1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2016 starters?

buster1

Re: June 2016 starters?

Hi lovely ladies, sending big hugs to you all. I'm having a wobble this morning as I went yesterday for a Picc line and after thre painful attempts the guide wire got stuck. I'm now going back today for a Hickman line, and I'm sooooooo scared. I feel such a wimp because I've managed to be calmish but this has roughened my seas so to speak. I have something called Svt a heart arrhythmia which has been really well controlled but I'm scared this will trigger an event. I must have been tottering on the edge though for such a small blip to cause this wobble. Also do you find lots of differing opinions and advice? I can see three different healthcare professionals in one week and they can give me contradicting information. Who do you listen to? If you explain your confusion (tactfully obviously) and ask for clarification some staff can get defensive. That's me done sorry 😳, I just needed to vent. I'm doing the swan: calm on the surface where all can see, but paddling like mad under the water trying to hide my panic. Thanks for letting me expose my webbed feet for ten minutes. I'm putting them back in the water now and off to the hospital. Bless you all, I truly think you're amazing. Until all this happened to me I never saw how fabulous and powerful women can be, this site has helped me see. Go girls xxxxxxx

julie.galea

Morning all.  JUst a quick update.  Not feeling too bad this morning.  Was a little bit nauseous last night but had my sister and a friend texting me for an hour to take my mind off it till i could take the next lot of tablets, worked a treat, I would recommend the distraction technique.  I was also constantly sipping juice which also helped.  Got a stinking bad head this morning and a slight metallic taste but the juice is helping again.  Felt a bit warm so took my temperature but it was normal, maybe a bit of paranoia setting in.

Have decided to take the day off work just to see how I get on, if all OK will go back in tomorrow.

Hope everyone is OK today. Take care x

Belle

I know what you mean about wanting to be prepared - I have lists all over the place!  We're away for a couple more days but then I have such a lot to fit in before hand.  On the upside - not long till Wimbledon 😄 and we have the perfect excuse to watch it, possibly without the Pimms this year *sigh* but there will be Pimms other years!

Are you sorted with head things?  Or are you cold capping?  I've got a wig lined up (see earlier post for photo) and I've an appointment with the HeadStrong service to learn about scarves etc next week.  I suspect I'll do more with some sort of scarf but am not sure what - I'm not good with fussy clothes ...

I've also acquired a really stupid tan line on my forehead, just at my hair line - or rather a few milimetres in front of it.  It wouldn't be a problem under normal circumstances as no one would see it.  But now?  It's going to make my bald head look even more stupid!  

Just want to get going now, at least then it'll be on the way to being over.

B x

Millasmummy

Hope your still feeling ok Julie. Big hug x
julie.galea

Hi all. Just having my first treatment of fec-t. All drugs in and now sitting for 90 minutes with the cold cap on and then should be good to go home. Feeling ok so far and keeping my fingers crossed that it's says that way. I was nervous this morning but the staff are great and really put you at ease and talk everything through with you.
Keep thinking positive everyone. There is light at the end of the tunnel xx
Millasmummy

Hi Belle, great, i want to be prepared as i can be for this treatment. Not looking forward to it obviously, but it will feel like im doing something at least, I feel like a sitting duck at the moment xxx

Belle

Indeed you are, Milasmummy! I'll be joining you next Thursday (9th) for my first one too. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but the sooner we start, the sooner we'll be done I guess?

B x
Millasmummy

Hi everyone, I have just had my first treatment date come through for next Thursday. Am I in the right place for June starters?

Belle

Hi all,

How's it going?  June is about to get under way so I guess that's the starting gun firing for us!

I'm still away on holiday but have found a smidge of internet access and am hiding away in my air conditioned room to cool off.  Having a week away just before starting has been a Godsend but I have to say I can't exactly forget it.  I've had a few 'moments' and some hilarious ones too - like when my husband grabbed the end of my towel roll to dispose of it in the hotel linen skip.  He pulled it out of my bag and of course, it unwound as he did so.  Inside was my lovely new mastectomy swimming costume from Nicola Jane (cost a fortune and is now horribly stained with suncream *sigh*) and also my prosthesis.  Which flew through the air and landed with a slap on the floor!  Laugh?  I nearly died! 😄 😄 I also nearly killed my husband!!  

