352834posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July Radiotherapy Anyone?

Highlighted

Re: July Radiotherapy Anyone?

Sorry I've not been on this last few days, had a rough week but feeling more me today xxx
Surrey, belated birthday wishes hope you got spoiled 🎁🎁 xxx.

Sandra and Karen hope you are both doing ok too I have been using the gel and patches I was given and they seem to be helping the burning and itch.

Jude, congrats on finishing your rads and wishing you all the best xxx

Hope everyone is having a good weekend xx

Fee

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies

I have started a August Radiotherapy 2017 thread for the ladies who are starting their rads in August and if any of you want to go on there if your rads are completing in August.

Hope you are all benefitting from a rads free weekend as much as you can.

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Andrea

Have the exercises that you are doing after your op been causing you any problems/pain?

I really would mention to your rads team about the level of pain you are in just so that they know and see what they can do/advise about it.

Helena xx

Highlighted

Hi Andrea!

A friend of mine is suffering too! She had a whiplash injury a few years ago and her arms are causing a lot of pain! She was told to take painkillers before hand and some arm exercises.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! Just to let you know you are not alone!

Hope things improve! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh goodness, Andrea, sorry to hear you're going through this, have you told them about it? If not, then do tell the team before your next session. They should be aware, as this can be a problem & you may need additional support to manage it.  

ann x

Highlighted

HI Everyone

I have joined you all having radiotherapy a week ago, had my fifth lot this morning and I need some advice please

No one else has mentioned how painful it is staying in position with your arms stretched up above your head, I am finding it more and more difficult and today I almost screemed when it was time to take my arms down as they hurt so much I was almost in tears.  When I was first set up for the treatments my arms were put in that position and it was a stretch but not impossible but as the days have gone by it has become almost unbearable.  I havent asked about it because I assumed they knew it was very bad the way I was when getting off the machine etc...

can anyone advise .. is this normal do I need to ask to have my arms repostioned or have they got to stay like that.

I am taking Ibuprophen 30 mins before treatment and doing my best to warm up my shoulders etc before treatment but it really is getting bad now

anyone else having this? advice anyone please?

Andrea

Highlighted
Community Champion

surreyhillsgirl

Yep but you are so nearly there and you will be able to say "goodbye" to that trek 🙂

Well apart from the rain nice way to start your birthday celebrations, enjoy your meal and wine tonight.

Highlighted

Helena,

Thanks so much! Meeting such lovely ladies on the forum is such a boost when I'm getting fed up with the daily trek to and fro the hospital, especially on my Birthday! My husband took me to a riverside pub for lunch after my appointments though it rained, and will definitely have a glass of wine at the restaurant this evening ! 😀xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Lozzie. I'm still working while having radiotherapy, starting at 8 am and finishing at 2 rather than 4 as usual (as my rads is at 3). My boss is happy to give me flexibility. I'm starting to get tired though and at my review today was told that will build up over the next few weeks. I'm just taking it as it comes and working as much as I'm able to. X
Highlighted

surreyhillsgirl
Enjoy your birthday evening! 🍷🍴xx I have my review on Tuesday so will see if I need any creams! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Surreyhillsgirl

Not the way you would want to spend it having a rads apt but happy birthday mate, hope you are doing something nice later on

Helena xxxbirthday card 1.jpg

Highlighted

Have a great weekend off from appointments everyone xx

Highlighted

Thanks Sandra for your Birthday wishes! Had a review then radiotherapy this morning, X1 more then x5 boosts to follow, sorry you're getting skin & nipple reaction. Have they given you barrier cream or any dressings to prevent friction? Being taken out for dinner & definitely have a glass of wine tonight! xxx

Highlighted

I have just been told I will need to start Radiotherapy after two WLE High Grade DCIS,  Could anyone tell me if I can carry on working while having the treatment, as I have no sick leave left.  

Highlighted

Happy Birthday surreyhillsgirl! 🎉🎂🎈xx
Highlighted

Karen
My appts are at lunchtimes so mucks up the day really as I have an hour and a half trip each way! I am travelling by hospital transport as well as I don't drive. Will be nice to have a break this weekend! xx

Have a lovely weekend lovely ladies! xx
Highlighted

Hi Sandra, yes I'm starting to get tired too. I have my rads at 3pm, home by 4 then fall asleep! My nipple is getting red and itchy so I'm trying not to think about it! It's nice to be on the home stretch huh?! 😊 X
Highlighted

Karen!

