cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2017 radiotherapy

195 REPLIES 195
KarenMc20

Re: June 2017 radiotherapy

Well, I thought I was holding it together not too badly but waking up to Day 8 of rads today I had a hot flush then a good cry at the thought of everything. Maybe also because it's Monday! On the plus side, I'm not too sore so far and have been slathering (what an excellent word) on my creams religiously.
Also a bonus this week as the machine is being serviced on Wednesday so I get a day off - hurrah! 😃
WMJ

Thanks Helena, it settled down quickly after I started to use udder cream. It is however red and a bit itchy at times, which I did expect. I have my son's wedding on Thursday so hoping I will be fine in my bra and nothing gets worse before then. I am making them a 3 tired carrot wedding cake so the cake baking starts today! X

ladybowler
Community Champion

WMJ

Give your rads team a call and speak to the review nurse, she will be able to make suggestions for what to do, might ask you to pop in and check you out.  She might suggest making an apt with your GP but I think they should see you. Did they say anything at the hospital when you had your last rads sessoin?

Helena xxx

WMJ

My skin has started to peel. Is this the start of it getting worse? X
WMJ

Thanks Helena....Only just looked on the site today. It has been such a long journey and I am so pleased to finish my active treatment. X

ladybowler
Community Champion

WMJ

i am so sorry that I missed ringing the bells for your yesterday as you finished your rads so this is an extra special very loud one for you.  We are having the double glazing replaced in the house and I am bowling every evening so dont knowif I am coming or going at the moment,

Youve done that it all done and so very well done to you coz you have been through rather a lot to get to this point

Lots of love Helena xxx

bell.jpg

WMJ

Sorry to hear you are both struggling, meri & Fuertelover. I have our sons wedding 9 days after my rads finish so hoping I am going to be okay for that. X
WMJ

Thanks Helena, having a simply lovely day today so far. Have a good weekend. X

Fuertelover

Poor you, just hope it starts improving soon. My breast is still hot & blistery up to a point above,  where it is worse, but it is bearable, although felt very nauseous today, I started Extemesane on Wednesday, so don't know if it is RT or hormones. I am not wearing a bra, haven't since start of RT, wear a cotton camisole & anything cotton over the top, has helped I think!

just have to think it is helping to keep cancer at bay.

Dianexx

Meri

Ok this two weeks after is not nice!

As told burns have got worse, I am red raw, skin peeling off in blisters, have dressings over whole breast now.

So painful.

Oncologist says its is extreme reaction, which seems to be my bodies norm! so frustrating 🙂

One more week then should start healing.

I feel like I am being burnt from inside out, like microwave, new blisters each day, skin under breast and nipple is worst, bleeding and weeping (breast and moi!)

But although its horrid I am being positive, just so tired of this all.

In ten days I gping away for weeks holiday just hoping healing by then.

How are you finding the two weeks after sessions finish?

ladybowler
Community Champion

WMJ

Yay you are nearly there and the light is shining brightly at the end of the tunnel now which will be met with a loud ringing of those bells for you.

I remember the one day going in and the nurse asked me how I was, I promptly nurst into tears, saying I cant do this any more, my life is being controlled by this one apt every day and I have had enough.  A hug from the nurse and some big tissues and I was ready to have my session 🙂

Sending you a nice gentle hug and wishes for a restful weekend

Helena xxx

WMJ

Thank goodness for the weekend! 😊

Not great for me yesterday as awful pain in shoulder and down arm, ended up in tears and once you start you can't stop...well that's what I find, doesn't happen often thank goodness. Anyway today's another day and feeling much brighter. 13/20 done and Monday I am to be sized up for the booster, which is the last 5.

Best wishes to you all.

X

Tigony

Yes, I just have a funny smaller brown freckly bosom with a blue nipple now to show for my adventures.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

So glad you liked them, it is great to know that you dont have to do that anymore but just be kind to yourself for the next couple of weeks as you will still geel the effects of the rads xxxx

Fuertelover

Meri , so glad things are going your way now, you deserve it! They gave me a couple of gel pads when I finished, but you have been much worse, mine only started last Friday, but realised that I am going to have to wear t shirts to keep the burn covered! Started my Extemesane today, here's hoping not many side effects.Diane xx
Meri

Congrats to all who have finished sessions 🙂

I saw oncologist today, it turns out I was allergic to Tamoxifen, so now prescribed Letrozole but not till I have healed.

She says swelling is intense reaction to radiation, not fluid phew!, and will slowly lesson, as will burns.

I am trying out Medihoney barrier cream and ordered gel, its so soothing as well as natural antibacterial.

Whilst in pain, got strong painkillers, I feel like turned a corner.

