefront, love to you all Sarah 🙂 x

Hi all,

Haven't been on here for ages, so just thought I'd do a quick update...

I've now had 7 of 18 herceptin, the nurse comes to my home to do the injection which is working really well. They take their time over administering it and generally it doesn't give me any problems. I've been on tamoxifen since the end of May, and like so many others different brands seem to give me more or less side effects so I decided to ask my GP to specify one brand on my prescription which of course is one that my pharmacy are struggling to get hold of! I'm currently on a break from it though as I'm going in to have my expander implant upgraded next Thursday!!! Getting rather nervous now but my surgeon has promised me that they'll look after me 🙂

Hope everyone is doing well and putting the trauma of chemo behind them!

Love Carmen xx

Morning all, good to hear from you Marli, I agree about reading the leaflets as I remember making Docetaxel seem far worse as I was so worried about how I might feel.. I'll look into the Chillow, sounds like a good plan.  Have a good weekend everyone, Katy x

What great news Katy. My advice re Tamoxifen is don't read the side-effects leaflet before you start. Expect hot flushes and night sweats and learn how to deal with them but don't scare yourself. I found a Chillow or cool mat in bed a great help for night sweats.

Well done on finishing radiotherapy Tweasle. I too am having Herceptin and Perjeta (just restarted after surgery and a suspension of Herceptin because of heart changes which are now resolving)

Hope everyone is doing well and starting to get some semblance of normality back in our lives.  Marli x

Morning, thanks for the heads up about the hot flushes Lisa, as you rightly say it's a small price to pay. Katy s

What fantastic news Katy - I'm really happy for you.  I finished my rads today. I know everyone is different but I found it very straightforward, and a breeze compared to what we have been through already. I'm ER negative so no hormone therapy for me, just Herceptin until next Spring. Hope everyone is doing well xx

That's fab news Katy! Really pleased for you.

i have been on tamoxifen for a couple of months now. All ok apart from the hot flushes! Getting used to them now. Started during chemo but got a lot worse when I first started tamoxifen. Seem to have settled down a little now, still getting them but not as frequent and fewer during the night. I suppose this would have happened anyway when I went through my menopause so just getting used to it! Just think it's a small price to pay to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back!

take care

Lisa xx

Hi all, my oncologist told me today that all my cancer has gone! Apparently the chemo had virtually killed it all so only a few cells remained. I will now have radiotherapy in four weeks time. The surgeon then inflated my implant, all looking good. He has promised to 'lift' my other side to match once everything has settled down. Starting Tamoxifen now, any tips gratefully received. Love to all, Katy x

Hi all,

Wow is this our first haircut in the group, how exciting Lisa

My last drain came out on Wednesday and the dressings came off on Thursday, it's amazing how hapy I was to have a proper shower with bubbles and all, well it had been 16 days since the last one!  I see my oncologist on Wednesday for the results post surgery - I'm trying not to get too excited but am of course hoping for good news.  That afternoon the team will also start to inflate my implant, how odd will that feel eh?

I'm so pleased to hear how some of you are getting on with returning to work, I'm sure it must feel such a big deal after so long, please keep sharing your feelings as it really does help thoese of us still coming along.

Love to all, Katy x

Hi all,

so glad to see you are all returning to some sort of normality, albeit slowly.

tweasel, hope all ok with your rads and your skin not too sore. Take care in a few weeks time, I noticed my boob got quite sore inside then, think it was all the scar tissue etc tightening. But restarted my exercises and all ok.

katy, hope you are rid of your drains now and all healing ok.

sandra, yes the feel good cosmetics are fab aren't they! Such a lovely thing for us all to able to do too. 

Sarah, know what you mean about the eyebrows ha ha! Mine have finally calmed down now, but still a little sparse compared to before chemo. But hey ho saves on plucking!

my hair has really grown now, so much so I have a hair apt booked for Saturday to tidy it up. 

My phased return came to an end this week, I am back to my usual hours next week. And it is all going ok. I manage a student admin team on a small university campus and found it hard at first, even though I had continued to work when I could throughout my treatment. A fantastic colleague had held the fort for me and really supported me when I was back in, but I found going back properly daunting and I had lost a lot of confidence. But getting over that now and starting to feel my old self back at work. 

