1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2017 radiotherapy

LinRowan

Re: June 2017 radiotherapy

Well, that's one down and just 19 to go! Or as my friend said, I'm already 5% of the way through...

It went fine, though when you're trying to lie very still and suddenly beaty music starts up and you get Spandau ballet singing

"Gold! Always believe in your soul. You've got the power to know. You're indestructible. Always believe in, because you are. Gold ..."

well, it's kind of hard to keep still! I appreciated the lyrics, though 🙂

I did wonder what's next, I Will Survive?

Came home, moisturised, feeling a little warm around the right boob but not sore. So far so good.

Lin

Fuertelover

To all suffering ladies

You are all doing so well & I feel really lucky, as so far only had a pink booby & yesterday fell asleep when I got home.................so couldn't sleep last night !

Seven more to go!

love & gentle hugs to you all ! Xxx

WMJ

Sorry to hear of your struggle Meri, it is truly amazing what we have to endure. take care & wishing you well. X
WMJ

Sorry to hear you have cellulitis Welshlady66. Hope you recover quickly. 

My boob continues to go pinker with each day but it was pink to start off. saw BCN yesterday and they are not too concerned. Furthermore it is not painful as such, I just have the usual aches and pains from the clearance.  X

Tigony

Thank you for confirming. Read that too although i do wash it off before going in. Itchiness i think was a midge bite as it has gone and i had one on the other breast. Best of luck. I have just had 8 so over half way. Enjoy your weekends.
Meri

Deoderant - normal deooderant can be used, reserach has shown it makes no difference to radiotherapy.

Radiologists at my planning session told me about new research when I asked about Pitroc, so save your self the money and use what you like 🙂

One I don't understand is why we can't use a little antiseptic cream for soreness and blisters.

I thought a little sudocream or savlon would be ok but aparently not.

Has anyone had any nausea, I have had a little after sessions, told its not related but info here says it can happen.

Good luck everyine, I have five sessions left, heres hoping boob does not burst as so swollen! 🙂

ladybowler
Community Champion

SooBee

Ha ha, may be both 🙂 🙂

SooBee

Thank you Helena! I can hear those bells ringing....... or is it the G&T??

Thinking of all you girls going through it now and in the future! Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

For those ladies who are finishing rads in July and for the ladies starting in July, I will set up a new thread next week July 2017 radiotherapy for you.

Hope you are all doing as well as you can and looking forward to a rads free weekend.

Helenaxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Linda

Oh you are really going through it, sending a very gentle hug xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

SooBee

Yay you've done you got there last rads done and dusted, end of active treatment.  Very well done.  The bells are ringing for you .

Remember to keep up with the moisturising, fluid intake and resting for the next two weeks.

Have a wonderful weekend knowing that you do not have to do that journey again.  Hope you are going to celebrate in style xxx

Helena xxxx

bell.jpg

Fuertelover

I have used my normal deodorant, Bionsen, didn't think about asking, they haven't said anything, but have to admit that in the really hot weather, it wasn't enough!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

The reason i was told not to use ordinary deoderants was because they contained aluminium whereas Picroc is a "natural" product, so I think it is to avoid aluminium containing products which apparently even spray deo's do.  You live and learn on this journey 🙂 xx

Tigony

I will pop into Boots on the way home for Pitrock. Thanks guys.

Tigony

It is odd about Pitrock as it is a mineral? I thought it was the minerals that were the problem for the machine. I just wash mine off before and hope for the best. Also there seems to be some thinking that it doesn't matter too much what you do?

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

I used the Pitroc, it is a bit strange at first as you need to dampen the top of it before applying it, or you can put it on damp skin immediately after bath or shower.  It worked really well.

Helena xxx

Ms Merton

Hi Tigony - my rads team permits use of this product https://www.pitrok.co.uk/PitROK-The-Original.html

It is a solid mineral stick that you apply to your wet skin after shower.  So far it has worked well for me. They also recommend Doublebase gel as a moisturiser (available from the pharmacy counter without prescription).  For hot flushes, I like the spray cans of mineral water.  Hope that helps.  xx

Tigony

So far so good. My 8th this afternoon. Some itching, but the E45 deals with that. Can I ask you ladies what the latest on deodorant is? Hot flushes and the weather.... you will understand. As usual the best possible care and consideration in hospital. Also I am lucky enough to have a Maggie's nearby, and booked myself in for counselling (did not work for me so I stopped - just bored myself) and yoga (worked much better, although I burst into tears when the teacher came up behind me unexpectedly and stroked my face with scented oil). Made me feel much better. I do love yoga's effect but was between teachers. 

