375703posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

June 2016 starters?

Bottyboo

Re: June 2016 starters?

Hi lovely ladies. I've been reading but haven't been able to post. My son Robbie, is 24 and severely disabled. At the minute he is in hospital with aspiration pneumonia (he was on respite care whilst his new room and wet room were built - they didn't recognise the signs, there will be a complaint and he will not be going again!) We spent last night in resus and the medical assessment unit. Now on the respiratory ward. I always stay with him so had no sleep last night and chemo number 3 this morning. Had nothing to eat between breakfast yesterday and breakfast today. Right out of the window for 2l of fluid day before chemo.
So sorry about the me me me post. Just wanted to vent xxx
Belle

Good luck for today Marjie, hope it goes swimmingly!

And I'm so pleased all went well this time, T!  I know you're not out of the woods yet but it's really good news to have had one dose.  Is your next one next week?

B x

T

Morning,

Morning after my second attemp  - tried the T on it's own this time and it was ok - yay! They don't want to risk the FEC now incase I have a cardiac arrest :-0 i'ts not plain sailing is it!! Won't know for sure until the second T they say as it may recognise it and react!!! fingers xd again x

Good luck today with your treatment Marjie x

Hope you all have a good day

Big Hugs x

Marije

Hello ladies,

I have had a lovely holiday in the Highlands. No internet, so I feel I've missed a lot on this thread!

Felt really good, went sailing, horseriding, walking etc. My hair did start to shed loads a few days ago though! Even though you know it's coming, it's quite disheartening isnt it. I have my second FEC today, and going to cold cap again... 

Because I was on holiday, I decided not to fast this time round, so it will be interesting to see if I feel any different. But then, I'll probably get stronger anti sickness medicines etc, so who knows..

Even though the holiday was lovely, both my boys were poorly, and kept us up at night, so I am seriously sleep deprived (not that I've felt anything else these last few years, haha). But now with the chemo I so wish I could sleep longer than a few hours each night! There is not a moment in the day I can rest. Cancer never comes at a good time, but I do feel it couldnt have come at a worse time... The first few years with kids are challenging enough.. 😞 

Anyhow, it's all temporary! Let's hope so anyway. 

Xxx

popkit50

Thanks Belle for your recommendations!

I had a much better night last night. Saw a doctor yesterday and got more Lansoprazole so I can take one in the evening too and that seems to have eased the indigestion already.

I hope everyone has a good day today. 

xxx

Belle

Hi Popkit50,

Really glad you're going to be getting some lanzoprazole and gaviscon is a godsend!  I have a history of acid indigestion that predates chemo and take meds regularly for it.  My top tips (beside take all the drugs you're prescribed!) are the following:

• avoid fatty food, especially butter - dietary fat can slow down gastrointestinal muscles
  • melons (especially watermelon) and coconut water are fabulous for soothing that horrid acid feeling.  Fruit is generally acidic but these are not.  Aparently  bananas are also good but I hate them so can't speak from experience!
  • avoid fizzy drinks - even water.  The bubbles 'burp' the acid back into the oesphagus.
  • go to bed at least 2 to 3 hours after eating, that way your stomach is empty.  If lying down still causes problems, consider raising the head of the bed or using extra pillows to wedge yourself more upright.
  • tea and coffee are gastric irritants so limit or avoid them.  Herbal 'teas' are better, especially camomille and fennel.  Ginger or peppermint are great but don't drink them to excess otherwise they will cause the problem.
  • Milk can be helpful but I haven't found it so
  • Ask for help as it is a miserable thing and so painful and much can be done to alleviate it.

Hope that helps

B x

popkit50

Sue and Flopsy

Thank you both for advice re: indigestion. I have called chemo ward and they said to go to doctor who can prescribe more lansaprazole so I can take at night time too. Also told I can take Gaviscon when needed during the day. Which I have done now and it's easing off a bit. 

