Joining the club

Hello,

I’m 42, recently diagnosed (2.5 weeks ago), and having a massive wobble today. I thought I had managed to stay fairly positive, but I have lumpectomy and axillary node clearance looming on Wednesday and it feels as if everything is crashing down around me.

I was told that I have grade 3 breast cancer, a 2.4cm tumour and that they know it is in my lymph nodes (hence the clearance). I’ve also been told that I will have chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormone treatment and heceptin. 

I’m usually very in control of my emotions and calm and collected, but today i had to just give in and come home from work. I’d love to hear some good news stories - it all seems very frightening at the moment.

x

jaydee

Welcome, I know it is not a place you really want to be, but you will find loads of help and support from all the lovely ladies on here.

This is a scary time because it is all new and you are trying to take in so much information at once, give yourself time to breath and just set yourself small milestones.  There is the Going Through Treatment section on here where you will find ladies who have been diagnosed the same as you and are either in treatment or have now come out the other side of treatment who will be able to give you support

Keep hold of the fact that they have found it and it can be treated, okay it is going to take a bit of time, but you can get through this and we will all be by your side.  I did not have the same as you, but I finished active treatment in January after a lumpectomy, snb and 20 radiotherapy sessions, I am now back to my normal life.

There is a lot of information on here and if you go to the Information and Support section on the main page you will find lots of very good publications.  Please try not to google generally as there is a lot of out of date and misinformation on there, stick to here or Macmillian. 

There is also the 24 hour helpline number which is at the top of the page where you can speak to people who will be able to support you as well.

Sending you a hug and all the very best wishes for Wednesday.  Let us know how you get on.

Helena xxx

Hi jaydee
And welcome to our club!
You’re entitled to have a wobble anytime. The ladies on here will know exactly how you feel.
I had lubular bc grade 3, so hence lumpectomy, chemo, rads and currently on letrozole and zoladex. Choose to stay off work during that time, as mentally and physically not with it.
You will get through it, like many of us on here. My advice at this stage would be to take one day at a time, and then one treatment at a time.
Sending a virtual hug xx

Hello

Good news story coming up as requested:

I was very similar to you - two years older at 44, grade 3, 2.7cm lump, in 3/16 lymph nodes, mastectomy, chemo, rads, herceptin, tamoxifen

The good news is that was 10 years ago, I’m now 54 and fit and well.

Hi Jaydee

I am also 42, I was diagnosed on 29th March,  so I am a bit further down the road to you. Mine isn’t quite the same (grade 1 22mm lobular lymph nodes clear). I have had a lymph node biopsy and had a lumpectomy on Monday.  I think I am looking at radiotherapy and hormone treatment.  I was bimbling along dealing with it, then had a bit of a meltdown at work a few weeks ago.  I am helped by the fact my sister was diagnosed a year ago,  she was 45 at the time, she has had a mastectomy,  chemo, radiotherapy, herceptin and hormone treatment, she is now nearly ‘out the other side’. Her advice to me from the start was ‘it will be pants but you’ll be fine’,  which I keep reminding myself when I am having a bad day. 

Big hugs

Hi I’m bit further down the line like you had surgery last Thursday need chemo rads but no hormone treatment mine doesn’t respond to hormones, I feel a lot better than I did before surgery but still have wobbly days, had a good cry yesterday and got it out I’m sure there will be more days like that to come but you will find they become less as you get your head round it all it’s such alot to deal with in a short time they ladies on herehave all been where you ade now and are full of great advice and support when needed xx I’m 45 and it was a massive shock to me never thought it would happen to me but you know people on here are so positive about their journey through BC that you can find reassurance on hard days xx take care x

Hi Jaydee, and welcome to the club! My diagnosis is  exactly  the same as yours. I’ve just had my second dose of chemo this morning, and although a bit groggy I’m doing fine. I’m 70, so not young, not fit and deff not slim! I trusted my teams , although I was pro active in my treatment, using this site, and their  booklets etc, to help me. Make sure you ask for all the drugs you want and need. Eat healthily in prep for the battle, drink LOADS of water to keep veins hydrated for the cannula, and yes, it is pants, but from the posts on here it’s doable! Good luck. ?

Thank you for your kind words - you have really picked me up this afternoon. I’ve had a good cry, a good sleep and feel almost back to normal - whatever normal is these days. The main thing is, I can do this! Sending best wishes to you all x