Meri

Hi all phew what hot few days 🙂

I so feel for you re cellulitus.

I had to go to see surgeon today as radiologist and GP think I have cellulitus again but surgeon says no.

My breast has swollen so much all measurments have to be changed for radiotherapy.

Skin breaking down under breast, given stick on dressings for this as where bra rubs too, even though its very loose.

All due to affect of infection before rads.

Feel like have to be bull dog, chew bottom lip and press forward.

It literally feels like boob will explode as so swollen and sore. I have blood blisters do any of you?

I knew in advance new lumps may form due to rads.

Off to10th session in a minute, try and soothe radiologist anxiety re infection 🙂

Fuertelover

Linda

Gentle hugs & lots of good wishes that the cellulitis is kept under control, I have heard it is very painful.

Hope the antibiotics get on top of it very quickly.

Diane

welshlady66

Well done to Soobee for your last Rads and getting through them and WMJ having the rads is a bit uncomfortable but not too bad but I do have other conditions that cause pain and going through the actual rads I feel fine. well had my 3/15 yesterday and the radiographer wasnt pleased at all with my skin its red hot and stings, nurse got the doctor to see me and once again I have cellulitis but this time its spread all over my right breast temp is up and my Bp had shot up to 194/107 which they were very concerned about they gave me antibiotics again 4000mg a day last time it took three lots to get rid of it they have taken a blood test to see how bad the infection is and said if need be they will take me in to have intravinous antibiotics to try and get on top of this I hope it dont come to this we will see, but as long as it doesnt get to sore they will keep going with the rads apart from that just really lathargic and tired. Hope everyone else is having trouble free rads x                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Linda

Fuertelover

Well done Soobee, glad all has gone well for you, I am now half way through & haven't had any problems, but don't like to speak too soon. Feel really sorry for those of you that it hasn't gone so well, but time does go quickly, so hopefully you will all heal quickly.

Still haven't hit feeling really tired, but sure I won't manage to avoid it, as it does seem a common factor!

Love & gentle hugs to everyone

Diane

SooBee

It upsets me that so many of you are having such a rough time. I'm thinking of you all.

My last radiotherapy tomorrow. Three weeks passed so quickly. I'm sore and my skin has broken down but that's nothing compared to some of you. Tiredness? Who me! Came home today and had a 3 hour nap!! I couldn't believe it!!

Get those bells ready please!

Fuertelover

Good luck WMJ,

Sure it will be okay & hope your journeys go well too. How far do you have to go ?  I have now done 5/15, so it does pass quite quickly!

Let us know how you go ? All good wishes, Diane "

Fuertelover

Good luck WMJ,

Sure it will be okay & hope your journeys go well too. How far do you have to go ?  I have now done 5/15, so it does pass quite quickly!

Let us know how you go ? All good wishes, Diane 

WMJ

Well done Misha 11 on getting the rads over with. Is that your active treatment over with? Sorry not sure of your journey and not everyone's follows the same path. I have my tamoxifen in the drawer all ready to go in 21 days one my rads are over with. Thanks too for your good wishes. I have absolutely no feelings towards this part of my journey, I have not over read about it and not feeling apprehensive. I just know I have to get on with it , get it over with and what will be will be. Taking each day as it comes and not making any plans over the next 20 days, other than my journey to and from the hospital, which is a long one. X

Misha11

Helena, thank you xxxx Yes it was my last day today, really pleased to put my hospital tunic in the laundry basket on the way out!! Will miss the people that were having rads at the same time as me during my 15 sessions, not all for the same thing. And a big shout out to my lovely nurses who made it much easier. Off to GP tomorrow to get Tamoxifen. 

Linda, have had shooting pains in my breast since the op which I was told were normal but talk to somebody about it if you are worried. Did get nauseous in the first week but found drinking plenty and eating before I went, helped a lot. 

Meri, sorry you having such a hard time of it. I have developed a lump where the original one was!! My initial lump was 4cm (mostly benign) and this lump isn't that much smaller. Had it checked and they were happy it was internal scarring. A friend of mine who went through this 5 years ago said her breast was lumpy for about a year afterwards, as if we haven't got enough to worry about!!