Thankfully feeling less dizzy after this 2nd dose of FEC. Might be because they've reduced the amount of steroids - they made a mistake last time and I was told to take double!

Hope you have a lovely day. 

Belle and Sue your pictures yesterday were both amazing. xxx

popkit50

Hi Flopsy

This is really helpful to hear re: hairloss. I'm day 3 of second cycle of FEC mine only started falling out on Sunday - day 20 of first cycle. Used cold cap both times and I'm shedding quite a lot. I will use CC again but am already looking quite thin. I had thin hair to start with which doesn't help a lot. Glad to hear there is less hair loss with the T as that is what I am having for last three cycles. Reckon I've lost 30% so far. 

K xx

Flopsy

Hi Anon15,

It could be a slow or long process sadly (hair loss). Some people seem to lose the lot quickly but mine (using a cold cap so could explain why) had been in stages of a few major hair falls on FEC and now just a little shedding all over each day on T&H.

My worst hair loss was the first wash after my first FEC. My hair had turned into a hard, knotted, brillo pad by tne (had previously been very oily but FEC stopped all oils).

I've lost at least 60% of my hair even using the cold cap each time. 

In the end I may lose the lot, It's hard to tell and I have 2 more T's to go. Less hair loss for me on the T compared to FEC though, 

Flopsy

Hi popkit50,

I was told to take either Zantac (generic Ranitidine) or Gaviscon for heartburn. Ended up with both and alternate them when needed

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi again Anon16,

The hair.... is not a question of hours or days - it is a different process for all of us.

My guess would be with your scalp feeling the way it does, that your hair folicles are starting to shut down, well most of them anyway. You may experience more shedding of hair initially over a day or two and when you go and wash it - you may loose quite a lot. Now, past 3rd FEC still have some clinging on - so it does not appear to go in one big shed. I had two major 'shedding' events.

I wish I was there in person to hug you as it can be such a rotten time to go through.

Some of us are surprised that the 'hairless' look really suits us and brings out our eyes (windows to our souls) and other facial features, which we had not even noticed before.For some it is a real challenge and wigs, scarves and other headcoverings help us deal with the visual impact.

It will grow back! At a gues little comfort at the moment - but it will.....

Belle has a fabulous blog - and covers her journey with the diminishing hair on this link - https://gettingabreastofthesituation.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/hair-soup/

Huge hug

Sue xxx

Anon16

Sorry Sue I could reply to your message.

I had some stuff from the nurses for heartburn so definately give them a call

So my hair has started falling out. My scalp is on fire and its like the hair isn't attached to my head anymore. I'm trying not to touch it at all - ladies how long do I have, hours / days?? I'm feeling pretty emotional and unprepared for the hair loss 😞😞
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Popkit50

Oh dear - yes, it can be challenging - the best option would be to immediately ring the chemo helpline number you  should have.

They are the best source for knowing what may help you quickly.

Yes, there are over the counter remedies - however the severity of this ought to be taken into account, so your meds can be adjusted for the next round.

Let us know how you get on.

Hugs

Sue xxx 

popkit50

Morning all

I've woken up this morning 2nd day post 2nd FEC with horrendous indigestion/heartburn. Any idea what I can take to ease it? I've taken my lansaprazole tablet as usual but it's not helping yet. It hurts so much I don't feel like eating. All I can manage is hot drinks.

xxx

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Millasmummy,

I am using my laptop, so not sure whether you do - and whether it looks the same, if one does not.

It would be great to see some pictures - hope below helps - attach picture.JPG

Hug

Sue xxx

AngeNut

Girls you look AMAZING!! We are just drawn to your beautiful smiles and lovely eyes!!

I do like the fringe and wondered how it would look! 

Ive done 13 days of FEC #1 and at the moment feel great apart from evil cramps in my thighs yesterday, which apparently were side effects of the πŸ’‰ which I finished last Saturday. 

Anon - your boss is out of order and that is bullying - he is putting guilt on you NONE of this is your fault! 

