cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2016 starters

756 REPLIES 756
Suze65

Re: July 2016 starters

I just wanted to add my best wishes to all of you for a happier and healthier 2017. What a journey we went on last year!

I finished radiotherapy on 22nd December and really haven't had many problems with it, although my skin is getting a bit itchy now and I have to keep exercising my arm to relieve stiffness in the armpit.

What I am experiencing is chronic insomnia, which I think must have something to do with taking Anastrozole, as that's when it started. Has anyone else had this problem?

Deniseelizabeth

Finished chemo (ecp) on 10/11 and started radio 17/11. Last session on Monday! No picc line for chemo as the thought of it scared me - thankfully the veins lasted! I have the same rash on my elbows abs very sore feet. Comforting to see that this appears 'nodnsk' from reading posts here. Radio has been tiring but at the last hurdle! I will be on arimidex fir 5 years but tolerance for coming off is low as my response to progesterone was low anyhoo. Looks like I'll loose my hair again from this. Anyone else on this tab?
Deniseelizabeth

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi OnceWild and all others on the July thread,

It is fabulous to hear that you are now nearing the end or have reached the end of your active treatment.

My last rads were on Oct 26.

I am amazed at OnceWild already being on a phased return to work! You must be one strong and fit lady!

Unfortunately I was truly hit by the sometimes delayed side effects of fatigue and 'chemo brain' - mild cognitive disorder - once all was over. Thankfully our new Macmillan centre has now opened and I am getting help with addressing some of the challenges. Seems weird - having worked most of the time through chemo and rads - that I am currently not able to work anymore....

I agree that the radiontherapy treatment is much easier than chemo, especially when one has the right cream to avoid burns, etc.

Just be aware - often the burn comes out in the two weeks AFTER the rads have finished - so keepp moisturising!

Wishing all of you a most Merry Christmas and a brilliant New Year!

shutterstock_347932922.jpg

Hugs

Sue xx

Bookworm48

Well done Oncewild and to all in this group - what a rollercoaster we've been on and are still on! I had my last radiotherapy yesterday. Can't believe what this year has put us all through but here is to a happy and healthier 2017. X
OnceWild

Hello everyone 

just checking in - can't believe it is six weeks since I finished chemo and four week since I started phased return to work! The time has flown. I have my final radio on Monday so the end of hospital visits is in sight. Yay!! 

Radiotherapy is a breeze compared to chemo. I have been lucky and had 8.15 slots each day so easy to park and in and out in a flash. Skin is doing really well too. Onward - withdaily Letrozole tablets, three weekly Herceptin jabs and six monthly Zometa infusions - to a brilliant 2017 for all of us! XX

madhatter67

Alex, am now on day. 17 from last session of chemo!  My taste buds are almost back to normal, but certain foods still do not taste as they should!   I also look forward to being able to taste Xmas lunch and to enjoy!!!  I was admitted to hospital on day 10 with high temp!  Thought I had got away with it!   Am only just beginning to feel normal (ish!!).  Totally agree with your view on exhaustion - even now I get very tired after I have been out - cant walk too far before I feel tired!  Still, at least we have got the chemo and side effects over with!  

We on the same wavelength!  i have a facial and massage booked for just after xmas, I am so looking forward to the treatments.  All the bery best to you for xmas and the New Year - Hugs x

Pookie1

Hi Everyone, it's a very quiet board! Hope you're all doing ok. For those of you who have started rads, how's it going? I hope that you're finding it manageable and not too exhausting.

I had my final chemotherapy yesterday, after so many delays I expect I'm the last one on this board to have finished, I think even some on the August board finished before me! But on the plus side, if I do have radiotherapy (consultation in a couple of weeks) at least it'll be after Christmas and when the kids are back at school. I was dreading having to go in every day during the holidays. So there's always a silver lining : ))

I'm sending lots of love to everyone here, we've had a horrendous few months, but we did it!

