cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2017 radiotherapy

Meri

Re: June 2017 radiotherapy

I think we all need to say to ourselves its ok to feel sad, upset, angry etc

Yesterday I had review from radiology practitioner and she thinks cellulitus is back 😞

Told me to go to a&e over weekend if gets worse, I cannot think of worse thing to do on hottest days sitting hours in a&e so not doing that.

She has emailed oncologost.

So breast hot, sore, I feel whacked and dreading more antibiotics as only two weeks ago finished three week course, als Thrush just easing off 😞

Had wrapped ice pack and fan on chest all night.

Radiotherapy will continue but feel like boob will explode! quite a funny thought LoL! 🙂 do you think we get dark humour through all this happening?

I am disabled, a wheelchiar user, spine injury, nerve pain, now having spasms in shoulder, back and legs after just five sessions BUT this is a most important part of our treatment so no matter what I will continue.

I wish I could hug all who struggling, a great big group hug!  Healing thoughts to you all 🙂

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

You are my darling, life tends to kick us where it hurts but with a lot of strength and patience we just get past it and carry on.  Have they said how long it will be until Roy's sight will improve?  He really does not need that along with the prostrate treatment.

I am sending you both a hug Helena huggle just coz xxxxx

Fuertelover

Hi Helena, yes think you have been really brave & I am trying to be the same, as Roy had his eye op last week, but his vision is still all blurred & he starts on prostate cancer treatment shortly, but you just have to grin & bear it & carry on helping one another. Hope life goes more smoothly for you & your husband this year xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Linda

This is just to give you comfort that it can be done and for no other reason. 

2016 was a crap year for my partner and I, he was diagnosed with MS in Sept 2015 and was strugging to deal with the implications of all that and then I go and get cancer. He was not able to come to any of the apts with me as he is housebound which althought he did not say, upset him greatly.  BUT we have got through it, I finished active treatment in January of this year, and we are now enjoying being together doing whatever we can within his limitations.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will be shining really brightly for you very soon my friend.

Helena xxxx

Fuertelover

Welshlady, You will get there ! Just hang in there & people onthis forum will support you all the way !

It's another beautiful day out there, you can get some Vit D today, as once the rads are started, you have to keep out of the sun!

Have a good day, you can always have a rant on here if it all gets to you !

best wishes. Diane xxx

welshlady66

Thank you Helena and Diane things have been a bit tuff over the last year or so then getting the diagnosis of cancer and everything else but I will get there and everyone seems so nice on here, hope everyone is getting on with their rads okay x

Fuertelover

Oh dear Linda & I think I have problems with my husband, as he had a detached retina & cataract, the op was Tuesday, but the sight isn't good, he has also been told that his prostate cancer is now starting to spread, so after three & a half years of watchful waiting, he now needs hormones & radiotherapy! 

But you have lost family & that is terrible, and then to be told you had cancer, must be hard to be positive, but sure you will get lots of support from your team & friends.

Everyone that I have come across on this journey in hospital etc have all been very kind & understanding & you will find lots of lovely people on here.

lots of hugs & try not to worry (silly thing to say). 

Diane xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

welshlady

Oh my dear you really are going through the mill at the moment, sending you a lovely squidgy soft hug xxx

I think it will be the tamoxifen, I dont know how long you have been taking it, but I remember when I first started it, I could have cried if somone even said something nice to be if I was in that mood on the day. that has completely passed now, it did last a couple of weeks

You just come on here and talk, rant, rave and cry when you want to, we are all here for you

Helena xxxx

welshlady66

Thank you Diane I have the aloe gel bought it in Holland and Barrett going to get another tube as dont think its going to last long with me lol big boobs are a pain at times I think so much has happened in the last year and a half lost four family members one after another then found out I had cancer so not really had time to think orr grieve, Dont know why im getting worked up over this radiation as been through everything else as for the exercises I have problems doing them as I have an arthritic shoulder so limited movement in it getting into position with my arms up is difficult but they are brilliant and so gentle at the swansea cancer unit. That is all I seem to do is sleep I have fibromyalgia as well and am exhausted all the time started the tamoxifen on week five of that and hot constantly flushes headaches and nausea but I am on a lot of medication for other things so just getting on with things, they have offered counciling sessions which I think I will use as it might help.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Linda

Fuertelover

Hi Welshlady, you are entitled to feel upset, as you have so much going on! I started RT this week & so far is fine, don't worry about it, but buy some aloe vera gel, got mine on Amazon & keep moisturising your breast, I am doing mine three times a day now. I also do the exercises, but probably not enough!   If everything gets too much for you, I would ring your breast cancer nurse, mine was very helpful. Good luck

Diane

welshlady66

Hi been for my last planning appointment and I start rads on Tuesday 9.45 really anxious and feel really down I lost my dad a year and a half ago and havent grieved but since being on tamoxifen I cry over anything dont know if it is the tabs. They have found a big gallstone in gallbladder so waiting on an MRI as they also think a previous repair for a hernia has come out again got so much going on I feel as if I am going to explode and start crying and not stop, hope everyone is copping with your treatment .

