Joint deteriation

Firstly Merry Xmas to Everyone.

It;s Christmas day, last year I celebrated Xmas with No hair, aft DX masectomy. Chemo,Radio ,Tamoixifen & starting Herceptin in Dec 2007.,
Having had herceptin all year finishing on Dec 5th 2008,and hair on my head you would think I would be better this year but it’s Xmas night,and I’m so miserable.
I have had suspected thombosis,( in May ) I have severe arthritis in both legs ( I also endes up in hospital in Oct with duodeium ulcer after aniti inflamitarys given for leg pain)

I feel weeker this Christmas than I did last year, and can’t seem to shake myself out of it. I’m heavier but more disabled with so much pain in knees yet doctors won’t associate pain with tamoxifen.
Sorry for being a moan at this time of year, but I am in agony & it seems to get worse day by day. ( I also have awful water retension in ankles & shins)

Oncology told me to mention this when I see my oncology consultant in Jan, I have only seen him twice in 21 months. I hate being like this but the pain in my legs is dispariging. I’m 49 and now have a walking stick albeit a lovely green one has anyone else suffered with their joints like this. ( I had arthritis in one knee, after bone scan last year this showed up also in sholder, but have xray to confirm it is good leg)
Sorry for being a moan but I am so crippled with pain.

Hope everyone had a Merry Crimbo

Love Heather xxxxx

Hello Heather

Sorry you are having such a low time. It feels so much worse at Christmas when everyone expects you to be so jolly. To make it worse everyone assumes that once the surgery and chemo etc are over you should just bounce back to normal. It just isn’t like that.

Do ask if they would consider an alternative to Tamoxifen (I have Zoladex with Arimadex). Although I did have terrible pain in my hand joints for the first 6months. I also had a lot of hip and knee pain but found once I managed to shed about 10kg that also went ( I hasten to add that took me about a year).

Also Heather you let off steam as much as you want - don’t be sorry about moaning … I think we all understand here.

Good luck with the medics in January
May the New Year bring better things - Jacqui

Hello Jaqqi
I have woke up this morning after, chatting to my son telling him what I did last night, going on the blogs, for moral support .I then went today and I have to say you have made me feel so much better just giving me permission to sound off & actually taking time out to reply to my dilema. I am so grateful to you Jacqui and just wanted to let you know.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the rest of your holidays.
I will let you know whats happens with consultant in Jan.
(I have also bought myself weightwatchers scales so I intend to Attempt to lose some on my wieght in the new year.
Once again thank-you

Heather xx

Glad you’re feeling brighter, Heather. Personally I have found that rose hip (Lit-O-Zin) has really helped with my Tamox joint pains. It is expensive but worth it.

Louise x

Hi Heather!

I think really severe joint pain is very common after some sorts of chemo and then Tamoxifen. A friend was referred to a rheumatologist because of very similar problems and in some ways the side effects of the chemo and then the side effects of medication for the previous side effects is worse than the original treatment! Don’t put up with it and make sure you tell someone just how bad it is on your next appt or you will get ignored, as some oncs really don’t want to know about long lasting bad effects from treatment.

Hi Dudley

I hope you got through Christmas without too many problems,you will find this site very helpfull and very supportive.
I too have had a few problems and found just coming on here fantastic and I never felt alone.

Good luck with your appt and let us know how you get on.

Jackie x

hi dudley

i was on tamox since feb to two weeks ago and doc changed me to arimidex. the reasons for this were sore and swollen ankles, legs and hands. also constant pain a bit like pins n needles in my legs. i will let u no if the change makes any difference but my oncologist said that it may not be tamox that caused the side effects but the fact i am also getting herceptin. some of the girls who go to clinic with me are taking another alternative to tamox, i think its called femara, sorry not sure how to spell it. are u getting herceptin?. take care and feel free to sound of whenever the need takes u.

maria

oops just noticed u have finished herceptin.

maria