1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2017 Radiotherapy

Saphire

Re: July 2017 Radiotherapy

Last one done, go to see the consultant tomorrow then back for review in 3 months.

I am very sore, tired and swollen but thats only to be expected, hopefully soon life will get back to some sort of normality I know its not going to be easy its been a very bumpy ride.

Big Hugs to all those still going through treatment,

Christine XXXXX     (I will still be here daily for a long while to come) 💝💝💝💝

welshlady66

Oh fee70 your going through it I had nausea and its not nice I also had really low back pain I do have osteo arthritis and I think it made it worse due to the awkward position they had me in, hope you get some relief soon x

welshlady66

I am going to ring breast nurse tomorrow as I thought the oncologist would have seen me in a couple of weeks to check how im getting on with the tamoxifen , I do feel a little bit abandoned, I am really sore tonight got the dressings on but it seems to be burning more with them on might have to stop using them it might be the adhesive on them my skin is so sensetive has anyone who has been sore used anything that helped as cant sleep because of the pain 

SandraSussex

I have an appointment 6 weeks after rads with my oncologist! I am hoping to get signed off before my holiday!

I am on letrozole week 3 so far so good! x
Fee70

Hi xx

Welshlady, I have already been booked an appointment with my nurse for September so 6 weeks after my radiotherapy to check on treatment and check how I'm doing on the tamoxifen .. saw GP and she's given me some new stomach tablets to see if I can eat any better, got blood tests to get booked tomorrow to see if I have that tummy bug, feeling pretty awful tonight between my stomach, my boob and this back pain .. I need to book in for a complete service I think .. I'd deffo not pass a human MOT right now😬😬

Fee xx
Fuertelover

I have a check up 6 weeks after rads, I think all hospitals must do it differently. I think you must feel a bit abandoned! I have only just started Exemasane!
welshlady66

Hi Fuertelover I wont have an appointment till next year until I see the surgeon again I was told in the radiotherapy unit, they said if there is any problems to ring the breast nurse just feels funny everything has happened so fast in and out of hospital then rads and now no need to see anyone till next year I am already on my Tamoxifen  x

Fuertelover

I think as long as you wash it off before rads, it would be fine, but have to say I didn't use it whilst having rads!
SandraSussex

Thanks ladies!

I have be told to use aveeno as a moisturiser! I will probably get some aqueous as well! I have pre warned hospital transport that if its hot I might get whiffy! Lol!

Silly question can I use perfume at the weekends? x
RunningMum13

Hi Sandra, I was given an aqueous cream to use by my team for moisturizing and showering with, but I know the advice differs between hospitals. I would check with your radiographers at your next session
Donna x
Fuertelover

I used deodorant all the way through, as long as it is aluminium free, I used Bionsen roll on & was fine! I also used shower gel in the shower. It was in the very hot weather & have to admit I apologised for if I wasn't as fragrant as usual, but no probs with deo or shower gel!
Fuertelover

Hi Welshlady

why won't you see anybody, sure I will have to come back with hormone therapy, but nice to pop in every now & again & see how everyone is getting on !

To all those on rads, promise time passes quite quickly once the second week is over ,

SandraSussex

Hi!

I know to avoid deodorant during rads but can I use soap when showering? x
welshlady66

Thank you Fee70 I had to have a plastic shell made as im quite big busted they took a plaster cast of my boobs, then from that make a plastic shell, they put it on when on the radiotherapy bed and it attatches to the actual bed so there is no movement its very restricting and a bit uncomfortable a bit like wearing a corsette lol, Just got to get through the next two weeks now as they said that is when the sweeling and redness will start to disapear and then healing should be complete in the following four weeks, what shocked me most is that I wont see anyone now until a year to the day of my diagnosis  which is febuary its like all the support I had has just been taken away feels a bit scarey, but going to try and move forward. Hope everyone does well with their rads will keep popping back and forth to see if I can help anyone going through the same x

Fee70

Hi Welshlady

I hope the pads do their job and help your skin, I'm also quite sensitive to certain pads and creams so I'll have to be careful. Good luck on your last one today. This might sound silly but what is your shell? lol I'm guessing it's something to do with your radiotherapy but I've not had anything like that yet.

Fee
Xxx
welshlady66

Thank you ladies everyone is different I started seeing changes after my third session,they have given me Mepilex pads to go under the breast they cushion and stop rubbing also they have stuff on them to heal the skin the problem is when I put them on I get really bad burning sensation so dont know if my sensative skin likes them I have tried to keep wearing them as the skin does look a bit better, but having really annoying shooting pains in the breast which keeps waking me up and also noticed my breast has shrunk quite a bit compared to the other breast so my bra is not sitting right, going to have a word with my breast nurse as I think you can buy shells which fit into the bra to even size difference out, last one at 10am and they are giving me a present I can keep my breast shell that I wear when having rads lol x

Fee70

Hi Saphire

Not long to go! I bet your counting down the minutes lol
Have you been given anything to ease the burning? I have to admit reading some of the rad effects is worrying me so much although I realise everyone reacts differently. I've only had 3 so far but noticed some breast changes already. I'm so happy your almost over with I can't wait until I can say the same but I'm only just beginning my rad journey. Onwards and upwards for us all xx

Fee xx
Saphire

Welshlady, you are beating me by one day,  I finish rads on Tuesday it cant come quick enough now  I am very sore with burning on the inside but nothing external apart from being swollen and brown, no sign of any blistering yet. 