Millasmummy

Belle and Sue you look fab in your scarfs, I need to put in some practice with scarfs. I really am not bonding with my wig or hats. I prefer the bald look (my husband does too) but not brave enough to leave the house like that yet X
Millasmummy

How do you post photos please? I might be brave enough to to post πŸ™‚ x
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Anon 

I'll pm you  

Hug

Sue xxx

Anon16

Im sorry to hear some of you are struggling,sending you all virtual hugs.

I'm day 15 after first fec and no hair loss yet. Loving your looks below, you definately rock!!

I know I've said it before but anyone elses work serious suck since you started treatment. My boss has taken legal advice and still says he may need to replace me and I need to consider using my holiday to cover my absence. I've agreed to that for the next two sessions. Today he starts going on about how he can't now have a holiday and is stressed and tired! I've not taken a single days holiday this year and now I'm using my holiday to cover feeling unwell and HE's stressed!!!😞😞😞😞
Belle

Thanks Sue & Emma,

The fringe behaved pretty well.  Definitely a much cooler hair option than a wig but still warmer than just a scarf or going bald.  However, it was so good to get out and I felt completely normal & secure wearing it.

I'm definitely noticing the tiredness more this cycle but I guess that's only to be expected.  On the whole, this cycle has been a vast improvement for me as I've had no nausea - woo hoo!!  But my oh my, the tirednes!  Like you, Millasmummy, I've also ached more.  I'd put that down to post surgery stuff as it's on the side of my reconstruction but you've not had surgery yet, have you?  My knees are also killing me.  Eating wise, I'm not craving anything particularly this time (cheese scones last??!) but I am desperate for protein.  And I can go from not hungry to starving in about 60seconds and my tolerance for waiting for food is zero.  I'm finding I have to eat immediately so I'm grazing a lot.  I guess the protein is all about the cell rebuilding that's going on so that can't be a bad thing.  We won't mention the ice cream πŸ˜‰

Hope today's been a good day,

B x

Emma111

You look amazing Belle and Sue, enjoy your day xx
On a diversion

Looking good Sue!! 

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Belle,

you look absolutely fabulous! I am being treated, too! Lunch out with my paramour on this bautiful day..day 6 post 3rd FEC.

060716.jpg

Hug

Sue xxx

Belle

Morning all,

Feeling so much better this morning - isn't it amazing what a good night's sleep can do?  I'm about to go out for the first time since Thursday & my second FEC so I thought I'd experiment with my fringe.  Since I now don't seem to be able to contemplate stepping out of the door without a full face of slap I thought I'd show you the difference.  I'm hoping I'll pass for relatively normal - well, normal as I ever do πŸ˜‰

Photo on 06-07-2016 at 11.15.jpgPhoto on 06-07-2016 at 11.29.jpgPhoto on 06-07-2016 at 11.36 #2.jpg

It's a first outing for the fringe, so I'll let you know how it goes.  Have to say, so far it feels ok.

B x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your thoughts - no not really a washed out feeling for me. It is really difficult to describe.

It is not like feeling ill at all - fuzzy feeling in the legs, no strength in them - no energy what so ever - feeling of helplessness initially and frustration - but once used to it and accepted - knowing it will pass - quite relaxing and simply doing nothing at all - and not even trying to do anything either.  Now so much better and looking forward to a gentle lunch out! Still 'weak' but now know how to pace my movements, which helps a lot. Mindfullness seems to spring to mind - listening to your body and working with it, rather than against it - not making or trying to make it do things it is simply not able to do.

Hugs

Sue xxx

sonyacheet

Hi ladies.
Emma111 I agree. I am 11 days post first chemo and my hair started to fall out in strands the day after and have since then lost little bits. It's all I think about and am wondering when it is going to go. I'm still not sure whether to start wearing my wig or a headscarf yet. My hair is very fine as it is and I had 10 inches cut off at the start so it's in a very short bob. My head is itchy but not sore.
Sue thanks for the link. I will definitely be having a look.
Sonya xx
Emma111

Thanks Belle, my 'low' day is over and feel 'ok' today, such a nice feeling after yest. Hope you are feeling much better today and you managed your gin.