We'll be back to reality soon and then the 9th will be fast upon me.  Those of you starting in the next few days are very much in my thoughts.

B x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Nevyn,

just popped in from the May 9th thread - There are so many tips all over the relevant forums - might be worth checking through this one - if you haven't done so already - https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/...

One specific thing you might wish to consider - dentist visit - to have all sorted before you start. Chemo can be harsh on the inside of the mouth - so well worth making sure it is as 'fit' as possible.

xxx

Nevyn

Yes, thanks buster1, that's useful to know.
I've now heard that I start on 4th so I'm pleased to finally be getting this started but more than slightly nervous/apprehensive/terrified.
So, hair cut is booked, have a babysitter for my 2 year old, I need to look at wigs and scarfs, is there anything else I need to do in advance?
X
kalimera

Thank you Buster1 that's good to know xx

buster1

Hi Kalimera, it is scary, I start mine next week. I try to take each day at a time (easier said, I know) I think as the the side effects are so different for each of us and therefore you can't know for definite how you will be, it's the uncertainty that's unnerving. But that can be a good thing as you could be one of the lucky ones who have very few and you might sail through with any luck 💪. I've heard that keeping hydrated by drinking lots if water the week before you start and during the first few days of each session helps flush it through. We'll be here for you if you need support. Xxxx

buster1

OWow Belle, that wig is fab. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I think I've made a mistake with my wig, I have really short spiky hair usually but couldn't get a similar wig so mine is the same colour but a lot longer fringe. I can't have it cut shorter as edges will show that it's a wig and I'm losing confidence in wearing it as it is. I think I'm right that I can't have another on prescription so I'm stuck. You look great xx

kalimera

Hello Ladies, I'm due to start 6 rounds of chemo 8th June. I was diagnosed early in April, had my mastectomy 5 weeks ago...It's been quite a rollercoaster, but starting the chemo is really worrying me. I think it will help to connect with other women going through the same experience and hopefully get some tips, I'm new to all this forum business! 

Belle

Just wanted to wish Julie (1st chemo on the 1st) and anyone else who is starting before the 3rd well.  I'm about to sign off for a week of sun, sea & sand so will be doing my best to relax and enjoy a little R&R before digging in for my start on the 9th.

Will look forward to catching up with you all when I'm back!

B x

Belle

Hi Nevyn,

Lovely to 'meet' you but sorry it's under such crappy circumstances 😕  You're definitely not alone.  There's already a small crowd of us here and I suspect more will be joining over the coming weeks.

If you've not already, check out the Chemotherapy: Tips & Tricks thread running in the Chemotherapy forum - lots of useful info there.  

Here's the next few months flying by!

B x

Nevyn

Hi all

I'm just waiting for my start date but am expecting it to be in the next few weeks.  

I've having FEC x 3 and T x 3 and Herceptin.  Then they're preparing me for a mastectomy later in the year.

It's a lot to take in but this forum has already been so useful to look at so I'm looking forward to picking up coping strategies and not going through this alone...

Smiley Happy 

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Belle, only just popped in on the thread, as I saw the photos - you look brilliant! Also glad to know that you have been able to sort your queries re Lymphoedema risks. So many of us are not told about it properly. When we get the booklets, we have so many other things going around in our head and many, (I was one of them) that the risk went away, once we heal. I was told by my chemo nurse that this is not the case - and I only 'lost' 3. xxx
Belle

Been having a 'hair' day.

Started the with a spot of hair removal - oh the irony!  Then went for a wig fitting and have come out with a pretty good option - left/top is the wig, right/bottom is my normal hair (taken shortly after diagnosis on a boozy lunch my sister treated me too!):

IMG_5098.jpgIMG_4799.JPG

I nearly went for a total change as there was a funky cropped wig I quite fancied but in the end I decided on the days I wear the wig I'm going to want to look normal, not different.  Very impressed with both the service I received and the quality of the wig.  God bless the NHS!