Poookie xxxx

Alex2016

Audrey, so glad to hear you've had your last session. Now just the side effects to get over.
I'm 12 days post last chemo and only really starting to feel semi normal now. Had been pretty rough as usual. to be honest thought I would have felt more optimistic, less emotional, but was as difficult as ever. Managed to get out yesterday for a few hours for the first time. Came home exhausted, but do good to get out. Think the effects are definitely accumulative, as I don't think I have ever felt such exhaustion.
Looking forward to taste buds returning to normal in time for Christmas though. There's still so much I can't eat that tastes disgusting.
But enough of the negativity from me! No more chemo! I'm going to treat myself to nice relaxing facial and maybe a pedicure with glitter gel nails in the next week or two. Something to look forward to.
Really hope you get through the next week ok. Hugs x
madhatter67

Hi Alex, I had my last chemo yesterday as mine was put back a week on the previous session.  I have meds ready again to hopefully minimise side effects, particularly bone pain!  How are you doing for SE's? I have had  Radiotherapy consultation and go for scan on 25 Nov ready to start same on 12 December.  Did think it would be done and dusted before xmas but as I have had some delays with chemo, I finish Rad on 4 Jan.  I knew nothing about holding breath either!! That should be interesting, guess I will have to start practising!  To you Alex, and all the other ladies who have recently completed Chemo, we have done it!!!   To all those ladies still going through chemo, good luck and you can do it too!! One step at a time.  Hugs to you all.

Audrey

blueash
Community Champion

I have a rash on my lower legs but my elbows are OK. I also had the most horrendous water retention and my legs, hands, middle and face made me look like the Michelin Tyre man. I am assured that all will be well in due course and my swelling has gone down plus the rash is not as bad.

OnceWild

Onto the next for all of us! I saw Rad cosultant on Tues and have planning appt on 21st prior to 15 treatments. Starting Letrozole soon too. Ongoing Herceptin and Zometa too. It's certainly not over but am sure the worst is - SO pleased to be finished chemo, especially today as for the past nine weeks I have lost every Friday through the weekly treatment, then felt out of sorts for four or five days. Best of all is having my Hickman line out. It was a godsend for treatment but a hassle to live with. A little trio of scars to join the large red brute that crosses my chest. Hope they all fade with the memories!

I am am troubled by an itchy rash on the outer elbows and each calf. It flares up every now and then but has persisted for three weeks. Asked pharmacist for advice and was told to treat the symptoms as it is probably chemo related but I'm not convinced. Minor niggle in the great scheme of things. Anyone else had the same? 

blueash
Community Champion

I started last Monday and I have 15 regular plus 8 boosts so 23 weekdays in all. They position you then draw on you, next they say "deep breath in............ breath out" a couple of times. After that it's  "in your own time a deep breath in and hold it"  then they count down from 22. They do that about 4 or 5 times and then it's over, often they get to 12 and tell you to breath out but the longest is 22.

I found this video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LAlMBDoUs

Have a couple of old bras because the ink comes off on them. I take my cream with me and use it in the changing room before I get dressed then again at about 3pm and once more before bed. I don't use it before I go because my appointment is at 9 am.

Alex2016

Blueash, nothing like this was mentioned. I'll maybe start practising! Just holding your breath for 22 seconds? When do you start Rads?
blueash
Community Champion

Alex did they take you through breath holding? On your left breast you have to move your heart out of the way  by breathing the way they tell you and be able to hold your breath for 22 seconds. If you can't do that they give you a shield, they told me about that ages ago so I have been practising but my doctor does both rads and chemo.

Alex2016

Bookworm, yes I got 3 tiny tattoos. I can't even see them without my reading glasses lol. I thought I was to get radiotherapy where I got my nodes removed under my left arm, but apparently not, just where the tumour was on left breast.
Was a bit worried about baring all, but wasn't as bad as I thought. 3 Radiographers and all chatted away whilst sorting me out. And all female. Was able to keep wig on too, but had scarf on standby just in case.
Good luck for your appointment. x
Bookworm48

Well done Alex. That's great news. Ta ra to chemo!!! I'm going for my planning for RT tomorrow. I've got to have rads to my neck nodes as well as breast area. Do they tattoo you? Hope SEs bearable following your last chemo. Onwards and upwards xxxx
Alex2016

