Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2017 Radiotherapy

Highlighted
Community Champion

July 2017 Radiotherapy

Ladies

I have started a new thread for those ladies who are continuing into July with their radiotherapy and for the new ladies who will be starting their rads in July.

Hope you are all well.

Helena xxx

97 REPLIES 97
Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

That is really spooky I was only thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you both were.

Thank goodness for that, it all sounds positive.  If it is colitis what is the treatment for that?

I am sure she will understand, there is only so much you can take at one time and with everything that was happening to you, how much of it was really actually staying in your system I wonder?

I saw my oncologist on Tuesday and he was pleased.  He did not seem concerned at all about the lumpiness in my scars and that he would see me in April next year, I should have had my first mammo by then but if I had not heard by mid March to call them.

Colin is ok, he has ok days and some not ok days, he is not going to get any better but hopefully he will not get any worse for a good long while.  It is hard to watch him sometimes struggling to get around.

How is Roy doing?

Know what you mean I did the same last year and things have been so much better on the whole this year

xxxx

Highlighted

Back in the land of the living again after colonoscopy, waiting for follow up appt, but the consultant seemed pretty sure it is microscopic colitis . It has improved & I am eating more, but very careful !

going to see my oncologist tomorrow, don't suppose she will be happy I stopped taking Aromasin , while I was ill & Roy had problems, will probably go back when my problem is better.

hHow are you now & your husband?

Think we are just going to write this year off, next year will be great!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

It has to!

Sending you loads of hugs

H xxxxx

Highlighted

Thanks Helena, funnily I hadn't worried about cancer, but may have been sub cosciously, so feel relieved, will feel better when I can take the medication to stop inflammation & diarrhoea & eat proper food!

Roy has problems with his stress cortisone now, it goes on & on, but must end sometime!

Diane xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

OMG thank god you got someone who actually knew what they were doing and recognised it straight away, okay you have to go the colonoscopy but it is treatable.  Darling you have been through so much thank goodness something is going right for you. 

We are always here for you

How is Roy doing?

Helena xxxx

Highlighted

Fee
If you have bad 'trots' like I have, go to doctor & insist they believe you & ask for something for the inflammation. Nothing worked for me, Imodium like sweets, nothing. Don't let it go on, only positive thing, lost a stone in weight! Xx
Highlighted

Diane x

Glad you are finally getting somewhere .. I'm feeling very fed up at the moment, called breast nurse today so I'm hoping she will return my call so I can go through with her how I'm feeling. So tired of feeling unwell 😞 sick of the sight of tablets that don't seem to help, my whole digestive system seems to be struggling in and out .. then to top it off I started bleeding today not heavy but need to find out if that's expected on the tamoxifen .. I'm also fed up listening to myself complaining lol xx

On the plus side I joined the gym and went twice this week and walked on the treadmill for a little bit .. they say exercise can help recovery so fingers crossed. Take care and I hope you get something to help with your symptoms xxx

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted

Just thought I would let you know, paid to see a consultant on Wednesday & he knew immediately what was wrong. It is the result of radiation & he has seen it lots of times before in ladies with breast cancer!  i had wondered, but when I mentioned it at the surgery, they more or less said no! It has been really bad & I am going in to have a colonoscopy today to look at the inflammation in the colon & they can give you medication for it ! Which I would have liked to have 3/4 weeks ago.

It is obviously not that common, so no one need to be worried, but if it does you will have to be very firm with your doctor.

Hopefully feeling better soon & friends on here & outside, I would like to say a big thank you.

love Diane xxxx

Highlighted

Thanks very much AnnieJ, I feel everything that could,  has gone wrong this year! We have also had to buy a new fridge freezer, dishwasher & breadmaker, which is going back tomorrow, as that also is faulty!

I think Roy & I could do with replacements too!

I have now got an appt with a consultant  on Wednesday, so will see.

hope your life is going smoothly xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Crikey, Fuertelover, sending big, gentle, hugs to you and hubby. Whoever let in your first foot needs sacking!! Best wishes for a healthier, easier, time. X. X

Highlighted
Community Champion

xxx

Highlighted

We are trying to get better!
Highlighted
Community Champion

DIane

Oh flippin heck Mrs, through the mill and back since you finished mate.

Sending you a hug and hope that it sorts itself out really soon and that you  and hubby are on the mend.

Helena xxxx

Highlighted

Just what I had in mind when we booked to go down to our caravan, not meant to be!

My husband had his hormone injection for his prostate cancer the day before we went & after one day, he became ill with bad nausea & he started having double vision, so I spent the rest of the week driving him to doctors & hospitals & then driving home, Think the stress was too much, since then had bad diarhoea for the past three weeks , been to doctors, spoken, but still with me, so making another appointment, now husband having to have a mass removed from pituitary gland. So absolutely no rest since rads! We will hopefully have a better year next year!!

not feeling my best. But good to get it off my chest! Love Dianexxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

tinkerbell

Hello 🙂 lovely to hear from you.

