Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July Radiotherapy Anyone?

254 REPLIES 254
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: July Radiotherapy Anyone?

Densie

Not sure which thread you are on but I think you finished rads yesterday so I am ringning the bells for you.  Take care of yourself of the next couple of weeks and you will be gine

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

Highlighted

Thank you Helena and fee x how are you now fee? Hope all you lovely ladies are doing OK xx had a wet day today but Scotland is stunning whatever the weather. 6 year old daughter is loving it, especially because she succeeded in skimming stones into/over the Loch. Happy days x
Highlighted

Aww brilliant MandR xx I hope you had a lovely time and congrats on finishing your rads

Fee
Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mand

Oh what a way to celebrate finishing your rads and a little belated but the bells are ringing for you.

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

Highlighted

Hi, sorry, I went straight from last rad session on Friday into the car to travel from Essex to Loch Ness. I have patchy Internet on my phone here but have finished radiotherapy 🙂 thanks for all your support. Boob is sore and red but could be much worse. Being in a lovely cottage right on the Loch is helping lots. Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

MandR

I think today is your last rads sessions?  WHat time is it at so that we can ring the bells for you

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Surreyhillsgirl!
Fantastic! We can countdown together I am going on holiday on September 10th as well! xx

Fee
Thankyou xx

Lizzie
It won't be long until you are out of the other side! xx
Highlighted

Sandra - we've finally booked our holiday!! 😀A week in South Devon, so looking forward to it. Bring on the 10th September! The weather may not be the greatest but just looking forward to a change of scenery and doing some South West coastal path walks.xxx

Helena - thanks for ringing those Bells!! So glad we're through it now. It will be odd in a way not seeing the RT team every day and in a way I'll miss them. xxx

Fee - thanks so much xxx

Lizzie - thanks. All the best for your planning meeting xxx

Highlighted

Well done ladies xo

I finally have my planning meeting on Monday - it's been a long time coming!  You must be so glad to be out the other side - take care and enjoy xo

Highlighted

Congrats on ringing that bell ladies xxxx

Now time to rest up and treat yourself to some you time xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Denise1000

I think you have finished your radiotherapy today so I am ringing the bells for you tonight, well done make sure you continue moisturising, fluid intake and listen to your body.

Helena 

bell.jpg

Highlighted

Helena

Thankyou so much! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

SandraSussex

Whey hey youve done it, all finished no more back and forward to the hospital, time to relax, keep moisturising, fluid intake and listen to your body when it rells you to rest.

Heres the bells ringing loud and clear for you my dear

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

surreyhillsgirl

Yay, wow wow thats it, well done no more trudging back and forward to the hospital  Make sure you keep up with the moisturising, fluid intake and listening to your body.  Heres the bells for you mate ringing loud and clear,

bell.jpg

Helena xx

Highlighted

Hi Surreyhillsgirl

Well done to you too! 🎉🍷👋🍾 We did do it! xx

I took some biscuit treats for the RT team who were all very professional.

MandR

Thankyou and wishing you all the best! xx
Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

Well finished today so no more daily 26 mile car journeys! All the staff have done a fantastic job so took in 2 boxes of chocolates and a card. They're always ready with a smile and so kind. 

I haven't had any skin reaction so far but my left boob was very itchy yesterday so the aloe vera gel out of the fridge was a relief for a while. My nipple got quite red too so applied some Intrasyte Gel to it, it's a barrier gel I was given at one of my review sessions. Worked a bit. I found driving a bit difficult due to the position of the seat belt so wrapped a towel around it to cushion my boob - I may have got some funny looks!

M&R - thanks and all the best to you.xx

Sandra - we did it!!! 🍰🍾xx

And to anyone else who finished today.

Anyone who has any questions I'm more than happy to help if I can.

xx

Highlighted

Ladies who are done today - yay! You made it xx
Highlighted

Sun and Radiotherapy, can I recommend a product Heliocare 360, its a factor 50 but does not have chemicals in it to be a factor 50 not many SPFS around that can say this! 