Hope your blisters  clear up quickly and you can start to get back to some normality.

Good luck for tommorrow. 💝

Big hugs to all ❤️❤️❤️

Christine

welshlady66

Hello all had my last but one rads today one to go on Monday cant wait, well done to all those who finished their rads, my last few have left me feeling nauseous but think its due partly to having to wear the shell which is very tight now as breast has swollen and is very burnt and sore underneath and gone from pink to a light brown all over,they have been brilliant at the centre they have given me dressings to go underneath which burnt a bit at first but are okay now also skin has blistered a little I knew I would have problems skin very sensative cant wear plasters or adhesive pads for long or I come out in nasty rash, due to having fibro  and having lathargy with that I find im sleeping a lot now they said the next two to three weeks that the breast will swell more and to expect more blisters, but it will soon be over, on week six of tamoxifen and now the flushes and night sweats have appeared and joint are aching more but a small price to pay for keeping the cancer at bay Hugs to you all and Meri keep your chin up x

Meri

Hi all, just for info I have had bad reaction to rads, burns and huge swelling. I finsihed last Friday.

Have found Medihoney barrier cream and gel really helps. I use dressings but place tiny spread of cream on skin first, its very soothing and highly rated for burn and skin problems. It was reccoemded by another member thankfully so sharing here.

I had allergic reaction to adhesive dressings, so bear that in mind if dressing does irratate you.

I got larger cotton bras but have had to put bra extenders on as so huge.

Use pillow under breast for support when possible to ease pain.

Cool aloe bera gel in fridge before use, and I have found getting a cooling gel pad, wrapped in cloth so soothing over bra.

I use electric fan next to bed, rest breast on pillow and allow the air to cool and dry the skin.

Gives me some releif at night.

I was assured by Oncologist today swelling will eventually ease, skin will heal, I was so worried it was all due to cancer.

I so hope these things may help those who sore, it is depressings at times, such a long journey. But it does end and we will heal.

🙂

ladybowler
Community Champion

Diane

The  thread on there entitled progesterone assorted other hormones and fluffy cakes is a good one, we have a good laugh on there and provide support to each xxx

Fuertelover

Thank you so much Helena, much appreciated !  Appreciate all your help. Just started my hormones today, they have given me  couple of Acticool gel pads, so will eke them out! Otherwise it means phoning doctor , & waiting for the 20 people in front of me to go!

will keep looking at forum on hormone therapy.

Misha11

Congrats Diane. Enjoy those bells xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Diane

Sorry its late been bowling and then doing dinner, but I did not want the day to end without my ringing the bells for you, youve done thats it active treatment finished, well done you. remember to keep up your regime for the next two weeks and be kind to yourself.

Heres the bells for you ringing loud and clear

bell.jpg

Helena xxxx

Fee70

I started my Tamoxifen and I'm currently on day 29 I've had a few "off" days on it but apart from the severe constipation I'm experiencing it's been not too bad so far xx
Fuertelover

The only one I can take is Exemestane, only one that doesn't contain lactose! Thought I might take it after lunch & see how it goes. Hope you continue okay,love to know!
SandraSussex

Fuertelover

I started Letrozole a week ago and so far so good!

Sandra x
Fuertelover

Don't worry, I can'tsay you won't have any problems, but they are so kind & helpful in RT, you can ask anything you want. Also ask away on here & everyone will help as much as possible. I start my hormones tomorrow & not looking forward to that at all !
Denise1000

Hi I also start on 17th July x3 weeks of rads , 

dreading it in a way as when I had my slnb I managed to get cellulitis which was awful to say the least , 

fingers crossed I'm ok with the rads .... good luck to all the other lovely ladies 

Fee70

Hi ladies x

My first session is tomorrow, feeling really anxious about it to be honest xx
Fuertelover

Zoec

I have just had my last one this morning. I moisturised my breast from about two weeks after op, increasing the number of times to 2/3 as RT got closer. Also I have used both the moisturiser & pure aloe vera gel, whilst I have been having them . Also remember to drink lots of water! I was absolutely fine until last Friday, when I became tired & my boob came up in a rash, they gave me Acticool pads to put on & it has eased, they have given me a couple & said I can go back & get more anytime!  They are all very kind in the Radio Therapy dept & I have met & chatted to so many lovely people in the waiting room at Bracknell. Everybody reacts differently, hopefully you won't have any problems, good luck x

