352719posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July Radiotherapy Anyone?

Highlighted

Re: July Radiotherapy Anyone?

First one done and I have to say that I quite enjoyed it! How weird am I? I'm fascinated by all the machines and how they measure you up. And I'm sure they got fed up with all my questions.

Had to be re-tattooed as well as they could only find one of them!

Only 14 more to go!

Liz x

Highlighted

Wow fee that seems to have gone quickly. Probably hasn't to you but glad you're nearing the end x
Glad your eyes are feeling a bit better jude x
Lizzie hope all goes well today x
Day 6 of 20 for me today. Was quite nice to have the weekend 'off' but want to get on with it too.
Have a good day ladies x
Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow Lizzie-t! x

Nearly there judeworth! Phew! x

I am on number 5 tomorrow of 15! I finish on August 7 th then a months rest before my holiday....then back to work! xx
Highlighted

Hi Liz , I feel the same to very lucky to have had it fairly easy!
I to booked in for 15 no booster as not needed,
Radiotherapy isn't so bad I've been careful to moisturise and wear a very soft bra I start tomor on last 4 treatments, everyone is different tho!
Good luck hoe the three weeks pass quickly for you xx
Highlighted

Hello

I start my radiotherapy tomorrow. As far as I know it is for 15 days (see oncologist before radiotherapy in the morning). I've already been measured up and tattooed. Now I can't wait. I've had an easy ride so far with no problems after lumpectomy and just want this bit all over. Love reading about everyone else's journeys. You are all so inspiring.

Liz

Highlighted

Afternoon all xxx

Hope everyone is doing well! Not long to go Judesworth! I have 6 more to go, 2 treatments followed by 4 boosts. I'm due to finish on July 31st, still seems a long way away but I'm surprised how quickly the days pass and you realise your nearer the end than you think.

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted

Thanks MandR xxx

Slept really well last night they dont feel as bad today, roll on next weekend!

Hope you are doing ok to! Xx

Highlighted

Hi, not dry eyes but maybe a bit more blurry than normal. I got glasses just before being diagnosed so might just be getting used to wearing them all the time. Only 4 to go for you, yay x
Highlighted

Has anyone experienced "tired dry eyes" with rads? 

Got my last 4 treatments coming up next week, on the whole not doing to bad, a bit tired, hot boob but all doable! 

Feel ive been lucky! 

Hope you are all ok to xxxx

Highlighted

Linrowan congrats on finishing! My lovely radiographer lady has given me info on a course that macmillan run for when active treatment is finished. To help 'get back on the horse of life' is how she put it. It might be worth seeing if there's something similar available near you? Be kind to yourself xx
Highlighted

LinRowan,

Enjoy your weekend and congrats on completing your rads, enjoy those bells!!

Fee
Xxxx
Highlighted

Well done LinRowan! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

LinRowan

You've done you are there and the reached the light at the end of the tunnel, congratulations on finishing your rads today.  Go away now and enjoy your weekend you so deserve it xxx  The bells are rining loud and clear for you my friend

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I can only echo Helena and Ann-m - I was REALLY surprised  that instead of feeling euphoric after the last session of rads, I felt somehow low as though "is that it then?" and a bit thoughtful for a week or so afterwards. It is as others have said - we are so caught up in the round of appointments and surgey that we maybe haven't had a chance to process all the emotions and stuff since diagnosis, and then suddenly we have a bit more time on our hands. Although I didn't much like feeling low for a bit, I recognise it was an important part of the recovery process for me and that it would not have been as healthy for me to have been relentlessly upbeat and positive, as I had been up till then. And once you've had a spell of feeling however you need to feel, for however long you need to feel it, you'll find it passes. (Oh and by the way - mushy brain? Yep, even though I didn't have chemo I definitely had a few weeks of intellectual malfunctioning, to the extent that I did an online dementia test as I got a bit concerned....................! All part of the process I reckon)

All the best. xxxxxxxxx.