Oh excellent what a lovely way to spend your time recovering from rads.  There will be plenty of time to swim and sunbathe on another holiday I am sure.

Make sure you keep on moisturising and take in plenty of fluid especially if it is hot there to counter the dehydration.

Very envious, we actually have sunshine here in Birmingham today but it has been sooo wet this past week think we will need webbed feet soon

xxx

Highlighted

Thank you so much for remembering Helena! I'm now in Greece went straight on holiday. It's upsetting not being able to swim and sunbathe but I am loving the chance to relax. Hoping I might be able swim in a week. V sore still!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Tinkerbell

I think you finish your rads today, got you down as 18 August, not sure what time your apt is at and I am going to be out this afternoon playing in a bowls semi final so I am ringing the bells for you my dear

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Thanks ladybowler 😊 Feels odd - good but weird! Thanks for all of your support xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

KarenMc20

Congratulations on finishing your radiotherapy today, time to sit back relax and have you time, make sure that you carry on moisturising, keep your fluid intake up and rest.

Ringing the bells for you today xxxx

bell.jpg

Highlighted
Community Champion

tinkerbell

well thats the first week done 🙂  they do advise that you take in plenty of fluid, recommend 2 litres a day at least as this will help to counter the dehydrating effects of rads which can lead to fatigue.  I used E45 throughout my treatment, I was using alo vera as well but they asked me just to use the E45, moisturise 2/3 times a day to help keep the area hydrated, and above all be kind to yourself, if you feel fatigued, and you will know if you are, then just rest.

There is an August 2017 rads thread on now so you might want to go on there going forward as there will be lots of ladies who can give help and support to you and you will be able to do the same for those ladies starting after you.

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi welshlady,
So sorry to hear about your daughter's boyfriend & that she found him. It really does sound like she is in shock, which is wholly understandable & of course, you'll be there for her.
Heaven only knows why people do what they do, but it would seem he was in a place at that time, where he could not be reached.
love & best wishes to you both.
ann x
Highlighted

Hi everyone! Just done first week of rads, 3 to go. Just read I should be drinking more water! I did so much research before chemo (3 months taxol finished 6 weeks ago) I've been more relaxed about this. So far skin ok but are there any tips I've missed? Have aloe Vera and moisturiser.
Highlighted

Hope she releases her emotions soon, maybe she will at the funeral , I am sure she is appreciating your support , even if she doesn't show it. 

Hugs to you 

Diane xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

welshlady

Oh my dear I just wanted to send my love and thoughts to you all, thank goodness she has got you but please be careful as you need to look after yourself too xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Fuertelover yes its so sad im here for her but she has shown barely ant emotion its as if it never happened I think on friday the day of the funeral it will hit her,she wants to go back to her house but she keeps getting flash backs im so worried about her x

Highlighted

How sad, such a terrible shame, you will have to keep strong for your daughter, she must be distraught.

Highlighted

Fee I know what you mean my tummy felt like that it would be worse about two hours after treatment, under the breast is healing well but my scar under my arm keeps peeling and bleeding have had more antibiotics, sorry havent been on But its been so emotional this week my daughters boyfriend took his life and my daughter found him and im so worried about her as she is acting as if nothing has happened im sure she is in shock. so trying to look after her and trying to keep strong for her and everyone else is taking its toll im so exhausted I am sleeping but wake up totally shattered I hope allof  you are doing well with your radiotherapy I will still keep popping in to see how your all doing but going to be tied up for the next week x

Highlighted

Hi Karen,

Yeah my tummy been a bit off too, doctor gave me omeprazole to take twice a day but they didn't help. It's like indigestion but not acidy everything I eat makes me feel s bit quiffy.

Welshlady I do hope you start to feel a bit more like yourself soon xxx you do seem to be having a rough time of it xxxx

Fee
Xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Fuertelover I have fibromyalgia and get fatigue and lethargy with that so having the rads and the tamoxifen as well has wiped me out finding I need to nap in the afternoon and sometimes find it hard to motivate myself to get up, being in pain with the fibro and arthritis doesnt help and now they have upped my pain relief to help , getting there slowly but the doctor says because of my other health issues its going to take me a long time to get back to some sort of normality, or near enough to how I was before cancer x

Highlighted

Hi Fee. Day 2 was ok. I feel tired but I think it is emotional exhaustion from being anxious! My main problem is a funny tummy every day, presumably due to my tamoxifen. X
Highlighted

Hi Welshlady, poor you, sounds nasty. I was using Acticool pads at first & they were okay for a while, but found not putting any dressings on at night & bearing to the air seemed more helpful. Now 11 days after rads & very little problem at all. Although still got the rash & feels a little warm, much, much better ! 

