cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July Zappers

131 REPLIES 131
Tussie

Re: July Zappers

Riversidedawn, good luck with the job hunting! I went back to work for the first time in almost four months last week and it was all good.Only went in for a few hours a day mind you. Semi retired in November last year and got the BC diagnosis two months later so never had a chance to get into a routine with work/ more free time on my hands. I plan to change that after rads are finished in one and a half week.

Pinkbaglady, your Guernsey lunch sounded amazing, what a great idea! Enjoy France! xx

Pinkbaglady

Yes, it's great to be getting back to normality again. It was a rather exhausting day but such fun too! I've never ridden a horse! Good luck with finding a new job. I'm glad I don't have to cope with that. 

riversidedawn

Oh my, pinklady, that sounds like an exhausting trip. I've been horse riding today - about the 4th time this year! And we did jumping - first time in 11 years!!! So pleased to be getting back to normal. Next step is job hunting as I was made redundant mid chemo!!!
Pinkbaglady

Hope everyone is doing well.
Hope the holiday was good riversidedawn. 5 sleeps till I go to stay with my friend in France now!
I had a 'little' day out yesterday. I treated a friend who has been a huge support to me ever since my diagnosis last November. We left my house at 5am yesterday morning and arrived back at 12.30am this morning! We had a very nice lunch in Guernsey!! Such fun! Little bit tired today!!
Have a good weekend everyone.

Maria_B

I've got a distinct rectangle shape which is a different colour. Hope it doesn't tan. I'm bluey white everywhere else...

Whitejasmin

Welcome back riversidedawn, hope you had a lovely time and are nice and relaxed after your break. Joyce X

riversidedawn

Just back from Cornwall. Breast and neck very itchy but we survived! Put factor 50 on plus a scarf and floppy hat! What has surprised me is bright red burn along the collarbone and how brown and splodgy my back and between/under boob!! Finished rads 2 weeks ago tomorrow so hopefully that's it!
Maria_B

Tussle, it was amazing.  There is a great atmosphere.  I have started to get a bit tired, and was surprised when I stripped off tonight for number 10 to find my boob was a bit pink.  It wasn't this morning. Slapping on the cream  

familytree

Hey ladies its August.. come and join us in there... I can't keep up! 

lol xx

Tussie

Maria, been to Cambridge Folk Festival a few times but it was about 20 years ago!! OH still goes most years but gave it a miss this year because of my BC treatments. Lovely atmosphere there what I can remember, glad you had a nice time.

Started week three of my radiotherapy today, no problems so far. Had a busy weekend and I think it catches up with you as I just crashed out for two hours this afternoon! Still after effects of chemo I think.

Hope you all are doing ok xx

Sharnie

Can't help with the rash but I think the rads make your skin extra sensitive - I would just keep covered up and mention it at your next rads session. Enjoy Joan Armatrading - takes me back! X
Maria_B

I've had a lovely 3 days off to visit Cambridge Golk Festival. They kindly organised an early one on Thursday then a late one Monday after I've driven back.  

I am am a bit tired but it might be down to stress on an unrelated matter.  However, I have developed an allergic rash on both arms. Yes ARMS!!!!

started as a little patch on each inner forearm (where I spray perfume?) now spread to all arm areas and antihistamines and hydrocortisone cream having zero impact.  Any tips anyone?

Off to sit in the sun, covered in a lot of clothes and listen to tunes. Joan Armatrading later. Excited!

Sharnie

Glad I have a day off today! Went out early evening to see a movie last night but struggled for the last three quarters of an hour to keep my eyes open! Went to bed when I got home at 9!! Woke up several times with hot flushes though. Going to have a slow paced day. Am off for a surprise hen do this afternoon - it's only afternoon tea so shouldn't be too tiring! It might involve a glass or two of bubbly so that should help with sleep tonight! Enjoy your Sunday everyone. Xxx
familytree

Hi everyone

I am lost on this site and leaving posts all over the place.. probably in the wrong section! 

Anyway I am at Preston hospital for 15 rads. Had six already and happy to have 2 days off! It is painless but as someone said, very sci-fi and takes a lot of getting used to before you can relax. I have had no problems up to now. I am tired but I was before I started! lol 

Preston ahve been great with free parking permits, drinks etc. I have had no delays although I know someone has. They give you a gown to use for the duration also. I can't believe how damn busy the place is... 8 macchines 50+ people a day on each one. I'ts an eye opener isn't it.