Fuertelover

Thank you Helena. Just returned from third session & review, she did say the effect is cumulative , which means expect to be more sore! Will keep putting on moisturiser & aloe vera & hope it helps, as well as lots of water!

Tigony

Thank you so much for the advice. I went straight to a party after yesterday's session, so couldn't. But I will take your advice and do so from now on. Plus drinking more water (and probably less wine).

ladybowler
Community Champion

Diane

May be it got emotional over your lovely name 🙂 🙂

Fuertelover

Don't know how the emotional content got on there!
Fuertelover

Hi Tigony,still only a bit sore, so hope it carries on! Same for you! 

Moisturising regularly, so hope okay!

Good luck everyone

Spoiler
Diane😌
ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

I am sending you a lovely, gentle hug, with everything you have to contend with so proud of you. 

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

It wont be long until you are finished 🙂

Really try to put your moisturiser on 2/3 times a day and certainly if you can put it on immediately after your session, I used to take mine with me.  It is important especially as the sessions go on as it will help to keep your breast hydrated.

Helena xxx

Tigony

I had my second too, and didn't feel anything. Being a bit random with the moisturising, but using E45. I have put my aloe vera in the fridge for when a burning sensation starts, if it does. 

Fuertelover

Meri, Just returned from my second session, so far,so good, a little tenderness under my arm, but he said they had concentrated on that yesterday! So feel very lucky so far !

Hope the diazepam does the trick for you & the spasms ease off. My aloe vera gel arrived today, so as well as moisturiser , now putting aloe vera under my arm, as I just said to my friend, it is all good fun !!!

Have a sleep when you get home x

Meri

Yes hotness started from first session aparently some do get this according to radiologist.

My surgery sites inside quite tender now too

Saw pain doctor today, prescribed low dose diazepam to help relax muscles before sessions as my spine and shoulder in spasms due to old injuries.

But so tired think I may drop off!!! 🙂 asleep LOL

My pain consultant has had mastectomy and all these treatments so very understanding and helpful.

Just off now to 4th session 🙂

Lola_

Ask if your department has actiform cool dressings - suitable for radiotherapy and perfect for cooling down a hot boob!

Fuertelover

Hi Misha, glad I am not the only one with stitches still there since April 3rd. Do you think that the rads got rid of them, I wish my two would disappear, but hope I don't need 11.

I too have chosen to wait to take my Examestane until after my rads are over!

Misha11

Congratulations Gran!! Let us know how you get on now you have finished.

Meri. My boob always feels much hotter compared to the other one. I find the aloe vera helps or a quick burst with the hairdryer on the cool setting Smiley Happy

Have just done 11/15. Still have the joys of tamoxifen to come but at least the remaining stitches from my op at the beginning of April have finally gone.

Fuertelover

Hi Meri, Did it start after first one ? I just feel sore on lymph node scar. I am waiting for Aloe Vera to come from Amazon.x
Meri

Meri

Has anyone experienced boob being hot?

Mine already very hot

Been advised not to use cool pack, but have put aloe vera gel in fridge but finding it worse at night.

🙂 3/15 done

Fuertelover

June 2017 radiotherapy

Just returned from my first RT, all okay so far, bit sore underarm, but it only took about half an hour!

Back tomorrow morning,must remember to do exercises! 

Dianexx

Meri

I recall seeing a liquid version of Tamoxifen, called something else though.

Am now off Tamixifen as medics decided I too ill and have radiotherapy to cope with which already agravated skin as so sensative after infection.

It was Tamoxifen which caused rampaging Thrush, pharmacist says kills off healthy bacteria as changes ph etc in vagina.

I am extremely swollen and sore 😞 down there LOL 🙂

Boob trying to catch up! 🙂

I am releived its been stopped rather then me choosing to stop.

Been told to heal, see oncology in seven weeks then look at hormone tretaments again.

Radiologist advise wiating to start hormone treatment till after radiotherapy if medically ok to do so.

Off to my third session now 🙂

Fuertelover

Divorces are very stressful, my daughter has just come out of a v stressful divorce & she doesn't have children! Let us hope that we both have allour sessions of RT without too many problems .Diane x
Tigony

I am 58. No chance of stopping work as my youngest is only 16 and I am a single mum. I am trying to divorce his useless abusive father after nearly 7 years apart, which is a source of stress. However I am trying to override and keep cheerful as I think that is probably key to recovery!

