Job interview on Monday - help!!

Howdy

I’ve got a job interview at my local council on Monday. Naturally I want to tell them about my situation, but was wondering how to tell them.

I’ve got the Big Scan on 27 March, then consultation on 9 April to discuss whether the tamoxifen and zoladex have been working. If not, chemo for me.

I’ve not told them anything about my situation yet, just ticked the ‘disabled’ box on the application form (have secondary bone cancer)

Just wondering if any of you have had to go through this with new employers/interviews and how you approached it?

Thanks xx

Hi Pony,

I work for a local council and although I didn’t apply during treatment I have found that they have been supportive and are actually encouraging me to apply for a post that will lead to promotion.

When I have interviewed someone who has ticked disabled I have asked if there is anything we as employers would have to do in order to access any post offered.

Usually the reply was to do with access or special equipment. Perhaps you could say you would need time away from work to attend hospital appointments. This may naturally open the conversation to your health history.

Local councils should be well briefed into employment law and not discriminate.

If you happen to be unsuccessful you can ask for a debrief as to the reasons why and hopefully they will give you honest answers.

Good luck, remain positive, sell yourself, you’ve been far worse than any interview!

C

Hi cb

Thank you for this - it’s kinda put my mind at ease a bit.

Will definitely think about the reply to what them as employers can do… :O)

Thank you xxx

Hi

I work in the recruitment team for my local authority you will not need to declare this at the job interview unless you wish to, but if you are susccesful in gaining employment with them you will need to complete an pre employment questionniare in our case it is just a tick box either yes or no, they are confidenital and when we receive them they are sent to our occupation health team only if the form has ticks in the yes box. In this case theu will assess your form and contact you either by telephone or ask you to come, when that has happened they only give us the basic information ie if you need to eat take additional breaks etc. the manager will get a copy of this just so he is informed but telling them is entirely up to you.

I know we appointemtn a successful candiate who was going through cancer treatment but didnt tell them at the interview.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Sharon

Hi Shazjan

Thank you for this. I did feel that I should tell them something, as if they offer me the position, the choice of accepting it will depend on whether I need chemo after my Big Scan at the end of the month… If I do, then I don’t really want to be starting a new job and having time off for chemo and recovery etc.

I wouldn’t want them offering it to me, and me having to say I need to wait for my consultation and results before saying yes or no…

Does this make sense?
xxx

I understand what you mean Pony, I can understand why you want to be upfront.

C

Hi,

I would be honest and say that you might need some time off for hospital appointments, but would be happy to take job (if offered) on a casual/temp basis to see how it all fit’s for you both.

Good luck with interview,

Michaela x x