And I know it works, 

Holiday insurance.... you really shouldn't have much of a problem I've been speaking with my insurance this   week. Mines not effected at all with the what I've gone through.  Hope you all find the same ! Xx

Each and everyone of you guys are such beautiful souls, supportive and thoughtful and I I have appreciated it so much over  that last few weeks xxxxx

Im one week post last treatment still itchy skin, used calomine lotion and its helped loads, my skin has gone noticeably darker, I'm moisturising and taking care of my skin the best I can! 

xxxx

Highlighted

surreyhillsgirl

One more sounds good to me! Being able to arrange other things seems exciting....going to have some long cuddles with my new grandson. I only booked my holiday a few weeks ago through Easyjet holidays and it was quite reasonable but we are only going b&b!

Helena
Thankyou! Will have more time to look into insurance cover x

Have a great weekend ladies xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ladies

for those of you considering taking hollibobs, lucky lot :), if you go to the Travel, work and finance on MOving Forward after breast cancer section, there is a lot of information from the ladies who have already been investigating travel insurance post bc.

Gosh we are really going to be busy on Monday ringing those bells 🙂 🙂

Have a good rads free weekend but remember keep moisturising and drinking plenty of fluids xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Sandra,

Well we've only got one more to go, yipeeee....!

Andrea, hope you've been coping ok with your shoulders and no more stomach cramps. 

Helena thanks for all your support so far, it's so good to have a forum like this.

As Helena says, if you haven't been told you'll have electron boosts by your Oncologist in advance then you won't have them. They aren't automatic, just for certain patients who in their particular assessment would benefit, there's strict guidelines issued by NICE if anyone wants to look them up!

With all the rain we've been having I've been looking at holidays in Cyprus too, but this late in the day they are very expensive, not much hotel availability for full or half board, plus we can only go when my husband has booked his annual leave. Feeling quite envious now of you ladies going to the sun!!

Have a great weekend off everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hi Andrea
When I had my review with the Macmillan radiotherapist she said to put factor 50 on....I said should I wear a t shirt and was told only if I was burning! I have olive skin and have not been affected too much by radiotherapy so I have been lucky.

I am going to get insurance when active treatment is over as I think it is cheaper. A friend told me to try Eurotunnel even if I'm not travelling with them.

Hope the tummy holds up tomorrow and you have a pain free day! xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Andreaj

You will have been told at your appointment with the oncologist prior to the planning meeting if you were having rads.  I was told I was having 15 regular and 5 boosters, dont know how many you are having but I think the usual is 15 regular rads xxx

Highlighted

Hi everyone another session done over half way through now

surreyhills girl Glad your shoulder is all healed, I found out today that I need to be careful about my tummy with painkillers, took ibuprophen paracetamol and codened full dose one hour before radium and it worked really well, I could cope with the pain and I thought I had cracked it ... until I was driving home and the stomach cramps started !! oops I will have to eat more with the pills or something... it was still worth the stomach trouble mind you

Hope the boost went well, I dont even know what boosts are no one has mentioned them to me. I wonder if I have had them or will have them. 

Glad they havent changed my appointment times around it would cause me real hastle if they did as I am working around my treatment

Mandr Im curious about the boost too as no one has mentioned them to me.

sandrasussex were you serious about them saying you can go and get some sun? they told me I would have to avoid the sun like the plague for at least two years,, I had visions of having to learn to live underground or something!

surreyhillsgirl I have been having odd itching here and there over my body not just around the treatment site, I had thought it was down to skin changes maybe down to the new anti hormone pills An..zol or something

Since some of you seem to be planning lovely sounding holidays, can anyone tell me if there is much problem getting insurance when you have had cancer to go on holiday I had assumed it would be rediculously expensive?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sandra

Oh thank you so much that is so kind of you to say, I am glad I have been able to help and support you xxx

Highlighted

Helena

Thankyou! What a support you have been! Always there for everyone!

You are one in a million! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sandra

And you my dear we will be ringing the bells loud and clear on Monday for you.  Meltdown is totally understandable and quite normal it is the whole thing of going through it every day but you are sooooo nearly there xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Karen

So waiting to ring those bells for your next Wednesday mate, well done, the boosters are a lot easier and quicker xxx

Highlighted

Hi Karen!