I will pop over to July thread now and then and of course Letrozole when I start.

Thank you all so much 🙂 I feel you all held my hand, I was not so alone, thankyou.

Misha11

Congratulations Tigony. Enjoy those bells xx

Tigony

Thank you so much lovely ladybowler. I feel happy it is over, and so pleased with my bells. 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

Yay, sorry it is late but i have been bowling and then doing dinner.  You've done it, no more treatment, just keep up with everything over the next two weeks and be kind to yourself, ringing the bells loud and clear for you

bell.jpg

Helena xxxx

Tigony

It's over. 15 sessions down and I feel I got off lightly. 2 more weeks while whatever it is works its way through. A life time of sun  block and being careful in the sun, which I am generally. I could not be more grateful for all the care and sweetness of the staff at the various hospitals. I usually research everything, but this time I couldn't be bothered. I figure they know what they are doing and just let them get one with it. Thank you all for everything, every message. And best of luck to anyone still going through rads.

Misha11

Hi Meri,

Congrats on getting to the end despite all the complications. Have a great weekend. Onwards and upwards xx

Fuertelover

Meri

Well done for completing all your rads, despite your problems, onwards & upwards to full health! Xx

Tigony

So pleased it is over for you at last, Meri.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

Whoop whoop whoop, thats it all done, end of active treatment for you, you did despite everything that was thrown at you and what you have been through, you are there.

Have a peaceful and hopefully not too uncomfortable evening and here are those bells which are ringind very loudly for you mate xxx

bell.jpg

Helena xxxx

Meri

Yeh! Just had last radiotherapy session!!! 🙂

Slapped on sudocream, so soothing aaahhhhhh 🙂

Now got next two weeks to hopefully get through without getting worse, then see oncologist about swelling, which possibly fluid build up.

I took cakes and chocolates into unit so was like party time for all, bought a smile to few peoples faces 🙂

And after my written suggestion they told me they getting a Bell for the unit!!! So thats a result.

I will still be going back but just for massage, counselling, workshops which in same building.

I feel so releived, now I am crashing!!! Thanks all for your support, hugs to all, gentle ones especially for those struggling like me, we will get there and does mean radiation is working on killing those cancer cells 🙂

Fuertelover

Oh Meri, you do sound in a bad way, hope it will settle down soon.
Tigony

He is one of those narcissistic personality disorders, believes he is entitled to everything while doing nothing to deserve it! Anyway, I am better than all of this, and need to get past it all. Light at the end of the tunnel now I hope. Thank you for all your encouragement, you lovely ladies.

Meri

Yes using cold gel packs, but get hot so quickly as my boob so hot 🙂
Meri

Thanks Ladyblower and others, congrats go all who finished sessions 🙂

I have my last session with booster today.

But oh I am so sore and swollen. I am taking stronger painkillers as its so painful inside as well.

Nerves so stretched they gone numb under breast.

Nipple is red raw and oozing, last night as in so much pain slavered nipple with Sudocream which soothed it so much phew.

Washed off now as told not to use it but taking with me for sudocream bath when finished!!! LoL 🙂

I see oncologist on 12th July, I have dressings, but radiologits thibk swelling so much caused by fluid build up again.

All I know is every day it gets bigger and tighter and more sore.

Any reccomendations re creams, dressings apreciate.

Thank you

ladybowler
Community Champion

Diane

The bells are going to be busy on Tuesday evening 🙂

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

Oh dont you worry I will be ringing them on here and on the July one to make sure you hear them xxx

Oh he sounds like a particularly nasty character who deserve karma, but I am sure you have a really good solicitor fighting your corner.

I did find that I was ok after my rads finished, however I did experience a bit more fatigue during the second week, but it was only that I would come home from work, my shoulders would go very heavy and the next minute I would be asleep for 10/15 mins, wake up and be ok again.  I do still occasionally experience it but is more due to my doing too much and my body just lets me know, but that was all I experienced.  I did make sure I carried out moisturising and keep my fuild intake up during that time which I am certain helped massively.

Helena xxx

Fuertelover

Sorry, forgot to say, you hang on to the house, he doesn't deserve it or you !
Fuertelover

Yes, I too am very grateful for not having reactions & like you finish on Tuesday. Just going out shortly for my 12.20 appt
Dianexx
Tigony

I so much appreciate the lovely hug. There is good news as far as the rads is concerned. As I have had no reaction so far, and had #12 last night, the nurse said it was unlikely I would have one now. I don't even feel tired although I am taking it easy today as my whirlwind of a 16 year old son comes home tomorrow, and he is pretty challenging! It is an immense relief, and I feel very much for the other ladies who have found it so tough. I finish on Tuesday, so perhaps should move over to July to receive those lovely ringing bells. I assume I will feel tired afterwards for a bit, but hope not for too long as we go on holiday mid July. Meanwhile the toxic ex thinks he can steal half the house I paid for ... while reserving the privilege of 'not working'. He really is the most peculiarly nasty man.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

This is it your last rads session, dont know what time it is at but thinking about you and in so much admiration for how you have got through this treatment with all the issues it has thrown at you, but you have done it lady and I am going to be looking forward to ringing the bells, and they are going to be enormous ones, for you later.