Hope your weekend goes well & they can help at the wound clinic on Monday. How is the tiredness & fatigue?

Highlighted

Day 4 post rads and been awake all night with burning sensation it has been quite mild till now, I have really sensative skin and cant have most dressings as I am allergic, the dressing they gave me at the hospital mepilex and when I put them on under the breast it would burn for about half an hour, well this morning try to remove the dressing which adheres to the skin and the dry skin came off leaving raw skin and it bled the burning sensation was quite bad, rang doctor and she said to go down straight away,she told me not to put anything on it apart from gauze as it needs to breath and the doctor has given me antibiotics as she is worried cellulitus is coming back, got to go to wound clinic on monday to have it checked but relief since taking the dressing off the burning has subsided so looks like my skin dont like most dressings bar gauze lol, so hopefully now I will heal onwards and upwards hope everyone going through their rads are coping okay.

Highlighted

Hi Karen,

I've been ok so far, I feel a wee bit tired today not sleepy tired but like I've overdone it sort of tired. I've been getting a wee headache each day after my radiotherapy but don't know if it's just tension or if it's anything to do with the treatment, it's not a big thing just aware of it xxx

How are you getting on? How was day 2?

Fee
Xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Fee. How are you finding it so far? Any tiredness? X
Highlighted

Hi Karen,

I've been given Zerobase to use if I need it, I did ask about moisturising daily but because my skin is sensitive and I don't normally use creams I was advised to just see how I got on without it.

I'm on Day 7, tomorrow is 8 then weekend off 😀

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted

14 sessions + 4 boosts to go. It seems a long way until the end but hopefully I'll get into the swing of it all ok.
Highlighted

Mine are black! Keep applying E45 3/4 times a day, I survived until 13/15 before I had any problems at all,  then & since then have a red boob with a rash, I did have the Acticool that I was given, but hopefully now it is beginning to subside, still moisturising, but only 2/3 times now, seems to burn up more at night, am now RT + 10 days!

Highlighted

Well, that's my first session done and I'm duly equipped with a big tub of E45-type cream! My big question is how come everyone on here seems to get blue tattoos? Mine are red! I feel cheated 😂
Highlighted

Hi xx

Thank you ladies 🙂  Today went fine and i took the boys to the park when i got home. It was a lovely day here in Glasgow so they had a nice time running about the play area. 

Ive to have 19 in total, 15 to the whole area and 4 Booster sessions at the end, i need to go to a different treatment room for that as its slightly different and i dont need to hold my breath etc.

I hope everyone else is doing well?

Fee 

xxxx

Highlighted

Hello Fee, hope all is going well, how many are you having ?x

Highlighted

Mornings ng Fee, good luck for today xxx

Highlighted

Good Luck Fee!

I hope Day 6 goes well! x
Highlighted

Good morning everyone 😀

Just popping in to say a quick hello before I head off for day 6. Have a good day everyone.

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted

Thank you so much Ladybowler and a big Thank you to whoever created this forum, without it, it would have been a very frightening and lonely journey. You are all amazing, 

Lots and lots of Love and Hugs to everyone.

Christine 👩‍❤️‍👩👩‍❤️‍👩👩‍❤️‍👩👩‍❤️‍👩👩‍❤️‍👩. XXXXX

Highlighted
Community Champion

Christine

Woo hoo, you did well done and massive congratulations to you mate, I am so pleased and here are the bells for you,  I was hoping I would get home in time to send them before I had to go bowling xxx

Yep the next couple of weeks now carry on with the regime and make sure you get plenty of rest as you need it, your body will tell you when you need to rest.

These bells are ringing very loud for you

bell.jpg

Helena xxxx

Highlighted

Congratulations on finishing rads saphire xxxx enjoy some well deserved rest now.

Hugs and bells ding donging for you xx

Congratulations Saphire on compleating your rads mine finished yesterday, have had to stop using the dressings as I was having a really bad burning sensation I am now back on the Aloevera gel and its easing the pain all the best x

Highlighted

We hope to go to our caravan next week in Dorset,haven't been able to go there yet this year, where is yours? We downsized last year, so not too much to clean, although not done as often!
Highlighted

Fuertelover, yes you are right we do expect to much from ourselves.

I am going to relax for a few days in the caravan so I dont have to think about all the housework that needs doing. When I see doc tomorrow I will find out if I will be staying on the Anastrozol, the nurse thinks it shoukd be stopped as its not agreeing with me. I need to know all the risks of not taking it before I decide whether to stop it.

Hugs

Christine xxxx

Highlighted

Congratulations Rads are finished ! Just be kind to yourself, my breast is still quite sore, but only a week since rads, but think we all , being women, expect too much from ourselves !