Highlighted
Community Champion

welshlady

Are you wearing a non wired bra?  The other thing to try is an M&S cotton bra vest top xx

Highlighted

Hi all sorry havent checked in but been back and forth for dressings and so on, 10 days post Rads still sore but new skin has started to appear and the intense itchin has stopped they said im able to start using the aloe vera gel again, the only problem I have is I am having problems wearing a bra my radiated boob doesnt seem to like having anything around it and after five minuets of having it on my boob goes bright red and comes out in a rash Hope everyone is doing okay with their rads 

Highlighted
Community Champion

LinRowan

As ann says what you are feeling is totally normal.  Remember you have been going to and from the hospital for so many weeks for this appointment but tomorrow you get your life back, end of active treatment, it is bound to be emotional.  I remember the day i finished mine I was absolutely walking on air until I was walking across the car park on the way back, I just burst into tears, I cant not understand why.

I think part of it is that we have been so wrapped up in hospital appointments of one sort or another for so long all of a sudden it is also a bit scary to think that is coming to an end.  Go away and really enjoy your weekend you will love it and it will do you the world of good

Sending you a very gentle but heartfelt hug xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Lin,

It's quite normal to feel like this after treatment, everything has been so full on & emotionally loaded for a while that it is sort of an emotional anti climax feeling when treatment ends. I remember feeling low afterwards, but it does pass. 

ann x

Highlighted

Only one more session to go. I should be celebrating, but i feel like an overwound spring - ready to cry at the slightest provocation, ready to bite the next person who tells me how well I'm looking... I'm sore, but it's bearable, tired but ok if i rest - but emotionally I'm a wreck. The plan is to go away for the weekend as soon as I finish my last session but I don't know what kind of company I'll be! And my brain has turned into mush; I can't make even the simplest decision without havering over it.

The team at JCUH, with only one exception, has been wonderful. I've been really well looked-after. I'm recovering. So why do I have to be in such a mess now, with the end of treatment in sight?

Sigh...

Lin

Highlighted

Morning all xx

Thank you, that's put my mind at rest as no one had mentioned a review to me so it came as a bit of a surprise. I will ask about the boosts on Monday at my review to make sure it's still the same treatment they explained at the beginning as I was told it had to be done on a different machine.

Have a good day ladies and take it easy xxx

Day 12 here I come 👍🏻

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies

Everything you are feeling is totally natural, itchiness, tiredness.  Make sure that you drink plenty of water which will really help with the dehydration which along with the daily grind of going to your appointment, which causes the fatigue.  I used to come home, especially mid way through, just sit there and all of a sudden my shoulders would go very heavy, the next minutes I was fast asleep for about 10/15 minutes and then I would be ok.

I had a review with the rads nurse twice during my rads, to be honest I didnt know until the day when I attended that it was going to happen which was a bit annoying because it just added to the time I was at the hospital, but it was very useful and she was able to give me advise/dressings to help if the skin started to break down.

I know it feels like forever, but you will all soon be through it and the light at the end of tunnel will be shining very brightly for you and we will be ringing the bells to celebrate with you.

Sending you all a gentle hug

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Surreyhillsgirl and Fee Thankyou! My birthday was quite emotional but ok! Weekend celebrations I think!

Today is another emotional one! Lost my dad 7 years ago! I have some lovely memories!

I have a review with a Macmillan radiographer half way through! I was told no boosts for me!

I am tired and only had 2 ! Had to have an hours sleep when I got home yesterday!

Good luck ladies! cx
Highlighted

Hi Everyone

Sorry not on forum yesterday, hope you had a great Birthday yesterday Sandra! 🙂🎂

Day 7 today and feeling SO tired.... maybe it's the heat and the travelling to and fro the hospital which is a long way! I have a nap on the sofa in the afternoons if I can.

I had a review last Friday Fee, one is scheduled each Friday.

xxx

Highlighted

Hi everyone xxx

Sorry I've not been on the last few days things have been busy and I seem to fall asleep in the evening before I'm ready to!

Sandra, belated birthday wishes, I hope you had a wonderful day xxx

Hope e everyone else is doing well and managing ok with the rads.

Today was day 11, I found out today my treatments have been changed for my boosts although I'm not sure why, instead of going to a different machine etc my boosts have to be done on the machine I get my daily treatments on ., I also received an additional appointment for a review which I wasn't scheduled for either .. anyone else had a review mid treatment?