Finally, I booked myself a session with the HeadStrong service to learn about scarf tying etc. for the day before I start chemo.  My nearest one is a bit of a trek from home but we decided we'd make a day of it and have a final lunch out as a treat.

Feeling a bit better prepared.

B x

Belle

Yeah, I believe they are 😉  Must admit I smiled at that announcement.  Norty.  *snort*

I'm with you trying to laugh at it all.  I try to laugh pretty much everything off but there are times, there are times ...

B x

buster1

Hi Belle, I have quite a dry sense of humour and can make light of many situations but when you're feeling a bit sensitive or raw it's hard to pass off. That's why it's good to talk it through on here.  Aren't BHS now selling up, Karma??  😄 . Stay strong 💪 Xxx

Belle

Oh Buster, how awful!  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  People are strange, aren't they?  My worst encounter was with a shop assistant on BHS.  I wrote about it here: https://gettingabreastofthesituation.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/shopping/

Not been in BHS since!

B x

buster1

Hi everyone, (hi Bottyboo, I have tried sending you personal messages before but as not that computer savvy I failed, I hope you are ok,how are your wounds doing?) I am starting chemo soon, not sure of the date as I am having a picc line put in next week before I start. I am grateful to have buddies to accompany me through this journey. I think it's hard for family etc to understand what we are going through. I stumble at weird times. Something big can happen and I'm ok, then boom it dawns on me. But what I have learnt is to stop analysing and trying to explain my feelings (not easy) as we are all so different but basically good people muddling through this bonkers time 😜. I like this forum because I can express my random thoughts and you lovely ladies know where I'm coming from without too much explanation. During this journey we must be on a completely different wave length to  'The others' (non cancer patients 💁🏻). An example, I was with a family member in m and s changing room the other day trying on a bra with a filler to try to even up my own boob with the reconstructed one. For her to stand outside and shout "how are you getting on with that chicken fillet in your bra!!!!" I'm not really a shy person and will chat to anyone quietly about most things but I was mortified that she was so insensitive to my feelings. I stood on my own, bare chested, scar staring back at me and felt deflated knowing she was outside and everyone had heard her. I felt she'd exposed me to the world. In future I'll keep personal details between me and you gals. I know my secrets are safe with you 😘.  Big hugs to you all. I feel like we are an army of Amazon warriors, swords in hand marching forward. Let's go kick some ass ladies xxxx

Belle

Hi Gillan,

That's so encouraging, thank you!  Six months for us will be Christmas so all being well, maybe we'll be feeling human again by then?  Hoorah!

B x

Gfnich

Hi girls,

I am from Dec 15 thread and just saw you June starters, I can't believe it is six months for me and that I am all done now.

It is a bumpy road you will go down but it is doable and it is great to share your worries and tribulations on here.  I will keep popping by so ask anything you like.

I had breast cancer back in 2008 and was fixed but unluckily got a new primary in 2015 which was unrelated.  It was caught early so I have had a lumpectomy, SNB, chemo FEC T and radiotherapy and feel almost myself now.   

Best wishes Gillian x

Belle

Hi Julie,

It's not a club we ever wanted to join is it?  Ah well, as much as I wish no one else had to endure breast cancer, it is helpful having company along the way, isn't it?

I have about 10miles to travel to my unit too.  It's doable, isn't it?  Very glad I'm not on the bus though!

Keep us posted 🙂

xxx

julie.galea

Hi Belle and all June starters.

Im due to have my first chemo session on 1st June.  3 x FEC and 3 x T.  Not looking forward to it, and have decided to cold cap too which means I am in for a long day but thought it was worth a try.

I had my echo yesterday (Thursday)  and blood tests and went to meet the staff on the Henderson Suite which is the ward where they give the chemo in my local hospital, luckily its only 10 miles away,  so not too much travelling.