Well done not long now! 😀 I have 2 to go!
It is a strange feeling....I had a major meltdown on Monday when I got home, cried and cried but just cracked on the next day!
My skin has held up really well....I am so lucky!
It's nearly Friday ladies the weekend is on its way! Phew! xx
Highlighted

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Finished my 15 sessions and just my 4 boosts to go. I feel excited and happy at the thought, but anxious too. This whole process involves emotions not previously experienced!
Hope everyone is doing well - keep applying that ointment!
Highlighted

Surreyhillsgirl

I am glad you have something to look forward too! I think we all need to recharge our batteries.
I am going to Paphos,so starting to look forward to it now rads are coming to an end! Xx
Highlighted

M&R - yes the actual boost was quicker, no breath hold, but as my Oncologist is on holiday another Oncologist was covering for her.  As she had never met me she wanted to see me and then decided on new markings on my breast and a different angle for the boost, so with waiting for her to arrive and examining me in the MRI room and explaining etc then waiting for a machine to be free it all took about 45 mins I suppose but they were wonderful & made me a cup of tea while I was waiting! I'm sure it will be a lot quicker for you!

I didn't mind waiting and re-doing it all if it means I get a more precise boost! So 4 more then I'm finished 😀xx

Jude- I took antihistamines too for the itching, it was mostly my head and arms, the radiotherapists didnt think it was anything to do with rads as it's so localised to the breast. Anyone else had it I wonder? xx

Sandra, we've decided to go on holiday to Devon in September. We weren't originally going anywhere this year as didn't know how I'd be feeling  but need something to look forward to. You'll enjoy Cyprus, we stayed in Paphos. xx

Highlighted

Judeworth!

I haven't been before but have been told it's beautiful! I am going on September 10th for 10 nights. xx
Highlighted

We go to Cyprus in September to! Xx
Highlighted

Hi All!
I had my review today and was told I might be a bit weepy, a bit pinker the week after treatment finishes.
I was also told to go on my holiday to Cyprus in September and have too much sun, too much to drink and lots of fun!

Good luck tomorrow ladies...number 12 for me! xx
Highlighted

Surrey how was it having boost today? Was it quicker? I've been told I won't have to do breath hold for boosters which will be good.
Hope all of you are doing OK. Glad your arms aren't giving you too much grief today Andrea x
Highlighted

It's like a heat rash only really come on since I finished on Thursday so taking antihistamines for it they are helping a lot, and the tiredness I think is because I'm starting to relax! Xx
Highlighted

Hi All,

Fee, what a wonderful surprise your family gave you! You go and enjoy the freedom now your treatment is over! 

Andrea, yes my shoulders totally healed up thanks. If you take Ibuprofen constantly just be sure to take it with food as it can cause tummy upset. Also don't use Voltarol and Ibuprofen at the same time as they're both NSAID's and you'll be overdosing!  I know it's only for a couple of weeks but better safe than sorry! Hope it's more tolerable for you. 

Judeworth, I had itchiness too but not a rash, I've had three weeks now and get very tired but no other side effects yet other than left breast a bit pinker.

Liz, I've been swapped around a fair bit by my radiotherapists, today is afternoon now rather than morning and       the machine has broken down twice so been postponed. 

Had 15 rads and today is my first boost - apparently it's quicker! 

xxx

Highlighted

well thats number 6 done and dusted, the pain was easier today, not great but not agony, I took Ibuprophen and paracetamol an hour before and stretched last night and this morning like crazy.