Millsamummy, hope the aching has eased.

Sue, the cumulative effect of fatigue sounds really unpleasant and glad your energy levels are returning. Was it a 'washed out' feeling? Glad it's improved today.
Hope everyone else is doing better today.

I had my hair cut short last week and I'm day 14 in and not a single strand gone yet and feels strong at the root which in a way is frustrating as just want it 'over and done with' . I'm already wearing headscarves to forget about what may or may not be underneath. Is the head horrible to feel when it's gone? I'm still freaked out by it xx
Tinky

Hi T -have just had my second FEC.  As others have found, my hair came out from day 17 after first treatment. I didn't shave it at all, but as it was short, I got my control over it by taking out handfuls 3-4 times a day which seemed to save it dropping everywhere!   Now hair loss has definitely slowed down & I have a little covering still.  All the best x 

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi sonyacheet,

so glad to read you are finally feeling better! - Amazing what the little adjustments in our personally tailored meds can achieve! It does make it so much easier for us to cope, doesn't it, even if we 'rattle' with the amount of tablets we have to take. Thankfully it will not be for ever.

As to BRCA testing - you may wish to download and read this publication, which is available on this site - 

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/breast-cancer-in-families-bcc32

and then make your decision. Should the gene be present, it might be a very wise thing to do, especially if it has been suggested to you - although some prefer not to know. And it is a very good idea to have the counselling - I am sure it will be very helpful in making the right decision for you and your daughter.

Hugs

Sue xxx

sonyacheet

Hi ladies.
Just been reading back on your posts. I'm doing a lot better now all my medication has kicked in. I'm no longer being sick all day and the heartburn has gone. It's just a shame I'm taking so many pills to feel like this.
I had a call from my hospital to see if I want to be tested for the BRCA mutation. Does anyone actually know what this means and does it affect my daughter in any way? I know I can pull out at any time but am interested to see if I have the gene. I'm going to St Marys to have some counselling then will have to sign up for it with my hospital.
Love to you all xx
T

Thanks Tinky x How far into treatment are you?

It's such an individual thing but like you I want to look more like me than a patient:-/ i just don't think I could 'rock' the shaved look like SUE - who looks amazing by the way and not like a patient at all x very jealous! I will check out the websites thanks x

Hope you all manage to get some rest x

Millasmummy

Hi Emma and Belle, sorry to hear your feeling rubbish, I know our treatments are the same dates Belle. And my day 4 and 5 and today have been worse than the first few days post 2nd treatment. My appetite has gone, I want to eat but don't know what? Literally don't know what I want until I start eating it. Have felt very much in slow mo the last couple of days to. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day for everyone. Also have aching and feeling of tenderness and a bruised area around shoulders and neck. Bloody SE's! Xxx
Belle

Hi Emma,

You're certainly not alone in this and it is a horrible horrible feeling. It is very definitely a side effect and it will pass but it is horrible to endure. I think my lowest point was when i realised my tears tasted chemical!

Today I feel like the bus I've been hit by has reversed over me a few times and then come to stop directly above. As well as gravity pressing down on me, I have this huge heavy metal bus just inconsiderately sitting there!

But it will pass. Meanwhile, there is Wimbledon. And the promise of gin when all this is over πŸ˜„

B xxx
popkit50

Hi Rosie

Thanks! Anyone being positive about it is helpful. I think my oncologist was so negative it made me doubt my decision to go ahead with the CC. 

Glad the sun is shining now and hope everyone has had a good day with minimal or no side effects!

xx

popkit50

Hi Flopsy

I'm home from my second FEC and I did cold cap. It wasn't quite as painful as the last time so maybe the painkillers helped a little. You're right it is the amount of extra time you have to spend in the chair that makes it harder. Hopefully the hairloss might slow down a little now. How short is your hair? I had mine cut into a chin length bob before the first chemo and wondering whether to go a little shorter now. 

