1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January Jems starting radiotherapy in NY

Mand

Re: January Jems starting radiotherapy in NY

Hi sans61 and Tracy - welcome to our little Jems club! We can go through this journey together and help one another with info and support. I'm really pleased you ladies have joined me here. It is all doable I know but I do draw strength and support from this forum that perhaps our loves can't give us. It so helps that we can relate with one another and it will make this stage of our journeys a little easier. Magical Moon thanks for your support and info, much appreciated to share with us.

I do believe we can cope so much better when we definitely know what to expect and begin the stage. Looking back now I think the surgery was so easier than expected although I am still suffering with a seroma! On a daily basis.

We have our ups and downs but I can honestly say so many more ups than downs! We just have to ride the downs out and listen to our minds and bodies and adjust accordingly. Staying positive is important but you can't always be and that's okay.

Looking forward to helping me and you sweeties through this next stage.

Take care little GEMS.

With love - Mands xxx
Magical_Moon

Hello Tracy,

I wasn't asked to take part in the Fast Forward Trial because recruitment only started 23 November 2013 so did not have to make a decision in that respect.

For anyone wanting to know what it is I have included a link to the Cancer Research UK website.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/trials/a-trial-looking-giving-1-week-radiotherapy-breast...

It is a very personal decision but if I had been asked by my breast consultant or oncologist I would have taken part to help future generations of ladies who are diagnosed with breast cancer.

The MASSIVE clinical advances that have been made in respect of cancer survival and treatment have been achieved (in part) by ladies taking part in clinical trials. So I, myself, have very much benefited from all those ladies who have helped the advancement of cancer treatment by participating in trials before I was diagnosed with the disease.

I am thankful to all those generous ladies for taking part in trials who have helped cancer researchers, surgeons, scientists etc.

Good luck with your decision.

Peace and Positivity,
M xxx
The

Thanks magical_moon your feedback is very helpful. I'm glad you made some friends along the way. I'm going to have 18 rounds of rads and have also been asked to take part in the fast forward trial which I'm still unsure about!?? Any thoughts on this are welcome! I will be having my rads at mount Vernon anyone attended there? X Tracy
Magical_Moon

Hello Mands and The,
Just wanted to wish you all the very best when you start your radiotherapy treatment.
My treatment plan included 15 sessions of radiotherapy and I will have my last one on Monday 23 December. I wanted to reassure you that radiotherapy is definitely 'doable'.
Actually, I found the process fascinating and enjoyed learning about the technology. The radiographers were lovely. Always friendly and helpful.
From my own experience, here are some things to expect.
--- Depending on how busy your radiology department is, expect a good deal of waiting around. All my appointments were booked for 4.15pm but every day I had to wait 50/55 mins before getting on the Linac Accelerator. One afternoon I waited two and half hours.
--- Expect to see patients waiting for radiotherapy who look in a worse condition than you. I found this upsetting and stressful at first but got used to it.
--- Expect to feel nervous on your first visit because you don't know what actually happens. No need to worry though because radiographers explain everything to you and put you at ease.
--- Expect to feel a little overwhelmed after the first two sessions because it feels like a long haul ahead of you. However, after 3rd visit you feel calmer because you get into the routine of going daily.
--- Once the first week is over, the weeks seem to go much quicker. Thank goodness!!!
--- Expect to meet other regulars having treatment at the same time of you. It adds to the journey seeing familiar faces and you can make new friends. I started out as 'Betty No Mates' having no family or close friends to accompany me to the treatments. But I made three new friends in the waiting room and we helped each other along. We are going to keep in touch.
--- Expect to start feeling stiff and sore after first three sessions.
--- Aqueous cream highly recommended. Apply religiously as instructed by radiographers.
--- Expect both male and female radiographers.
Hope this helps.
Peace and Positivity,
M xxx
The

Hi Mands I am still having chemo but due to finish mid January my rads planning is on 23rd jan so I will be due to start in February. I will be very interested to hear about yours and others journey so I will know what to expect. I hope others will join you soon as it is so much nicer to talk about how you are getting on and for the sharing of tips and experience x Tracy
Sans61

I to start radio in Jan going for Lumpectomy and SNB results on 23rd Dec fingers crossed its good been advised I will have 20 sessions unsure what meds will follow until I have my planning appointment strange how calm I feel still waiting to have meltdown I feel totally detached from from everything best wishes for Christmasxx
Mand

Error - I mean "lucky to have escaped chemotherapy NOT surgery" lol. Perhaps I should try and sleep now! It's 3.00 am and I haven't had a great night! X
Mand

January Jems starting radiotherapy in NY

Hi ladies,

Anyone starting radiotherapy in January 2014?

I know there is a monthly thread for those starting chemotherapy in January so I thought we could run along with those ladies and try to support one another? Everyone is welcome to join so please do.

My name is Mandy (Mand or Mands!). I was first diagnosed on 13th November and had surgery on 21st November. 30mm tumour, grade 3 envasive and I had 50mm removal of tumour and tissue at time of surgery. I did have a bit of reconstruction at lumpectomy but will need further surgery at end of treatment.

Consultant thought that due to my age, size of tumour and grade - I would need both chemotherapy and radiotherapy but the good news is that they now don't advise chemotherapy, just radiotherapy and tamoxifen. I had the oncotype test and it came back as 18% which was just borderline.

Obviously, I am so so pleased to have escaped surgery and I still count myself very lucky so far.

I have to say I'm not looking forward to the radiotherapy treatment but I know it is all doable and I have received loads of support and information from the lovely ladies on the forum.

Please join me, don't let me be Billy no mates lol. Looking forward to welcoming you and being able to support each other.

I have my CT scan and planning appointment on the 31st December - what a lovely way to spend the last day of this year lol.

Mands xxx