Fee
Xxxx
Highlighted

Anyone else feeling a bit tingly? It's mostly around my scars but think it might be all in my head! Helena I did housework but it was v half-hearted 😉 it's a mess again already anyway so probably shouldn't have bothered. Off to watch/sweat/melt at daughter's sports day now. Am going to take lots of water with me. Big hugs to all xx
Highlighted

Thankyou Lizzie!

Day 2! Didn't sleep well ! So hot and sticky! Feel a bit muzzy headed! Get up and drink some water! x
Highlighted

Happy Birthday Sandra xo

Highlighted

Thankyou Helena and MandR xx

Luckily I had my first one today as fire alarms were going off thought we might have to be evacuated!

Feeling a bit a overwhelmed tonight everybody so kind! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mand

Sorry it is too warm and too sunny to do housework, it will still be there when it rains and you then cant enjoy the sunshine 🙂 🙂

Highlighted

That must be such a good feeling, I've got 15, had 8 as of today last one is a week on friday !

have you had many side effects, at the min im not doing to bad hope it stays that way! xxx

Highlighted

Someone give me a kick up the bum, I need to do some housework. Not that it will stay clean for long with summer hols starting from Friday! Xx
Highlighted

Happy birthday Sandra! Xx hope your first zapping went OK 😉 and if you're sharing cake, I'll have some! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sandra

Happy Birthday mate, I know rubbish starting rads on your birthday but you will be fine and can celebrate later.  Speial Birthday card for you

happy birthday.jpg

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Thankyou surreyhillsgirl x

Good luck today ladies! 🎂 Have a slice of my birthday cake to keep you going! xx

Day 1 I'm ready for you!
Highlighted

Sandra

Good luck for today!  Started my second week yesterday so five down, twenty to go! xx

Highlighted

Thanks lovelies. It went OK, 19 more to go!
Totally agree that getting out helps. I'm trying to walk each day and miss it when I can't. Look after yourselves xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies

on eof the things I found very useful whilst on rads and having started my tamoxifen was trying each day to get outside for a short walk, mine was over the xmas/new year break so a bit cold!!! but it really does help I think, but do not push yourself too far a nice gentle walk or even a little bit of gardening, which I still find very therapeutic on the occasional days that I get a bit of fatigue.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Good luck all of you xxxx

Im on my 7th this afternoon with a review so am going to ask why my ribs feel sore.  Pretty certain I know the answer! Has anyone else had it?  

Hope you had a good weekend and MandR I think the Letrozle make me more emotional to!  Managed to get in a long walk yesterday and feel that did me the world of good slept a bit better as thats not been brilliant either!

sending lots of love xxxx

Highlighted

Thankyou Helena! Kind as always! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mand

Good luck today we will soon be ringing the bells for you on 11 August xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sandra

Oh mate you will be fine, it is just fear of the unknown which is making you anxious,even when you get the reassurances from everyone on here you still have to go through that first one, but I promise you will be ok, then you will know exactly what will be happening and you will soon be the other side of it all xxxx

Highlighted

MandR

Good luck for today and all the other lovely ladies starting another week!

My turn tomorrow.....been a bit emotional this weekend I have to say! It's probably more the letrozole than pre rad nerves! x
Highlighted

Thanks fee x hope you're doing OK too xx
Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow MandR xxx I'll be thinking about you, I'm Day 9 tomorrow 👍🏻
Highlighted

My turn tomorrow. First of 20. Hope all you ladies are doing OK, roll on 11th August! Xx
Highlighted

Phew! Thanks glad about that ! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Judeworth

If you have been told you are having 15 then that is all you will be having.

When I was booked in I was told I was having 20 sessions, 15 of which were the regular rads and 5 were the boosters. 

Helena xx

Highlighted

Thanks Helena I'm booked for 15, I wish they told me about the boosters I've booked some time off work for 

when id finished or thought I had ! 

Was going to go away for a few days, I will ask on Monday thanks again xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Fee

I am so glad I was able to help and clarify that.  Yes mine was in a different room because of it targetting the site itself and they do not take as long as the regular ones.  I think I counted about 30/40 seconds in all once it started so in and out even quicker and NO delays which really helped with my patience at that time.

Helena xx

Highlighted

Judesworth

they did tell me I had 4 boosters to get at the end, I'm just taking whatever help I can get to try and have them get rid of this for good xxxx