So all going good! Even slowly managing to get more active.

hugs to everyone - we're getting there aren't we?

lisa

xx

Hi Everyone,  it is so lovely to hear that everyone is getting back to some sort of normality now and doing well! Katy, I hope your drain is removed soon, I must admit I hated walking around with that bottle of blood, it was horrible, I had one either side and just felt so restricted by them, I spent a week in my dressing gown as the bottles fitted in my pockets! Bed time was a nightmare though!! I had my work medical yesterday and have been deemed fit to return, can't believe how desperate I am to return but normality means everything right now! Herceptin causes me some tiredness and very weird chest and neck pains normally in week three before I am due to have the next injection, is anyone else experiencing this? Start a totally 'clean' diet routine on 1st September, health benefits are huge but tonight we are having a Chinese and I will enjoy it, possibly a bit too much!! Take care ladies and please keep posting still, it is interesting to hear how you are all getting on and also gives me strength as well, I wish you all happiness and the best of health, what a long road and what a journey! Sarah 🙂 x         PS. Hair is growing back black underneath and white on top so I resemble a badger! Eyelashes fully back, eyebrows growing back but in all sorts of directions, think Dennis Healy! Have lost a toe nail and due to loose more, finger nails have ridges which split and I loose that part of the nail but so far I haven't fully lost any. Oh and I need to loose two stone - it's all good! 🙂

Hi all - it's lovely to hear how everyone is getting on. I lost all but one of my fingernails too, the last one about 2 weeks ago. They are growing back slowly. Still think I might lose my big toenails too. My hair is growing back  but I still have a few shiny patches. Eyelashes are nowhere to be seen though 😞 I started rads on 12th August and have had 8 out of 15 sessions so far. My skin is quite red but not sore.  We are off to Devon for 2 weeks 3 days after I finish and I'm really looking forward to it.  Katy - I hope your drain is removed soon. Great news about your daughter's exam results. Love to everyone xx

Hi all, lovely to hear all your news.  I'm nearly two weeks post MX and full node clearance, still got one drain to remove, the volume has dropped below 100ml per day so heading in the right direction.  Results in two weeks time.  My daughter's GCSE results were great so all calm in our house now and getting ready to go back to school - it will be so quiet in the house without the children but probably means that I will rest a little more.  Been thinking about joining our local David Lloyd gym to start working back to fitness, something to fill my days before I can start going back to work.  Don't have a start date for rads yet.

Please keep posting with how you're all getting on.  Love Katy x

Hi all,
The look good goodie bag is fab isn't it.
I'm losing my nails too, three have come off in the last week.
We've just come back from a holiday in the lake district which was lovely. Not long now until the kids are back at school, the summer has gone so fast!

Take care all xx

Hi all hope most of you have finished your treatment and are starting to feel a little better.I`m still loseing my nails and have that tiredness that most of us feel.Spoke to my BCN this week and she said it can take 6 to 9 months before you get your mojo back so something to look forward to.I`ve got what she called bat wings  were my mastectomy was so waiting to see the plastic surgeon to have it removed anyone else had this?.Went to the feel good afternoon and it was really good made me look human again  and got taught how to do it myself.The bag of cosmetics I got must be worth 200 pound.Well thats all for now Hugs Sandra

Hi ladies. Just popping in to say hello, and hoping that everyone is feeling well at the moment xx

Hi Katy,  the tough stuff is all done now, rest, relax, and do whatever you feel you want to now to get fit and strong, another part of your personal journey is now all over with. Well done! Sending you a big hug, Sarah 🙂 x

Thanks Sandra have been looking at prothesis site  might ring b nurse regarding size it's a bit confusing 

I have been measured at 2shops  who specialise in post op bra and have been told 2different sizes so

dont want to order  wrong size .wish our trust gave out lighter ones mine is very heavy  I would pay but it would make life easier take care and thanks for replies den x

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind replies Ladies, hoping I can now remain that way for as long as possible!!!!

Marli, Glad to hear you are recovering well and starting to regain your energy levels.