Zoec

Helena,
When do I put in cream. Got squirty new spray e45. After, before, after and before?? Do I need to get kitted out with anything else please?
Thank you in advance of your pearls of wisdom!!
Xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

welshlady

You are sooo nearly there mate, so close and there is light at the end of the tunnel, when you get to it there are some very big bells that are going to be ringing for you xxxxxx

welshlady66

I have six left, my husband has been brilliant he is always there for me, making sure I eat running me back and forth the hospital, he is so supportive x

Fuertelover

Welshlady

You must be dreading everyday, really for you, it must be dreadful, especially having to drink all the water, I must admit my bladder lets me down too! How many more have you to go ? Hope your husband  is okay at the moment & that you support each other through this trying time! Thinking of you & hoping you haven't got too many more to go.

Gentle hugs from Diane

welshlady66

Thanks ladybowler found fridays rads really hard it was longer as they were taking loads of images and developed a really dry cough, had a coughing fit when having my rads had to stop as my shell undid due to the coughing dreading tomorrow as I cant go more than five mins without coughing the amount of water im drinking as well my bladder is not coping with the coughing lol and someone asked about headaches I have a really bad headache about half hour after rads and feel nauseous I had my blood pressure checked as they were concerned and my bp also goes up then stedies again cant wait for it to be finished totally shattered all the time, but I have come a long way in a short few months x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Welshlady

Yay you are over half way now and we will soon be ringing the bells for you. You have been through the mill a bit with this and your other conditions but the light at the end of tunnel is starting to glow brighter mate.

Sorry cant help about the shell.  You are so right about the actual rads themselves are ok and I remember my rads team were amazing, giving me hugs when I just didnt want to do it any more because I was tired, down to me though working throughout them which I thought would be easy and having Colin at home with his MS, they were always there with a kind word and tons of support.

Helena xxx

Fuertelover

Do feel for you Welsh lady, do you use aloe vera gel? Found it to be very good at calming hot boob, especially if kept in fridge. Hope all goes well.
Fuertelover

I think the NHS have been wonderful all the way & cannot fault them. As well as all the great people on this forum.

Dianexx

WMJ

Hi all,

Anyone having headaches with rads? I seem to have a headache most days and also feel a bit nauseous. 

Thanks. Hope you all have a good day. I am off for number 8 of 20 this morning and am so looking forward to the weekend break. 👌😊 xx

welshlady66

Thank you for opening July thread, havent been on for a couple of days, My infection is clearing slightly but am finding it difficult due to fibro going into flare and arthritis in back getting worse I think it is the awkward way I have to lay in when having my rads, myboob is going a nice red colour and is hot I dont know if any of you have to wear a shell for your rads but everyday it seems to be getting tighter due to swollen boob and have come out in very itchy rash as well and the shoulder is really uncomfortable but having the rads are fine and the ladies and gents in the dept are great and very caring hope everyone is doing well another 7 to go 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Diane

Thankfully they have managed to find one though for you xxx

Fuertelover

Helena,the only one That does not contain lactose is Exemestane, which has taken a while to find, but I am picking up the prescription tomorrow. Looking forward to the bells.Hugs to you too xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

Oh you are on my list for the bells on Tuesday, although I will not be home til around 9 I am still going ring them loud and clear for you.

What hormone tablets will you be on.  I am on tamoxifen and on the whole it has not been too bad to be honest, some hot flushes during the day and a few achy joints but things seem be settling down now, I just think well it is keeping me safe so it is a small price to pay

Sending you hugs mate xxxx

Fuertelover

July 2017 Radiotherapy

Hi Helena, Thanks for setting up new thread, only three to go now & just to wish all the ladies starting in July all the best. It hasn't been as bad as expected , the tiredness hasn't been too bad & my boob is just a little pink, but I have slathered on aloe vera gel mainly, but with Epimax moisturiser as well.

I have met some lovely people on my journey in waiting rooms & in the Heatherwood hospital when I had my lumpectomy.

Now to start on the hormones, which is what I am not looking forward to, but heigh ho, sure the side effects can't be too bad !

Xxxx

Fuertelover

Hi Helena, Thanks for setting up new thread, only three to go now & just to wish all the ladies starting in July all the best. It hasn't been as bad as expected , the tiredness hasn't been too bad & my boob is just a little pink, but I have slathered on aloe vera gel mainly, but with Epimax moisturiser as well.

I have met some lovely people on my journey in waiting rooms & in the Heatherwood hospital when I had my lumpectomy.

Now to start on the hormones, which is what I am not looking forward to, but heigh ho, sure the side effects can't be too bad !

MandR

I start on 17th of July with 4 weeks. Will finish the day before I go on holiday. Hope all June ladies are doing OK xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

July 2017 Radiotherapy

Ladies

I have started a new thread for those ladies who are continuing into July with their radiotherapy and for the new ladies who will be starting their rads in July.

Hope you are all well.

Helena xxx