WMJ, Diane and all those still on the rads, much love xx

Fuertelover

No I didn't, but everyone reacts differently, you can tell them when you go tomorrow, the radiographers are very helpful. Gentle hugs for you x
welshlady66

Oh Meri your not having a good time of it I had cellulitus after my lymph node removal took three courses of antibiotics to sort out hope it gets sorted soon for you. I have a question for ladies who are already going through radiation after your first session did you get pain in the area the lump was, I had my session at 9.45 this morning  its wasnt too bad just very uncomfortable because of my fibro but by about 12.30 was having bad shooting pain where my lump used to be and pain in my back around my shoulder blade and felt quite nauseous went to bed and went out for count and the pain had gone when I woke up, well thats one down 14 to go x                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Linda

Meri

Is'nt starnge how we all reactso differently to rads.

I saw GP this morning, he not happy, and to top off my day found new lump formed above surgey site 😞 which will now need investigating.

I spoke with Breast care nurse, she speaking with Oncologist and surgeon tomorrow morning re looking at it.

Got more little blisters, asked for dressings at GP, he refused, and radiologist who said no till I seen as may be infection.

I so do not want more antibiotics, I just finished three weeks of these two weeks ago. 😞

For the first time after rad session today I nearly passed out when sat up, so drinking more in case its that, but as I need to take strong pain killers and diazepam before sessions for spine and shoulder thinks its all that together with heat.

I find the sun on breast, even through clothes extremely unpleasantly sore, using shawl for extra cover.

No way want to be outdoors in this heat, like you say its bit too much.

Hugs to all feeling rough, this will end, then we heal! 🙂

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jjmabbatt(Julie)

I have got down that you finished rads yesterday and I did not ring the bells for your last night =, so sorry but here you go, especially as it is your first day of not having to do that journey.

bell.jpg

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Misha

Have you finished your rads today?  I have got you down for today so ringing the bells for you

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Helena

Fuertelover

Dear Linda

Sure it is probably nothing, maybe a fluid lump, I don't know, but mention it when you are seen before your first treatment ! Today is my fifth one, so far , so good, but slathering lots of moisturiser & aloe vera gel on constantly! Do understand that the efffect is cumulative ! It is getting hotter, so wearing a dress today & taking a pair of trousers with me, but not too hot where it is done.

keep strong & good luck tomorrow.

Diane

WMJ

Hi all,

I am starting my radiotheraphy tomorrow. I will have 15 plus 5 busters.

I had lumpectomy, lump < 1cm removed with clear margins.

Unfortunately lymph node biopsy found infected nodes as did my full node clearance in all 14/29. Was a total shock and still getting my head around it. Some days are better than others but keeping myself occupied as best I can.

I am therefore also having to have radiotherapy under my arm, along with the chest wall etc.

Still struggling to recover from the full node clearance (18/5) boob very pink, swollen and in pain particularly at night. No infection and clearly hoping no more drainage required as it will further delay onset of rads.

Best of luck to all of you underway with your treatment.

XXX

welshlady66

Well this morning got up feeling a bit more upbeat done my usual moisurizing but right under the breast as was told by the nurse could get sore under there due to heat and rads and as I brushed my hand over felt a lump  though maybe it is me so had my daughter check see if she could feel it and sure enough she could feel it , got my first radiation tomorrow at 9.45 in morning so will have to tell them dont know if it will make any difference not thinking about it too much as it could be anything but checked the other side and there is nothing that side the same, dreading having the breast shield on in this weather hot skin plastic shell very uncomfortable in this weather, Hope everyone else is having trouble free radiation x                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Linda

Misha11

Well, isn't this great weather......if you were somewhere with air con and a pool!! Not so great if you are having your boob burnt everyday not to mention everything else we have to contend with. I guess we keep drinking, keep moisturising (I obviously have missed the margins at the beginning because I have started peeling and have blisters there.) Thinking of you all. Sara xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

SooBee

have your radiographers suggested using some polymem dressings.  When I was having a bit of a problem with my nipple they gave me some to put over it and it protected the skin against my bra, but it is really for when skin breaks down as it has something in it that helps dont know what though.  You can get it on prescription from your GP as well as they will probably only give you a couple.