Wishing you all well 

Love Lorna x

Sharnie

Feeling better today and more positive - it's August and the end of treatment is getting nearer Smiley Happy Have a lunchtime appointment today which is a bit of a pain - kind of messes the day up! I will be glad when I don't have Saturday appointments - for some reason I miss Wednesday's and go Saturdays - which means I don't get a two day break Smiley Sad The sun is shining today as well - maybe summer has returned! Hope to do a bit of cycling this weekend. Have a great weekend everyone! X

Sharnie

Have a lovely time in Cornwall Riversidedawn 🙂 think it's meant to be getting a bit warmer this weekend. I had number 8 today, 15 still to go! Felt quite rough this afternoon, had to go to bed after work today. Hope this doesn't last 😞 Didn't expect to feel this shattered yet. Early night in order tonight I think, hoping I will feel better tomorrow.
riversidedawn

Hi ladies. Down in Cornwall on holiday, got WiFi for the first time since Friday!! Finished rads about 10 days ago. Collarbone is bright red like a burn about 3 inches long, my neck looks like sunburn and is peeling. My boob is all patchy brown, pink and white and very itchy underneath and in between the boobs.

Covering up with scarves and although sunny its not too hot for covering up x
Sharnie

I've had seven sessions now and am starting to feel a little sore - we have had no sun so haven't had to worry here - in fact it felt like autumn today! Sorry to hear about your burn Maria. My nipple is getting very tender so have reverted back to wearing soft sports bras. I mentioned that I was feeling a little sore and the radiographer just told me to make sure I keep putting lots of cream on. I'm using aqueous cream as am allergic to E45. I have a day off rads tomorrow as am going Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week I don't know why this is, it's the same next week too but at least I don't have to get up quite so early tomorrow. I'm struggling with tiredness which I think is the Tamoxifen. Good night all xxx
Maria_B

Well done Sharnie, that is brilliant xx

I think I'm getting some skin things. Last weekend I reacted badly to some sun block I slapped at the top of my chest not realising they are irradiating right up to my collar bone. Today I've got what looks like a cigarette burn on my breast. Wasn't expecting that....
Pinkbaglady

I'll raise a glass to you when I get there then, Whitejasmin!
Whitejasmin

Should remember that pinkbaglady I'll be finishing my rads as you'll be jetting off for your holiday. X

Pinkbaglady

Well done Sharnie! That's brilliant! Hope you feel better soon.
It's 15 sleeps now Whitejasmin!
Hope the rads are going well for everyone. Good luck for when you start tomorrow Whitejasmin.
Whitejasmin

Oh well done Shanie. I'm hoping to hold something in October with the choir I belong to. How many sleeps now pinkbaglady won't be long now it'll be here before you know it. Xx

Sharnie

Hi all hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was a bit emotional as I held an afternoon tea for breast cancer care and think I've raised around £900!!!! I was so overwhelmed by it the tears came out! I've not cried once since my dx in May - had to come out sometime! Feeling a bit rough today - not sure if I have a water infection as been getting pain down below - hope it's nothing more serious - may be a trip to the gp tomorrow. Rads still going ok - getting a little sore now so have got my soft sports bras back on! Hope your rads are going well xx
Maria_B

First week over. No noticeable side effects. Skin may be a little drier but I may be imagining it. I'm not doing breathing techniques. One of the radiographers explained that they bend the beams around the chest. I'm having a 30-ish second blast from one side, then the beam gets focused through a smaller aperture (I watch it adjusting out of the corner of my eye) and they zap where the tumour was for about a second, then they swing the machine over and zap me from the other side for another 30-ish seconds. I've had different radiographers nearly every time, but all of them have been very kind and pleasant. Also apart from the first day, they've run on time apart from one day when it was about 10 minutes late. They have wait times posted in reception which helps. Honestly I would say that it's been absolutely fine. I think the Leicester Royal have done their very best to make it as good a patient experience as it can be
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hello ladies I am due to start rads in 3/4 weeks time at Preston,my tumour was on left side.I asked Radiologist about effect in heart/breath holding.She said that they don't do that at my hospital.She said research re damage to heart was done a few years ago and techniques have become a lot more sophisticated so that they position really carefully and avoid exposing the heart as much as possible.Does seem odd that some hospitals do this and others do not or is it connected to position size of your tumour?
as much as possie
Sharnie