Well girls, that's my last chemo done yesterday! Just to get the next 7-10 days over with.
I had my Radiotherapy Planning Meeting on Monday. A good 2 hour appointment in between hanging about. Hopefully be commencing in 3 weeks time. Felt a bit rushed into this initially when I first got appointment letter. Felt like saying, give me a break lol. However, glad now I know what's happening.
Have Appointment for Cardiac Clinic in December.
Got script to start Tamoxifen in 3 weeks time. Also got 2 appointments for January. A 2 hour appoint for new patient clinic and then a 6 hour appointment for the following week to get first Herceptin.
So yes, Bookworm, we are still very much on the BC conveyor belt!
Hugs to everyone. We will get there eventually x
Bookworm48

So heartening to hear so many of us are nearing the end of chemotherapy. Well done everyone. What an achievement. On my last chemotherapy they also gave me my first 6 monthly zometa infusion. Have been struggling with bone pain since - particularly at night.  Hope this wears off!! I've got a ct scan next week to map me out for RT and then radiotherapy to take me up til Christmas so I still feel very much on the BC conveyor belt. Getting fed up of the no hair/eyebrows/eyelashes situation but need to be patient I know! Good luck everyone xxxx

Alex2016

Oncewild, Suze and Bookworm. Well done on reaching the end of your chemo! I know you have side effects to get through, but must feel like a milestone. I am so pleased for you all. How are you all feeling? Anybody anything nice planned once side effects over? Have you Radiotherapy or surgery still to get?
My last chemo is on Tuesday (fingers crossed). Can't wait to be able to say chemo is finished, but hard knowing I will be quite unwell for 10 days or so. And the exhaustion never leaves. Wonder how long it takes for taste buds to to normal after chemo?
Mad hatter, is your last chemo this week?
OnceWild

I had my last chemo today! SO pleased to have two treatments ticked off, and the two big ones too - MX and chemo. Just four more treatments to go - radiotherapy,  6 more Herceptin jabs, 5 more Zometa infusions and Letrozole for ages. Who knows what lies ahead but for now I am just happy to be here.

hope you are all managing the SEs ok and enjoying your weekends. 

Suze65

Final chemo today! Hope yours went well Bookworm. Luckily they found a vein first time today. Last time they had to have three tries! Today I walked two miles to the hospital with gloves and a heat pad on, then asked them to get the canula in while the veins were still plump. Bingo! Obviously I've still got this cycle's SEs to go through, but it feels so good to know that I won't have to do it again.

Best wishes to all those who haven't quite finished yet. The end - as you say Alex - is in sight.

Alex2016

Bookworm, good luck for today. I'm sure it will feel weird at the hospital knowing it is your last one. My last chemo is next Tuesday. Mixed feelings about it. On one hand want it over and done with and on the other, really don't want it as side effects are awful 😪 Definitely been a rollercoaster, one we wouldn't want to get on again! But as you say, we did it (or nearly have, the end of this stage is definitely in sight).
x
Bookworm48

Hard to believe the end of chemo is in sight for so many of us. I will (hopefully) be having my last chemo tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing ok. It's been a rollercoaster to say the least hasn't it. I'm not sure what normal feels like anymore!! I've been in weekly chemo for the last 12 weeks so like Pookie I never quite feel back to normal in between treatments. Next challenge radiotherapy and hormone treatment.......hope everyone is coping with various regimes. We did it!!! :))))) xx
Alex2016

Pookie, thanks for advice. I'll see about washing it in the next day or two, before I start venturing out again. Haven't been out of the house since last Tuesday 🙁
I know what you mean about feeling slighter under the weather all the time. I asked my Onc the other day when I would feel normal, and she said give yourself at least 3 months after chemo! And you have young children too I think, so can't be easy on you all. Mine are in their early 20's and have been great throughout all this.
But the main thing is the end of chemo is in sight! Hugs x
Pookie1

Hi Alex,

I have washed my wig a couple of times. The advice Blueash gave was spot on and I've found that it really doesn't take that long to dry. If you can do it on a day that you're not going out, or, go out and do chores first thing in the morning then wash as soon as you get back in, you should find that it has dried in time for the following day. Blot as much as you can with a towel, gently, and then leave in a room pref with some central heating in it! I've found that the curl has loosend a tiny bit, but it still looks great. Don't be alarmed if it feels really heavy when rinsing, you wont harm the lace, it's pretty tough.