Helena xxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tigony

Thats what we are here for, this is the safe place where you can let go and know that there are ladies who understand and get where you are at.

Sending you a lovely hug my dear xxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

WMJ

Well you will soon be half way through and the end is definitely in sight, we will soon be ringing those bells for you mate. Are you having 5 boosters or is it 20 regular?

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ladies

I have started a new thread July 2017 radiotherapy for the ladies who are continuing their rads into July and for the ladies who will be starting theirs in July.

Helena xx

WMJ

I am back for number 7/20today. My boob is red and consultant said it is reacting quicker than it would normally do, so i may get worse and to be prepared for that but it would recover quickly. Just taking arch day as it comes, slapping on vcream etc. My arm appears to be getting tighter and is feeling a lot more painful. I believe this is because I am having under my arm zapped too. 

Good to read your posts & the best of luck to you all. X

Fuertelover

Not long now Meri, hang in there, gentle hugs Diane x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Meri

Just wanted to send you good wishes you have really gone through it with the rads, but you stuck with it and you are so nearly there.  I will be ringing those bells very loudly for you on Friday

Helena xxx

Misha11

Hi Meri, I am sorry to hear how much grief you are going through. I hope your Rads team are taking good care of you. There was a lady having rads the same time as me and they had a consultant to come and look at her to see if it would be better if she stopped. She only had two sessions to go. Have they mentioned stopping or taking a break to you as you are suffering so much?

Tigony, your 16 year old sounds like a true gent and a credit to you x

Tigony

Thinking of you. That sounds so painful and difficult. I really feel for you. Are cold compresses any good?

Meri

Three more to go 🙂

Breast fit to burst as so swollen, all radiologists worried as also hot and red.

Got Oncology appt on 12th July so hoping she can reassure me nothing too nasty happening inside.

Must admit to tears as its so painfully stretched, nipple area so tender, lost skin sensation under breast wierdly too.

Using dressing for underneath breast as skin tearing 😞

But nearly finished and after the two weeks add on effects hopefully will be on road to recovery.

Thoughts with you all 🙂

Fuertelover

Hi Tigony Sorry tohear of all your problems, understand about the divorce, as my daughter's divorce dragged on & on & she is now settling in to a tiny flat, but thankful the divorce is over!  At least your youn gest child is there for you, I think adult children don't really want to know, as they worry about you! Hopethings will start getting better for you.xx

Tigony

Hello everyone, I have had number 9 and it all seems to be going quickly, unlike my bloody divorce which has slowed to snail's pace again, adding tremendous stress to the whole bitter cocktail. The BC seems the least of it right now, as if I don't have space in my head fully to think about it. I feel immensely sad and very lonely. My adult children prefer to listen to my reassurance than my requests for help. My son, 25, is positively hostile, reminding me sadly of his father's awful behaviour whenever I was sick. Sorry to have a moan, as in many ways it is going well, I just feel very sad just now. I worry about my poor 16 year old, the most empathetic of my children. He now knows as his GCSEs are over, and his attempts to comfort are so adorable that they make me cry too. He wants to give me a spa day, paid for out of his tiny allowance. The holidays are coming, and i have to put on a brave face for him, and can't just wallow like I do at the moment. Which would probably be a good thing. Anyway, if I didn't have here to expose my rawness, I think it would not be good. Thank you all.

Fuertelover

Hi Misha, Glad you feel okay, shame about your poor dog, hope she is better soon! Have my last one a week today, just hope my skin holds out!

Misha11

Hi Diane,

Feel fine after finishing apart from the itchiness and shooting pains which seems to have gone this evening. And for the moment, any fatigue I was feeling seems to have worn off although slightly distracted by a sick dog. No chance of me being the only underweather female in this house x

Fuertelover

Hi 

You are lucky to have any music, I don't get anything.  I am hoping my skin holds out, another week to go, skin pink, but keep moisturising & also aloe vera.  How do you feel a week after finishing?

Misha11

Lin, glad you got some half decent music, I got to listen to some real dirge during my sessions lol.

So it's just under a week since I finished and skin seems to still be holding up well but the itching in the last 24 hours is driving me mad. Just keeping up with the moisturising....