First week of rads done - three and a half weeks to go. Was weird going on a Saturday as not many staff around or patients! Feeling a little bit tender today, maybe I will try aloe Vera as well as my aqueous cream. I'm still feeling really tired not sure if it's the tamoxifen or rads! Have been busy baking cakes today as I'm holding a strawberry tea for Breast Cancer care tomorrow - just praying for good weather! Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!
takeadeepbreath

Janie I'm about to start on the 29th at Preston so thanks for the advice. I just want to get it over with and expect the worst thing will be the boredom if there are so many delays.
missmore

Thanks shell
we give the unit a call next week, I've had the tatts done last week and no breathing was mentioned at all, wondering if the position of the tumour has anything to do with it, mine was at 5 o'clock as you look at it
sheena
Shell68

Hi Sheena

i had my rads in June and had the breath holding malarky! This should be done during your planning as they measure you breathing normally and then when you hold your breath. Apparently its to give our hearts more protection due to where there zapping.

During treatment I had to wear glasses with a screen showing your breathing pattern moving up and down.   When the time time came to hold my breath I had to get a line into a box at the top of screen and hold it there until told to relax.  All went smoothly and during this time you are zapped.  if you release your breath or cant 'breath into the box' the zapping stops/wont start.  Lasts a max of 30/40 secs.  

If you have boosters at the end you dont do the breathing tech.

Hope this makes sense

Shell

janie4

Hi ladies, I've just had no 8 of 15, right side so no breath holding. Interestingg reading how hospitals differ! I'm at Preston who give you a gown to take home & bring in each day & it gets thrown away at the end. They give you a free car park pass for the duration & free drinks from the lovely WRVS-run coffee bar. Worst thing for me has been the waiting time, which averages about 45mins-1hour and the travelling, so makes it a long time for a short zapping. However, each visit is one step nearer finishing! They don't mind about deodorant - one of the radiographers said that they'd done research and found that it made no difference. Just very slightly pink around my scar and slightly itchy tonight, but slapping on aqueous cream & aloe vera like it's going out of fashion!  I actually found the most difficult thing when I started was the mental effects, probably with everything starting up again after a break. I feel ok this week now I've got used to it. Hope all you lovely ladies are coping ok with the treatment and side effects and good luck to those of you about to start.

Sharnie

Hi Sheena sorry I can't help re the breath holding as mine is right side. Hopefully someone else on here may be able to help! Good luck xxx
missmore

Hi July ladies

I'm starting 6th August,  left side rads, any advice re this breathing malarky? No one has mentioned it to me yet!

Sheena x

Sharnie

I might give the tomato juice a go and see if it helps! Feeling exhausted tonight, think it's lack of sleep catching up with me. Have been working today after early zapping this morning - going to have an early night. Lunchtime session tomorrow and first week will be complete 😃 hope everyone is feeling ok and have a good weekend. I'm holding a strawberry tea on Sunday for breast cancer care so hoping the sun will come back by then!
takeadeepbreath

Sharnie yes I too have to get up in the night with hot flushes. It's a pain. Have you tried a glass of tomato juice twice a day? That can help according to research.
takeadeepbreath

I am just being lightly toasted on the right side so don't have to the breath hold. I feel like I got off lightly.
Whitejasmin

After a really restless night have decided to give in and get up. There's only so many games you can play before you get fed up. Looking out the bedroom window it looks quite cloudy and overcast here, hope it's gonna be a nice day. Good luck to all you lovely ladies having rads today. Looking forward to next Wednesday when I join you. XX

Whitejasmin

Last choir practise tonight until September broke up for the summer. Hopefully we'll have one. Felt emotional tonight as everyone was wishing me good luck for my treatment. Feeling as if I'm not gonna get much sleep tonight. Hope you all sleep well and get a good night. Night all. X
Pinkbaglady

That's awful to have to cancel appts due to lack of parking spaces!