Katy, hope you are still feeling fine. as Marli says make sure you don't try and do too much - it's good to give in to your body at times and let others look after you xxx

Lisa

xx

Ah Katy, you have had a lot done at once. Glad to hear you feel relatively well. I'm sure that they pull us every which way when doing the op. I had some lovely navy blue bruises on my arm which looked as if someone had gripped my arm hard.

Take care of yourself and let someone else take the strain. After a couple of days I was feeling fighting fit and was cleaning the bathroom when DN came and was told off. It didn't last long and soon felt sore as nerves started to heal and became very tired. Lots of rest and good food to help you recover.

Good news is 6 weeks after op I feel like I am getting back a bit of energy.

Take care.    Marli x

Den the maker of my light prostesis is Amoena which you can find on the internet.The one I have is Natura light 1S number 664.They are expensive but my breastcare unit is giving them to ladies who have had mastectomys.Hope that helps Sandra

Morning ladies, Lisa I am made up for you, what great news to hear.  I had my LH mastectomy, node clearance and implant yesterday afternoon, feeling fine this morning, just a bit stiff really. Plan is to go home this afternoon and then I'll hit the sofa!  Gentle hugs Katy x

Hi Lisa, so pleased for you, the words 'cancer free' is better than winning the lottery, the best words and I wish it for all of us on this website, what a journey and a battle but you have won yours! Best wishes for a very long and healthy life x Sarah 🙂 

Lisa, I am so pleased for you. 'Cancer free' - what lovely words to hear xx

Hi!

katy, hope everything has gone well with your surgery and you aren't too uncomfortable. Just chill out and take it easy now and make the most of what is left of summer while you recuperate xx

so pleased for you Sarah, that is really good news. Upwards and onwards for you now.

Tweasel, after everything else rads are a breeze. But it is tiring, particularly the last week. My skin got a little tender and my scar a little sore, but I kept slapping on the cream and that was as bad as it got. Did have to be careful to keep the sun off it while on holiday as my skin was quite sensitive where zapped. This included my collar bone which tended to be uncovered. 

Sandra, glad they have sorted something for your heart, let's hope that is the end of it! Enjoy your pamper session, I thoroughly enjoyed mine. It is a real shame you will miss out on this Sarah.

How is everyone getting on who is back at work? I can't believe how tired I have been and I am still on the phased return! Was hoping to have started doing some proper exercise by now but having to be patient and not try too much. Did go swimming while on holiday and been walking a lot but will be a little while yet before I am hitting the gym!

i had my last oncology appt yesterday and he has discharged me. He now considers me Cancer free!

love to all

lisa

xx

Thanks Sandra can you tell me what they are made of ta 😀

Den the one that i`ve got goes in the pouch of my bra and my BC nurse gave it to me the make is amoena she gave me 3 but this one is the lighest hope that helps Sandra

Hi Sandra I am from sept sunbeams just reading some posts and saw you had. Got a lighter prothesis

is it from Nicola Jayne I got a swim one but it doesn't seem to move with me I was looking at a silicone 

one which is supposed to be lighter I would also like to try a stick on one. But my scar is bumpy 

so don't know whether it would stick !! Hope you doing ok DEN x

Hi Tweasel and Sandra, thank you so much for your kind replies and support. Good luck with the Rads on Wednesday Tweasel, it is nothing to worry about and like Sandra said you will be fine!  Sandra, so glad they have a way to stabilise your heart rate, it must be scary for you when it happens but happy to hear the beta blockers should sort it out! Also I am sure your new breast prosthesis is giving you more comfort and confidence 🙂  I decided against surgery or anything else so my chest is completely flat like a mans, it has not been an issue but I have noticed a few looks as I have taken to wearing a lot of tshirts now, not too bad as I have always been a jeans and tshirt person but have to keep necklines at a certain level or I worry if I bend done people may see ..... Nothing! If that makes sense! Well it's going to be hot again here so I am going to get my washing out on the line and enjoy the day revising for my return to work. They don't do the pampering days here in Worcester so would love to know about how it goes! Happy Days! 🙂 Sarah x