I had my halfway today! Feel shattered and starting to get a bit pink! Nipples going black as well!

Onwards and upwards! xx
Highlighted

Passed the halfway mark today. I thought I'd feel happy but instead I feel drained! oh well!!
Highlighted

Well done Jude!

The road is long but the journey is over! 😀 Hope you get chance to celebrate 🎉 xx
Highlighted

Well done, Jude xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jude

The bells are ringing very loud for you mate, well done and heres to getting your life back again xxxx

bell.jpg

Highlighted
Community Champion

Fantastic attitude to it all, Jude, says it all really 😎

ann x

Highlighted

Thanks, great advice,  I'm self employed so have worked when i can through this but now am no longer tied with hospital appointments I have booked a good few days off, phone going on do not disturb and emails will be out of office! 

Learning curve for me work to live not live to work from now on xxx Its good to be alive ladies ! And Ive never appreciated it more xx

Highlighted

Well done Jude😀Big hug xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Great Jude - another hurdle over! Don't rush to "get back to normal" (I did, and then had to resume my afternoon naps as I overdid it!!:) Keep drinking the water, have little (or bigger if that's what you normally do) walks and kip whenever the eyes strart to droop. Remember that surgery and rads take their toll on the body however fit we think we are. I was far too "gung  ho" about the whole thing from diagnosis, through surgery and to end of rads, but then sort of slumped after the rads finished as all the active treatment was done and i felt a bit "flat" and "lost" for a week or so, so don't be surprised if that happens -apparently it is very normal and  all part of the recovery process I think. Great not to have the treck up to the hospital every day isn't it? All the best. xxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Feeling very giddy last radiotherapy done! I feel like i can start to get back to normal now, hoping I dont get to bad side effects on going but what will be will be I will go with the flow.....

wishing you all the best love Jude xxx

Highlighted

Fee, a big hug and hope today is better for you.

Radiotherapy changed my appointment again due to broken machine, grr😢

Wishing everyone well xx

Highlighted

Oh fee, sending a big hug. I simultaneously feel dread at walking into hosp and wanting to get in and get it done. Xx
Highlighted

Thank you all I'd be lost without you xxx
Highlighted

I had a break today as the machine was being serviced! Number 10 of 19 tomorrow though so that's my halfway point.
Re. crying, I keep waking up at 5am. I was watching Eastenders on iPlayer on Monday at 6.30am and just started crying. Now, Eastenders can be depressing but this was ridiculous! I think it was just the start of another week and feeling trapped by this new routine. I still think I'm in denial a bit about why I'm having to do this every day! I'm feeling brighter at the thought of my halfway point. Meanwhile I think I'll go on Dragon's Den with some sort of advent calendar for radiotherapy to help us all count down the days and give us a bit of chocolate 😀 X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Fee

It is perfectly normal as it is the culmination of the rads and travelling to/from the apt every day but it wont be long before you are finished and you dont have to go again xx  i remember the one day just bursting into tears at my session, saying that i didnt want to do it any more as I wanted my life back, the lovely nurses just got me tissues and gave me a hug, they totally understand what you are going through

Sending you a hug

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Judeworth!

Well done and good luck for tomorrow! x

Fee!
I hope your feeling better now! I was the same yesterday....appt half an hour late just wanted to get in and out! Anxiety monster hit and I was mopping up my tears!

MandR

I was told my machine had broken but actually got in 3/4 hour earlier! Machine fixed and I was on my way home!