I haven't had any reactions or side effects with the Herceptin so far. Yesterday was no 6. I still have a couple of chemo-related side effects but nothing too horrible. I am rather anxious about seeing my dentist at the beginning of August though as I think I have some dental problems caused by the chemo. Fingers crossed they are nothing too major!
Tussie

Hi Pinkbaglady! Well done you and enjoy your holiday in France, you deserve it. I am also on Herceptin and have had five injections so far. Have you noticed any side effects at all from the Herceptin? I asked the oncologist but she said all side effects I had were due to the chemo and I haven't got over the chemo yet so just interested in your experience.
My hospital don't use hospital gowns for radiotherapy, was just asked to put something easy on like a shirt when undressing, I suppose make it less "hospital like". Was given a little slide sheet to bring to all appointments. Have to pay £3 every time for parking, that is if you can find a space! Spoke to a fellow patient yesterday and he said he had to cancel several appointments and just go home because he couldn't find a space, now that's not on in my opinion.
Have a good day ladies, off to my third session soon xx
Pinkbaglady

I finished rads yesterday. I was going to do the happy dance and celebrate but I was far too exhausted after 3 Hpl appts! My heart scan was fine so able to carry on with the Herceptin.
Have a fab holiday Riversidedawn.
Takeadeepbreath, my skin is pink but not sore and I was told the same as Riversidedawn re skin care.
I had a gown everyday. I think it would be far more sensible to be given one for the duration as you are only in it for such a short time and then it goes to be laundered, doesn't seem cost effective to me.
At RUH in Bath I had tickets for the car park machine that I had to pay a £1 a day for but then could park as long as needed.
I wish I had known you could ask not to have the tattoos but it's done now. Only one of mine is annoying me. It's in the cleavage area and looks like a blackhead!!
20 sleeps till my holiday now, not that I'm excited or counting down or anything!!!!
Sharnie

Not given a gown - just have to use the lovely ones which are provided - like a huge flowery tent! I was given another appointment sheet, they have altered several of my appointments - slightly annoying! I had no problem parking yesterday as it was early, bit later today so might not be so easy. At my hospital you pay for three lots of car parking then after that it's free. I may not have to pay if it's under half an hour as first thirty minutes are free. Slept a little better last night but keep getting up in the night with hot flushes and needing to have a wee! Think it is the Tamoxifen as I never needed to get up in the night before - anyone else have this problem? Good luck with rads today xx
riversidedawn

I didn't have a gown.
Maria_B

White with a blue square motif. Like a DVF wrap dress....
Whitejasmin

Yes I got mine. We could start a new fashion trend. Mine is blue/white stripe. X
Maria_B

Hi Whitejasmin and all. Parking wise I was told if I can find a space in Leicester Royal Infirmary car park I may get away for free because there's no charge for up to half an hour. However I feel the chances of finding a space are slightly smaller than spontaneously growing a replacement nipple.

Today was fine. I was early but I was seen a bit early and it was over in under 10 minutes. Has anyone else been given a gown to keep for the duration of RT? I was quite excited.
Whitejasmin

Hi All, hope you are all OK. 

Riversidedawn great news that you've finished rads all the best.  All the best for tomorrow Sharnie, sounds as if you did to much on your bike-ride.  Take care. 

Maria B when my daughter-in-law was back and fro the hospital for her treatment she was given a parking permit so she didn't have to pay. Mind I suppose it's a lot to do with what part of the country you live in, but it'd be worth enquiring about.  Have had a sort of half and half day one minute feeling really good and the other can cry at the drop of a hat.  x

riversidedawn

Sharnie, Tussie, well done for getting your first out of the way, it goes so quickly you won't believe it! I finished today, 15 sessions, very sci fi Sharnie - I had to wear snorkel type thing, nose clip and goggles to monitor my breathing and hold my breath whilst zapping to protect the heart..... all very odd, but at least I have learnt a new skill as I was never able to snorkle before because I couldn't breath through my mouth!

Welcome Takeadeepbreath - does that mean you're doing the breath hold too? As everyone says, it's a doddle after masectomy, recon and chemotherapy, I'm very very tired and have been on sleeping tablets and anti-depressants since March. Still not sleeping very well but anti-depressants seem to be taking effect.

Apparently the affects of rads continues for 2 weeks so my pinkness and freckly mottled neck will continue to get more and more like sunburn... lovely for my hols in Cornwall this weekend! My hospital use E45 cream some others recommend aqueous cream, Pittrock deodorant crystal as you can't use normal stuff with aluminium in it and no shaving your arm pit - so attractive!!!!!

Keep going girls x

Tussie

Riversidedawn, you must be so relieved to have come to the end of the radiotherapy. Is this the last of your treatments done now? x

Sharnie, it's good to get the first session out of the way, mine was yesterday x

Takeadeepbreath, welcome to the July zappers, hope you will have an easy ride x

takeadeepbreath

Hello everyone

I'm starting rads on July 27th so wondering what it will be like. I've got 3 weeks and have stocked up on cream as I hear skin problems can be bad, especially afterwards.