If I could figure out how to post photos, we could both do it and have a laugh : )))

Glad you've only got one more treatment to go and that you're feeling a bit better now. Almost there! I have to say that although the weekly side effects aren't nearly as dramatic, I do feel just slightly under the weather all the time and despite being able to be up and about, I don't feel like I ever have enough time to recover before I get zapped with the next lot! Aah well, swings and roundabouts.

Take care xxx

blueash
Community Champion

I suppose you could put it in the airing cupboard. I have got a couple of baseball caps with hair and they are fabulous. So comfortable. I put a photo on here somewhere.

Found it! look on page 22 of the September thread. The post below it says where to get them.

Alex2016

Blue ash, thanks for posting!
Although, it says it takes few days to dry!!!! Means I wouldn't have one to wear then. I'm ok at minute as only wear scarf and sometimes fringe (on my better days lol) when in house, but once I finish chemo, I'll need wig every day.
I might have to invest in another one. Although the one I have was expensive enough. The NGS wig I got was unsuitable, so just bought one myself.
blueash
Community Champion

Also get some of these:

http://headlineit.com/medical

and you do not need to wash it as often and it will keep better. I have some and they are very good. I still have lots of hair thanks to cold cap and am using toppers now. They are just wide extentions.

blueash
Community Champion

Alex I tried to find a video for you -there are loads on youtube but the best one I have see says:

fill a bowl of tepid water add about 2 ml of special wig shampoo and swirl it around in the water.

add your wig and just let it soak for about 10 mins NO RUBBING all sweat and dirt will come away.

lift you wig out and put in another bowl of tepid water for a minute or so. Do that 3 or 4 times.

lift wig out and blot with a towel NO RUBBING.

Arrange on a wig stand (head shape) and lighly conb with a wig comb/brush.

leave to air dry for a couple of days.

Alex2016

Pookie, I know we both got the same Jon Reneau Julianne wig. Have you ever washed yours? I have only wore mine in total about 4 weeks, usually in my "good" week in chemo. Although of late, good isn't how I would describe it lol. And even then, only for a few hours any day I am out and about.
I know once I finish Chemo, I will probably be wearing it a lot more often, so am thinking I need to give it a wash.
Did yours wash ok? Just a bit wary, in case I wash and it doesn't look as good, or the lace cap would rip. Any advice?
Alex2016

Pookie, good to hear the weekly dose is a lot more manageable than 3 weekly. But poor you having 2 Injections a day!
I just had number 5 on Tuesday and both Friday and yesterday were horrendous with oral thrush, pains etc. Feel slightly better today, so holding on to that.
Yes, starting to see the end in sight. At last! Although yesterday, I felt like saying I couldn't take any more 😪
Onc Dr said when I'm getting my last chemo session,I will get appointment for Radiotherapy planning and this should be within 3-5 weeks. Start Tamoxifen then too and Herceptin once radiotherapy is finished. Just can't wait to get chemo finished!
Sorry I can't help with your queries over surgery. I had WLE and then ANC way back in May and June before I started chemo, so no more surgery for me. I hope!!!!
Pookie1

Hi All,

Happy to be reading that we're all coming to the end of things and have managed to get through it! Alex (and a few other I'm sure) only one more to go now!

I've still got 5 weekly taxol to go (possibly 6 if they tack the one I missed on to the end) but even I can see the end in sight. I've had problems with low neut count and am back on the gcsf injections, joy, two injection a day again as I'm still having to do the anticoagulant ones as well. Buuuut, I'm starting to get excited for the end.