Good news re: PIC line - I'm booked in to have one put in before the next chemo session at the end of the month. It will be such a relief. They had trouble canulating me again today which is always an extra bit of stress you can do without. 

Talking of stress, our new neighbours have started major building work next door so resting is difficult. Really bad timing.

How many T sessions have you got left?

Popkit xx

Emma111

Thinking of everyone today and hoping everyone is having no/minimal side effects. I just feel down today, literally cried from the moment I woke (at 3am). I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has ever been like that and sure it'll pass, but such a horrible uncontrollable feeling xx
RosieFlower

HI popkit50. I'm due my 2nd FEC this Friday and my hair started to waff away 2 days ago. I cold capped. Spoke to BC nurse in my pre chemo assessment today and said that hairloss after 1st is more and then will slow down after the other FEC's, and by chemo 5 hair is beginning to regrow as hair folliciles become resilient to being bashed every 3 weeks. Hope this helps.
Rosie xx and hope all has good well today xxx
Tinky

Hi T - so sorry to hear about your bad experience, will be thinking of you on Thursday.

Just to go back to headwear again, which I have spent a ridiculous amuont of time looking at!  It's not vain at all, I have never spent a lot of time on my appearance, but I do want to look like 'me' & not look like 'cancer patient' which a lot of options seem to make you!  But now am hoping a stick on fringe will make all the difference, when you are used to having one - here is a link:

www.wigs4u.co.uk/pages/headwear/index.asp?cat2=Fringes

Sending hugs x

Flopsy

Popkit50

Really sorry about the complications with the GCFS injections and all. Hearing that it occurs in 4 % isn't much of a consolation with one is in that group!

The coldcap is also something I am struggling with. I have / had ! lots of very fine hair. I find the CC very uncomfortable even with painkillers and it does add to the time I am stuck in that chair in the cramped and stuffy room. My legs are so sore afterwards.

However, although I lost about 50% of my hair within the first weeks of the FEC, the hairloss has slowed and even after my first T it is not coming up as much as before. I'm left with a fine coating of hair all over and no bald patches. I can pass for "normal" in public although people may wonder why I am too "lazy" to brush the knots out properly...

Although I did suffer a high hair loss it has been worthwhile for me so far

I know that T is hard on the hair, nails and skin. I may lose my hair after all.

So far so good though.

T

Oh Netti, I'm so sorry you feel so down x  I too dreaded telling my two (16 and 14) My 16 year old knew something was not right (she is very nosey and a real worrier!) and so I told them on thier own in a very chatty relaxed way - while walking arm in arm under an unbrellla one day - that they found some dodgy cells and I would need some treatment to get rid of them! She was more worried las was my son, about the Chemo and losing my hair - must admit i felf the same. They were pleased I had been honest in the end and it was alot more relaxed in the house - and the more we talked about it the less scary it became in a strange way!! I think it's all to do with the support - I didn'f feel so alone once everyone knew and the support is amazing for ALL the family xx She has helped me choose headscarves and paint my nails etc.. they want to help x

Thanks Belle, that's really kind of you x I don't think they are that confident so we will just give it a go and see - don't want to think about what happens if I react as they may not beable to treat it with the 1st class drugs as they call them!!!! 

Emma, Hope you're still feeling well and enjoying this week - it's fantastic news that you didn't have any major side effects, really positive xx

Big hugs everyone x

popkit50

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for a week or so. I've been feeling quite 'normal' and now I'm facing my second FEC dose today and feeling really anxious. 

Since my stay in hospital a couple of weeks ago with side effects from the GCSF injections, I've had a CT scan (all clear apart from a tiny spot on one lung which I'm told is probably a blood vessel) which was a bit difficult. It took a couple of goes to find a vein to canulate for the dye injection for the CT scan and in the end they used the vein that was used for the first chemo. This hurt so much and has made me so anxious that I have now requested a PIC line. Unfortunately they couldn't get me one in time for this morning's chemo.