No 8 tomorrow.....over half way! xx
Highlighted

Hi all xx

MandR yes it does seem to have gone by quickly I hope you are doing ok too xx
Only 3 to go now 🙂

Judesworth, thank you I'm ok, I hope you are well too xxx

I've had a bad day today, I don't know why if I'm honest but I've so many outbursts of crying today, not like sobbing but just tears streaming and I can't stop .. hormones maybe, tired maybe I don't know I just know I feel silly, the tears were streaming down the sides of my face today as I lay getting my treatment, I could barely answer the nurses when they spoke to me. One of them did ask if I was ok but all I could do was nod and say yes .. was too scared to make a fool of myself. Cried in the waiting room, I just wanted to get up and leave .. I have just wanted to hide away today, struggled with the kids trying to keep a face on .. sorry just want to say how I feel and hoping it will help me snap out of it .. tomorrow is a new day xxx

Fee
xxx
Highlighted

Hi All,

The radiotherapy machine broke down again so got a call telling me I was cancelled. I was disappointed as just want to finish, and was cancelled the week before last due to machine breakdown too. 

Anyway thankfully she said come along anyway as they don't like to cancel patients twice 😀

I just want to get it all over with as getting so tired with the travelling to an fro. It's my birthday on Friday and have an Oncologist review just before the radiotherapy. 

Judeworth - wishing you well for your last one tomorrow 😀xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Judeworth

They can do but just make sure you keep up your regime of moisturising, fluid intake and listening to your body when it wants to rest and you will get through it xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Helena xxxx

feel kinda giddy that its my last one tomorrow, they have told me that side effects will probably get worse over the following weeks before it gets better......

I know my ribs are blummin sore!

Fee hope your ok ! Xxxx

Highlighted

Lizzie maybe stock up on aloe Vera gel or something you can put in fridge to help soothe. I'm sure other ladies are more knowledgeable than me about what might help xx
Highlighted

Hi, lots of you finish the day before me! Think of me on the last Friday 😉
boob is OK, scar and nipple area bit sensitive but feel a bit bruised too. Under boob and across the top where the lump was. Probably just wearing the wrong kind of bra or something. Do feel bit knackered too in the afternoons. Luckily it is summer hols so my other half is off work and can help entertain our 6 year old.
Fee you've done so well. Tearful ladies sending a hug to you. I feel like I cope OK with things but once I'm at the hosp there's no escaping it. Take care xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Judesworth

Woo hoo last session tomorrow and then we will be ringing the bells for you mate

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hi everyone

Session no.3 this morning. Very red and tender breast already. The radiographer was surprised that I was showing signs of treatment so early. Hope it's not going to get a lot worse!

Liz x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Karen

Mine was like that from about the same point but it is still with me and has settled down totally now xxx

Highlighted

Hi all xx

Hope everyone is doing well 😀

I was given some gel and pads yesterday to use and hopefully calm my skin down a bit. My boosts have changed as they need to reach deeper into the tumour bed so at least I know why it changed.

1st booster tomorrow 😬

Take care for now

Fee
xxx
Highlighted

Sandra,

Yes I finish like you on 7th August! xx 

Denise, you also finish same day as us, it will come quickly now we're all on the last leg of the journey!

Best of luck 🙂xxx

Highlighted

Denise 1000

I was tearful this morning....I finish the same day as you! I have an hour and 10 min drive by hospital transport each way. I just want to back away from cancer but confronted with it everyday!

Take care xx
Highlighted

Hi , I finish my rads on 7th of august , so far so good waiting for the fategue to kick in I guess , I have started to feel strangely sad , I don't know why ..have felt positive and strong up until today xxx

Highlighted

Today was number 8 of 19 for me. I'm wondering how many more I can do before my nipple falls off 😂 It's a tad delicate tonight! When I was on #1, #8 seemed a long way away...but #19 seems an eternity away right now.
Highlighted

Surreyhillsgirl

Are you finished on August 7th the same day as me?
xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Cor ladies I am going to be doing a lot of bell ringing over the next couples of weeks for you lovely lot.  You are nearly there and the light is getting so bright now you will soon be the other side of it.

I will start an August 2017 Rads thread at the end of this week for those ladies who have started but will be continuing through into August.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Afternoon everyone,

You're on the last 'lap' Judeworth, not long now! Well done xx

Lizzie good you found it so relaxing. It's nothing like as difficult as chemo. 

Fee - you'll be finished before me. I'm halfway today. 10 down and 10 to go - 5 Rads & 5 Boosts. All good so far.

Good luck ladies! 🙂