Fuertelover

Hi Tigony, does that mean you have an intolerance? I am drinking lots of water, moisturised after shower this morning. Keep in touch. You are obviously younger than me, as you are at work! Best wishes D xx
Tigony

Hi Diane, I am going to pick up Tamoxifen tomorrow, and my oncologist said I could wait until after the rads. If I don't get one with it, she does say it is optional, but we will just have to see how we go. Good luck with finding the right thing for you and let's compare notes. I must break off from a bit of work and go and moisturise now and get a big glass of water! Best wishes Tig

Fuertelover

Hi Tigony, we will be in it together, starting the same day, will be good to compare notes! I have had trouble finding hormone tablets that do not contain lactose, now have been told Exemestane doesn't, so will start that after rads! My appt is 3.30 so still a little time to go. Good luck ! Diane xx
Tigony

Dear Gran, I started my 15 this morning. You have reminded me to go and moisturise. I will do my best to drink my way through the day too. Hope all is well with you, and thank goodness it is over.

Fuertelover

Well done, I am at the start, so a longway to go! But time passes quickly, have moisturised this morning! How much water should I drink?

Hope they have plenty of loos!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Gran

Yay that is fab all done, end of active treatment and you get your life back, congratulations 🙂 🙂

I know its late, I have been bowling tonight, but I am blooming ringing that bells for you tonight.

Dont forget about taking in plenty of fluids as well over the next two weeks and make sure you get plenty of rest.bell.jpg

Helena  xx

So these are just for you Gran60

Optimissy64

Well done Gran! Ladybowler will be along soon to ring those bells for you I imagine - (I don't know how to do it!!!!!) Such a relief not haivng to flog up to hospital every day isn't it? xxxxxxxxxx

Gran60

Completed number 15 today. So happy not having to travel every day. Will be moisturising for another 2 weeks and hoping side effects don't get to bad. 😊
Fuertelover

They have been trying to find out for three weeks! I have found anastrozole patches on line.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

Do they do it in a liquid form? xx

Fuertelover

Oh Meri, I am sorry, I haven't started on any hormones yet, as they can't seem to find any that don't contain lactose ! But , Hoping I can use a patch or cream, but they probably aren't on NHS ! How long were you there? I have already been measured & had my tattoos done, but been told to be there half an hour before.

As my scars are still a bit inflamed, not looking forward to it!

Good luck for tomorrow Meri xx 

Meri

Had my first session hour or so ago 🙂

Was worried they would delay as had fluid removed it changed shape of breast but all ok.

Radiologists practitioners were more concerned about skin condition after infection, its still pink so bit more sensative and surgery site sore.

And also how poorly I am with Tamoxifen, bad nausea still plus sore mouth and lady bits and so tired, must look bad as they worried and contacting oncologist.

They think best to stop.

See oncologist which I trying to do but no response from BCN yet.

Lovely new unit in Sidcup, lovely staff and facilities.

Tomorrow I am having complimentry therapy couple of hours before rads so hope they can help with nausea 🙂

Fuertelover

Thanks Helena, stopped wearing a bra after op, as irritated scar underarms!

Still painful under arms from scar, but glad to be starting rads on Wednesday. My friend says you should drink at least a litre a day. But I drink quite a lot already, so won't be too hard, just hope my bladder can hold out!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

Hello :).  Well the main things to do with rads is, as you are, moisturise well 2/3 times a day, drink plent of fluid as that will help with the dehydration that rads can cause and can ultimately cause fatigue, and most importantly be kind to yourself and rest when you body tells you, and it will.

Have you got a non wired bra as they recommend that you wear one rather than wired. 

Helena xxx

Fuertelover

Starting my 15 sessions on June 14th, have been applying moisturiser twice a day since op, hope it will help!

The scar where the lymph nodes were removed still gives me a bit of bother, as there are still a couple of stitches I can feel.  When  I went for my check up, the doctor said they would work their way out, still waiting!

Quite a few of us ladies starting this week, let's hope everything goes well for all of us & that time passes quickly!

Thank you for any tips you have.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

They always say not to apply it less than 2 hours before, so you should be ok as your apt is in the afternoon, I used to put a thin later on after my shower when I was going to work as my apt was in mid afternoon, then when I was getting dressed after the session I would apply it again.

Helena  xx

Meri

Hi ladies got my first session Monday 12th June.

Is it ok to put moisturiser on in the morning? my session not till late afternoon.

SooBee

That's me 5 done 10 to go! Feeling fine! A little bit rosy around the edges and more tired than usual but a small price to pay.

Misha11

Helena: Thank you for your kind words. my Rads nurses are lovely too. They even noticed i had had my hair chopped....unlike my OH lol

Meri: Glad you have got some dates now. It is so much more manageable if you have something to aim for.

Gran60:  Must be a relief to be coming to the end.

Today was 8/15 for me. I am now pink (a larger area than I expected!!) but still just feels like mild sunburn although am more tired than usual but it's better if I keep moving. Have a lot of scarring from my op but they seem to be holding up. Looking forward to the weekend (and having a break from the hospital!!)