The good thing about the weekly dose is that so far, I've only had one slightly rough day each time. I do get the joint and bone pain a bit, but none of the horrible SEs of FEC, like the nausea, the taste and the just not being able to move bit!

My thoughts are now turning to radiotherapy and reconstruction. Nobody has really spoken to me about this yet and Google has thrown up some conflicting info. I've read somewhere that you can't have a reconstruction after radiotherapy but that can't be true, right? Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Truthfully, I'm not even sure if I want to have a reconstruction anyway ( I was never blessed in the boob department, so I'm not really missing much and am not even too lopsided!), but I'd quite like to know the options.

Thanks girls and good luck for all remaining infusions! Xxxxx

Alex2016

Mad hatter, sorry to hear yours didn't go ahead. I'm sure you were all syched up for it, but as we know, there are no guarantees with all this and blips happen from time to time. I've had my fair share too lol.
I just had usual chemo taste in mouth, fuzzy head and general feeling of yuckiness. Finding it hard to eat/drink. Fatigue really bad. If anything like last session pains will kick in shortly unfortunately 🙁
However, Oncologist did say that loads of patients find the second dose slightly easier than the first, so fingers crossed! He was concerned about the pheripherial neuropathy on feet and fingers, but because it went away within the last week, was happy enough to carry on with full dose. Said we can see how this one goes before making decision on final dose.
Well all you can do is make the most of having this week to build yourself up for your next dose. Nite nite to you and everyone else on July thread. It's pretty quiet of late (again) lol. x
madhatter67

Hi Alex, just wondered how you are doing after your treatment?  I did not have mine on Wednesday, it was delayed for one week.  I had to have a mole removed from my leg which was totally out of the blue and my Oncologist's opinion was that it would be better for me to let wound heal before have next session.  Was disappointed but understand and accept his opinion.  I will post how it goes next week.  Hope you doing ok - thinking of you, and all going through treatment. 

madhatter67

Hi Alex, just wondered how you are doing after your treatment?  I did not have mine on Wednesday, it was delayed for one week.  I had to have a mole removed from my leg which was totally out of the blue and my Oncologist's opinion was that it would be better for me to let wound heal before have next session.  Was disappointed but understand and accept his opinion.  I will post how it goes next week.  Hope you doing ok - thinking of you. 

OnceWild

Hello everyone

hope you are all doing ok. I have just three more weekly doses to go and suddenly the end feels very near. I can't wait to finish chemo but am not yet in the right mindset to go back to work in five weeks time. Hoping this will change over the next  few weeks. Hoping also to fit radiotherapy and Herceptin injections around work but suspect this might be too big an ask. I have had such long waits for both bloods and treatment over the last few weeks I can't imagine anything going to plan. 

I have been pondering the concept of getting back to normal and wondering if it is ever possible. Ideally I'd like to make a big life change and make the most of every minute but, with children in critical years at school/college, we have to bide our time and stay put for now. So instead I am drooling over exciting holiday ideas, sadly most of which are unaffordable. Ah well, I can dream!

How are you going to mark the end of treatment? 

Alex2016

Yes Audrey, I'm with you on proactive! As I said going to take Claritin tomorrow, ahead of injection tomorrow. And start taking the co-codamol at the first sign of pains and take them more regularly. I'm a bit loathe to take too many as know they cause constipation, but the pain can be wild bad can't it.
I'll let you know how I get on.
x
madhatter67

Best of luck for tomorrow Alex, hope your SE's are not as bad this time!  I am going to be proactive this time around as I dont want to have the same bone pain as the first one!  Will be thinking of you .

Alex2016

Yes girls, my 2nd one tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Have been absolutely exhausted, even today, so I just hope my bloods are ok. Never slept last night for worrying that it wouldn't go ahead, as I'm soooo on the countdown now Have taken my steroids etc today, so ready to go!
Am actually only home, as was out for lovely tea with friend. No alcohol involved unfortunately 😞🍷
Taste buds still not normal. However, not quite as bad, but a lot of food still tastes yuck and water only starting to taste semi normal. Trying to drink my 2 litres today. Mouth issues are pretty dire/depressing aren't they?
Suze, good that you weren't quite as bad this time. I've read a few posts where people say, the first was the worst, so here's hoping! I'm going to start Claritin from tomorrow. Have you one more session to go?
madhatter67

Glad to hear your second Docetaxol was not too bad Suze - will post on here how mine goes after Wednesday.  Hope yours goes ok Alex - I think you maybe are a day ahead of me?  