I am also in a dilemma about the cold cap. I used the last time (first time) and my hair was fine until Sunday when it started coming out in handfuls. My oncologist said she didn't know why I was putting myself through the stress of the cold cap as my hair would fall out anyway with FEC T. Very supportive. The chemo nurses persuaded me that it does work. I have a friend who had FEC T last year, she used the cold cap and kept her hair. She did say however that she lost some but it wasn't noticeable to others. Her hair is a lot thicker than mine though. Just don't know what to do today - I'm hoping the chemo nurses will be able to advise. I know that it is very painful (only for first ten minutes though, then manageable), and it prolongs the treatment time, but I also know that if I can keep my hair (or most of it) that is worth it. Has anyone else had a similar experience/dilemma with the cold cap?

Also, I am scared about having to do the GCSF injections again, although I am now armed with loads of painkillers in case I have the same side effect as last time. I've been told that only 4% of people have the reaction that I did. 

I just can't wait for today to be over. Smiley Sad

Belle

T that sounds like an awful experience for you! How very frightening 😞 I hope you recovered quickly and all goes well on Thursday. They've obviously adjusted your meds so must be pretty confident they've sorted out which you were allergic to you. I hope they are taking good care of you. Let us know how it goes, we'll be thinking of you.

Much love,
B x
Flopsy

It was a London hospital

T

Hi all,

Sorry to go quiet for a while - it' s been a crazy week,as my first fec treatment didn't go so well - i had an severe anaphaliix shock during FECand they had to stop treatment 😞 I did however manage the cold cap and will try it again for sure x Not a good look with the cold cap though, i can tell you :-0

i am now taking some steriods etc to try and dampen the reaction this Thursday when they tryTEC this time and see what happens???

Anon - I had my hair cut into a short bob a few weeks ago in preperation and have just received some headscarves that i ordered from annabandanna - really nice and very reasonable - although i still feel they need an extra something! i still feel there is a market for really vain women like me (only because I just can't pull off a natural look -  being honest) and so i will have to try and add some extra something until i'm happy. Also, ordered a wig through BCC hair care and it is great, if I actually or not I don't know:-/

Good luck everyone keep everything crossed my head doesn't actually explode to this next treatemnt:-0

big hugs xx

Emma111

Flopsy, that's awful. My hospital is in Exeter, Devon. You?xx
Flopsy

Sorry to hear that Emma - just awful.

When I had my first lump mammogram the hospital sent my letter to the wrong address. When my letter did eventually arrived it had 6 other appointment letters for other people in it as well.

Incompetent.
Emma111

I hope no one on here gets same treatment from their hospital as I have had ...... at 37 the only mammogram I have had is on 18th may when I was diagnosed. ..... today I received a letter from hospital to say my recent mammogram is normal. ...... clearly not a letter for me and I can't decide if I'm more pissed off or angry about it! !!
helly18

Netti i feel for you it is difficult,my children are 10 and we told them once we knew what my treatment plan was. We were honest in an age appropiate way and have continued to to do that throughout. Their main concern was whether i was going to die (not at the moment thank you) and they needed reasurrance that things would carry on as normal as possible but that my medicine could make me feel a bit poorly from time to time. They gave coped well and the school has been a great support. Goid luck i am sure you will feel better for hsving the discussion and they fo pick up things aren't right and i think that frightens them more xxx
netti37

Thank you Kailmera. I know its not just me in this awful position. It's not easy for any of us, whether children are involved or not. The mummys lump book came on sat, so I've read through it myself and getting prepared. I'm sure once I tell them, it will be a huge weight lifted and they will help me fight this. I just hate the thought of their childhood being robbed.
How far along are you in your treatment. Good to hear your side effects have been mild too. May it continue. Xx thank you for your advice x