One of the radio team said to me that it might be worth taking Ibuprophen constantly at full dose for the days that I am having treatment because that way they work better as they build up and since it is only for a couple of weeks it should do no harm...sounds sensible so I will do that too

Surreyhillsgirl thankyou for all that info, I do suspect that there has been some damage to my arms at some point that limits movement though I suspect it is a very old injury probably dating back to a crash when I was in my teens ..Im in my 50's now so a looooong time ago lol

I will mention it to my GP when I go next and will try the volterol too .. thanks Gill I hope your shoulders are working better for you these days

Fee Congratulations .. let real life begin again 🙂

MandR yup it was a bit easier today hope your day is going well what ever you are up to 

Judeworth sorry you are feeling itchy and tired what day are you on please? Im wondering if I am getting away with the sore skin that some get Im day 6 and have just had a wee bit of itching fingers crossed..toch wood ... find a rabbits foot .....:)

Have a good day everyone XXX

Highlighted

I bet that was a lovely surprise Fee, family mean such a lot ! Would have been much harder to get thro this without their support.

im a few days ahead of you, got an itchy rash & still feeling tired but that's about all I feel lucky not to have got bad side effects, hope you do well to xxxxx

Highlighted

Thank you everyone Xxx
Highlighted

Well done Fee!

Time to start living again and enjoying a full life! xx
Highlighted

Ah, fee, that's lovely. Glad you're being spoilt. Andrea hope it went OK today. Day 6 already liz 🙂 xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Fee

Oh what a lovely surprise and a lovely way to celebrate the end of your rads xxx

Highlighted

Well done Fee. Enjoy your freedom!

Session no. 6 today. Had to go in late afternoon instead of first thing in the morning and it really threw me! How quickly you get into a routine.

Feeling very uncomfortable already but the skin seems to be holding up well. Early days!

Liz x

Highlighted

Helena ... yes my last one was today .. my daughter wanted to go for dinner to celebrate but when I got there my whole family were there to surprise me .. I was in bits but feel so lucky to have them all. I will be around for the foreseeable future and am grateful to have had the support of you and all the other wonderful ladies on this forum and I will do my best to help and reassure anyone who is also In need of support for as long as I can xxxx

Thank you so much xxxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Fee

Have you finished your rads today, I have note that it is so the bells are ringing for you now

Helena xx

bell.jpg

Highlighted

Hi Andrea

Just read your post about your painful arms during positioning and wonder if you've ever had a past shoulder injury like arms being over extended suddenly? Several years ago there was no way I would have been able to stretch my left arm up & back over my head as I had a rotator cuff injury (a tear in one of the ligaments/muscles that surround your shoulder joint) and I had two steroid injections over about a year. I had an MRI as an X-ray doesn't pick up soft tissue injury.  Wear and tear of the shoulder joint can cause it too and as the blood supply in that area isn't great it takes a long time to heal. I had physiotherapy too as had impingement of the joint. It would be worth going to see your GP and asking if you could have it investigated further. In the meantime try rubbing in some Voltarol Jel beforehand as it gets straight to the area. It's a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Best of luck

Gill xx

Highlighted

Hi All ,well thats the weekend break done and back to the daily treatment again tommorow, hope everyone had a good weekend.

Ann m thanks for the kind words, I am going to talk to the team tommorow before treatment, I have no idea if they can do anything but I cant just keep taking the pain and not tell them.

Sandra sussex Thanks for letting me know about your friends situation, it does sound as though I will have to just stick it out from what you say, but as you say I know now Im not the only one, gritting their teeth.

ladybowler The exercizes post op have been fine, in fact I have been surprised at how much flexibility I had and felt quite fortunate to have very little pain in the area considering.  On reflection I have always had some difficulty getting my arms up and back above my head but it has never been a big deal until now.

I will certainly mention the pain I am having keeping in that postion to the team tommorow and will be sure to take Ibuprophen before hand, Im quite tempted to take codene as well but Im not sure if that is ok with having radium? I will have a google and see if I can find out

Not sure if this is just is about the radium but I am getting pretty itchy these days, not just near the site being treated but I seem to be tickly here and there all over my body from time to time, no rash or redness ...even wondered if its due to the Anastrozol they started me on three weeks ago...there seems to be plenty of se associated with that so not sure what is doing what just now ??

Highlighted

Hi Fee!

Glad your feeling better! Feeling tired today but number 10 tomorrow! Creeping towards the finishing line.

Enjoy the rest of your day! xx