Good luck everyone

Belle

Morning Bottyboo,

Of course we don't mind you joining us!  I think most of us peek at other threads anyway 😉  I do know that Sue H-S only had her first dose on the 19th so I don't think you're too far behind.  The long wait must have been hard - hope your surgical issues are not too problematic now.

I think Silvercloud could be right about the echo & FEC as I'm having 6 straight cycles too.  I would talk about your confusion with your team.  Hopefully they can explain all to you.

Here's hoping you find it ok and that any side effects are quite manageable.  Let us know how your get on.

B x

Silvercloud

I had another look at my paperwork and it is actually an echocardgram I am having not an ecg. I think it is because I am having 6 cycles of FEC which can cause problems. It is also why I will have to wait 4-6 weeks after chemo before starting Herceptin. 

Hi Bottyboo, the weeks are flying past and it's nearly June 🙂 Good luck for today. I hope it goes smoothly. It's natural to dread all this but hopefully it wont be as bad as we all think! 

Silvercloud xx

Bottyboo

Hi Belleville and Silvercloud. I have my first chemo tomorrow but most of the May thread have started so hope you don't mind me jumping on here. I'm having 3xFEC and 3xT. Have had a long wait due to surgical issues and still not fully healed however oncologist happy to start now and see.
I haven't had an echo, I was told there was no indication for me to have one and have only had the ecg I had previously op. I'm also not down to have a ct scan or mri a day this does confuse me.
Am dreading tomorrow to be honest xx
Belle

I wonder why some of us have Echos and some have ECGs?  I was a tad surprised as an ECG was all I was expecting & I have no cardiac issues.  I guess it must just be different units.

Silvercloud

Not sure I am brave enough to paddle off the south coast! Looking forward to it before getting stuck in!

I have my ecg the day after my first chemo. They say it should be fine! I have also booked on to a Look Good Feel Better course during week 3 - something to look forward to once I have started.

xx

Belle

Ooh and me!  Away paddling in the sea from 26th May to 3rd June so trying to get organised.  I had an LD-flap on 21st March but without expander - too many allergies.  My echocardiogram today was sore!  The bloke doing it was very enthusiastic with his ultrasound probe and proded my scars way too often for comfort.  

So looking forward to my holiday though, a brief respite in the midst of all this, eh?

Silvercloud

Hi Belle

i have my pre chemo assessment next weds and my first chemo on 6th June. Having 6 X FEC followed by Herceptin.  Had mastectomy at end of March with an expander implant (they thought I would need radiotherapy but turns out I don't :-))

trying to get organised as will be on holiday the week before! All  Getting a bit real now he appointments have come through.

silvercloud xx

Belle

Thanks Rosie,

Fabulous you're still in touch 🙂

B x

rosie14

Hi Belle just popping on from the April 14 thread to wish you well.
It's a good idea to start a new thread for June starters as sadly there will be several that join you when they find the forum! It's the best way of coping with the ups and downs of chemo sharing experiences with those who will really understand! You will develop a close bond with them through this journey. There are still 5 ladies on our thread and we have planned our second reunion!
Belle

June 2016 starters?

Taking Sue H-S's advice and starting a new thread for anyone starting chemo in June.

My first cycle begins on the 9th.  I'm having FEC x 6 so that will fun!  Tomorrow I've got my echocardiogram to look forward to and well as a follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon.  I had a mastectomy & LD flap reconstruction 7 weeks ago and will be needing a reduction etc.  Had hoped that I could get all the surgery done and dusted this year but thanks to chemo my perky new rack (she said hopefully ...!) will have to wait.  

I've been reading previous threads and trying to glean as much information as I can.  Today I've made some different sorts of fruit compôtes for the freezer for days when something fruity is called for.  I'm planning to make some ice lollies too.  Besides cooking and reading up on stuff, I write a lot in a vain attempt to maintain my tenuous grip on sanity.  How are you all doing?  Any other favourite coping strategies?

B x