Suze65

I thought I'd let people know, particularly Madhatter and Alex who are due this week, that my second Docetaxol wasn't as bad as the first. I still stayed in bed a lot this weekend and felt pretty woozy and useless for anything, but I didn't have the bad heartburn or pain around the kidneys. I took the 'Sainsbury's own' version of Clarityn. Not sure if that helped or whether it was just better this time anyway.

I hope it goes well for both of you.

Julia S

Hi Audrey,

I'm not sure if anyone knows why clarityn helps, just that it does. As my pharmacist said when I finally convinced him to give me some: "at least it won't do any harm?!?!" so it's certainly worth trying. Good luck, I feel like I'm crawling out of the joint/bone pain of the last one! Looking forward to not feeling like this anymore, that's for sure.

X J

madhatter67

Hi Julia - have read your post with interest and it certainly was very informative.  It was interesting to read about Clarityn - would never have thought of taking anti-histamine tablets.   I am due to have my second Docataxel next week - will ask for Nystatin as I had oral thrush and had to get tablets from hospital to treat it.  The worse side effect for me was bone pain, the hospital gave me Naproxen  I aim to be proactive before my next treatment, and start meds asap after treatment.    

Audrey

Suze65

Thanks Julia. I'm just about to have my second Docetaxol, so hope that - as in your case - it's not as bad as the first time.

Julia S

Hi All,

I've hopped over from the June 2016 starters discussion since I figured lots of you would be going through the joys of Docetaxel right around now. Just going to share three tips:

1. Clarityn for the joint pain. Get it over the counter, start taking it 2 days or so after chemo. It really helped for me (and lots of others).

2. If you're taking codeine or cocodamol for the joint pain, remember to take laxatives as well. Codeine-induced constipation is no joke, as I learned after my mastectomy.

3. Mouth problems: the steroids all by themselves cause oral thrush, so can ask for Nystan or similar. For my last chemo they actually just gave it to me then and there, didn't wait for it to get worse. I got thrush every single time on docetaxel, but the nystan made it go away within a few days.

The first docetaxel round was by far the worst for pain for me, which is not uncommon. The thing that gets worse is fatigue, though. Good luck to all of you,

Julia

madhatter67

Hi Everyone - it is very interesting reading everyones comments on the Doxacetol (cant spell!) drug as this one has really wiped me out!  As well as horrific bone pain, thrush I have been so tired this time!  Dint feel that I have had a good day so far!  It seems we are all suffering much the same with this one, I just would like to feel ok before next dose!  My Oncologist reduced the drug by 20% wonder if he will reduce any more? I know it all in a good cause and we have to go through all this to get out the other end, but I feel this one drug is more potent than the FEC!  Hugs to you all - Madhatter67 x

dianabrew

Thanks Alex2016, the peanuts were scrummy. At least I could begin to taste them, I'm back to everything tasting of nothing since I had my second docetaxel yesterday. No side effects yet. Still full of steroids. One of the nurses recommended that I take co-codamol from day three to combat the bone pain and the loose stools, and get piriton for the itchy hands and to help me sleep.

Oncewild, Go girl! I hope you enjoy the party tonight. X

Alex2016

Oncewild, glad you had a lovely outing with your Dad.... and he didn't even notice your wig lol, bless him.
Enjoy your party at the weekend and sure might as well give the wig another outing. Can't see me doing much partying lol 😳
Good luck for tomorrow. X
Alex2016

Dianabrew, sorry you've had a rough time in your first Docetaxol. It's absolutely the pits this chemo lark!
You enjoy your chocolate peanuts!
Good luck for tomorrow and fingers crossed the slightly lower dose helps x