Helena xx

Meri

Thanks Soobe

I had another review today to check skin, blisters definately developing, very hot too but its not spread so hopefully just inflammation from rads.

I see GP tomorrow morning to double check.

Had 6/15 session today.

I using mild antiseptic sudocream to dab on blisters, seemed to help at weekend.

But with this hot weather, hot and sore boob I just want to sit with cool pack 🙂

SooBee

Meri

I've just had my review. My skin is staring to blister and break down and they advised me to contact them if it gets any worse after I finish on Friday. I don't know about every hospital but mine has been amazing!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Soobee

And so you should be proud of yourself xxx

I wear v neck tops with capped sleeves which seems to be ok for me, as long as you have the breast covered up to the line where the rads were done.

Everyone is different and you might not have any effect but honesly I did not and have not found it that diffiicult, you could always just sleep in the car on the way.

xxx

SooBee

Helena my last treatment is at 9.30 on Friday! I've done it all on my own too so I'm secretly proud of myself.

Thanks for advice for the sun. I've bought lots of factor 50 and invested in a couple of polo shirts too. Although they'll be too warm I thought it would be safer than vest tops. I've also bought a big hat with the largest 'floppy' you've ever seen! 

I'm a bit concerned about the sudden tiredness but obviously I can't control that.

I'm nearly there girls! Woohoo!

Fuertelover

June 2017 radiotherapy

Good luck Misha, must be a relief to have come to the end, relatively unscathed !

Let's hope the next two weeks after rads are good too ! I will keep slathering on the moisturiser & hope xx

Misha11

My last session is on tuesday. Not doing too badly, although one is boob is definitely warmer than the other plus I get the occasional stabbing pains inside it. Moisturising like crazy, should have taken out shares in E45  and Aloe Vera!! Been feeling v tired the last couple of days but think that's a combination of the Rads, hot weather and the period from hell. xx

Fuertelover

Meri

Touch wood,neither, but 4th session tomorrow & the lady that reviewed me on Friday said the effect is cumulative ! I will tell you after another couple of days!

jDiane🙂🙂

Meri

Went out and got some E45 and little Savlon as seem to have few little blisters eeek!

Hot weather does not help hot boob!! LoL 🙂

I think my skin extra sensative due to infection, bit today inside is hurting, achy burning feeling.

I keep forgetting to do exercises, like my mind thinks well I did those for weeks, now can stop. But know I cannot but brain fog creeping in me thinks.

Just took some pain killers, giving in a little.:( but will survive 🙂

So ladies have any of you got any redness ? heated boob feeling?

🙂

ladybowler
Community Champion

SooBee

Ha ha we are all "girls" 🙂

The two weeks after is where the radiotherapy is still working on you so it is important to keep moisturising, drink plenty of fluid to counter the dehydration from the rads and just be aware of the possiblity of fatigue. I didnt suffer too badly, my breast got hotter and redder as the two weeks went on, but soon started to settle down and I had 20 sessions in total.  I was working through mine and I did find that I suffered a bit of fatigue and still on occasions do, but I recognise the signs, my shoulders go heavy and the next minute I am asleep but only for 10/15 mins max then I am fine.

What you will have to be VERY careful about is being out in the sun as that area will be very sensitive and could burn so much easier, so apply plenty of a high sunblock.  I play lawn green bowls and even though I have a polo shirt on I still apply a factor 50 to the breast area just in case.

We will be ringing them lovely bells for you on Friday, what time is your last session at?

Helena xxx

SooBee

I'm starting my last 5 rads tomorrow! So far so good. Just a tad tired. I'm a little bit concerned about the two week period following my treatment because we are driving to Spain. I've seen reference to it but don't know what to expect.  In the worst case scenario what might effect me please? 

P.S. I'm a four times a day E45 girl! I use the term girl extremely loosely!!

Fuertelover

Yes, I would like to have big group hug to all who are struggling, Iam sure & hoping we will all come out the otherside being grateful we are here!

Keep smiling & slather on the aloe vera gel & moisturiser.

Diane xx

Fuertelover

Yes, I would like to have big group hug to all who are struggling, Iam sure & hoping we will all come out the otherside being grateful we are here!

Keep smiling & slather onthealoe vera gel & moisturiser.

Diane xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

respect lady with eveytthing you are going through and you are doing it xxx

Your virtual group hug is very much appreciated by one and all.

Helena xxxx